* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#241 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

But what are users experiencing as they continue to take Niagen? Personally, I feel like I'm 50 again. (But recent overexercion suggest I'm not there yet after 8 months. Chronologically I'm 66.)
  • Informative x 1

#242 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

I've been taking 500 mg for months. No notable effects.

#243 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

500mg/day gave me insomnia, even if I took it in the morning. Other than that, not much to report. I'm going to give it another go sometime soon, because I was using citrulline malate at the time, which may have had a role. I've since stopped using the citrulline malate.
  • Informative x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#244 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

So I have been taking Niagen for almost a month now. Chromadex made a deal with the network marketing company 5linx, which I am a representative for and we started selling it in May. We also are selling Chromadex's Purenergy which is a co-crystal of caffeine and pterostilbene(cousin to resveratrol) and I take that as well. The Niagen product is called Hi5 Edge and it comes in the form of a berry flavored fast dissolve tablet. It has 125 mg per tablet that is taken twice a day. I have stuck with this recommended dosage having a few days where I only took one tablet, because I sampled out some. I usually take it about an hour after eating.

I am a 29 year old, African-American female. I have no experience taking any supplements prior to Niagen and Purenergy, so this is all new to me.
Before taking NR, I was always tired and had a hard time focusing. I noticed immediately that I had more energy and was sharper than I was before. I sometimes feel really good and happy... Almost like a high.

I am a Zumba instructor and I run. I had just got back into running a couple of weeks before taking the Niagen and immediately noticed an improvement in my endurance level when I ran. I also seemed to be toning up without doing much weight bearing exercises.

I find it harder to go to sleep most days but between those I have a tired day as though my body is trying to recover from all the extra energy I have. Once I go to sleep, I stay asleep much better than I did before. I wake up much easier... I feel energetic instead of sluggish in the mornings.

I have lost some weight or at least inches... I weighed myself when I started but I haven't weighed in since. I have noticed my clothes are looser than before. I have not made any major changes to my diet. Most of the fat I am losing is coming from my hips, butt and thighs which is the main area my body stores fat.

One of most unexpected things that I am experiencing is improvement in my skin. I have always had good skin... Most people think I look younger than I actually am but I still noticed a difference. My skin has become softer, smoother and more even toned. I know someone else on here already mentioned it happening to them... I also have age spots on the back of my hands that seem to be fading. The cellulite on the back of my thighs is becoming smoother as time goes by. I am also having such an increase in oil production from my sebaceous glands that I stopped putting moisturizer on my face.

Overall, I am having amazing results and will continue to take it. I am not sure if a higher dose is necessary since my body is already responding well to the lower dosage. Oh, I also notice improvement in my senses. I just wanted to add that I didn't notice or have all these changes immediately... Other than the increased energy, I didn't notice these other changes until the second or third week taking NR.
  • like x 5
  • dislike x 4

#245 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've been taking 2gr/day for several weeks.  There have been no discernible affects.

Edited by Rocket, 09 September 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#246 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

So I have been taking Niagen for almost a month now. Chromadex made a deal with the network marketing company 5linx, which I am a representative for and we started selling it in May. We also are selling Chromadex's Purenergy which is a co-crystal of caffeine and pterostilbene(cousin to resveratrol) and I take that as well. The Niagen product is called Hi5 Edge and it comes in the form of a berry flavored fast dissolve tablet. It has 125 mg per tablet that is taken twice a day. I have stuck with this recommended dosage having a few days where I only took one tablet, because I sampled out some. I usually take it about an hour after eating. [...]

Overall, I am having amazing results and will continue to take it. [...]

100% pure BS.

