Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#361 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Regarding the pros and cons of vendors, I’ve started a thread in the “Retailer/Product Discussion” forum, which I feel is a more appropriate location.  Please continue the discussion in Nicotinamide Riboside (NR)/Niagen vendor vetting and discussion

I have not down-voted anyone's post. 

Edited by APBT, 28 September 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#362 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

FWIW, could we consolidate each human's post...rather than have them all over the map... it would make for a much more coherent thread... Follow up reports could be added via "edit" ... and I assume newly added info would still bump the post to the top for folks looking to update themselves...

I don't have much time at the moment but suffice it to say that I've been on NR a week now and have been ramping up to 1g/day which I should hit today.

64 years old and in better health then most of my peers...long term longevity gunny-pig...

Don't notice any of the "wow"ness a few have posted, aside from a little lightness of being/body, which well could stem from other additions to my regimine... Working at the cellular level I assume this is going to take awhile....have noticed I'm not using the railings going up stairs lately.  Subtle/encouraging as I already do lots towards this end and the only thing different is adding NR/SAMe/TMG to my long list of lovelys this week.

Will report more when I have time, as an edit to this post

• like x 1

#363 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

I find it harder to go to sleep most days but between those I have a tired day as though my body is trying to recover from all the extra energy I have. Once I go to sleep, I stay asleep much better than I did before. I wake up much easier... I feel energetic instead of sluggish in the mornings.

I've certainly noticed the harder to go to sleep part.  At half a gram a day, I needed a few mg of Ambien to get to sleep.  250mg taken in the morning was right on the edge.  I got to sleep ok, if a bit weirdly, but my sleep was kind of unsettled.  I'm not happy about the insomnia side effect, and hope I can find a way around it, because I have a hell of a lot of NR, having bought six bottles as part of PWAIN's group buy deal.  (oops- should have tried a bottle at the egregious retail price first...)   I've not been able to take it long enough to say anything about long term effects.

A possible complication is that I take a gram of niacin a day as therapy for high lp(a).  Could that be part of the problem?

I was doing some research on the possibility that plain ole cheap nicotinamide, nicotinic acid, and tryptophan may offer as much precursor value as NR -- and ran across this article (if you haven't already seen it) about NAD, the aging clock, and circadian rhythms that may offer some clues into your sleep disturbances when tinkering with the NAD+ process.

Attached Files

• like x 2

#364 Bryan_S

• 1,217 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

"I was doing some research on the possibility that plain ole cheap nicotinamide, nicotinic acid, and tryptophan may offer as much precursor value as NR"

trance,

I'm interested as well if you want to start a thread on that topic. Just let me know? Nicotinamide is pretty well researched and understood, Nicotinamide Riboside at this point in time is not. I think plain ole cheap Nicotinamide (NAM) may offer a similar path as you suggest. However I've seen no comparative data with Nicotinamide Riboside and the powers that be are unlikely to compare them point by point.

Bryan

Bielefeld-Germany-2011_NAD-salvage.png

#365 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

Recognizing that we're unlikely to get comparative data is it possible to come up with a "hedge" dose of niacin, niacinamide, and tryptophan stack at safe levels to use along with NR to maximize possible benefits from these lower cost options along with the premium NR? Efficacy data may be lacking but guidance on safe margins would help... and I assume it wouldn't matter on time of day for noon NR compounds?

I'm the dumb dumb in a sea of brilliance here but hoping your cumulative wisdom will help me avoid overdoing these other compounds. Personally I enjoy the niacin rush...

Just retried emptying NR caps under tongue...Not bad at all. Thanks, Bryan

#366 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:23 PM

"I was doing some research on the possibility that plain ole cheap nicotinamide, nicotinic acid, and tryptophan may offer as much precursor value as NR"

trance,

I'm interested as well if you want to start a thread on that topic...

