Photo
- - - - -

C60@home with elderly feline

lynx domestic cat c60oo olive oil elderly frail

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 YOLF

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Definitely looking forward to hearing about your cat's experiences with C60oo. Have you noticed any behavior that might indicate effects that are similar to humans?

#32 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm not sure. She was still little more than a kitten when she started on supplements so I gave her a 3-month break from resveratrol/astragalus right before resuming it together with starting c60oo. She still runs around like a mad kitty on occasion but not as continuously. And she now gets what I consider a typical 14 hours of sleep a day which she didn't used to. So I think she's slowly maturing into a cat. She hasn't gotten what I consider fat but I think she's gotten pretty long for her breed, however. I'll post here stats and maybe pics when I get home in a couple days.

Howard

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Lynx got his third dose of 0.30ml today. I mixed it with tuna. He lapped up most of the juice/liquid but did not eat much of the tuna meat. He probably got less than half the dose. He still seems ok (not in too much discomfort) except that he is very thin, just skin-n-bones. He still eats small amounts of food everyday.

Attached Files

#34 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Lynx did not eat anything on Sunday, even though he seemed very interested in food. This had me very worried. I thought maybe it was the end. Then he started eating again on Monday and has eaten more on Tuesday and Wednesday. More and more, my wife and I think he has some sort-of problem with his mouth, nose, or throat. There are no obvious sign of trauma or cancer, but we had a cat a few years ago that lost weight in a similar manner and eventually died because she had a tumor in her throat that went undetected (for at least 6 months) until it was too big to deal with effectively and it killed her.

#35 YOLF

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Is he loosing a tooth?

#36 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Is he loosing a tooth?

During his last two visits at the doctor's office, they could not find anything obviously wrong with his mouth or teeth. Next time, I am going to ask them to look a little closer.

#37 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

The latest pictures of Lynx. I am splitting up the dose over two days now because the olive oil in the C60oo I have is very high quality and pungent. I don't want Lynx to vomit. So far, C60oo is not a miracle cure after three weeks of treatment (for whatever ails him), but I did not expect it to help in that way too much. It is really just a shot-in-the-dark. Lynx is still eating, but only a little each day.

The one close up picture is supposed to show his recent drooling problem. He drools on himself when eating and drinking. Another symptom that makes us think there is something wrong with his mouth or tongue.

Attached Files

#38 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

So far, C60oo is not a miracle cure after three weeks of treatment

At least we have a clear result for short term effects ;) (better than what I had with my mice: gradually very positive response that then disapears). If the long term effects exist indeed and are so robust that they depend little on the animal, I guess we will first get results from mice (my mice who *seem* to be having effects, and the distributed experiment that should be much more robust I hope).

#39 YOLF

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Mine had some eating problems a few months ago, then got some antibiotics for a kidney/liver infection and recovered pretty well. We reduced his food and he's lost weight, now he's chasing his tail and other improvised toys. He's become very active. I haven't given him the C60 yet though. Gunna wait until his weight is normalized for a while and might add some other stuff to reduce the chance of age related diseases taking him.

Is he loosing a tooth?

During his last two visits at the doctor's office, they could not find anything obviously wrong with his mouth or teeth. Next time, I am going to ask them to look a little closer.

#40 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Mine had some eating problems a few months ago, then got some antibiotics for a kidney/liver infection and recovered pretty well. We reduced his food and he's lost weight, now he's chasing his tail and other improvised toys. He's become very active. I haven't given him the C60 yet though. Gunna wait until his weight is normalized for a while and might add some other stuff to reduce the chance of age related diseases taking him.

Is he loosing a tooth?

Great to hear of your cat's recovery. Lynx did not respond very much to antibiotic therapy, even though most of his symptoms and age point to kidney or liver problems.

Lynx got some C60oo again over the last two days. In one of the pictures you can see how he turns his head to the side while eating. He has always been a slow eater but now, since his weight loss problem, he seems to labor even more, turning his head to the side and slowly chewing for many seconds while trying to ingest a small piece of food. I finally convinced the doctor to take a closer look at Lynx's oral cavity/teeth during his next visit.

Attached Files

#41 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Did the vet check his throat for signs of tumors?

#42 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Did the vet check his throat for signs of tumors?