Edited by Michael, 30 July 2017 - 08:23 PM.
trim quote

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#247 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

100% pure BS.[/quote]

I am sorry that you aren't experiencing any changes... everyone reacts differently to things but I promise you that what I posted is not BS. Will these changes last? I don't know... I haven't been taking it that long. I know of quite a few people taking the same version of Niagen as I am and they are having amazing results as well. Since I am also taking Purenergy that could be helping with my focus and energy levels as well.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#248 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

After gradually increasing in the dosage to 1.5 grams a day, I noticed that my calf muscles became increasingly more painful as the days progressed. The pain was not unlike continuous leg cramps in my calves and increasingly I had ever greater difficulty in walking. Eventually I discontinued the N/R and it took several weeks for the pain to subside, but it didn't completely resolve until I tried 10 mg of MitoQ per day. Clearly l had become depleted in something, but what I don't know.
The MitoQ took about 4 days to work
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#249 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

Perhaps lack of potassium, calcium or magnesium?

#250 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

After gradually increasing in the dosage to 1.5 grams a day, I noticed that my calf muscles became increasingly more painful as the days progressed. The pain was not unlike continuous leg cramps in my calves and increasingly I had ever greater difficulty in walking. Eventually I discontinued the N/R and it took several weeks for the pain to subside, but it didn't completely resolve until I tried 10 mg of MitoQ per day. Clearly l had become depleted in something, but what I don't know.
The MitoQ took about 4 days to work

This thread may have some clues as to co-factors that may depleted:
http://www.longecity...-strikes-again/
Its a long read but worth it.

#251 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

I find it harder to go to sleep most days but between those I have a tired day as though my body is trying to recover from all the extra energy I have. Once I go to sleep, I stay asleep much better than I did before. I wake up much easier... I feel energetic instead of sluggish in the mornings.

I've certainly noticed the harder to go to sleep part.  At half a gram a day, I needed a few mg of Ambien to get to sleep.  250mg taken in the morning was right on the edge.  I got to sleep ok, if a bit weirdly, but my sleep was kind of unsettled.  I'm not happy about the insomnia side effect, and hope I can find a way around it, because I have a hell of a lot of NR, having bought six bottles as part of PWAIN's group buy deal.  (oops- should have tried a bottle at the egregious retail price first...)   I've not been able to take it long enough to say anything about long term effects.

A possible complication is that I take a gram of niacin a day as therapy for high lp(a).  Could that be part of the problem?

#252 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:02 AM

A possible complication is that I take a gram of niacin a day as therapy for high lp(a).  Could that be part of the problem?

Not sure.  But as a counterpoint, I have been taking .5 g in the morning and .5 g after lunch and have had no problems sleeping.  I feel I have been sleeping better than normal...meaning that I find I could stay in bed longer if I wanted.  Normally, I struggle to meet 7 hours at times and sometimes just get up earlier than I should.  Also as an update, I took MitoQ for about a week before deciding that I would hold off for awhile after getting a slight sore throat and congestion (summer cold).  Probably just a coincidence but no sense in confounding things.

Edited by mikela, 11 September 2014 - 03:03 AM.

• like x 1

#253 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Is anyone seeing the same effects from Niacin?

#254 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

Are there any sources or information on how much NAD levels fall with age? Some kind of graph of NAD versus age?

Edited by Rocket, 11 September 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#255 D Mason

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:42 AM

I've been deciding if I should up my dose or not.  Here's what I've learned reading reviews on different sources.

A portion of users continue to say they feel absolutely nothing.   This is strange, as I would expect a range.  But it seems either they feel something substantial or nothing at all. 

Most people say it gives them more energy, some mentioned less crash after lunch.   

Older folks are, mostly men, say it is helping them exercise, some more adventurous ones are claiming they are exercising harder then they have in decades.  

A couple strange but exciting comments...

2 cases of people where their eyesight improved.   One near sighted lady said she no longer needed her reading glasses.  I know sometimes people makes stuff up, but this one sounded honest. 

4 cases of people with aching joints that went away.  Again, people make stuff up, but to me these read sincere. 

I'll continue to research, but sofar I'm convinced to up my does to 500mg per day. 

