Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#301 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

That makes sense, thanks. :)

Strange how these different companies seem to have a different idea of dosage though.

51DXWjy3w-L.jpg

Product Description

Best Energy Featuring Niagen by Doctors Best 60 VegCap Best Energy Featuring Niagen 60 VegCap Best Niagen contains premium quality Niagen which supplies nicotinamide riboside (RN) a nutrient broadly involved in human energy production and metabolic regulation. NR occurs naturally in foods and is a meta- bolic starter for NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) which our cells absolutely require for their mitochondria to make energy. NR also helps regulate cell energy utilization to support structural integrity in the brain muscles liver and other organs. Science-based nutrition Dietary supplement Enhances mitochondrial energy production Facilitates glucose and fat utilization for energy Promotes energy-dependent regulation of cell functions Suggested Use As a dietary supplement Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals or more as recommended by a nutritionally-informed physician. - Or as directed by your healthcare professional. Supplement Facts Serving Size 2 Capsule Servings Per Contai[ner]

Hmmmm. "Serving Size 2 capsules" = 75mg, or 37.5mg per capsule. 

Pretty low dosage compared to HPN's 125mg per capsule or Live Cell Research's 250mg per capsule.

"Plus shipping."

Kind of expensive for what it is.

#302 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

Pretty low dosage compared to HPN's 125mg per capsule or Live Cell Research's 250mg per capsule.

The page on Amazon was misleading.  It's actually 75mg/cap.  The serving size is 2 caps = 150mg.  Still a lousy deal compared to our group purchase from HPN.

Dr.'s Best:  $30/(0.075*60) =  $6.67/gram

HPN Longecity:  $33/(.125*60) = $4.40/gram

HPN Retail: $48/(.125*60) = $6.40/gram.

Hmm.  Maybe six something a gram is what Chromadex wants it to cost on the retail market.

#303 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Hmm.  Maybe six something a gram is what Chromadex wants it to cost on the retail market.

Yet they were more than happy to sell it for $17-18 prior to the Sinclair study results announcement for the same bottle that now costs $48.

They are making a killing ...

#304 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:59 AM

I've seen/heard a couple of people say the price of Niagen went up before the Sinclair study was released. Anyone have a firm date?

They do seem to be investing heavily in New research.

Edited by M-K, 24 September 2014 - 04:03 AM.

#305 D Mason

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

The page on Amazon was misleading.  It's actually 75mg/cap.  The serving size is 2 caps = 150mg.  Still a lousy deal compared to our group purchase from HPN.

Here's another one to add to the list

http://livecellresea...ree_ship4_2.php

They have a bulk deal, 6 bottles at $35.71 per bottle, with free shipping   $4.76/gram. 

If you only buy 1 bottle, it's still pretty expensive. 

But I do like LCR's glass bottle over HPN's plastic.   (Google BPA, plastics, increase estrogen)

• like x 1

#306 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

Here's another one to add to the list

http://livecellresea...ree_ship4_2.php

They have a bulk deal, 6 bottles at $35.71 per bottle, with free shipping   $4.76/gram

If you only buy 1 bottle, it's still pretty expensive. 

But I do like LCR's glass bottle over HPN's plastic.   (Google BPA, plastics, increase estrogen)

$4.76/gram? Why, it's only a penny more than a venti Starbucks--a veritable bargain!

#307 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

So I guess I am purchasing it at the most expensive price on the market... practically $8/gram!! Since I sell it I have to promote and use the version of Niagen that I have but on the bright side, the version I have taste like candy. If I ever can't afford it at least I am aware of all these other/cheaper options of purchasing Niagen.

#308 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Plastic recycle codes 2, 4, and 5 were safe the last time I checked, and vitamin bottles are usually code 2 (HDPE).

#309 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I went out on a TV production shoot yesterday following a late night studio shift from the day before. From the time my head hit the pillow until I woke up I received a whopping 4 hours of sleep. Believe me this isn't my usual routine. I took 500 mg before I headed into the office and another 500 mg mid day and at the end of a 13-hour day I was oddly surprised I wasn't a zombie or a babbling idiot. (well maybe an idiot but not the babbling kind) There are certain situations that make you say WOW I cant believe I pulled that one off . . . "placebo effect my @$$."