Lynx has an appointment with the doctor for an in depth oral examination this Wednesday. He will have to be sedated which has me a little worried, because he is quite frail.

The good news is that over the last two days he has been eating quite well - as in a higher volume of food - so much so that he might start to gain weight again if he keeps it up (fingers crossed).

#43 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Good Luck, Lynx!

#44 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Lynx was sedated about 10 days ago in order for a close up throat and mouth examination. There was nothing obvious. In fact, his entire oral cavity (and teeth) was in very good shape for his age. Lynx continues to lose weight, maybe an ounce or two per week, which is worrisome because he is already very thin and soon I suspect his body will start cannibalizing more critical bone and muscle. The good news is that we got him some very soft high calorie food which he likes. We hope he will start eating more and gaining weight, but I am not too optimistic. I suspect he has some sort-of undetectable organ malfunction/disease or cancer. He got his C60oo last week and this week, but I forgot to take pictures last week. I think I can say that the C60 is non-toxic for cats in the short term, but not some sort-of miracle cure (which I didn't really expect - but a guy can hope).

Attached Files

#45 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

You may want to try getting some Coconut oil into him Mind.
I have been sucessfull in treating a bad case of cat herpies with it.
See Pubmed references here on the anti viral & bacterial etc. effects:

http://www.coconutre...he Evidence.htm
http://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/

Signed
Coconutz Pimp!
:-D

#46 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

The latest pictures of Lynx. I am splitting up the dose over two days now because the olive oil in the C60oo I have is very high quality and pungent. I don't want Lynx to vomit. So far, C60oo is not a miracle cure after three weeks of treatment (for whatever ails him), but I did not expect it to help in that way too much. It is really just a shot-in-the-dark. Lynx is still eating, but only a little each day.

The one close up picture is supposed to show his recent drooling problem. He drools on himself when eating and drinking. Another symptom that makes us think there is something wrong with his mouth or tongue.

Could Lynx have eaten slug pellets or animals poisoned with them? That results in a lot of drooling.

#47 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestions johnross and Logic.

I might try to incorporate cocnut oil. Not so much for the anti-microbial effect, but for increased caloric intake.

I had not heard of slug pellets before. I don't think we have any of them around our house, but I am going to check. Since the illness commenced 6-8 months ago and has been a slow progression, I think poisoning is not too likely, but you never know.

#48 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Lynx is still alive and is still eating small amounts of food (some days more, some days less), but does not appear to be getting any healthier. He is still extremely thin and frail. He got another dose of c60 this week. My leading theory is that he has some sort-of cancer (which is common in older pets). Something that could not be detected by blood testing. Maybe brain cancer. Maybe stomach cancer.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#49 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Lynx made it through another week. He ate well for a few days, but not much today. Not much change in his condition, maybe slightly worse. The C60 has not done anything spectacular for him, but this was just a shot-in-the-dark anyway.

One thing that change this week was that his eyes started accumulating more mucus. Any thought of whether C60 would cause this? I thought someone ad mentioned that it might have a propensity of building up in the eyes.

Also, I started going with a different feeding schedule (not sure why), I gave him 0.2 ml on Wednesday and another 0.2 ml on Saturday.

Attached Files

• like x 1

#50 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

This is a good experiment, I hope your cat gets better.

My cat is 14 and starting to show signs of disease. In the past the vet has told us they found crystals in his urine, so I suspect he has minor kidney problems. He does not eat much anymore and acts a little funny. I have started giving him 400mg 98% resveratrol (almost daily, or at least when I can get manage to sneak it into his food.)

#51 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

One thing that change this week was that his eyes started accumulating more mucus. Any thought of whether C60 would cause this? I thought someone ad mentioned that it might have a propensity of building up in the eyes.

I can't think of any reason why it would. Maybe a slight infection? I hope Lynx is hanging in there.

#52 Chupo

• 321 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

The C60 has not done anything spectacular for him, but this was just a shot-in-the-dark anyway.

He might not be getting better but it's possible that he may have already passed without the C60. I wish him the best.

#53 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Our cat got bad eye mucus. Also nose. Diagnosed with feline herpies. Meds didnt help much untill adding Coconut oil.
NB: Herpies is a lipid coated virus.
You have nothing to lose by trying it Mind. :)

#54 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

This is a good experiment, I hope your cat gets better.