Good night

D

Edited by D Mason, 13 September 2014 - 02:45 AM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#256 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

Do we know that people all produce comparable amounts of Nrk-1 and 2? Wouldn't this be NR's limiting factor?

#257 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

I've been deciding if I should up my dose or not.  Here's what I've learned reading reviews on different sources.

A portion of users continue to say they feel absolutely nothing.   This is strange, as I would expect a range.  But it seems either they feel something substantial or nothing at all. 

Most people say it gives them more energy, some mentioned less crash after lunch.   

Older folks are, mostly men, say it is helping them exercise, some more adventurous ones are claiming they are exercising harder then they have in decades.  

2 cases of people where their eyesight improved.   One near sighted lady said she no longer needed her reading glasses.  I know sometimes people makes stuff up, but this one sounded honest. 

4 cases of people with aching joints that went away.  Again, people make stuff up, but to me these read sincere. 

I'll continue to research, but sofar I'm convinced to up my does to 500mg per day. 

Good night

D

It is interesting all the different reactions people are getting. I am actually surprised by those that experience nothing... maybe they are too young or have don't have any issues to observe improvement on? I am only 29, by no means old, and I still am seeing a wide variety of reactions from my body ranging from more energy to healthier skin. I find it interesting that you mentioned improved vision... I noticed some of my senses were essentially more sensitive... like sweet and salty foods taste sweeter and saltier than they did before; I am also more sensitive to odors. I didn't notice much about my vision at first but just a couple days ago, I felt like I saw distance slightly better than I did before. I still wear my glasses and contacts and they don't seem too strong so I am going to have to give that time and see if I really have improved vision in the long run. Even if I don't see any drastic improvement, maybe it will help prevent my vision from getting any worse?

Just to add, yesterday I was doing a Zumba session where I learn choreo for my classes and I felt very little fatigue and loss of energy the whole 3 hours I was there. In the past, I would have felt tired and had muscle fatigue. Actually, my friends that were with me were complaining about feeling sore in their thighs from being in the squat position a lot and I had no soreness.

I like to know if you see any improvement on increased dosage. I am still on 250 mg/day, 125 mg in the morning and at night. I know everyone is taking Niagen from different sources and I am curious if that matters at all or not? It probably shouldn't. I don't take a pill, mine is in the form of a dissolve tablet and I wonder if that changes the absorption in any way?

• Good Point x 1

#258 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Good night
D

It is interesting all the different reactions people are getting. I am actually surprised by those that experience nothing... maybe they are too young or have don't have any issues to observe improvement on? I am only 29, by no means old, and I still am seeing a wide variety of reactions from my body ranging from more energy to healthier skin. I find it interesting that you mentioned improved vision... I noticed some of my senses were essentially more sensitive... like sweet and salty foods taste sweeter and saltier than they did before; I am also more sensitive to odors. I didn't notice much about my vision at first but just a couple days ago, I felt like I saw distance slightly better than I did before. I still wear my glasses and contacts and they don't seem too strong so I am going to have to give that time and see if I really have improved vision in the long run. Even if I don't see any drastic improvement, maybe it will help prevent my vision from getting any worse?

Just to add, yesterday I was doing a Zumba session where I learn choreo for my classes and I felt very little fatigue and loss of energy the whole 3 hours I was there. In the past, I would have felt tired and had muscle fatigue. Actually, my friends that were with me were complaining about feeling sore in their thighs from being in the squat position a lot and I had no soreness.

I like to know if you see any improvement on increased dosage. I am still on 250 mg/day, 125 mg in the morning and at night. I know everyone is taking Niagen from different sources and I am curious if that matters at all or not? It probably shouldn't. I don't take a pill, mine is in the form of a dissolve tablet and I wonder if that changes the absorption in any way?