Have you-guys started a new thread?

high Nicotinamide = low NAD+
low NAD+ = low SIRT
NR seems to be slowly split into Nicotinamide and Ribose in the gut and as such looks to be nothing more than slow release Ribose: the real NAD+ booster.

http://www.lmreview....ifespan-part-i/

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=690504
  • like x 1

#367 trance

• 335 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

Here you go:

http://www.longecity...sing-nad-as-nr/

#368 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

I just wanted to update. I got a body composition test and I gained 1.6 lbs of skeletal muscle, lost 1.5 lbs of body fat mass and lost anywhere from 1 to 5 inches (most closer to 1 inch) on various places on my body with no drastic change in diet or exercise routine. This was over a 2 month time period. 

I am actually now starting to distinctly notice vision improvement. Most notably is my night vision and sensitivity to light. Rooms that used to not seem so bright are really bright. When I am driving at night, all the lights from the cars, street lights and buildings seem much sharper; the colored lights are more colorful and brighter. It is actually very beautiful to drive at night now. My eyes pick up light very well in dark rooms and there is almost no recovery time necessary when switching from light to dark and vice versa. I don't get that blinding and painful reaction I used to when a the light gets turned on in a dark room that I had been in for a while. I also noticed my glasses and contacts are becoming too strong and I my need to go get a new prescription very soon. If these changes keep progressing the way they are I may not need glasses at all! I like to note that just last week I started eating carrots regularly, so I am thinking that my improved mitochondrial health from Niagen is allowing my body to use the beta carotene from the carrots more effectively which could be contributing to the sudden changes in vision? I really don't know why this is happening but it is happening. I did notice some improvement prior to the carrots but it has been more drastic since I started eating them.

In addition to taking Niagen, I am also taking a supplement with the polyphenol, pterostilbene, so this could be contributing to my reaction.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#369 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, trance!

#370 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

I just wanted to update. I got a body composition test and I gained 1.6 lbs of skeletal muscle, lost 1.5 lbs of body fat mass and lost anywhere from 1 to 5 inches (most closer to 1 inch) on various places on my body with no drastic change in diet or exercise routine. This was over a 2 month time period. 

I am actually now starting to distinctly notice vision improvement. Most notably is my night vision and sensitivity to light. Rooms that used to not seem so bright are really bright. When I am driving at night, all the lights from the cars, street lights and buildings seem much sharper; the colored lights are more colorful and brighter. It is actually very beautiful to drive at night now. My eyes pick up light very well in dark rooms and there is almost no recovery time necessary when switching from light to dark and vice versa. I don't get that blinding and painful reaction I used to when a the light gets turned on in a dark room that I had been in for a while. I also noticed my glasses and contacts are becoming too strong and I my need to go get a new prescription very soon. If these changes keep progressing the way they are I may not need glasses at all! I like to note that just last week I started eating carrots regularly, so I am thinking that my improved mitochondrial health from Niagen is allowing my body to use the beta carotene from the carrots more effectively which could be contributing to the sudden changes in vision? I really don't know why this is happening but it is happening. I did notice some improvement prior to the carrots but it has been more drastic since I started eating them.

In addition to taking Niagen, I am also taking a supplement with the polyphenol, pterostilbene, so this could be contributing to my reaction.

You do know that the eating carrots thing to improve your vision is a myth, it was perpetuated by our UK government during WW11 dont you...There is no evidence whatsoever that carrots inmprove your vision... :)

#371 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:10 AM

Here's the strange part. After stopping my sex drive went way up! It was like I was in my 30's.... Not teenage years unfortunately, but stronger than usual.

Has anyone else notice this?

We've noticed increased nitric oxide metabolism, i.e., responsiveness in both male and female, while continuing to take NR almost non-stop.
I've now verified that NAD (as NADPH) is essential for the conversion of l-arginine to nitric oxide. It is required for synthesis.

Edited by M-K, 16 October 2014 - 04:16 AM.

#372 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

...I like to note that just last week I started eating carrots regularly, so I am thinking that my improved mitochondrial health from Niagen is allowing my body to use the beta carotene from the carrots more effectively which could be contributing to the sudden changes in vision? I really don't know why this is happening but it is happening. I did notice some improvement prior to the carrots but it has been more drastic since I started eating them...

