* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#571 heyeddy

• 23 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

I have started taking NR yesterday (250mg morning on empty stomach). So far the only thing I experience is sleepiness and I don't want to sound like an idiot but I have been experiencing erotic dreams for the last two nights. lol. 

• Cheerful x 3
  • Needs references x 1

#572 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:14 AM

After not taking any niagen for a few weeks I decided to try one capsule today.  Later in the evening the pain I've been having in my foot came back more than it has bothered me in weeks.  It is like the bottom of my foot is stretching or scraping when I walk which could be planatar fascitiis.  I'm not saying the niagen is acusing it but it seems to bother me mor ewhen I take it.  I take 6,000IU of vitamin D per day.

#573 heyeddy

• 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:38 AM

I have been experiencing mild "insomnia" for the past 3 nights. Meaning I wake up in the middle of a night and I'm not quite sure why. Other than that my mood seems to be bit more stabilized but no effect on fatigue imho.

#574 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

Re-posted to the Niagen Nicotinamide Riboside LONGECITY Group Buy

Edited by APBT, 19 May 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#575 romtm

• 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

Re-posted to the NicotinamideRiboside (NR)/Niagen vendor vetting and discussion

Edited by APBT, 19 May 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#576 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

Just a reminder, please try to keep posts on the thread topic – thanks. 

#577 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

If you are having joint pain what brand of NR are you dosing?

At first, in mid-December, I tried both Live Cell Research and HPN's brands. By Jan, I was using just Live Cell Research. I assume both brands are reliable but I was dosing 1250 mg. sublingually and I found HPN's fillers more voluminous and grittier. I know they make a sublingual powder now, but that has fillers designed to taste good which I don't need, isn't any cheaper and would require measuring. 

The tendonitis or whatever it is getting slowly better without stopping the Niagen--though it has stopped me from raising it to 2000 mg yet. I'm still agnostic as to whether the Niagen caused it. That hadn't occurred to me until I saw several other posts here describing something very similar in feet/ankles. And as you're implying yeah possibly the fillers could be a cause though Id think they'd be selected to be pretty inert.

I have a half baked theory that a pathogen that is a NAD+ (or related) auxotroph is resident but benign in some people until they increase their levels of NAD+  or Nam or something along those lines.
The pathogen then has more of what it needs to 'go big' and attacks tendons.

The Leishmania parasite is (contracted from sandfly bites) is sometimes mentioned in relation to tendon issues and assimilates NAD+ precursors (nicotinamide, nicotinic acid, nicotinamide riboside) from its host.

http://www.longecity...n-by-pathogens/

I note that some resveratrol users had similar issues, which were ameliorated by vit D.
I think the reason D worked  when taking Resv is:

Synergistic induction of human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide gene expression by vitamin D and stilbenoids.

"...We discovered that two stilbenoids, resveratrol and pterostilbene, induced CAMP promoter-luciferase expression. Synergistic activation was observed when either stilbenoid was combined with 1α,25(OH)2 D3. Both stilbenoids increased CAMP mRNA and protein levels in the monocyte cell line U937 and synergy was observed in both U937 and the keratinocyte cell line, HaCaT. Inhibition of resveratrol targets sirtuin-1, cyclic AMP production and the c-Jun N-terminal, phosphoinositide 3 and AMP-activated kinases did not block induction of CAMP by resveratrol or synergy with 1α,25(OH)2 D3. Nevertheless, inhibition of the extracellular signal regulated 1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinases, increased CAMP gene expression in combination with 1α,25(OH)2 D3 suggesting that inhibition of these kinases by resveratrol may explain, in part, its synergy with vitamin D..."
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24039193

So those taking the NR with Pterostilbene (or/and resveratrol) in it can give some vit D a try.

Candida glabrata probably doesn't cause tendon issues, but the Candida species is generally a nasty, biofilm forming, hangover causing, cancer associated fungus.

More joining the dots:

In Vitro and In Vivo Activities of Pterostilbene against Candida albicans Biofilms

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4023736/

Did the scientists know this and add Pterostilbene to:

1. Keep Candida under control
  2. And increase NAD+ by eliminating this auxotroph in the process!?

Hmmmm...!??   ;)

Hopefully someone else here will do a bit of digging on this and keep joining the dots...?

Reading that was interesting, although I don't think that is what is happening here.  It's possible there is something that is being helping by the pills.  I don't think it's Leishmaniasis, actually, because I don't have any lesions.

From what I had read, I thought people were getting tendonitis from resveratrol because it depleted copper.

Since I took the last dose of niagen the pain in my fingers has gotten worse as has the pain in my foot.  When I walk it feels like the bottom of my foot is pulling.  It's a sharp pain by the balls of my foot across the surface.

