• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside Current News and Updates

niagen nad booster charles brenner david sinclair nicotinamide riboside nad nicotinamide ribo nad news leonard guarente

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#121 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

Results of new Chromadex study continue to trickle out, including significant NAD at the two lower doses.  Does this mean the gram dose was ineffective?  We'll have to wait to find out.

http://mobile.nutrai...ta#.VOOUg4TnZ74

Edited by M-K, 17 February 2015 - 07:38 PM.

• like x 3

#122 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

Results of new Chromadex study continue to trickle out, including significant NAD at the two lower doses. Does this mean the gram dose was ineffective? We'll have to wait to find out.

I think the key is what they consider to be statistically significant. If a late middle aged person has a NAD pool 50% below that of a healthy younger person, and 250 mg of NR raises that pool by 5-10%, that might be STATISTICALLY significant, though not therapeutically significant....
It is good that modest amounts of NR delivered orally increases NAD in humans....that is significant.
  • Agree x 3

#123 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

M-K nice find!

Doses

The study also established an effective dose range for NR in humans, said ChromaDex in a statement. “We
got statistically significant results for the two lowest doses used in the study, which was great news for us as it
supports the dose range of the products in the market,” Jaksch told NutraIngredients­USA.

statistically significant   are the operative words supporting ChromaDex's recommended dose.

Pharmacokinetics Dietary Supplement: Niagen 100mg
Dietary Supplement: Niagen 300mg
Dietary Supplement: Niagen 1000mg Phase 1

https://clinicaltria...riboside&rank=1

At this point we do not have a handle on the metrics used.

I agree with Kevnzworld that "modest amounts of NR delivered orally increases NAD in humans....that is significant."

Edited by Bryan_S, 17 February 2015 - 08:51 PM.

• Agree x 2

#124 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

Results of new Chromadex study continue to trickle out, including significant NAD at the two lower doses. Does this mean the gram dose was ineffective? We'll have to wait to find out.

I think the key is what they consider to be statistically significant. If a late middle aged person has a NAD pool 50% below that of a healthy younger person, and 250 mg of NR raises that pool by 5-10%, that might be STATISTICALLY significant, though not therapeutically significant....
It is good that modest amounts of NR delivered orally increases NAD in humans....that is significant.

Not to disagree, but wouldn't any dose that exceeded NAD replacement need, however small, be therapeutic?  My guess has been that it should be possible to slowly refill the NAD reservoir, the necessary dose depending on age and health.  We'll know better when the study is published, but I don't really expect it to answer many questions.  Where are the studies of aged mice continually fed NR?

Edited by M-K, 17 February 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#125 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

Not to disagree, but wouldn't any dose that exceeded NAD replacement need, however small, be therapeutic? My guess has been that it should be possible to slowly refill the NAD reservoir, the necessary dose depending on age and health. We'll know better when the study is published, but I don't really expect it to answer many questions. Where are the studies of aged mice continually fed NR?
There is a half life to any exogenous augmentation thru supplementation. There may be a huge difference between the amount of NR needed to restore NAD levels to youthful levels, and the amounts that just increase NAD levels a statistically significant amount.
In many of the scientific studies I've read, any measurable amount is statistically significant as long as it's more than a sampling error.....even if it's just a few %.

Edited by Kevnzworld, 17 February 2015 - 10:16 PM.

#126 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Re #125:

I thought halflife referred to the length of time a supplement remained in the blood stream.  However, you've reminded me that some article or other stated that 95% of produced NAD is used up for current needs, with only 5% (don't hold me to the percentages) being stored.  If true, that too would affect the required dosages.

• Ill informed x 1

#127 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:06 AM

I asked an opinion about these results to the scientist im contact with, he said they're good but this isnt going to help much the speeding up of the process for the testing of NR on mitochondrial diseased patients, because the authorities in charge are asking them some questions that are very hard to answer at this point in time and the researchers are trying to figure out a way to answer these (some of them silly) questions.

It's quite demoralizing to see human progress slowed down by ignorant bureaucrats.