#310 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

I went out on a TV production shoot yesterday following a late night studio shift from the day before. From the time my head hit the pillow until I woke up I received a whopping 4 hours of sleep. Believe me this isn't my usual routine. I took 500 mg before I headed into the office and another 500 mg mid day and at the end of a 13-hour day I was oddly surprised I wasn't a zombie or a babbling idiot. (well maybe an idiot but not the babbling kind) There are certain situations that make you say WOW I cant believe I pulled that one off . . . "placebo effect my @$$."

I completely agree that this is no placebo effect!! I used to be tired all the time and had a hard time focusing on anything. It would take me a while to process what I was doing, even with simple task. I definitely notice an increase in reaction time and ability to focus since I have been taking NR. I don't know if its that same for you but even when I go to sleep at night, tiredness and sleepiness doesn't quite feel the way it used to... I still feel somewhat alert.

Just curious, is anyone experiencing changes in their vision that have been taking NR for a while? I feel like my vision has slightly improved but it isn't drastic enough to be certain.

#311 D Mason

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

Plastic recycle codes 2, 4, and 5 were safe the last time I checked, and vitamin bottles are usually code 2 (HDPE).

You may be right, I just don't feel the need to take any chances.  I read something about how the plastics company's loved the BPA scare because they were able to sell a ton of more expensive "BPA Free" plastics to all the people who suddenly felt a need to change out their old plastic.

Then it turns out the BPA free stuff is just as bad. 

My personal rule is, if the material is soft enought to scratch with your fingernail, then you're probably ingesting micro amounts that rub off in the food or pills.  And you may as well avoid it if you can.  

But this is better for another time, I'm getting off topic.  

#312 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

I've seen/heard a couple of people say the price of Niagen went up before the Sinclair study was released. Anyone have a firm date?

I'm the one that was purchasing prior to Sinclair's announcement for the $17-19 price from Swansons.

I was doing personal research on mitochondrial bio-genesis and was alerted to some study (I'll have to take time to find it all again) from an automated alert from one of the journals back in the early fall of last year that mentioned the possibilities of Niagen. 

Here's a copy of my order from September of last year from Swansons:

HPN.jpg

In October of last year, the price then went up to $34.99 the next time I went to order.

I don't recall what date the current ~$49 price became effective, but it seems to have been January/Feburary of this year.

#313 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

I completely agree that this is no placebo effect!! I used to be tired all the time and had a hard time focusing on anything. It would take me a while to process what I was doing, even with simple task. I definitely notice an increase in reaction time and ability to focus since I have been taking NR. I don't know if its that same for you but even when I go to sleep at night, tiredness and sleepiness doesn't quite feel the way it used to... I still feel somewhat alert.

Just curious, is anyone experiencing changes in their vision that have been taking NR for a while? I feel like my vision has slightly improved but it isn't drastic enough to be certain.

Didn't you also mention that you were selling the product through some MLM distributor?

#314 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm the one that was purchasing prior to Sinclair's announcement for the $17-19 price from Swansons.

I was doing personal research on mitochondrial bio-genesis and was alerted to some study (I'll have to take time to find it all again) from an automated alert from one of the journals back in the early fall of last year that mentioned the possibilities of Niagen.

HPN.jpg

In October of last year, the price then went up to $34.99 the next time I went to order.

I don't recall what date the current ~$49 price became effective, but it seems to have been January/Feburary of this year.

Ok, question to you. You were taking Niagen before the Sinclair announcement and the subsequent price jump. Have you experienced any of the positive anecdotal effects expressed by others here in this thread? Which reported positive effects are genuine and which reported positive effects may be clever marketing? What did your blood tests reveal about your Niagen intake?

#315 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Nothing noted, no differences, over a year using 1-2 gram per day depending -- other than maybe the insomnia component later identified here.

I use other mitochondrial enhancers (C60, PQQ, others) so my mitochondrial tank may already be full as it were.  I don't feel the hype though, but I believe in the science.