From what I have experienced it seems like my body just isn't recoverying from stuff.  I was walking a lot and then my foot started hurting.  I was doing some things with my hands and then my fingers started hurting.  It's like things that should go away on their own in a day just stay there.

I read that niacin can cause gout.  Is that related?  Maybe that's what I hve.  It definitely seems correlated with when I take the pills.

#578 Frank Vlassenbroeck

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

Here is some further feedback on my results with Optimized Resveratrol with NAD+ Cell Regenerator from LEF (see other results in my earlier post). I have now taken it for a few months, and have noticed one additional benefit. My skin is getting much better (not that is was bad before). So much so that several people have noticed this and told me. I didn't expect this one!

#579 HyperDown

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

I just wanted to chime in here to say that I used Niagen myself for about 2 months, and also developed a weird issue with my foot during that time.

I'm not sure if it was related to tendon or cartilage or what, but I was having a sharp pain in the joint where my big toe joins the rest of the foot.  It has gone away since stopping the Niagen.  I experienced this before I read some similar comments in this thread, so I don't think it was the power of suggestion.  Of course, It could have been a coincidence, and I will probably test the Niagen again.

Edited by HyperDown, 26 May 2015 - 05:05 PM.

#580 Frank Vlassenbroeck

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

Anyone know if Niagen should be taken every day, or e.g. after a month stop taking it for a week or so? I have now been taking it for 3 months, and I was suddenly REALLY tired and my head felt weird. Not sure if this is because of the pills, or just a coincidence.

• Agree x 1

#581 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

My problem with Niagen is something many people would hope to have. I find it makes me lose weight and I don't want to. I was around 141 at 5'9" and I dropped to 137 without realizing it. I now have to fight to get back to 140 (I eat very little junk food of any kind and have practiced CR and exercise [with intense sprints] for years. Forty years ago I weighed 197.

I'm assuming it is because of my body's increased activity level.

#582 PerfectSeek

• 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

I notice very little from NR other than a transient increase in energy.  Been taking 250mg - 500mg daily for several months upon waking.  I recently added 50mg pterostilbene, perhaps there will be some synergy.  I've stopped a few times, and notice a slight decrease in energy, but the difference is small enough that it could be attributed to placebo.  

#583 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Niagen has to be cycled for optimum results
  • Needs references x 1

#584 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

Niagen has to be cycled for optimum results

References? Why?
  • Agree x 2

#585 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Well it says so on the Nicotinamide Riboside bottle from HPN. I'm assuming Niagen is the same.

#586 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

Anyone know if Niagen should be taken every day, or e.g. after a month stop taking it for a week or so? I have now been taking it for 3 months, and I was suddenly REALLY tired and my head felt weird. Not sure if this is because of the pills, or just a coincidence.

On HPN's capsules (bottle) and also powder (tub) it says..... "After each bottle we recommend discontinuing usage for 3-5 days for maximum effectiveness"

• like x 1

#587 Frank Vlassenbroeck

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.c...ancer.html?_r=0

#588 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:40 AM

Interesting article:

Off-topic for 2 reasons - 1) it is about nicotinamide and 2) at the very least should have been posted here: http://www.longecity...ws-and-updates/ if any parallels with NR were intended.

Edited by aribadabar, 31 May 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#589 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hi, all. I have read all of this thread, and the NR News & Updates thread.

This is my first time posting (except for my Intro), and I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread, since these are questions rather than a report of experience with NR.

I'm 61 years old. I take a variety of supplements (A, D3, mixed B, resveratrol, curcumin). I also eat a lot of dairy and natto (usually 3-4 times a week). I don't tend to take supplements every day; sometimes I dry out for a week or so. I think the body responds better to variability in most things, including food and exercise.

I sometimes take Niacin for a period of time, and just finished several days of Niacin at 300 mg/day. I seldom get above 500 mg.

I just took my first dose of NR this morning (Live Cell Research, 250 mg, empty stomach). Feel pretty good so far. My questions:

---->  Is there any advantage in taking both NR and Niacin? If so, should they be taken at different times of the day?

----> Are there other supplements I should be taking to support the NR? Offhand, I've seen glutamine, methyl donors, and pterostilbene mentioned.

From having read the main threads, I realize that there may be little consensus on these issues. But I'd still welcome any advice!

#590 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

----> Are there other supplements I should be taking to support the NR? Offhand, I've seen glutamine, methyl donors, and pterostilbene mentioned.

My experience was that NR + methyl donor (SAMe) resulted in increasing levels of caffeine-like jitters over several days, to the point I couldn't sleep. Dropping the SAMe solved it.