Ok, since September 01, I have been taking:

1 gram (1000mg) of HPN's N® Niagen (4 capsules AM, 4 capsules PM)
10 mg MitoQ (2 capsules AM, 2 capsules PM)

I also have started taking:

Zao NeuroReset Enteric Tablets:  70mg Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide trihydrate and 10mg Niacinamide,/Niacin/Niacinamide, one tablet per day

and for sublingual, I have been taking:

Seeking Health NADH + CoQ10 lozenges:  25mg reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide complex and 50mg CoQ10, one lozenge per day
Source Naturals Co-E1 NADH: 20mg reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide-Coenzyme Vitamin B-3, 2 tablets per day.

I also do take quite a few other, different supplements, but I will just mention one: I take LivOn's Lypo-spheric B+Complex (used to be called Age Blocker), which has a lot of ingredients, including Niacinamide 20mg. I take that once a day.

I am 60 years old, at just 6 feet I weigh slightly under 150lbs, and I do intermittent fasting regularly. My crash NAD+ regime is quite new, it's hard to say what the results will be, but I can say that my mood had risen considerably, my thinking has been quicker, clearer. Unfortunately at the moment,  I'm too busy to do any exercise at all (bad!) so I have no comparison or baseline, but I feel stronger and more at ease. Time will tell!

In the meanwhile, I am very interested to hear about the Niagen version in effervescent (dissolve away) tablets--can you tell me the brand name of the tablet?

One other question: I have been taking PharmaNAC's effervescent N-acetylcysteine 900mg daily for years, as well as TMG 750mg. Any reason for these to be contraindicators with my new NAD+ regime?

Thanks very much!

Edit: fixed attributions -mod

Edited by niner, 14 September 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#259 D Mason

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

In the meanwhile, I am very interested to hear about the Niagen version in effervescent (dissolve away) tablets--can you tell me the brand name of the tablet?

The tablet is made by 5linx.  With a positive perspective they are a multi level marketing company, with a negative perspective they are a pyramid scheme. You decide.   I was not able to find their product for sale. 

Talking about moods reminded me of this PDF I read on increasing NAD levels and the "predator response" 

http://www.encogniti...or Response.pdf

Edited by Michael, 30 July 2017 - 08:26 PM.
trim quote

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#260 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

The [effervescent (dissolve away) tablets NR] tablet is made by 5linx.  With a positive perspective they are a multi level marketing company, with a negative perspective they are a pyramid scheme. You decide.   I was not able to find their product for sale. 

Talking about moods reminded me of this PDF I read on increasing NAD levels and the "predator response" 
http://www.encogniti...or Response.pdf

Yes, you are right the tablet form is sold by the network marketing company 5linx... Chromadex gave them exclusive rights to the dissolve tablet form and they are the only ones that are selling it within the network marketing industry. It isn't an effervescent tablet; you actually just put it in your mouth and it dissolves on your tongue; it's a berry flavored tablet. I am a representative for the company so I sell it and that is why I started taking that version. Our version goes by the name Hi5 Edge. I didn't know about Niagen until it was announced to the representatives that we were going to start selling it this past May. Chromadex also gave us rights to sell their Purenergy supplement which has a compound called pterostilbene which is similar to resveratrol. Honestly, the one you are purchasing is a little cheaper so unless you really want to try the dissolve tablet form or to start selling it yourself, I would just stick with the other version.

Edited by Michael, 30 July 2017 - 08:28 PM.
trim quote

• Needs references x 1

#261 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

As I posted a couple months ago.  In June, David Sinclair told me you need to take at least 500mg of NR for it to do

anything.  From the way he spoke, it sounds like 1/2gram to 1gram per day is the ticket.  My wife and I

have been taking NR since I interviewed David and Dr Lenny Guarente (MIT) in January.  They both just seem quite

confident that - taken together with polyphenols like resveratrol (there are others) - it will 'very likely' improve a person's

health.  I have posted a couple of video excerpts from those interviews on longecity and on youtube, under Robert Kane Pappas (or Dylan Pappas).