• Agree x 3

#128 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

I asked an opinion about these results to the scientist im contact with, he said they're good but this isnt going to help much the speeding up of the process for the testing of NR on mitochondrial diseased patients, because the authorities in charge are asking them some questions that are very hard to answer at this point in time and the researchers are trying to figure out a way to answer these (some of them silly) questions.

It's quite demoralizing to see human progress slowed down by ignorant bureaucrats.

I think the problems they will be having is the same long drawn out process the medical world have to adhere to with any new drug/compound which takes years rather than months...

At least we know that NR is safe, which is a good starting point and because it does not come under the usual FDA restrictions we are able to buy and use it.

I know this is very frustrating for us all, especially you for your health issues, but I really don't think it will do you any harm in taking it in the meantime, matter of fact I am convinced that it will only do you good. Especially as we now know that it boosts NAD levels.

We just need some concrete information as to the exact results of the ongoing Chromadex trials with the three different dosages......Fingers crossed, onwards and upwards..

#129 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

I know this is very frustrating for us all, especially you for your health issues, but I really don't think it will do you any harm in taking it in the meantime, matter of fact I am convinced that it will only do you good. Especially as we now know that it boosts NAD levels.

We just need some concrete information as to the exact results of the ongoing Chromadex trials with the three different dosages......Fingers crossed, onwards and upwards..

Agree, but im holding out just because i wouldn't be eligible to take part in the study if i used the substance before.

I mean, i could lie and say i did not use it but that's not my style.

I have been told that part of the study includes two biopsies, one before and one after the period in which i will be taking NR, to analyze the effect of NR on skeletal muscle (plus other clinical tests), so i am also curious to see whether this will have any effects on that.

• Agree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#130 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

Agree, but im holding out just because i wouldn't be eligible to take part in the study if i used the substance before.

I have been told that part of the study includes two biopsies, one before and one after the period in which i will be taking NR, to analyze the effect of NR on skeletal muscle (plus other clinical tests), so i am also curious to see whether this will have any effects on that.

I can understand wanting to wait and be in the study, because you will get the two biopsies and perhaps some other diagnostic work.  I presume that you will have access to your data; if not then there's a lot less reason to do it.  The cost of staying in the study is that you don't get to use NR now, nor do you get to use C60oo, another promising mitochondrial compound.  If you stay in the study, you should cut a deal with them to let you start c60oo after the second biopsy, then do a third biopsy on you after using c60oo for a period of time.  If they see anything interesting there, they might want to follow up with a larger study of c60 by itself or combined with NR.  That would be beneficial for them, and it would be beneficial for us if we learned something about the way these two compounds interact and their effect on mitochondrial function.

• Agree x 4
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • like x 1

#131 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

I certainly dont envy the situation you are in Asor.

If it is a blind placebo controlled trial you wont get any results until the end, and you may find that you have not been getting the NR anyway.....I suppose it all depends on the type of trial they are going to do and how long it is going to take to get it off the ground....Good luck either way..

What I do know is that these studies are strictly controlled (I have done a couple of heart related studies) and they will not let you use the C60 and if you mention that when you talk to them they may just take you off the study for fear that you are going to do it anyway, be careful with that.

• Off-Topic x 1

#132 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:13 AM

If it is a blind placebo controlled trial you wont get any results until the end, and you may find that you have not been getting the NR anyway.....I suppose it all depends on the type of trial they are going to do and how long it is going to take to get it off the ground....Good luck either way..

What I do know is that these studies are strictly controlled (I have done a couple of heart related studies) and they will not let you use the C60 and if you mention that when you talk to them they may just take you off the study for fear that you are going to do it anyway, be careful with that.

No it's not blind placebo controlled.

I wont mention c60, but i dont think they will easily take me off the study for that or any other reason: they dont have many patients and just one more is a luxury, and they're afraid many of the potential patients wont take part due to the double biopsy we need to have.

A few notes: at this moment im not in a bad situation, im doing pretty well and the only symptom is the ocular ophtalmoplegia, for the rest im in good shape, so i dont have an urgency to start NR by myself as a last chance cure or something like that.

I really want to be part of this study for other reasons too, main one is to know the correct dosage, i think it's going to be higher than the one used in the Chromadex study (1000mg the higher dose tried), my wild guess is 2 grams / daily, also there is talks of other substances being used with NR to increase absorption, and beside the biopsy other clinical exams will be performed.

