Antioxidants With Proven Ability to Get Into Mitochondria

antioxidants mitochondria

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

One of the things that stands out to me in looking back at antioxidant research since the 1970s is that it tends to focus on clinical results (e.g., cancer prevention) or on lifespan extension at a macro level.   Very few of these studies focus on mitochondrial absorption of the antioxidant.  That strikes me as very strange, because aerobic metabolism takes place on the inner mitochondrial membrane, and that is likely the source of most free radicals, as a byproduct of the electron transport chain.   If the free radical theory of aging has morphed into the mitochondrial free radical theory of aging, then shouldn't most of the research focus really be on preserving mitochondrial integrity from the effects of free radicals as you age or undergo a disease process?

One of the interesting recent developments is that antioxidants are getting liposomal and other mechanisms for delivery into deeper cellular compartments.   MitoQ comes to mind as a CoQ10 that has proven ability to get into mitochondrial membranes hundreds of times more effectively than normal CoQ10.

Does anyone have a list of antioxidants, along with information about forms of those antioxidants that are proven to have better mitochondrial absorption?   I would like to compile this into a list and do a master post maybe once every six months to update the key developments for each type of antioxidant.   It wouldn't hurt to have study results showing superior life extension or disease control for the mitochondrial form of the supplement, if that exists.

• like x 4
  • Informative x 1

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:11 AM

PPC (polyenylphosphatidylcholine) brand name "PhosChol" isn't exactly an antioxidant, but it seems to positively affect mitochondrial membrane function which should help them utilize standard antioxidants.  As the new liposomal antioxidants utilize phospholipid technology, perhaps taking a superior phospholipid supplement like PPC would be helpful?  

http://www.phoschol....oom/pdfs/26.pdf

The Full Monty on PPC here: http://phoschol.com/...annComplete.pdf

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:39 AM

PPC (polyenylphosphatidylcholine) brand name "PhosChol" isn't exactly an antioxidant, but it seems to positively affect mitochondrial membrane function which should help them utilize standard antioxidants.  As the new liposomal antioxidants utilize phospholipid technology, perhaps taking a superior phospholipid supplement like PPC would be helpful?  

http://www.phoschol....oom/pdfs/26.pdf

The Full Monty on PPC here: http://phoschol.com/...annComplete.pdf

Phospholipids is an area of interest for me and I still don't understand it.  But Phoschol appears to be just selling phosphatidylcholine and I'm not convinced that their technology adds value.

What I have seen better support for is glycerophosphocholine, which is the phosphate head of the phospholipid and the fatty acids are stripped off.   See a flyer for one such product here:

http://catalog.desig...Flyer-Final.pdf

There are good studies showing better absorption of this form into the brain, probably because it better crosses the blood brain barrier.   I'm not sure if there is better absorption of that form to mitochondria.  Does anyone know?

But in any case, who wants the Omega-6 fatty acids in the Phoschol product?   I don't!

• Agree x 1

#4 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

How about the "PPC" Polyunsaturated Phosphatidylcholine in the LEF HepatoPro formulation from LEF? How do you judge it compared to the other formulations. The 2nd pdf synesthesia quotes indicates:

"...various names have been used in literature. The terms such as "EPL - Special" (=up to 82 % PC), "EPL - Purissimum" (= 94% PC), polyenylphosphatidylcholine (PPC) or polyunsaturated phosphatidylcholine (PUPC), or polyunsaturated lecithin (PUL) (=76 % PC or 94% PC) designate the same group of preparations with a very high content of phosphatidylcholine molecules with predominantly polyunsaturated fatty acids.
According to the knowledge on the human membrane structurs and functions (chapter 1 and 3) it is undisputed that phosphatidylcholine is a very important active ingredient. For this reason the soya-lecithins are standardised to the content of phosphatidylcholine..."

#5 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

How about the "PPC" Polyunsaturated Phosphatidylcholine in the LEF HepatoPro formulation from LEF? How do you judge it compared to the other formulations. The 2nd pdf synesthesia quotes indicates:

"...various names have been used in literature. The terms such as "EPL - Special" (=up to 82 % PC), "EPL - Purissimum" (= 94% PC), polyenylphosphatidylcholine (PPC) or polyunsaturated phosphatidylcholine (PUPC), or polyunsaturated lecithin (PUL) (=76 % PC or 94% PC) designate the same group of preparations with a very high content of phosphatidylcholine molecules with predominantly polyunsaturated fatty acids.
According to the knowledge on the human membrane structurs and functions (chapter 1 and 3) it is undisputed that phosphatidylcholine is a very important active ingredient. For this reason the soya-lecithins are standardised to the content of phosphatidylcholine..."