I remember something about C60 and Vit A in the liver posted here somewhere.
It may be worth looking for as C60 would in all probability increase NAD+ due to decreased need for SIRT/ROS protection.  Especially SIRT3.

#373 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

You do know that the eating carrots thing to improve your vision is a myth, it was perpetuated by our UK government during WW11 dont you...There is no evidence whatsoever that carrots inmprove your vision... :)

Your right... My nearsightedness isn't going to be fixed by eating carrots!! What I mostly noted was increase in light sensitivity which is effecting how I perceive things. Vitamin A is involved in detecting light so it would make sense that my improved detection of light could be the result of eating carrots!! I could be noticing an improvement in my vision because of this increased light sensitivity since it is making things appear sharper in focus. Only time will tell if my vision is actually improving from niagen... I really don't know if that is going to happen to the point that I no longer need vision correction.

#374 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

If not deemed inappropriate, may I posit this as per oral bioavailability of NAD+ and NADH, as well as to the availability of pure NAD+ for those so inclined to research within this area:

There is a study displaying that NAD itself is well absorbed orally and in a far superior fashion to NADH, which is shown in that study to be metabolically altered within the digestive tract to agents that were not identifiable within the scope of the study.  Within that study NADH displayed a lack of significant oral bioavailabilty, however, again, NAD did show solid oral ROA efficacy.

The above referenced study is cited within the below link so to get some further overview see this link perhaps that gives a brief overview:

http://teamtlr.com/a...ide-nad-99.html    ;)

#375 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

How much pterostilbene are you taking?  This is apparently related to blueberries.  I've been taking bilberry, another relative, for years, and my eyesight has also gradually improved over that time period.  (The first time I took bilberry, it was as if someone suddenly turned on a light.  I was driving to work at the time, during the day.  Haven't had that experience repeat so dramatically since then.)

#376 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

Your right... My nearsightedness isn't going to be fixed by eating carrots!! What I mostly noted was increase in light sensitivity which is effecting how I perceive things. Vitamin A is involved in detecting light so it would make sense that my improved detection of light could be the result of eating carrots!! I could be noticing an improvement in my vision because of this increased light sensitivity since it is making things appear sharper in focus. Only time will tell if my vision is actually improving from niagen... I really don't know if that is going to happen to the point that I no longer need vision correction.

If it is Vit A thats working for you, take a spoon of Cod Liver oil per day you should be seeing through walls by the end of the week. :)

carrot (835 μg )

cod liver oil (30000 μg)

• like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#377 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

How much pterostilbene are you taking?  This is apparently related to blueberries.  I've been taking bilberry, another relative, for years, and my eyesight has also gradually improved over that time period.  (The first time I took bilberry, it was as if someone suddenly turned on a light.  I was driving to work at the time, during the day.  Haven't had that experience repeat so dramatically since then.)

I am taking Chromadex's PurEnergy. It is a co-crystal of pterostilbene and caffeine that helps you use caffeine more efficiently. It just says 125 mg of the co-crystal on the box but on Chromadex's website it is 43% caffeine and 57% pterostilbene. So that would translate to me taking about 71 mg a day of pterostilbene. How much has your vision improved in the time you have been taking bilberry? My experience is continuing... I even detect the light better in the day, it just looks prettier at night. I notice that my vision almost seems perfect when I first open my eyes in the morning but then it adjust to me not seeing as well and I still have to put on my glasses. Still, I am starting to get headaches from wearing my glasses because the focus is too sharp and they seem too strong.