In short, im more interested to know the effect from a scientific point of view rather than trying an expensive substance by myself without any mean to gauge the real effectiveness due to the nature of this disease where the symptoms arent easily measurable.

Edited by Asor, 20 February 2015 - 01:15 AM.

• Agree x 1

#133 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:27 AM

I wish you luck Asor, and I hope it starts soon...

As a side note, who is the idiot that keeps voting "off topic" to discussion like this about NR. this thread is for discussing NR current news and updates. This is news about NR. And we need to be able to discus NR issues and support members.

To be honest this new voting system is stupid, it was better when we just had the old vote up or down system...

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#134 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

New Paper

Calorie Restriction-Mediated Replicative Lifespan Extension in Yeast Is Non-Cell Autonomous
Szu-Chieh Mei, Charles Brenner

http://www.medicine....tent/Mei15a.pdf

#135 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

University of Nebraska-Lincoln Events   Charles M. Brenner - ACKERSON LECTURE

Apr. 29, 2015

4:00 pm–5:00 pm

Beadle Center Room: E103
Additional Info: BEAD
 Melanie Simpson, 402-472-9309, msimpson2@unl.edu

https://events.unl.e...15/04/29/96768/

“How Nicotinamide Riboside Promotes Weight Loss” will be presented by Dr. Charles M. Brenner, PhD, Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry & Professor of Internal Medicine, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa.

Charles Brenner trained in molecular biology and genetics at Wesleyan University, Chiron Corporation and DNAX Research Institute before conducting his PhD with Robert Fuller at Stanford University. There, he was the first to purify and characterize the Kex2 prohormone convertase and apply biochemical and genetic tools to characterize its substrate specificity and mechanism. He served as a Leukemia Society of America Fellow with Gregory Petsko from 1993 to 1996 before taking an independent position at Thomas Jefferson University, where he earned funding from the National Institutes of Health and multiple private agencies. He was recruited to leadership positions at Dartmouth’s Norris Cotton Cancer Center in 2003 and to become Head of Biochemistry at the University of Iowa in 2009. An expert in metabolism, he is best known for discovering nicotinamide riboside as a eukaryotic NAD precursor vitamin and for making novel contributions to our understanding of reversible modifications to DNA and proteins. He is also credited with re-invigorating the Department of Biochemistry and for launching the Obesity Research and Education Initiative at the University of Iowa.

• Informative x 1

#136 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:29 AM

https://jobs.uiowa.e...stdoc/view/2363

I'm sure one of you would like a full time job studying Nicotinamide Riboside. Here you go make the call.

POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLAR REQUISITION # 2363

Persons with disabilities may contact the recruiting department if accommodations are needed.

POSITION BASICS
Advertising Ends on: Extended Until Position is Filled Advertising Started on: Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 College: Carver College of Medicine Department: Biochemistry
SALARY
Salary: Commensurate
POSITION DETAILS
Full/Part Time Status: Full Time Percent Time: 100% Position Description:

The Brenner laboratory is seeking as many as three postdoctoral scholars to work on NAD metabolism and/or DNA methylation. In NAD metabolism, scholars will utilize mouse, rat and human systems to probe the activity of nicotinamide riboside on enzyme functions in health and disease. Tools will include analysis of animal physiology, liver and nerve function, and analyses at the biochemical, proteomic and metabolomic levels. In DNA methylation, scholars will use biochemical and cellular approaches to determine how to reactivate tumor suppressor gene expression. Excellent training is available for all technologies..

Education Requirement:

Interested applicants must have (or soon expect to have) a PhD with publications in biochemistry, biophysics, molecular and cellular biology, physiology or a related discipline.

Required Qualifications:

A strong background in experimental science including design and analysis of controlled experiments is required.

Desirable Qualifications:

Experience is desirable in several different areas including in vitro biochemistry, mass spectrometry, mitochondrial biology, molecular and cellular biology, animal modeling, and respirometry.

ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
  Curriculum Vita
Name and Contact Information of References
Letters of Interest   Number of References:  3

To start the Online Application process for this position, click the "Apply for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Cmed-Biochemistry
BOWEN SCIENCE BUILDING
51 NEWTON RD
4-403 BSB
IOWA CITY, IA 52242
Department URL: http://www.medicine....u/biochemistry/

The University of Iowa prohibits discrimination in employment or in its educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies. For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, and the ADA in the The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, 319/335-0705 (voice) or 319/335-0697 (text), The University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242-1316.

Prospective employees may review the University Campus Security Policy and the latest annual crime statistics by contacting the Department of Public Safety at 319/335-5022.

#137 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

Effect of nicotinamide mononucleotide on brain mitochondrial respiratory deficits in an Alzheimer’s disease-relevant murine model

http://paperity.org/...-deficits-in-an

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#138 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:57 PM

Effect of nicotinamide mononucleotide on brain mitochondrial respiratory deficits in an Alzheimer’s disease-relevant murine model

Thanks Bryan, I wish I understood it more but the impression I get is it's positive.......Some may find this is a more readable version of the same paper here....... http://www.biomedcen...2377/15/19#sec2

I also came across this if you have not seen it before... http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24905194

#139 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Bryan, I wish I understood it more but the impression I get is it's positive.......Some may find this is a more readable version of the same paper here....... http://www.biomedcen...2377/15/19#sec2

I also came across this if you have not seen it before... http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24905194

I found the study on heart protection from ischemia very interesting, thanks for posting that insight. These are things we will never see tested on humans and suggests deeper benefits to boosting NAD levels thru administering its precursors.

• Agree x 3

#140 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

I found the study on heart protection from ischemia very interesting, thanks for posting that insight. These are things we will never see tested on humans and suggests deeper benefits to boosting NAD levels thru administering its precursors.

It was the muscle regenerative side of this that got me interested in NMN/NR in the first place....Especially in relation to the heart, as I have a heart problem....... So it was a great and hopeful positive find for me also Bryan, I only found that because I read the references at the bottom of the paper you posted a link to, so thanks for that :)

• Agree x 3

#141 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

A new or updated NR patent application from Cornell University, covering a new (?) method of synthesis and every possible use or method of administration I can think of.  I find the breadth stunning.  The suggested dosages are interesting, too, but I really need some insight from people familiar with drug patents.  And what the hell is nicotinoyl?  Interpretations welcome.

NICOTINOYL RIBOSIDE COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS OF USE

http://www.freepaten...15/0072950.html

• Informative x 1

#142 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Pharmacological NAD-boosting Strategies Improve Mitochondrial Homeostasis in Human Complex I-mutant Fibroblasts.

3-18-2015

http://molpharm.aspe...097204.full.pdf

Abstract
Mitochondrial disorders are devastating genetic diseases for which efficacious therapies are still an
unmet need. Recent studies report that increased availability of intracellular NAD obtained by
inhibition of the NAD-consuming enzyme poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP)-1 or
supplementation with the NAD-precursor nicotinamide riboside (NR) ameliorates energetic
derangement and symptoms in mouse models of mitochondrial disorders. Whether these
pharmacological approaches also improve bioenergetics of human cells harbouring mitochondrial
defects is unknown. It is also unclear whether the same signaling cascade is prompted by PARP-1
inhibitors and NR supplementation to improve mitochondrial homeostasis. Here, we show that
human fibroblasts mutant for NDUFS1 subunit of respiratory Complex I have similar ATP, NAD and
mitochondrial content compared to control cells, but show reduced mitochondrial membrane
potential. Interestingly, mutant cells also show increased transcript levels of mtDNA but not nDNA
respiratory complex subunits, suggesting activation of a compensatory response. At variance with
prior work in mice, however, NR supplementation but not PARP-1 inhibition increased intracellular
NAD content in NDUFS1 mutant human fibroblasts. Conversely, PARP-1 inhibitors but not NR
supplementation increased transcription of TFAM and mtDNA-encoded respiratory complexes
constitutively induced in mutant cells. Still, both NR and PARP-1 inhibitors restored mitochondrial
membrane potential and increased organelle content, as well as oxidative activity of NDUFS1-
deficient fibroblasts. Overall, data provide the first evidence that in human cells harbouring a
mitochondrial respiratory defect exposure to NR or PARP-1 inhibitors activate different signaling
pathways not invariantly prompted by NAD increases, but equally able to improve energetic
derangement. 