From what I can tell, phosphatidylcholine breaks down in digestion and then the components can be used to assemble a phospholipid if needed.   As proof of that, consider this chart showing a sharp rise in Choline levels after ingesting phosphatidylcholine:

https://www.drugs.co...oncentrate.html

So it might be wrong to think of an intact phospholipid being eaten and directly incorporated into a cell membrane.

I am not a biochemist and I may get some detail wrong here, but the cell membrane is made of up phospholipids that have a charge on the water loving side, and two fatty acid tails that then orient into the fatty acid cell membrane.    Please look at the diagram of glycerophosphocholine in the left column in the middle of the page in the original link I posted:

http://catalog.desig...Flyer-Final.pdf

So glycerophosphocholine is the cell membrane phospholipid but with the two fatty acid tails removed.   The body then breaks this down to components and can use them to reassemble cell membranes.  

But glycerophosphocholine has two advantages over taking phosphatidylcholine:

1) When you eat phosphatidylcholine, you are being forced to eat omega-6 fatty acids.   That all breaks down in digestion and the omega-6 will get incorporated into membranes wherever.   When the body re-assembles cell membranes from the glycerophosphocholine, it can substitute saturated fats, monounsaturated, or whatever kind of fat is appropriate to where the membrane is located.   I don't see a reason to eat more omega-6 fat than I have to.

2) glycerophosphocholine will pass through the blood brain barrier because it carries a neutral charge, whereas phosphatidylcholine apparently does not cross the blood brain barrier.

Since phospholipid therapy often targets neurons and brain tissue, I think crossing the blood brain barrier is a key point.

Bringing this back to my original question:   I'm not sure anyone has shown any evidence that any form of phospholipid better incorporates into mitochondrial membranes, outside the brain?

Edited by pone11, 11 January 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Don't know that the total Omega-6 payload would be all that great with PPC.  A small percentage of the average overall dietary intake?

The laundry list of benefits (in the Full Monty link) is impressive.  It appears to have much in common with fish oil, perhaps without the immunosuppressive and instability issues associated with fish oil?  

The difference between PPC and phosphatidylcholine is the DLPC (dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine) content.  I believe PhosChol and Life Extensions HepatoPro is the same stuff.  Only one company in Germany (Nattermann) that refines it down this far (to PPC).  

If you google around on DLPC it appears to be absorbed intact and have an affect other than simply bumping choline higher.

Edited by synesthesia, 11 January 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#7 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Don't know that the total Omega-6 payload would be all that great with PPC.  A small percentage of the average overall dietary intake?

The laundry list of benefits (in the Full Monty link) is impressive.  It appears to have much in common with fish oil, perhaps without the immunosuppressive and instability issues associated with fish oil?  

The difference between PPC and phosphatidylcholine is the DLPC (dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine) content.  I believe PhosChol and Life Extensions HepatoPro is the same stuff.  Only one company in Germany (Nattermann) that refines it down this far (to PPC).  

If you google around on DLPC it appears to be absorbed intact and have an affect other than simply bumping choline higher.

If Choline is rising, then by definition the phospholipid was taken apart by digestion.   Perhaps it gets reassembled.   Look at the diagram I provided.  The phospholipid is made on the water-loving side with a choline, a phosphate, and a glycerol.     That's where the choline is coming from.   And notice the chart I provided uses the PhosChol product, so there is no question that PhosChol breaks up in digestion.   I am NOT saying it does not re-assemble to create phospholipids again.

dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine sounds like it has two linoleic acids as the fatty tails?   That's Omega-6 fat.  Their push is that it increases cell fluidity.   Well, of course it does.  That is the whole point of Omega-3 and Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats:   they are very fluid because of so many double bonds, but this is what also makes them chemically unstable.   

I think at some point their discussion has to be seen for what it is: an advocacy for eating Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats.   And the benefits that accrue to Omega-6 would then accrue to their phospholipid that is made from Omega-6.   I think that's a whole separate thread and let's not chase that here, please.    If you want to start a separate thread on the benefits of more Omega-6 fats in diet, or the benefits of eating phospholipids that are made up of Omega-6 fats, that's a fair topic, but it will be incredibly controversial.  People will pull out clinician studies showing reduced heart disease risk.  Biochemists will pull out studies showing increased cancer risks, incredible instability, and tremendous amounts of oxidative stress damage to polyunsaturated fats as we age.   Having been in these arguments so many times, I don't want this thread to become that argument.