I am guessing that Niagen is making my body more efficient at using the nutrients I consume in my diet. I didn't have the best diet my first 2 months of using it and now I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and all the sudden I have this drastic change in vision after just one week of healthy eating. That's why I assumed it was the carrots, but it could be something else I am eating too or a combination of all of it. I know there are other compounds found in vegetables that participate in vision health. I have also been consuming broccoli and romaine lettuce as well. 

here's the info on PurEnergy: https://chromadex.co.../PurEnergy.html

#378 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

I am taking Chromadex's PurEnergy. It is a co-crystal of pterostilbene and caffeine that helps you use caffeine more efficiently. It just says 125 mg of the co-crystal on the box but on Chromadex's website it is 43% caffeine and 57% pterostilbene. So that would translate to me taking about 71 mg a day of pterostilbene. How much has your vision improved in the time you have been taking bilberry? My experience is continuing... I even detect the light better in the day, it just looks prettier at night. I notice that my vision almost seems perfect when I first open my eyes in the morning but then it adjust to me not seeing as well and I still have to put on my glasses. Still, I am starting to get headaches from wearing my glasses because the focus is too sharp and they seem too strong.

I am guessing that Niagen is making my body more efficient at using the nutrients I consume in my diet. I didn't have the best diet my first 2 months of using it and now I am trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and all the sudden I have this drastic change in vision after just one week of healthy eating. That's why I assumed it was the carrots, but it could be something else I am eating too or a combination of all of it. I know there are other compounds found in vegetables that participate in vision health. I have also been consuming broccoli and romaine lettuce as well. 

here's the info on PurEnergy: https://chromadex.co.../PurEnergy.html

FWIW, I've taken pterostilbene (100+mg) for a couple years, and resveratrol since 2007'ish... And Niagen for several months now. 

These compounds (or other supplements for that matter) didn't improve my vision as far as I know. (Still using the same kind of contact lenses)

• like x 1

#379 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

If it is Vit A thats working for you, take a spoon of Cod Liver oil per day you should be seeing through walls by the end of the week. :)

carrot (835 μg )

cod liver oil (30000 μg)

haha... wow that's a lot. I am already overwhelmed by the changes in my vision at this point not trying to overdo it. That is a direct source of vitamin A while with carrots beta-carotene needs to be converted first. I think that is a safer route for getting my vitamin A. At this point it is still a guess and there could be other factors.

#380 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Re vision improvement... at 64 my nighttime and dusk vision has steadily deteriorated. At a couple weeks in of incorporating NR (now at 1 gram a day) I've noticed I am now better able to discern the numbers on my gates combination lock in the evening when I return from work. I regularly had to resort to my android phone's flashlight and often can now see the numbers without those flashlight

I am very impressed with this subtle change and as posted earlier, going down stairs a bit easier has me feeling that changes are indeed afoot within my body.

Edited by Vastmandana, 17 October 2014 - 05:48 PM.

• like x 2

#381 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

How much has your vision improved in the time you have been taking bilberry? My experience is continuing... I even detect the light better in the day, it just looks prettier at night. I notice that my vision almost seems perfect when I first open my eyes in the morning but then it adjust to me not seeing as well and I still have to put on my glasses. Still, I am starting to get headaches from wearing my glasses because the focus is too sharp and they seem too strong.

It's difficult to quantify how much my vision has improved.  After being derelict for perhaps five years in visiting the optometrist, I was surprised to learn that my old prescription was outrageously strong for my eyes.  I returned a year later (a few months ago), and the new prescription is again less strong.  I definitely still need glasses for driving and some activities, but my vision is better.

I originally conjectured that the change was due to my wearing glasses less often at work, thus "exercising" my vision.  I'm near sighted and have been since childhood.  On the average day, I wear them only for driving, watching television in the evening, and when I want to observe more carefully the people I interact with; otherwise, they hang from a cord around my neck.  All this time I thought of bilberry as something that would only have an effect while in the bloodstream.  Your post made me rethink that.  I should also point out that I take a full-spectrum multivitamin shake every morning (All-One); it contains, I'd guess, something like 10,000 IU vitamin A, at least part of that in the form of beta carotene.  I've also been on a Mediterranean diet, heavy in greens, for at least five years.

I do think the Niagen improved my night vision more noticeably than bilberry since I started taking it in January.  I have pterostilbene on order.  I wonder if it can be substituted for resveratrol.

One of the reasons your posts are so interesting and helpful is that you are not taking all of these supplements!

