- - - - -

Caffeine/L-Theanine doing nothing...

nootropics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Caelorum

• 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

So I'm trying to find something that will help keep me awake and focused at work on the weekends. I spend 12 hours in a booth each day, and I'd like to make the best of that time by studying. Instead I end up lazily browsing the Internet because I can't be bothered to be productive.

I figured I would start with caffeine/l-theanine to see if I could just wake myself up enough and get focused enough to read and study for 12 hours.

I purchased some capsules that have 100 MG caffeine and 200 MG l-theanine. I tried 1 capsule thursday. And honestly didn't feel anything all day.

Today at 4:50 am, I took 2 pills. 200mg caffeine, 400mg l-theanine. Then took 2 more at 11:30 am.

Honestly, I could go for a nap right now. Feeling lazy. Still unmotivated. Just..eh..

Thinking of maybe trying something else. Maybe modafinil? Noopept?

My diet is great. And my sleep schedule is alright. I just need something to help me wake up and study for a prolonged period of time.

#2 Lobotomy

• 110 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

L-Theanine is not a cure-all. You need to put forth a little effort yourself.

Try 4-6g of Piracetam in one dose and see what it does for you. You could have too much acetylcholine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

L-Theanine is not a cure-all. You need to put forth a little effort yourself.

Try 4-6g of Piracetam in one dose and see what it does for you. You could have too much acetylcholine.

I have read from many sources that boosting acetylcholine levels is usually good from a cognitive enhancement standpoint. I know that overloading acetylcholine has the opposite effect and also causes depression, but are naturally high acetylcholine levels really a thing?

Edited by Fenix_, 19 October 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#4 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

I personally use very different caffeine/L-theanine ratios than most. In my cup of joe (~150 mg caffeine) I'll add maybe 20-50 mg L-Theanine, just enough to hone in. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it. 

I've used phenylpiractem as well as nicotine gum for studying session (not together), along with some light caffeine and L-Theanine. Works well for me, but everyone here is so different.

#5 Caelorum

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

I've tried different ratios. I'm not sure if going over 400 MG of caffeine/800 MG of l-theanine is smart. I just don't feel anything. Still as tired as usual.

Going to try piracetam and see if it does me any good. So much testing in the world of nootropics. Where's the 1 size fits all pill.

#6 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

The one size fits all pill just ain't coming..

Yeah lots of testing to be done. If you're chronically fatigued you might want to look more into that, and less how to cover it up with stimulants or supplements. 

#7 Caelorum

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

It's not chronic fatigue. It's just, when I'm sitting alone in a booth for 12 hours straight, I go insane. I'll get bored and tired. I lose my attention span entirely. I can force myself to study. But I'll put the books down a thousand times, and I'll usually forget what I studied. I need some external assistance.

I want to study 12 hours straight, focused, and alert, while retaining all of the info.

Step 1 is waking myself up and being focused and alert. Then I'll worry about the step 2 memory/comprehension part. Which I'm assuming modafinil could help.

Edited by Caelorum, 19 October 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#8 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Yeah twelve hours of straight studying... Sounds like a bitch. Get the modafinil if you can, I've never used it but it obviously sounds great. 

#9 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Add L-taurine and L-carnitine (preferably acetyl L carnitine). Trust me, that will enable the effects for ultimate synergism...even in people insensitive to caffeine.

Edited by Area-1255, 19 October 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#10 Caelorum

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Add L-taurine and L-carnitine (preferably acetyl L carnitine). Trust me, that will enable the effects for ultimate synergism...even in people insensitive to caffeine.

Add it with the caffeine/l-theanine and racetams? I've always heard a bad stigma on taurine. Due to monster energy drink/energy drinks in general.

#11 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

Add it with the caffeine/l-theanine and racetams? I've always heard a bad stigma on taurine. Due to monster energy drink/energy drinks in general.

I've never had a problem with it, in fact I've combined monster plus taurine and piracetam before...also with colour, you have to remember that most of the negs of energy drinks come from the pharmaceutically re-engineered sugars and fructose variants. Qaudracarn is the best carnitine formula but a little more expensive.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

It's not chronic fatigue. It's just, when I'm sitting alone in a booth for 12 hours straight, I go insane. I'll get bored and tired. I lose my attention span entirely. I can force myself to study. But I'll put the books down a thousand times, and I'll usually forget what I studied. I need some external assistance.

I want to study 12 hours straight, focused, and alert, while retaining all of the info.

Step 1 is waking myself up and being focused and alert. Then I'll worry about the step 2 memory/comprehension part. Which I'm assuming modafinil could help.

12 hours of straight, focused studying may not be very realistic.

Break up your study time into manageable blocks of strong focus instead - find your sweet spot. The brain is not like the machines we humans construct, it needs some TLC and trickery.

My most focused and effective studying during university consisted of 40 minutes of playing a computer game, and 40 minutes of focused studying. 15 minutes break after each 80 minutes. This was a schedule a friend and I developed, and it worked really well. We would take turns at the computer and with the books.

We would also sit down to explain to each other what we had been studying. Discussing it forces you to organize the material effectively in the same way you would need it organized during a test.

Just by being in the same room with another person created positive pressure to study. During gaming, my conscious mind was taken completely off the study material, which I theorize helped the unconscious mind digest it.

Maybe a less sedentary activity than gaming would be even more useful, to avoid sitting for too long. But it would have to be something you really enjoy doing, and not too physically strenuous.

So the idea is less actual time put in with a higher degree of focus. Remember it is the end result that counts, not how many hours of study time you put in.

Also, instead of just passively reading the study literature, try to find ways of making the study session active. For example, rewrite summaries of what you read (by hand - typing does not engage the brain as effectively. If you also create shapes or doodle on the page, your brain will find the text more interesting and may actually remember facts based on their unusual presentation on the page or because of the funny face you drew next to it, or whatever other device you can come up with. Go crazy trying these things and see what works for you.) When rewriting, use your own words. This forces you to actually understand what you are reading, because you can not summarize something you do not comprehend. Read one page (or one section - find what works best), then summarize it.

Just taking nootropics is unlikely to help much if you do not use other little devices to tickle your brain's fancy.

• like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users