VInce Giuliano, who takes both of these compounds and others, said it best.  "It's hard to know what is doing what"

but he said, his baseline markers have all improved substantially over the past 7+ years, and Vince will be 85 this fall.

Anecdotally, my wife had blood work done at her company's health fair and her good cholesterol was 'off the chart' 

Over time, I have perceived an increased vividness of dreams, and I remember them.  Also an increase in the sense of smell (even though I already had a good one), and an increase in conscious perceptions.  There seems to be a 

neurological effect, for good or ill.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 1

#262 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

As I posted a couple months ago. In June, David Sinclair told me you need to take at least 500mg of NR for it to do
anything. From the way he spoke, it sounds like 1/2gram to 1gram per day is the ticket. My wife and I
have been taking NR since I interviewed David and Dr Lenny Guarente (MIT) in January. They both just seem quite
confident that - taken together with polyphenols like resveratrol (there are others) - it will 'very likely' improve a person's
health. I have posted a couple of video excerpts from those interviews on longecity and on youtube, under Robert Kane Pappas (or Dylan Pappas).
VInce Giuliano, who takes both of these compounds and others, said it best. "It's hard to know what is doing what"
but he said, his baseline markers have all improved substantially over the past 7+ years, and Vince will be 85 this fall.
Anecdotally, my wife had blood work done at her company's health fair and her good cholesterol was 'off the chart'
Over time, I have perceived an increased vividness of dreams, and I remember them. Also an increase in the sense of smell (even though I already had a good one), and an increase in conscious perceptions. There seems to be a

Thanks Dylan.
I ( we ) look forward to any other interview excerpts, hopefully longer ones that you care to publish. Alert us here when and if you decide to do that.
Anecdotally I have found thru personal experimentation that 750 mg of Niagen, plus some ( 100 mg ) of NA seem to " feel " the best....whatever that's worth
  • like x 1

#263 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

an increase in the sense of smell

I thought it is my imagination but ever since resuming my intake of Niagen  3 days ago at 250mg first thing in the morning I also noticed a sharpened sense of smell, usually most pronounced in the early afternoon. I guess it takes some time to trigger this neurological effect.

#264 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

For those who haven’t seen the videos referenced in post #261yet:

NAD and age reversal pt 3

NAD and age reversal pt 4

• like x 1

#265 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

As I posted a couple months ago.  In June, David Sinclair told me you need to take at least 500mg of NR for it to do

anything.  From the way he spoke, it sounds like 1/2gram to 1gram per day is the ticket.  My wife and I

have been taking NR since I interviewed David and Dr Lenny Guarente (MIT) in January.  They both just seem quite

health.  I have posted a couple of video excerpts from those interviews on longecity and on youtube, under Robert Kane Pappas (or Dylan Pappas).

VInce Giuliano, who takes both of these compounds and others, said it best.  "It's hard to know what is doing what"

Over time, I have perceived an increased vividness of dreams, and I remember them.  Also an increase in the sense of smell (even though I already had a good one), and an increase in conscious perceptions.  There seems to be a 

I know you said that you needed 500 mg of NR to see results but I have to disagree with that. I have been supplementing NR for about 5 weeks now and I am seeing a wide variety of effect from taking only 250 mg of NR a day. I am curious if the higher amount of NR you take is related to age? I am relatively young, 29 years old, so maybe I didn't need as much to see results? Someone 50 years old may need that minimum 500 mg per day. Since NAD levels decline with age it would make logical sense to me that dosage may be health and age related?

You also mentioned taking NR with polyphenols can possibly help with the improvement on health. I am taking my NR with pterostilbene which is one of the other polyphenols that is similar to resveratrol. One thing I read was that pterostilbene may be more effective than resveratrol because it is double methylated making it last longer in the body to be used by cells. This could also be contributing to the changes I am seeing in my body.

#266 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for re-posting these videos. Very interesting information.

#267 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Have to say I've watched them before. Leonard Guarente is worth re-watching time and time again. We all seem to be learning to regurgitate his ideas to the masses.