#382 SMichelle28

• 28 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

It's difficult to quantify how much my vision has improved.  After being derelict for perhaps five years in visiting the optometrist, I was surprised to learn that my old prescription was outrageously strong for my eyes.  I returned a year later (a few months ago), and the new prescription is again less strong.  I definitely still need glasses for driving and some activities, but my vision is better.

I originally conjectured that the change was due to my wearing glasses less often at work, thus "exercising" my vision.  I'm near sighted and have been since childhood.  On the average day, I wear them only for driving, watching television in the evening, and when I want to observe more carefully the people I interact with; otherwise, they hang from a cord around my neck.  All this time I thought of bilberry as something that would only have an effect while in the bloodstream.  Your post made me rethink that.  I should also point out that I take a full-spectrum multivitamin shake every morning (All-One); it contains, I'd guess, something like 10,000 IU vitamin A, at least part of that in the form of beta carotene.  I've also been on a Mediterranean diet, heavy in greens, for at least five years.

I do think the Niagen improved my night vision more noticeably than bilberry since I started taking it in January.  I have pterostilbene on order.  I wonder if it can be substituted for resveratrol.

One of the reasons your posts are so interesting and helpful is that you are not taking all of these supplements!

Maybe your good diet is contributing a lot to the improvement in your night vision being paired with Niagen. I have had glasses since my early teens and I am now almost 30 so I have less years of age related damage. I am nearsighted and I have astigmatism in both eyes. The astigmatism slightly affects my up close vision so I still wear glasses when I am looking at close things. It is very hard to tell how much my vision has changed but the change in my detection of light is very noticeable.

Pterostilbene is very similar to resveratrol but I have read that they work well together but the pterostilbene is more bioavailable. I actually thought about supplementing resveratrol as well but I haven't done it yet.

Thanks! yeah, I am new to this whole supplement thing. Being a dietetic student we are often taught that supplements are mostly bad or unnecessary and usually make false claims but when I was forced to look into Niagen... that view changed a little. So now I am taking the 2 supplements and I have been on them a little over 2 months. I didn't even use a multivitamin before.

#383 PerfectSeek

• 70 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Add me to the list of people who noticed little to nothing, maybe a mild stimulation effect.  I have only experimented with dosages between 125mg - 500mg per day, will try larger dosages at some point and report back.  

c60 is far more significant for me - and seems to last forever.  

• like x 1

#384 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

http://health.howstu...s-eyesight.html

Are carrots really good for your eyesight?

by Sarah Winkler

carrots-good-eyesight-1.jpg

If you ate all these carrots, would you be able to see through walls?

To ease kids' suspicion of vegetables, parents often feed them the adage that carrots will spare them from corrective vision care. But is there any truth to the commonly held belief that carrots are good for your eyes?

Well, yes and no. Carrots won't improve your visual acuity if you have less than perfect vision. For example, a diet of carrots won't give a blind person 20/20 vision. But the vitamins found in the vegetable can help promote overall eye health. Carrots contain beta-carotene, a substance that the body converts to vitamin A, an important nutrient for eye health.

For centuries, carrots have been connected with health benefits. In the Middle Ages, carrots were believed to cure anything from sexually transmitted diseases to snakebites [source:Kruszelnicki]. Carrots became associated with vision, particularly night vision, during World War II. The British Royal Air Force published a story that said skilled fighter pilot John "Cats' Eyes" Cunningham could thank a steady diet of carrots for his night vision flying prowess. In response to the story, many British people began to grow and eat more carrots. They wanted to improve their vision so that they could see better during the compulsory blackouts that were common during World War II. Although Cats' Eyes' carrot eating made for a great story, it was, in fact, propaganda put out to conceal the fact that the Royal Air Force's was actually using radar to locate Luftwaffe bombers during the night [source: Kruszelnicki].

Although British propaganda may have lent carrots a bit more vision-related cachet than they deserve, there's still no doubt that the vitamins found in carrots can promote overall eye health. How do carrots help your eyes?

Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a carotenoid pigment found in many orange fruits and vegetables. Beta-carotene is an important precursor for vitamin A. An extreme lack of vitamin A can cause blindness. In fact, in the developing world, vitamin A deficiency is the leading cause of blindness [source: Web MD].

Lack of vitamin A can also lead to xerophthalmia, a condition in which the eyes can no longer produce tears, dryness in the eyes, swollen eyelids and corneal ulcers. Vitamin A can prevent the formation of cataracts and macular degeneration, the world's leading cause of blindness [source: All About Vision]. However, if your vision problems aren't related to vitamin A, your vision won't change no matter how many carrots you eat.

Carrots aren't the only vegetable that contain the essential beta-carotene that can help your eyes. Other orange-colored foods, such as sweet potatoes, mango, pumpkins, apricots and cantaloupe, are also sources of beta-carotene. This nutrient can also be found in dairy products like milk and cheese as well as egg yolks and liver.

But watch how much beta-carotene-rich fruits and veggies you eat. Since beta-carotene is a pigment, your skin might become orange. Although this likely is harmless, if it happens to you, you might want to consult a health care professional to make sure you're consuming a balanced diet.

In addition to beta-carotene, carrots also contain lutein, an antioxidant. Foods rich in lutein have been found to increase pigment density in the macula, the oval-shaped yellow area near the retina of the eye. The greater the pigment density in the macula, the better protected your retina is and the lower your risk for macular degeneration. In addition to carrots, spinach, kale, Swiss card and dark, leafy greens also contain lutein.

• Off-Topic x 1

#385 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

Please try to keep posts on the topic of your experience with NR – thanks.   

• like x 2

#386 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

I've been taking NR since October 8th and have gradually ramped up to roughly 1.5g/day. I am 64, consume a large variety of supplements, many intended to extend my declining mind/body/spirit, including ALCAR, R+SR, PQQ, 7-KETOm, Mag L Threonate, Ubiquinol, UC-II, OrthoCore, and a raft of others...

I decided to post my observations today as I realized I was finally doing things differently and my excitement is real. I've studiously avoided making any changes to my daily routine cept for adding 2g. TMG, 400mg SAMe and 10 days ago 1-2g of Mega's Trans-Resveratrol powder, and 500mg. Niacin a couple times a day whenever I desire the wonderful rush/flush...

My eyesight has continued to improve...as I reported before,  I noticed a few weeks ago I was better able to read combo lock numbers at my gate in the evening, I realized today that I can now also read the dinky tags on organic veg such as tomatoes at Farmer Joe's denoting country of origin...this was virtually impossible before. However, most significantly is that I was able to navigate rocks/bluffs up and down Volt's favorite bay ocean frontage tongue which extends into the bay. We've been going there for several years and I've evolved into needing a wood/staff for leverage or needed to be careful, bending/reaching for handholds as I followed my dog down to the water front...Not today!

Until today I was noticing it getting easier going down my deck staircase but was still needing to be careful going down the land's edge to the water...I even looked for my staff in the back of the truck but it was buried under plants and I just skipped it... and then realized I didn't need it.  I ran around, chased Volt up and down the hills/sand dunes, which he loved, and felt more younger than I have in years...I was in heaven!

When I took the plunge and invested much of my available funds in an NR stockpile I also was going to join the gym and really see how the combined efforts might improve my state of mind/body/spirit. However, I decided to wait and keep all else the same and just follow what is perceived makes sense in exploring the ramifications NR might have on my life. Thus, armed with methy doners and the resveratrol which may do wonders if adequate cellular nad levels exist (per that Harvard dude)...I can happily report that I'm beginning to feel physiologically younger... and look forward to this trajectory...

I have not been rigorous or methodological in incorporating NR/others into my regimine as from all I can read/see we are still flying with blinders on. I began taking a single escallating dose before lightfall but have now taken to augmenting with 500mgs or so at various times during the day, with or without food. I wish we knew what is best for sustained nad levels and hate to think I'm dumping scarce and hard to come by money out my waste stream but this seems to be one of the many things we are flying in the dark about. I look forward to the light all you wonderful humans are trying to shed on this and other areas...