Edited by trance, 24 September 2014 - 06:05 PM.

• like x 3

#316 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

Didn't you also mention that you were selling the product through some MLM distributor?

Yes, I am selling through a MLM distributor, specifically 5linx. That's how I found out about Niagen to begin with... I am also just very interested in this supplement since I am majoring in dietetics. Something like this could have a huge impact in my field of study.

#317 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

A side note and slightly off topic.  Dr David SInclair and Dr Leonard Guarente are both testing compounds 

to increase NAD - coupled with polyphenols like resveratrol or analogues of such.  Both think these drugs may

possibly have efficacy for any number of diseases of aging.  Here is a link to my first excerpt on the issues

of lab to clinic.  http://youtu.be/n2Th_yVT7yQ

• like x 5

#318 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

to age or not to age, please check your PM – thanks. 

#319 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:13 AM

What is PM and how do I access it, sorry for being primitive vis a vis the website

#320 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:55 AM

A PM is a personal message.  At the top of the page, there's a little icon that looks like an envelope.  When you have unread messages, there should be a little red thingy with the number of unread messages.  Just click it and you get into an email-like interface.

#321 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:09 AM

Nothing noted, no differences, over a year using 1-2 gram per day depending -- other than maybe the insomnia component later identified here.

I use other mitochondrial enhancers (C60, PQQ, others) so my mitochondrial tank may already be full as it were.  I don't feel the hype though, but I believe in the science.

I 2nd this.  I'm 57 but in excellent health with no health issues.  Been using 500 mg to 1 gram of NR daily for 6 months with no positive effects noted.  The only effect noted is a tendency for loose stools when at 1 gram or more which has limited dosing to <1 gram.  And virtually nothing has given me issues with loose stools before so I was surprised...but unhappy with this.  Currently, I've been dosing 375 mg bid (for total 750 mg daily) for the past 3 months.  I spent over a $1000 on the first group buy so continue to dose on blind faith.  I don't even notice the insomnia reported...if anything, I've felt more tired and need for sleep has increased....but this could be work related.  I believe the few hyped positive reports are either placebo or clever marketing.  Perhaps people with some health issues may benefit...I don't know.  I can add that I have taken a gram or more daily of Resveratrol for the past 8 years, 3 mg C60/EVOO daily for more than 2 years, and 10 mg mitoQ for the past 6 weeks (now mitoQ, unlike NR, I could feel some increased mental energy and stamina) along with a variety of other common supplements I've used over the past 15 years, along with proper diet and exercise.  C60/EVOO (besides creatine and resveratrol) has been the only supplements to obviously increase exercise tolerance....6 months of NR has had absolutely no impact on exercise...or anything else positive.  But like everybody else....I'm living on hope and faith.

Edit: The human physiology is VERY adept at maintaining homeostasis so no matter the science of NR, if NAD+ is already in sufficient quantities and not impeding the KREBS cycle, no amount of NR is going to improve upon healthy levels in healthy individuals.  I believe C60/EVOO improves the ETC and NR is not going to add anything additional beyond that to healthy active individuals. 

Edited by Hebbeh, 25 September 2014 - 01:27 AM.

• like x 2

#322 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

The only effect noted is a tendency for loose stools when at 1 gram or more which has limited dosing to <1 gram.  And virtually nothing has given me issues with loose stools before so I was surprised...but unhappy with this.

For the past couple of days, I've mixed HPN Niagen with water (and potato starch). That seems to do the trick!

Adding potato starch, because it tastes alkaline. My rudimentary hypothesis: the stool problems are due to the excipients, which cause irritation of the mucosal membrane of the bowel.

HPN Niagen is way less caustic than Thorne Research's NiaCel! But still unusable sublingually. As far as I can tell, others haven't had any issues with sublingual administration. Oddly.

Anyway.

It probably works just as well without potato starch, but thought I'd mention it, since it may make a difference -- regardless of how improbable.

Live Cell Research's Niagan doesn't include excipients. So, I've ordered some, to test my theory.

#323 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:39 AM

Did you notice anything when you first started taking the other NAD boosters? How old are you? (You look relatively young.)