From the links I've found here, there may be synergy between NR and resveratrol/pterostilbene. In fact, one company is offering just such a combination. No idea which is better though. We need studies.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn of synergy between NR and glycine, but there's no evidence yet to support it. Again, we need studies.

Edited by Supierce, 03 June 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#591 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

Interesting article:

Off-topic for 2 reasons - 1) it is about nicotinamide and 2) at the very least should have been posted here: http://www.longecity...ws-and-updates/ if any parallels with NR were intended.

It was and this sideline topic is still generating additional data as the American Society of Clinical Oncology 2015 meeting just wrapped up. http://www.longecity...e-7#entry730837

From a Nicotinamide Riboside standpoint the 2 compounds share some parallels from an experience perspective and (Nam) shouldn't be discounted. I'm a Subtype 2 Rosacea sufferer and until NR appeared on the market there wasn't much beyond antibiotics and the little publicized Niacinamide AKA Nicotinamide (Nam) to combat this skin condition. Once I discovered Nicotinamide Riboside for reducing my joint inflammation I noticed an abrupt change in my skin condition quite by accident. Since then I've mentioned this observation here on Longecity and on a few additional forums and other people have begun to investigate (NR) for themselves and I'm pleased to announce at this early stage others have seen some positive results. I mention this because in areas where Niacinamide AKA Nicotinamide (Nam) has seen results we may well expect Nicotinamide Riboside to be a more potent and effective compound than the former.

Just my thoughts.

• like x 4

#592 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

After a week on Niagen, I have more energy. I have lost a few pounds (without any intentional change in diet of calorie intake), and it feels as if my muscles are bulking up from comparatively little exercise.

Unlike some users, I haven't noticed anything dramatic; but I'm quite pleased.

I still wonder if I might not be better off adding in some Niacin at some other time of day; or alternating Niacin and NR...

#593 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:37 PM

How would you guys describe Ribose when compared to Niacin? How would the effects differ?

Niacin for me personally sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Can help allow me to become more pro-social. Sometimes rapidly. Sometimes even induces a mild and beneficial hyper state where I feel much more expressive. Uncomfortable flush usually lasts 1-2 hours but certain forms such as Jameson brand (canadian) have residual flush hours later. If I don't get a mood benefit from Niacin then I often feel very dull and worn out in the hours ahead. Seems to get rid of anxiety to an extent.

In terms of blood sugar control would Ribose be helpful for someone who suffers from hypoglycemia? I want to know if I eat food with Ribose will I continue to become very tired or will I be able to have energy?

And... Would Nicotinamide Riboside be beneficial to someone with candida or other fungal infections? Niacin as well.

Edited by AlexCanada, 09 June 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#594 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:10 PM

How would you guys describe Ribose when compared to Niacin? How would the effects differ?

I assume you are asking for a comparison of niacin with nicotinamide riboside, not with ribose--right?

There IS a molecule of ribose attached to NR, but it only accounts for about half of the NR molecule by weight. 

Ribose is taken by some heart patients and bodybuilders for endurance, but at dosages (1-10 grams) way above what most people could afford to get from NR.

Ton answer the question I think you were asking, I really haven't felt significant differences between NA (niacin) and NR...except for the flush. Both leave me feeling somewhat energized.

#595 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

Moved to Introducing Niagen from Live Cell Research

Friendly reminder, this thread is to discuss , debate and share your personal experience with Niagen.  Vendor and other topics should be posted in appropriate threads or started anew.  Thanks.

Edited by APBT, 22 July 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#596 StanG

• 71 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:22 AM

I have also been receiving this info and have been dismayed by the way they are announcing it. If it's half as good as they say it is, they shouldn't have to do this. A wait and see attitude is what I think I will take. I take 250mg  of Naigen but I only take my 40 some supplements four times per week skipping one day and then two days later skipping two days. The body is always trying to get back to what it feels is a stasis and I feel we need this technique both to maximize benefits and to clear our systems. If there is another place I should be saying this please let me know and I would also like to hear other opinions on how and when to take supplements.

I am 72 years old and black hair has been growing on my arms and legs for the first time in 30 years. I believe the Naigen may be stimulating my body to do this (along with other supplements). My memory has also improved in some ways.

• Informative x 1

#597 Ms02138

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Friendly reminder, this thread is to discuss , debate and share your personal experience with Niagen.  Vendor and other topics should be posted in appropriate threads or started anew.  Thanks.

Edited by APBT, 22 July 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#598 Ethan Furman

• 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

Edited by APBT, 22 July 2015 - 10:28 PM.

• Informative x 1

#599 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Edited by APBT, 22 July 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#600 Ethan Furman

• 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Edited by APBT, 22 July 2015 - 10:34 PM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By