Personally, from an intuitive perspective, I think anyone my age or so should combine adequate methyl doners (TMG is cheap) and resveratrol to the NR package.  Can't say what might have happened otherwise.

I will be adding a 2 year costco 24hour fitness purchase to my life in a couple weeks, to take this all a step further.  Still curious about how things will progress without this but know that a daily gym routine will be hugely beneficial in the long run

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Edited by Vastmandana, 26 October 2014 - 11:13 PM.

• like x 1

#387 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

P90X, a yoga mat, and a good set of free weights made much more of a difference in my well being than any supplement I've tried, at least so far.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#388 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:47 AM

P90X, a yoga mat, and a good set of free weights made much more of a difference in my well being than any supplement I've tried, at least so far.

All well and good. But this is about whats going on inside on the celular level rather than the outside.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#389 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

Exercise can be a 'eustress' of greatest benefit that is absolutely acting upon the cellular level of course.  Obviously, as with everything, it has its limits, and supplementation can be both additive and synergistic.

#390 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

All well and good. But this is about whats going on inside on the celular level rather than the outside.

tintinet... for my age I'm probably more fit than most, creating  gardens, moving boulders, schleping soil, terraforming... one of the few "white guys" not sitting in a truck while others do the work...I do most of it myself.  Upper body is quite fine but where I've lagged is in legs and lower body overall... and I am finding things are happening which I find extremely exciting.  Avoiding any change in daily routines, unlike some others ("I've quite all my other supplements to see what NR can do"...get a real good idea there....OY!) who are modifying too many variables to discern what is going on. Even yourself, when mentioning an improvement in pullups or something said it was probably the creatinine you'd also started taking...

Additionally... and I've expressed frustration about this before... neither you nor many "negatory" posters have revealed you ages....which I think is very relevant... I just don't get this...if you're a young gym rat, why would you even be considering NR? (actually there may be reasons, HPN is sellin' it and says so....)

midas.... BINGO!!!  Absolutely spot on!  I've both laughed and shook my head at folks going "WoW!!! I was a superman!" as if the stuff is speed.  From everything I've gleaned, we're dealing with a molecular rebalancing at the cellular level, where these sirtuins and stuff are revitalized, start snipping off nasty molecules activating aging genes, reenerginzing mitochondrial activity throughout the body, reactivating the clean up crews which we still don't understand but obviously get disrupted as we age. Obviously I've just butchered a real coherent summary of all I watched and read....sorry

I do not think this is something we will fully understand or comprehend for a long time, as the Harvard dude notes...but reestablishing youthful levels of critical chemistry just makes sense...so our miraculous body machine can function properly even at an aging state

My objective is to remain as much of a mindful observer of what is happening within my body, as it relates to my ability to function in the real world.  And as I already buffer myself with most readily available compounds and force myself to get up most days of the week and do physical work which is often a struggle, I figured this would be a great experiment...and I'm excited by the changes I'm able to discern

I figure whatever is happening at the cellular level will take months to unfold...

Exercise can be a 'eustress' of greatest benefit that is absolutely acting upon the cellular level of course.  Obviously, as with everything, it has its limits, and supplementation can be both additive and synergistic.

V... of course... indeed, the complexity of all these variables is what is so challenging to comprehend...However, I don't think PUMPING UP, which seems to be the agenda/focus of some of the posts in the forum is going to do what NR does... and mixing the two, or modifying my otherwise stable lifestyle to confuse the cause and effects of what I'm experiencing...or getting in to a p90x fight over whether such a choice makes more sense... doesn't further the topic of this thread

BTW, Veritas you asked if anyone's doing 2g/day yet... I'm at 1 to 1.5 here and there... will continue as such for a couple months to see how things unfold and what new data from trials might disclose about dose/intercellular nad level changes.  I'm a bit bummed I've gone to 1.5ish as I'm left wondering if my rock climbing experience would have happened at 1g.... Impatience/quick fixes/lazy humans... I struggle with these very tendencies of our species...

• dislike x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By