Scepticism is always warranted in scientific matters, but the anecdotal reports are so numerous as to demand guarded attention. For me, the question of why some people respond readily and others don't is very significant. Nrk is required to convert NR to NAD (or to NMN and then NAD). Apparently we don't know what precursors are needed for Nrk--we don't know much at all about NAD biochemistry in general. Some people may have larger supplies. I have to wonder what happens when we consume more NR than there is Nrk available to convert.

The real solution for this aspect of aging is to restore NAMPT to youthful levels, so that NAD is produced as it was in our youth. I wonder if by any chance increased NAD will do that.

SMichelle, I've seen a couple of people report possible vision improvements. A friend says his night vision returned after starting NR, and mine seems better too, but I can't be certain.
, ,

#324 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

A PM is a personal message.  At the top of the page, there's a little icon that looks like an envelope.  When you have unread messages, there should be a little red thingy with the number of unread messages.  Just click it and you get into an email-like interface.

Thanks, niner - you beat me to it. 

Edited by APBT, 25 September 2014 - 03:18 AM.

#325 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

I've felt more tired and need for sleep has increased....

I also can report the need for more sleep. I also take 15mg C60oo weekly but I have taken the same dosage for a few months now so IMO it is unlikely that is what is causing it.

The disturbed sleep issue I reported earlier dissipated (but not the need for more sleep) after my stopping NR dosing at 250mg but could very well be unrelated. I will resume intake to determine if that is indeed the reason.

PQQ is definitely boosting me at 20mg in the morning but I don't think it lasts that long to affect sleep based on the fact that the cognitive boosting effect usually peters out within 30-40 min.

I bought 10 NR bottles in the first group buy so I will have enough material to test different scenarios.

So far, at 125mg I can't definitively feel anything. I am 33.

That being said, I also believe in the science behind it so it may help us in a not-so-apparent way.

#326 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

HPN.jpg

We bought our first bottle in late December, 2013, after seeing the Sinclair/Harvard study press release and reading the David Sinclair Strikes Again thread here. Price was about $49.

#327 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

The only effect noted is a tendency for loose stools when at 1 gram or more which has limited dosing to <1 gram.  And virtually nothing has given me issues with loose stools before so I was surprised...but unhappy with this.

For the past couple of days, I've mixed HPN Niagen with water (and potato starch). That seems to do the trick!

Adding potato starch, because it tastes alkaline. My rudimentary hypothesis: the stool problems are due to the excipients, which cause irritation of the mucosal membrane of the bowel.

HPN Niagen is way less caustic than Thorne Research's NiaCel! But still unusable sublingually. As far as I can tell, others haven't had any issues with sublingual administration. Oddly.

Anyway.

It probably works just as well without potato starch, but thought I'd mention it, since it may make a difference -- regardless of how improbable.

Live Cell Research's Niagan doesn't include excipients. So, I've ordered some, to test my theory.

Interesting conversation on fillers and soft stool. So from what I'm hearing different distributers are using different fillers or amounts, is this correct? From what I'm hearing in todays conversation this filler is an irritant to the mucus membranes. If this is the case are some distributers adding fillers after ChromaDex ships them their product for packaging? Where is the value add? Or is ChromaDex adding a filler before shipping to their distributers? What is the real Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) content to filler ratio from each of the distributers? How much (NR) am I getting in a 125 mg capsule?

These are important questions to me, these seem to be things you guys are implying.

I use the HPN product, I take it sublingually but agree it isn't ideally formulated to use this way. I empty one capsule under the tongue at a time and let the (NR) dissolve out of the filler without moving my tongue around very much. I then add another capsule before the last one has totally dissipated and so on. I've learned to avoid creating a big dry spot. I found when I did, moving my tongue around irritated that spot in my mouth like sand paper. Still done right a small area feels sensitive for a short while afterwards but goes away.

So what I want to know from this conversation, "are the distributers cutting the product?" If so by how much?  Also what is this filler?   "How mush active ingredient are we receiving?"   I will say after my first month where if you've read my posts I had a hard time determining the affects until I stopped taking it, but what I haven't mentioned is when I restarted I resumed taking it sublingually because I'd read a post about it on Longecity, later someone posted this URL link. I felt I needed to increase (NR)'s activity and I have to say I feel more alert after taking it this way. In those early days I also experienced soft stool but it has since passed.