I would prefer to not get Omega-6 fats in the phospholipid. I would prefer the glycero form because I want the choline and other phospholipid components to better absorb into brain tissue.   And I prefer the body to sort out from the fat in my diet how it will attach fatty acids into the phospholipid.   But that's just me, and people can make their own decisions.

Now, back to mitochondrial supplements....

Edited by pone11, 11 January 2015 - 11:09 AM.

• Agree x 1

#8 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

MitoQ. MitoTEMPO. C60. SKQ1. PPQ. Tiron.

• Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Tocotrienols

#10 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:22 PM

MitoQ. MitoTEMPO. C60. SKQ1. PPQ. Tiron.

Those are some good ones.  Any chance we could get you to give a brief description of each and summary of any research you know about that is key?

Also, where are they commercially available?

Edited by pone11, 12 January 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#11 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:32 AM

MitoQ and c60 are easy to come by. IMO MitoQ has the best toxicology and a lot of very good research relative to supps in general.

c60 is also something interesting if you track down the fullerene literature. Not something that came out of the blue with Baati as I first feared.

Tiron, MitoTEMPO, PPQ I'm not very knowledgable about.

SKQ1 is looking good and I would be delighted to buy it. Looks like it is taking some time to get it out of Russia sadly.

It might not be as good as we believe, maybe it will be sub-par to c60.

My disclaimer to mito-antioxidants is that I recall research showing that some animals live fine, even longer completely without them.

Mitochondrial bioenergetics is a far too complicated subject for me to grasp though.

Using MitoQ and c60 myself.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

Here are a couple mitochondrial antioxidants that haven't been mentioned.  The SS Peptides have been the subject of a lot of papers.

XJB-5-131

Szeto-Schiller Peptides (SS-31, Bendavia)

• Informative x 1

#13 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Here are a couple mitochondrial antioxidants that haven't been mentioned.  The SS Peptides have been the subject of a lot of papers.

Hey niner, any thoughts on this study? A bit over my head.

Therapeutic Targeting of the Mitochondria Initiates Excessive Superoxide Production and Mitochondrial Depolarization Causing Decreased mtDNA Integrity

"In this study we demonstrated that the mitochondria-targeted redox-sensitive therapeutics mitoTEMPOL, mitoquinone and mitochromanol-acetate impair mitochondrial homeostasis through decreased mtDNA integrity and oxidative respiration in triple negative breast (MDA-MB-231) and small cell lung (H23) cancer cell lines. These MTAs likely exploit anti-cancer activity through mechanisms involving mitochondrial membrane depolarization and/or surges in mitochondrial superoxide levels. Although these compounds were initially identified as antioxidants [2], this study has shown that they can function as pro-oxidants to varying degrees"    

#14 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:20 AM

I'm even more interested in SKQR1. It is a variant of SKQ1 that is much more absorbable, I think. In many tests it was much more potent than SKQ1. If I were to run a lifespan test on an anti-oxidant, SKQR1 would be the one.

However, right now, I'm equally interested in stimulating the pre-existing systems in cells to produce endogenous antioxidants. One good way of doing this is activating the NRF2 pathway which can then up regulate many different natural antioxidants as well as inducing the SIRT family of proteins. Good candidates for this are R-Alpha Lipoic Acid, COQ10, tyrosol, hydroxytyrosol, sulforaphane, and others.

#15 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

NecroX is Another antioxidant for mitos it seems. Never Heard of it before.

Hey niner, any thoughts on this study? A bit over my head.

Therapeutic Targeting of the Mitochondria Initiates Excessive Superoxide Production and Mitochondrial Depolarization Causing Decreased mtDNA Integrity

"In this study we demonstrated that the mitochondria-targeted redox-sensitive therapeutics mitoTEMPOL, mitoquinone and mitochromanol-acetate impair mitochondrial homeostasis through decreased mtDNA integrity and oxidative respiration in triple negative breast (MDA-MB-231) and small cell lung (H23) cancer cell lines. These MTAs likely exploit anti-cancer activity through mechanisms involving mitochondrial membrane depolarization and/or surges in mitochondrial superoxide levels. Although these compounds were initially identified as antioxidants [2], this study has shown that they can function as pro-oxidants to varying degrees"    

Cancer cells have impaired quality control, I have seen several other studies that show they are damaged by mito targeted antioxidants. Hopefully normal cells will not have their mito DNA damaged the same way.