• like x 1

#143 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

Safety and Tolerability of the Nutritional Supplement, Nicotinamide Riboside, in Systolic Heart Failure Tian, Rong O'Brien, Kevin Douglas University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States

http://grantome.com/...R21-HL126209-01

• like x 3

#144 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

Pharmacological NAD-boosting Strategies Improve Mitochondrial Homeostasis in Human Complex I-mutant Fibroblasts.

3-18-2015

http://molpharm.aspe...097204.full.pdf

Abstract
Mitochondrial disorders are devastating genetic diseases for which efficacious therapies are still an
unmet need. Recent studies report that increased availability of intracellular NAD obtained by
inhibition of the NAD-consuming enzyme poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP)-1 or
supplementation with the NAD-precursor nicotinamide riboside (NR) ameliorates energetic
derangement and symptoms in mouse models of mitochondrial disorders. Whether these
pharmacological approaches also improve bioenergetics of human cells harbouring mitochondrial
defects is unknown. It is also unclear whether the same signaling cascade is prompted by PARP-1
inhibitors and NR supplementation to improve mitochondrial homeostasis. Here, we show that
human fibroblasts mutant for NDUFS1 subunit of respiratory Complex I have similar ATP, NAD and
mitochondrial content compared to control cells, but show reduced mitochondrial membrane
potential. Interestingly, mutant cells also show increased transcript levels of mtDNA but not nDNA
respiratory complex subunits, suggesting activation of a compensatory response. At variance with
prior work in mice, however, NR supplementation but not PARP-1 inhibition increased intracellular
NAD content in NDUFS1 mutant human fibroblasts. Conversely, PARP-1 inhibitors but not NR
supplementation increased transcription of TFAM and mtDNA-encoded respiratory complexes
constitutively induced in mutant cells. Still, both NR and PARP-1 inhibitors restored mitochondrial
membrane potential and increased organelle content, as well as oxidative activity of NDUFS1-
deficient fibroblasts. Overall, data provide the first evidence that in human cells harbouring a
mitochondrial respiratory defect exposure to NR or PARP-1 inhibitors activate different signaling
pathways not invariantly prompted by NAD increases, but equally able to improve energetic
derangement. 

Safety and Tolerability of the Nutritional Supplement, Nicotinamide Riboside, in Systolic Heart Failure Tian, Rong O'Brien, Kevin Douglas University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States

http://grantome.com/...R21-HL126209-01

Thank you Bryan, you are a wealth of information on NR, thanks for taking the time to find this information.

The second of the two links (Heart Failure Study) is especially relevant to my interest in NR.

The first link you posted is I think a positive one? but as I have no background in chemistry or biology I find it difficult to understand exactly what it means. It would be a great advantage to others like me if someone that understands these things could just do a short explanation in layman's terms what is being said?.....eg, is it positive or negative far as NR goes.

Thanks again Bryan for your efforts. :)

Edited by midas, 31 March 2015 - 06:56 PM.

#145 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

This is actually a couple of weeks old now but here's a good summary article/blog from Scientific American.    Nothing really new here if anyone has been keeping

up with all the news on NR but a good overview nonetheless.

http://blogs.scienti...-aging-nad-fad/

• like x 3

#146 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thank you Bryan, you are a wealth of information on NR, thanks for taking the time to find this information.

The second of the two links (Heart Failure Study) is especially relevant to my interest in NR.

The first link you posted is I think a positive one? but as I have no background in chemistry or biology I find it difficult to understand exactly what it means. It would be a great advantage to others like me if someone that understands these things could just do a short explanation in layman's terms what is being said?.....eg, is it positive or negative far as NR goes.

Thanks again Bryan for your efforts. :)

You've got it. . . There are other little islands of interest popping up as well, and I agree the heart studies are real interesting.

Here is a group writing about Nicotinamide Riboside & rosacea. They found me the other day and invited me to post something. 