I remember someone saying the sent some Niagen off for testing. Here is that post

"I have gotten some lab results of an analysis of Niagen:  exclusive of fillers and excipients, it is abount 90% NR, and 10% niacinamide, plus a trace, around 0.05% methylnicotinate.

This was a surprise, but maybe shouldn't have been given the synthesis procedure."

This test was exclusive of fillers and excipients. What we don't know is how much filler was added and which distributer this material originally came from?

• like x 1

#328 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

> Interesting conversation on fillers and soft stool. So from what I'm hearing different distributers are using different fillers or amounts, is this correct?

Looking at the labels, yes.

> If this is the case are some distributers adding fillers after ChromaDex ships them their product for packaging? Where is the value add?

To aid in the production process. And shelf life, perhaps.

> Or is ChromaDex adding a filler before shipping to their distributers?

Not sure if ChromaDex ships to the suppliers, or if there's another arrangement.

> What is the real Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) content to filler ratio from each of the distributers? How much (NR) am I getting in a 125 mg capsule?

We're getting the amount of NR stated, I assume. There are additional ingredients. From the HPN bottle:

• Microcrystalline Cellulose
  • Magnesium Stearate
  • Silicon Dioxide
  • And cellulose, for the vegetarian capsule

Using 0.001g scales, the weight of a HPN cap -- including the cap -- is ~366mg.

> So what I want to know from this conversation, "are the distributers cutting the product?" If so by how much?  Also what is this filler?

No cutting. I've got no way of knowing for sure, but that risk is taken all the time. I trust the brand/companies. If I had suspicions, I would express it bluntly.

Looking at Wikipedia:

Microcrystalline cellulose is refined wood pulp.

Magnesium stearate is a lubricant and binding agent.

Silicon dioxide aids powder flow, in the manufacturing process.

Dr. Mercola has an article titled Magnesium Stearate: Does Your Supplement Contain This Potentially Hazardous Ingredient?

A snippet from the intro:

'Magnesium stearate is a commonly used and potentially harmful additive found in many supplements. This is a substance I have warned about for a long time because of its subtle ability to cause possible harm to your intestine, possibly even preventing the proper absorption of nutrients.'

Some people don't put much stock in Mercola. Either way, the NR products I've used so far have been harsh when taken sublingually, and cause issues when taken orally. I'm willing to  find the least-caustic brand, and experiment with the way it's consumed.

> How mush active ingredient are we receiving?

The promised amount, presumably and hopefully(!).

#329 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Thanks,

So Razor444 you are not alarmed by the ingredients, thats comforting. So someone should at least put a capsule's worth of Nicotinamide Riboside on a scale and weigh it, we can at least subtract out the Wt of the capsule and see what we are left with. I can ask ChromaDex what the ratio is of the fillers and we can take it from there. I'm still perplexed as to what the irritant is?

Could it be the Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride? Surely not.

If we look at the Silicon dioxide this is a pharmaceutical application grade of Diatomaceous earth and that is abrasive but no more than toothpaste where it is also used. Silicon dioxide is not soluble in water.

The Magnesium stearate appears to be a fairly harmless ingrediant. Magnesium stearate is not soluble in water.

Microcrystalline cellulose appears to be a fairly harmless ingrediant as well. Microcrystalline cellulose is not soluble in water.

So if we were to dissolve the Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride and flush it away and remove it we'd be left with Magnesium stearate, Microcrystalline cellulose and Silicon dioxide and have our total filler Wt once the water is removed?

Edited by Bryan_S, 25 September 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#330 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

So someone should at least put a capsule's worth of Nicotinamide Riboside on a scale and weigh it, we can at least subtract out the Wt of the capsule and see what we are left with. I can ask ChromaDex what the ratio is of the fillers and we can take it from there. I'm still perplexed as to what the irritant is?

The contents of one emptied capsule of HPN NR weighs 300 mg.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By