• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Am I interpreting these studies correctly? That OCD sufferers should stay away from Choline supplements?

choline ocd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kris111

• 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:14 PM

In a couple of studies done on OCD people (see this this, and this), it was found that their brain scans showed above average increase in Choline or had positive correlation to choline.  So that would mean they have excess Choline. Am I interpreting that correctly?

If yes, does that mean OCD sufferers are better off staying away from choline supplementation.

If so, that is confusing, since the more conventional outlook from prior studies suggest that Choline supplementation actually helps in reduction of OCD (when taken with cofactors like inositol)

So maybe I am interpreting the above-linked studies wrong, or maybe there is a contradictory role that choline plays here in case of OCD? 

Thoughts?

Edited by Kris111, 08 February 2022 - 09:16 PM.

#2 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 02:27 PM

I tried inositol twice for OCD.  Both times I continued my way to the 16g per day dose for OCD.  Both times upon getting there, I got chest pain.  This was terrifying, so I stopped.

When I take B vitamins, my OCD goes crazy.  This happens with regular, with coenzymated, with large doses, and with small doses..  Additionally, I feel like rubbish whenever I take them.  Seriously, if I take B vitamins for a few days, even little doses, like 1/10 of a capsule, I will have no energy, headaches, brain fog, zero motivation.  Your impression?

Edited by ironfistx, 13 February 2022 - 03:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:39 AM

No, that does not mean they have "excess" choline.

If you read the first study it stated probable neurodegeneration based on higher total choline (possibly due to loss of myelin and subsequent leftover garbage made of choline)

Phosphatidyl Choline is necessary to REPAIR neurodegeneration.

Of note was the high glutamate -- which points to excess glutamate signaling or an imbalance in the gaba/glutamate system.

That may be a basis for why benzodiazepines work for OCD.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: choline, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users