#16 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:21 AM

Tempol

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0108889
"Background

Mitochondrial dysfunction is a crucial mechanism by which cisplatin, a potent chemotherapeutic agent, causes nephrotoxicity where mitochondrial electron transport complexes are shifted mostly toward imbalanced reactive oxygen species versus energy production. In the present study, the protective role of tempol, a membrane-permeable superoxide dismutase mimetic agent, was evaluated on mitochondrial dysfunction and the subsequent damage induced by cisplatin nephrotoxicity in mice.

Methods and Findings

Nephrotoxicity was assessed 72 h after a single i.p. injection of cisplatin (25 mg/kg) with or without oral administration of tempol (100 mg/kg/day). Serum creatinine and urea as well as glucosuria and proteinuria were evaluated. Both kidneys were isolated for estimation of oxidative stress markers, adenosine triphosphate (ATP) content and caspase-3 activity. Moreover, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation capacity, complexes I–IV activities and mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase (mNOS) protein expression were measured along with histological examinations of renal tubular damage and mitochondrial ultrastructural changes. Tempol was effective against cisplatin-induced elevation of serum creatinine and urea as well as glucosuria and proteinuria. Moreover, pretreatment with tempol notably inhibited cisplatin-induced oxidative stress and disruption of mitochondrial function by restoring mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, complexes I and III activities, mNOS protein expression and ATP content. Tempol also provided significant protection against apoptosis, tubular damage and mitochondrial ultrastructural changes. Interestingly, tempol did not interfere with the cytotoxic effect of cisplatin against the growth of solid Ehrlich carcinoma.

Conclusion

This study highlights the potential role of tempol in inhibiting cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity without affecting its antitumor activity via amelioration of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction."

Source: https://irc.bio/prod...l-bulked/ref/2/

Edited by zorba990, 08 February 2017 - 03:24 AM.

#17 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:04 AM

Tempol

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0108889
"Background

Mitochondrial dysfunction is a crucial mechanism by which cisplatin, a potent chemotherapeutic agent, causes nephrotoxicity where mitochondrial electron transport complexes are shifted mostly toward imbalanced reactive oxygen species versus energy production. In the present study, the protective role of tempol, a membrane-permeable superoxide dismutase mimetic agent, was evaluated on mitochondrial dysfunction and the subsequent damage induced by cisplatin nephrotoxicity in mice.

Methods and Findings

Nephrotoxicity was assessed 72 h after a single i.p. injection of cisplatin (25 mg/kg) with or without oral administration of tempol (100 mg/kg/day). Serum creatinine and urea as well as glucosuria and proteinuria were evaluated. Both kidneys were isolated for estimation of oxidative stress markers, adenosine triphosphate (ATP) content and caspase-3 activity. Moreover, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation capacity, complexes I–IV activities and mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase (mNOS) protein expression were measured along with histological examinations of renal tubular damage and mitochondrial ultrastructural changes. Tempol was effective against cisplatin-induced elevation of serum creatinine and urea as well as glucosuria and proteinuria. Moreover, pretreatment with tempol notably inhibited cisplatin-induced oxidative stress and disruption of mitochondrial function by restoring mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, complexes I and III activities, mNOS protein expression and ATP content. Tempol also provided significant protection against apoptosis, tubular damage and mitochondrial ultrastructural changes. Interestingly, tempol did not interfere with the cytotoxic effect of cisplatin against the growth of solid Ehrlich carcinoma.

Conclusion

This study highlights the potential role of tempol in inhibiting cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity without affecting its antitumor activity via amelioration of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction."

Source: https://irc.bio/prod...l-bulked/ref/2/

If Tempol is equal to MitoQ or SkQ1 it's going to be expensive to match that dosage. I typically take 20mg/mitoq on a big day (that does a lot for endurance and good energizing feelings). I can't imagine what 100mg/kg and day would feel like.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#18 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:11 AM

Rhodiola is one of my favorite supplements for many, many reasons:

Salidroside stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and protects against H₂O₂-induced endothelial dysfunction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24868319

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#19 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

If Choline is rising, then by definition the phospholipid was taken apart by digestion.   Perhaps it gets reassembled.   Look at the diagram I provided.  The phospholipid is made on the water-loving side with a choline, a phosphate, and a glycerol.     That's where the choline is coming from.   And notice the chart I provided uses the PhosChol product, so there is no question that PhosChol breaks up in digestion.   I am NOT saying it does not re-assemble to create phospholipids again.

dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine sounds like it has two linoleic acids as the fatty tails?   That's Omega-6 fat.  Their push is that it increases cell fluidity.   Well, of course it does.  That is the whole point of Omega-3 and Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats:   they are very fluid because of so many double bonds, but this is what also makes them chemically unstable.   