#268 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

I guess we'll have to wait for Chromadex to publish the results of their human trials before we really know what dose is needed to improve mitochondrial - nuclear signaling.  (if we even know then...)  Some of the other effects, like more vivid dreams, for example, are coming in at a fairly low dose.  I'm now taking 125mg in the morning, and getting the dream effect.  I think I'm getting used to 125, and hope to increase my dose to 250 mg next.  My initial attempts to take 500mg resulted in insomnia, and 250 was on the edge.    I don't know if getting vivid dreams (or insomnia) means anything with respect to beneficial effects.  Time will tell.

• like x 1

#269 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

I guess we'll have to wait for Chromadex to publish the results of their human trials before we really know what dose is needed to improve mitochondrial - nuclear signaling.  (if we even know then...)  Some of the other effects, like more vivid dreams, for example, are coming in at a fairly low dose.  I'm now taking 125mg in the morning, and getting the dream effect.  I think I'm getting used to 125, and hope to increase my dose to 250 mg next.  My initial attempts to take 500mg resulted in insomnia, and 250 was on the edge.    I don't know if getting vivid dreams (or insomnia) means anything with respect to beneficial effects.  Time will tell.

I'm up to 1000 mg per day now. I do feel energized after taking a dose but I've only had a problem getting to sleep on a couple of occasions. I figure if sleep-time is my bodies repair time I should give it a NAD boost so I take my last dose before bed. I think it all depends on the individual, I can sleep almost anywhere and anytime if I put my head down.

I cant wait for Chromadex to publish the PK data either, I can afford my current daily dose

but would like to reduce that if its in excess of what my body needs.

I have an interesting observation and wondered if I might have some company. After about 3 months of taking (NR) I started noticing what I thought was the smell of chicken on my skin. It wasn't strong, very subtle in fact, not an unpleasant smell at all. I thought maybe I was detoxifying, reached a (NA) saturation point, releasing fat or something. Then a week or 2 later I noticed the scent permeating my urine. I've taken B-vitamins in the past and they sometimes they create a sweet smell but this one is different and unique and didn't start at the beginning of my (NA) regiment. At any rate It has remained, maybe a bit more diminished and I wondered if anyone else has had this experience.

Edited by Bryan_S, 19 September 2014 - 05:54 AM.

• like x 1

#270 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

I have an interesting observation and wondered if I might have some company. After about 3 months of taking (NR) I started noticing what I thought was the smell of chicken on my skin. It wasn't strong, very subtle in fact, not an unpleasant smell at all. I thought maybe I was detoxifying, reached a (NA) saturation point, releasing fat or something. Then a week or 2 later I noticed the scent permeating my urine. I've taken B-vitamins in the past and they sometimes they create a sweet smell but this one is different and unique and didn't start at the beginning of my (NA) regiment. At any rate It has remained, maybe a bit more diminished and I wondered if anyone else has had this experience.

Maybe it's the ribose?

J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Aug 10;53(16):6455-62.

Precursors of chicken flavor. II. Identification of key flavor precursors using sensory methods.

Aliani M, Farmer LJ.

Abstract

Sensory evaluation was used to identify flavor precursors that are critical for flavor development in cooked chicken. Among the potential flavor precursors studied (thiamin, inosine 5'-monophosphate, ribose, ribose-5-phosphate, glucose, and glucose-6-phosphate), ribose appears most important for chicken aroma. An elevated concentration (added or natural) of only 2-4-fold the natural concentration gives an increase in the selected aroma and flavor attributes of cooked chicken meat. Assessment of the volatile odor compounds by gas chromatography-odor assessment and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry showed that ribose increased odors described as "roasted" and "chicken" and that the changes in odor due to additional ribose are probably caused by elevated concentrations of compounds such as 2-furanmethanethiol, 2-methyl-3-furanthiol, and 3-methylthiopropanal.

PMID:    16076134

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By