This is the thread:

Greetings. I finally found some relief
  • like x 2

#147 jbgamut

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:13 PM

I have been reading the forms, doing a little research and taking my 750mg of daily NR since about mid January of this year. Two days before I received my 3 month supply of NR, I started taking NADH for the first time, once I took the NADH(2.5mg) I had great energy levels. So I received my NR and stopped the NADH but I didn't get that same energy boost as I did with the NADH.  After a few days I started taking the NADH and had that great energy again. I have been taking both together since. The results have been amazing and my life has changed. I am 43 years old, I have lost 10 pounds, I have the energy to exercise everyday now, I run for 15 min and do some weights every single day. In my right eye I have a condition called CSR which over the past five years had degenerated badly and had been refusing to improve until now. My vision is almost back to 20/20 in my bad eye, I can see it healing a little everyday without setback since I started NR, NADH and Arginine.

I have one question I would like to ask. If NADH gets taken up by the cell intact, it would then get shuttled to the Mitochondria and be converted to NAD+ by Complex I and would that not improve NAD+ supply?

#148 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:24 AM

http://www.fasebj.or...nt/717.19.short

Mechanism of Nicotinamide Riboside as an Aid to Weight Loss

Abstract

Caged mice represent an attractive model system with which to dissect the mechanistic basis for dietary and activity interventions because one can control for food amounts, dietary compositions, supplementation, and exercise in addition to genotype. Here we report that oral nicotinamide riboside (NR) supplementation increases weight loss with respect to nonsupplemented C57BL/6 mice. NR-dependent weight loss was much more effective than resistance to weight gain on high fat diet (HFD), which has been previously reported. To assess weight loss, mice were first fattened on HFD and then assigned to normal chow plus or minus NR. Supplemented and nonsupplemented mice were also randomized to 5 days/week forced exercise or not. NR and exercise promoted weight loss individually and in an additive fashion. To assess the mechanism by which NR promotes weight loss, we measured calorie intake, activity, calorie waisted, resting metabolic rate, body composition, glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, and a variety of biochemical and metabolomic parameters related to liver mitochondrial function. The data are consistent with a novel malabsorptive mechanism for weight loss that can be tracked by excreted biomarkers. NR analogs and proteomic analysis of mitochondrial post-translational modifications are being used to further characterize the mechanistic basis for NR activity in weight loss.

#149 follies

• 29 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:01 PM

The anti-agingfirewalls site has a new article on NAD+. The way I read it, he claims that the increase in NAD+ from NR is transient and and drops off after a week. Did I read that correctly?
  • Needs references x 1

#150 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

The anti-agingfirewalls site has a new article on NAD+. The way I read it, he claims that the increase in NAD+ from NR is transient and and drops off after a week. Did I read that correctly?

Who are you talking about Vince Giuliano and James Watson? Their last article concentrated on methyl depletion if your talking about "30 Major Factors that Control SIRT1 Expression, SIRT1 Activity, and SIRT1-mediated Aging. Part 3 of the series NAD+ an emerging framework for health and life extension".  Link http://www.anti-agin...life-extension/

Conclusion:  It is now clear that high concentrations nicotinamide are harmful to health.  HIgh doses of dietary niacin probably produce the same effects, despite the many benefits of high dose niacin.  With aging, nicotinamide levels already go up.  Adding more nicotinamide is probably not going to “cure” aging.  Adding a methyl donor to eliminate nicotinamide (such as betaine) may be a good thing.

follies, Its a long article with many sub-parts your going to have to focus us on a particular section. Here are the closest approximations I think your pointing to that I can pull from their text.

"However direct evidence  that NAD levels can be non-transiently enhanced in humans, either intracellular or extra-cellular, is thin to nonexistent.  No direct research shows this.  Likewise, evidence that human health or longevity benefits will result from continuous NAD precursor supplementats  is equally thin"

-and-

Caveat:  The above three paragraphs make a strong case that one major cause of aging is a decrease in the nuclear levels of NAD co-enzyme, required for so many nuclear proteins involving DNA repair, epigenetic gene regulation, and apoptosis.  Unfortunately, no one has yet pin-pointed the cause of this “nuclear NAD decline” or demonstrated  that it can be reversed for more than one week

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, nad booster, charles brenner, david sinclair, nicotinamide, riboside, nad, nicotinamide ribo, nad news, leonard guarente

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users