I think at some point their discussion has to be seen for what it is: an advocacy for eating Omega-6 polyunsaturated fats.   And the benefits that accrue to Omega-6 would then accrue to their phospholipid that is made from Omega-6.   I think that's a whole separate thread and let's not chase that here, please.    If you want to start a separate thread on the benefits of more Omega-6 fats in diet, or the benefits of eating phospholipids that are made up of Omega-6 fats, that's a fair topic, but it will be incredibly controversial.  People will pull out clinician studies showing reduced heart disease risk.  Biochemists will pull out studies showing increased cancer risks, incredible instability, and tremendous amounts of oxidative stress damage to polyunsaturated fats as we age.   Having been in these arguments so many times, I don't want this thread to become that argument.

I would prefer to not get Omega-6 fats in the phospholipid. I would prefer the glycero form because I want the choline and other phospholipid components to better absorb into brain tissue.   And I prefer the body to sort out from the fat in my diet how it will attach fatty acids into the phospholipid.   But that's just me, and people can make their own decisions.

Now, back to mitochondrial supplements....

Yes, back to the mitochodria!  If PPC is broken down during digestion to simple choline and/or unstable polyunsaturated fat, this would not explain how it could be so effective in preventing alcoholic liver disease.  In these two mitochondrial specific studies comparing the active component in PPC (DLPC) with choline, it is shown the difference is quite dramatic.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11866479

Dilinoleoylphosphatidylcholine is responsible for the beneficial effects of polyenylphosphatidylcholine on ethanol-induced mitochondrial injury in rats.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/4018729

Choline fails to prevent liver fibrosis in ethanol-fed baboons but causes toxicity

Thus we see PPC must, by some mechanism not only become incorporated into mitochondrial membranes, but resist the highly oxidative stress of alcohol metabolism without being degraded by this process.  

We've seen alcohol and fish oil to be a highly toxic mix, due to the highly unstable polyunsaturated (fish oil) becoming rancid through alcohol oxidation.  

http://www.longecity...ohol-cirrhosis/

Yet somehow the polyunsaturated component of PPC not only becomes incorporated into mitochondrial membranes, but also appears to resist the oxidative stress of alcohol metabolism.  

Bottom Line: It would appear PPC may well be the ideal mitochondrial membrane therapeutic, through it's ability to incorporate effectively into membranes, and apparent bullet proof stability within the highly oxidative mitochondrial environment.  

Edited by synesthesia, 08 February 2017 - 06:47 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#20 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Necro X seems to be mostly reserached in Korea

Korean J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016 May;20(3):305-14. doi: 10.4196/kjpp.2016.20.3.305. Epub 2016 Apr 26.
NecroX-5 exerts anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic effects via modulation of the TNFα/Dcn/TGFβ1/Smad2 pathway in hypoxia/reoxygenation-treated rat hearts.
Abstract

Inflammatory and fibrotic responses are accelerated during the reperfusion period, and excessive fibrosis and inflammation contribute to cardiac malfunction. NecroX compounds have been shown to protect the liver and heart from ischemia-reperfusion injury. The aim of this study was to further define the role and mechanism of action of NecroX-5 in regulating infl ammation and fi brosis responses in a model of hypoxia/reoxygenation (HR). We utilized HR-treated rat hearts and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-treated H9C2 culture cells in the presence or absence of NecroX-5 (10 µmol/L) treatment as experimental models. Addition of NecroX-5 signifi cantly increased decorin (Dcn) expression levels in HR-treated hearts. In contrast, expression of transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGFβ1) and Smad2 phosphorylation (pSmad2) was strongly attenuated in NecroX-5-treated hearts. In addition, signifi cantly increased production of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα), TGFβ1, and pSmad2, and markedly decreased Dcn expression levels, were observed in LPS-stimulated H9C2 cells. Interestingly, NecroX-5 supplementation effectively attenuated the increased expression levels of TNFα, TGFβ1, and pSmad2, as well as the decreased expression of Dcn. Thus, our data demonstrate potential antiinflammatory and anti-fibrotic effects of NecroX-5 against cardiac HR injuries via modulation of the TNFα/Dcn/TGFβ1/Smad2 pathway.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/27162485

Korean J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016 Mar;20(2):201-11. doi: 10.4196/kjpp.2016.20.2.201. Epub 2016 Feb 23.
NecroX-5 protects mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation capacity and preserves PGC1α expression levels during hypoxia/reoxygenation injury.
Abstract