My cat is 14 and starting to show signs of disease. In the past the vet has told us they found crystals in his urine, so I suspect he has minor kidney problems. He does not eat much anymore and acts a little funny. I have started giving him 400mg 98% resveratrol (almost daily, or at least when I can get manage to sneak it into his food.)

IDK the proper dose for a cat, but high dose resv is not good for kidneys. high does resv is actually nephrotoxic.

Edited by prophets, 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#55 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

hmm, this was on lef.org: "Resveratrol, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory potential, has been utilized in studies to prevent drug-induced kidney damage. The following results were noted when rats, exposed to antibiotic gentamicin, were treated with resveratrol: 1) nephrotoxicity was significantly reduced, 2) more rapid healing of injured kidney tissue was attained, and 3) a dramatic reduction in markers of oxidant injury was observed (Silan 2007). A team of toxicologists in Brazil demonstrated its protective power against cisplatin, the powerful chemotherapy agent responsible for so much drug-induced kidney damage (Do Amaral 2008). Finally, Indian pharmacologists were successful in protecting animal kidneys from damage caused by cyclosporine A (another common chemotherapy and immune suppressant drug) by pre-treating the animals with resveratrol (Chander 2005(b))."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21975863

I will certainly stop feeding him resveratrol if it will cause harm. Does anyone else have more insight/links in regards to this? I read that 5 grams induced liver failure in humans with bone marrow cancer, but I think that is an exception

#56 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,119 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I can't think of any reason why it would. Maybe a slight infection? I hope Lynx is hanging in there.

Most likely it is just gradual deterioration. He is losing his sense of balance as well.

#57 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

hmm, this was on lef.org: "Resveratrol, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory potential, has been utilized in studies to prevent drug-induced kidney damage. The following results were noted when rats, exposed to antibiotic gentamicin, were treated with resveratrol: 1) nephrotoxicity was significantly reduced, 2) more rapid healing of injured kidney tissue was attained, and 3) a dramatic reduction in markers of oxidant injury was observed (Silan 2007). A team of toxicologists in Brazil demonstrated its protective power against cisplatin, the powerful chemotherapy agent responsible for so much drug-induced kidney damage (Do Amaral 2008). Finally, Indian pharmacologists were successful in protecting animal kidneys from damage caused by cyclosporine A (another common chemotherapy and immune suppressant drug) by pre-treating the animals with resveratrol (Chander 2005(b))."

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21975863

I will certainly stop feeding him resveratrol if it will cause harm. Does anyone else have more insight/links in regards to this? I read that 5 grams induced liver failure in humans with bone marrow cancer, but I think that is an exception

I'd be afraid that resveratrol would possibly do more harm than good in a cat that didn't have sepsis and wasn't getting any potent oxidant drugs like the above. The paper says that in the case of sepsis, resveratrol's mechanism of action is via its action on Reactive Nitrogen Species. (I'd presume ROS as well) If RNS/ROS is also a part of the typical kidney problems of older cats, then that would be something that c60-oo might well be protective of. However, I don't know if typical cat kidney disease has an oxidative component or not.

#58 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thanks, I will no longer administer him resveratrol. do you think that even a very low dose would not be worth the possible negative effects?

Edited by Adaptogen, 11 February 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#59 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thanks, I will no longer administer him resveratrol. do you think that even a very low dose would not be worth the possible negative effects?

The human study where 5 grams was associated with kidney problems, was a multiple-myoloma study, where the subjects were also administered velcade, which has toxic side effects of kidney and/or liver failure. Diabetics administered a five gram dose showed no such effect (in Sirtris' study ... the velcade/resveratrol study was by their purchaser, glaxo.) So no conclusion as to toxicity is really possible.

The only other study I recall showing negative kidney effects was in rats administered something like a five gram dose, which is a significant portion of their body weight. Problems were probably mechanical, passing so much reseratrol through the kidneys. I doubt any reasonable or affordable dose of resveratrol will have a negative effect on a feline. Which is not to say it will necessarily help.

It's very painful watching a beloved pet deteriorate with age.

#60 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the response, I think I will keep him on it for the time being.

I have been looking for a use for this resveratrol anyway, just small doses gave me joint pain. hopefully animals don't experience this negative side effect that many people have reported

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lynx, domestic cat, c60oo, olive oil, elderly, frail

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users