• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Can a high dose of Choline Bitartrate cause lucid dreaming?

choline choline bitartrate lucid dream

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adam90

• 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Yesterday I took a 8 gram dose of Choline Bitartrate in the evening, which resulted in me having very clear and lucid dreams the following night (I haven't had one in a very long time). Is this a common effect and are such doses safe?

#2 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

Why would people want lucid dreams? I'm just genuinely curious.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 Adam90

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

It's fun, you can do all sorts of things (e.g. fly and it still feels 'real').

#4 Unstoppable

• 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

8 grams is not a safe dose, I believe up to 3 grams of choline is safe

#5 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Okey dokey.

I lucid dream every night. It's all nightmares.

#6 Adam90

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

IIRC,Choline Bitartrate is only ~41% Choline ..so, 8 grams of Ch.Bit would be only 3.3 grams of Choline.

#7 caspar

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Okey dokey.

I lucid dream every night. It's all nightmares.

Kind of totally unrelated, but I feel like I should help you out here. If you're aware of the fact that you are having a nightmare you should realize that since it is your imagination, you have the power to change the dream into something positive.

#8 Adam90

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Kind of totally unrelated, but I feel like I should help you out here. If you're aware of the fact that you are having a nightmare you should realize that since it is your imagination, you have the power to change the dream into something positive.

Captain Obvious, you signed up just to post that?
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#9 Unstoppable

• 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

IIRC,Choline Bitartrate is only ~41% Choline ..so, 8 grams of Ch.Bit would be only 3.3 grams of Choline.

Which is still 10% over max safety dose concidering you get 0 from diet, which means you should spend less on supplements and more on proper food.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#10 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

There's some pretty interesting science regarding acetylcholine and norepinephrine in the brain during various states of consciousness. The locus ceruleus (the "master control center" for norepinephrine in the brain) is active only when you're awake, and during deep non-REM sleep -- not during REM sleep. The nucleus basalis (control center for acetylcholine) is active only when you're awake, and during REM sleep -- not during deep sleep.

Furthermore, noradrenergic antidepressants are known to have strong anti-REM sleep effects. They reduce or sometimes even eliminate REM sleep altogether, which might play some role in their antidepressant effects. Occasionally, psychiatrists will prescribe noradrenergic or combined serotonergic/noradrenergic antidepressants to intentionally reduce dreaming, as in nightmare disorder or PTSD.

Cholinergic agents, on the other hand, frequently affect dreams. Varenicline (aka "Chantix"), a cholinergic nicotine cessation aid, is famous for drastically affecting dreamscapes. Also, many people take various combinations of acetylcholine precursors, like choline citrate and centrophenoxine, as lucid dream enhancers. Some people even combine choline sources with galantamine, which further boosts acetylcholine levels, or with piracetam or aniracetam.

Summary: (Acetyl)choline plays a huge role in dreaming, and some people intentionally take high doses to improve lucid dreaming abilities.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, choline bitartrate, lucid dream

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users