Although the antioxidant and cardioprotective effects of NecroX-5 on various in vitro and in vivo models have been demonstrated, the action of this compound on the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation system remains unclear. Here we verify the role of NecroX-5 in protecting mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation capacity during hypoxia-reoxygenation (HR). Necrox-5 treatment (10 µM) and non-treatment were employed on isolated rat hearts during hypoxia/reoxygenation treatment using an ex vivo Langendorff system. Proteomic analysis was performed using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) and non-labeling peptide count protein quantification. Real-time PCR, western blot, citrate synthases and mitochondrial complex activity assays were then performed to assess heart function. Treatment with NecroX-5 during hypoxia significantly preserved electron transport chain proteins involved in oxidative phosphorylation and metabolic functions. NecroX-5 also improved mitochondrial complex I, II, and V function. Additionally, markedly higher peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1α (PGC1α) expression levels were observed in NecroX-5-treated rat hearts. These novel results provide convincing evidence for the role of NecroX-5 in protecting mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation capacity and in preserving PGC1α during cardiac HR injuries.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26937217

Thread on Cerium Oxide with some abstracts from 2015, posted by me.

http://www.longecity...gy-anti-cancer/

IAC is a interesting antioxidant that doubled lifespan of some smaller animals

Eur J Pharmacol. 2014 Apr 15;729:37-44. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2014.01.071. Epub 2014 Feb 12.
Anti-diabetic properties of a non-conventional radical scavenger, as compared to pioglitazone and exendin-4, in streptozotocin-nicotinamide diabetic mice. Abstract

We previously showed that the innovative radical scavenger bis(1-hydroxy-2,2,6,6-tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl)-decandioate (IAC) improves metabolic dysfunctions in a diabetic mouse model. Here, we compared the in vivo effects of IAC with those of the anti-diabetic drugs pioglitazone (PIO) and exendin-4 (EX-4). Diabetes was induced in C57Bl/6J mice by streptozotocin and nicotinamide administration. Paralleled by healthy controls, diabetic animals (D) were randomly assigned to four groups and treated daily for 7 consecutive weeks: D+saline, ip; D+IAC 30mg/kgb.w., ip; D+PIO 10mg/kgb.w. per os; and D+EX-4, 50μg/kgb.w., ip. Our results show that IAC reduced basal hyperglycemia and improved glucose tolerance better than PIO or EX-4. Interestingly, in the heart of diabetic mice, IAC treatment normalized the increased levels of GSSG/GSH ratio and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, indexes of oxidative stress and damage, while PIO and EX-4 were less effective. As supported by immunohistochemical data, IAC markedly prevented diabetic islet β-cell reduced density, differently from PIO and EX-4 that had only a moderate effect. Interestingly, in diabetic animals, IAC treatment enhanced the activity of pancreatic-duodenal homeobox 1 (PDX-1), an oxidative stress-sensitive transcription factor essential for maintenance of β-cell function, as evaluated by quantification of its nuclear immunostaining, whereas PIO or EX-4 treatments did not. Altogether, these observations support the improvement of the general redox balance and β-cell function induced by IAC treatment in streptozotocin-nicotinamide diabetic mice. Furthermore, in this model, the correction of diabetic alterations was better obtained by treatment with the radical scavenger IAC than with pioglitazone or exendin-4.

DEVELOPMENT OF MICROPARTICLES FOR ORAL ADMINISTRATION OF THE NON-CONVENTIONAL RADICAL SCAVENGER IAC AND TESTING IN AN INFLAMMATORY RAT MODEL.

International journal of pharmaceutics. ():, Aug 2016

Nadia Passerini; Beatrice Albertini; and 9 more

DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2016.08.024

View more

Abstract UNASSIGNED

The bis (1-hydroxy-2,2,6,6-tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl)-decandioate (IAC), is an innovative non- radical scavenger used with success in numerous disease models such as inflammation, neurological disorders, hepatitis and diabetes. The pharmacological treatments have been performed by the intraperitoneal route of administration, representing to date, the main limit for the drug use. The aim of this study was to develop a delivery system that allows the oral administration of IAC while maintaining its therapeutic efficacy. Solid Lipid Microparticles (SLMs) containing a theoretical 18% (w/w) of IAC have been produced by the spray congealing technology; three formulations have been tested (A, B and C) using different low melting point carriers (stearic acid, Compritol(®) HD5ATO and carnauba wax) alone or in combination. All IAC loaded SLMs exhibited a spherical shape, encapsulation efficiency higher than 94% and particle size suitable for the oral route. Administered per os at different dosages in an inflammation rat model, all SLMs demonstrated their efficacy in reducing oedema and alleviating pain, compared to the gold standards Indomethacin and Paracetamol. These results suggested that the SLMs are an efficacious delivery system for the oral administration of IAC, potentially useful for the treatment of others diseases related to an over production of free radicals.

http://insights.ovid...non/13/00009602

#21 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

PEG-HCCs are carbon clusters that function as effective antioxidants. The team behind PEG-HCC's are taking the FDA approved road and they seem to have effective PR management so this might be used in US hospitals pretty soon for TBI and such.

Preferential uptake of antioxidant carbon nanoparticles by T lymphocytes for immunomodulation

Received: 15 July 2016 Accepted: 31 August 2016 Published online: 22 September 2016
Abstract

Autoimmune diseases mediated by a type of white blood cell—T lymphocytes—are currently treated using mainly broad-spectrum immunosuppressants that can lead to adverse side effects. Antioxidants represent an alternative approach for therapy of autoimmune disorders; however, dietary antioxidants are insufficient to play this role. Antioxidant carbon nanoparticles scavenge reactive oxygen species (ROS) with higher efficacy than dietary and endogenous antioxidants. Furthermore, the affinity of carbon nanoparticles for specific cell types represents an emerging tactic for cell-targeted therapy. Here, we report that nontoxic poly(ethylene glycol)-functionalized hydrophilic carbon clusters (PEG-HCCs), known scavengers of the ROS superoxide (O2•−) and hydroxyl radical, are preferentially internalized by T lymphocytes over other splenic immune cells. We use this selectivity to inhibit T cell activation without affecting major functions of macrophages, antigen-presenting cells that are crucial for T cell activation. We also demonstrate the in vivo effectiveness of PEG-HCCs in reducing T lymphocyte-mediated inflammation in delayed-type hypersensitivity and in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, an animal model of multiple sclerosis. Our results suggest the preferential targeting of PEG-HCCs to T lymphocytes as a novel approach for T lymphocyte immunomodulation in autoimmune diseases without affecting other immune cells.

http://www.nature.co...icles/srep33808

-

-

Nano-antioxidants prove their potential Rice-led study shows how particles quench damaging superoxides 

Injectable nanoparticles that could protect an injured person from further damage due to oxidative stress have proven to be astoundingly effective in tests to study their mechanism.

Scientists at Rice University, Baylor College of Medicine and the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School designed methods to validate their 2012 discovery that combined polyethylene glycol-hydrophilic carbon clusters — known as PEG-HCCs — could quickly stem the process of overoxidation that can cause damage in the minutes and hours after an injury.

0216_HCC-1-RN.jpg

A polyethylene glycol-hydrophilic carbon cluster developed at Rice University has the potential to quench the overexpression of damaging superoxides through the catalytic turnover of reactive oxygen species that can harm biological functions. Illustration by Errol Samuel

The tests revealed a single nanoparticle can quickly catalyze the neutralization of thousands of damaging reactive oxygen species molecules that are overexpressed by the body’s cells in response to an injury and turn the molecules into oxygen. These reactive species can damage cells and cause mutations, but PEG-HCCs appear to have an enormous capacity to turn them into less-reactive substances.

The researchers hope an injection of PEG-HCCs as soon as possible after an injury, such as traumatic brain injury or stroke, can mitigate further brain damage by restoring normal oxygen levels to the brain’s sensitive circulatory system.

The results were reported today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“Effectively, they bring the level of reactive oxygen species back to normal almost instantly,” said Rice chemist James Tour. “This could be a useful tool for emergency responders who need to quickly stabilize an accident or heart attack victim or to treat soldiers in the field of battle.” Tour led the new study with neurologist Thomas Kent of Baylor College of Medicine and biochemist Ah-Lim Tsai of UTHealth.

PEG-HCCs are about 3 nanometers wide and 30 to 40 nanometers long and contain from 2,000 to 5,000 carbon atoms. In tests, an individual PEG-HCC nanoparticle can catalyze the conversion of 20,000 to a million reactive oxygen species molecules per second into molecular oxygen, which damaged tissues need, and hydrogen peroxide while quenching reactive intermediates.

Tour and Kent led the earlier research that determined an infusion of nontoxic PEG-HCCs may quickly stabilize blood flow in the brain and protect against reactive oxygen species molecules overexpressed by cells during a medical trauma, especially when accompanied by massive blood loss.

Their research targeted traumatic brain injuries, after which cells release an excessive amount of the reactive oxygen species known as a superoxide into the blood. These toxic free radicals are molecules with one unpaired electron that the immune system uses to kill invading microorganisms. In small concentrations, they contribute to a cell’s normal energy regulation. Generally, they are kept in check by superoxide dismutase, an enzyme that neutralizes superoxides.

But even mild traumas can release enough superoxides to overwhelm the brain’s natural defenses. In turn, superoxides can form such other reactive oxygen species as peroxynitrite that cause further damage.

“The current research shows PEG-HCCs work catalytically, extremely rapidly and with an enormous capacity to neutralize thousands upon thousands of the deleterious molecules, particularly superoxide and hydroxyl radicals that destroy normal tissue when left unregulated,” Tour said.

“This will be important not only in traumatic brain injury and stroke treatment, but for many acute injuries of any organ or tissue and in medical procedures such as organ transplantation,” he said. “Anytime tissue is stressed and thereby oxygen-starved, superoxide can form to further attack the surrounding good tissue.”

The researchers used an electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy technique that gets direct structure and rate information for superoxide radicals by counting unpaired electrons in the presence or absence of PEG-HCC antioxidants. Another test with an oxygen-sensing electrode, peroxidase and a red dye confirmed the particles’ ability to catalyze superoxide conversion.

“In sharp contrast to the well-known superoxide dismutase, PEG-HCC is not a protein and does not have metal to serve the catalytic role,” Tsai said. “The efficient catalytic turnover could be due to its more ‘planar,’ highly conjugated carbon core.”

The tests showed the number of superoxides consumed far surpassed the number of possible PEG-HCC bonding sites. The researchers found the particles have no effect on important nitric oxides that keep blood vessels dilated and aid neurotransmission and cell protection, nor was the efficiency sensitive to pH changes.

“PEG-HCCs have enormous capacity to convert superoxide to oxygen and the ability to quench reactive intermediates while not affecting nitric oxide molecules that are beneficial in normal amounts,” Kent said. “So they hold a unique place in our potential armamentarium against a range of diseases that involve loss of oxygen and damaging levels of free radicals.”

The study also determined PEG-HCCs remain stable, as batches up to 3 months old performed as good as new.

Graduate student Errol Samuel and alumna Daniela Marcano, both of Rice, and Vladimir Berka, a senior research scientist at UTHealth, are lead authors of the study. Co-authors are Rice alumnus Austin Potter; alumnus Brittany Bitner and associate professor Robia Pautler of Baylor College of Medicine; instructor Gang Wu of UTHealth and Roderic Fabian of Baylor College of Medicine and the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

Kent is a professor of neurology and director of stroke research and education at Baylor College of Medicine and chief of neurology and a member of the Center for Translational Research on Inflammatory Diseases at the DeBakey Center. Tour is the T.T. and W.F. Chao Chair in Chemistry as well as a professor of materials science and nanoengineering and of computer science and a member of Rice’s Richard E. Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology. Tsai is a professor of hematology at UTHealth and adjunct professor of biochemistry and cell biology at Rice.

The Mission Connect Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Consortium from the Department of Defense and the National Institutes of Health, the Alliance for NanoHealth and UTHealth supported the research.

- See more at: http://news.rice.edu...h.xyxgYjgC.dpuf

http://news.rice.edu...ir-potential-2/

#22 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:54 AM

Here are a couple mitochondrial antioxidants that haven't been mentioned. The SS Peptides have been the subject of a lot of papers.

XJB-5-131

SS-31 looks very promising!!!!

#23 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

This might be noteworthy to mention here.

http://joshmitteldor...d-mitochondria/

#24 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Lets not forget hydrogen which is a versatile and beneficial antioxidant. It too can penetrate into the mitochondria. There has not been as much research on it but those who use it have found benefits, including myself.

#25 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

XJB-5-131

Updating this thread two years later.   There have been reports that MitoQ and SkQ1 may impair mitochondrial energetics:

Fink BD, Herlein JA, Yorek MA, Fenner AM, Kerns RJ, Sivitz WI: Bioenergetic effects of mitochondrial-targeted coenzyme Q analogs in endothelial cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2012, 342:709–719.

Reily C, Mitchell T, Chacko BK, Benavides G, Murphy MP, Darley-Usmar V: Mitochondrially targeted compounds and their impact on cellular bioenergetics. Redox Biol 2013, 1:86–93. 193. Gane EJ, Weilert F, Orr DW, Keogh GF, Gibso

Apparently SS-31 does the opposite and improves mitochondrial energetics.    SS-31 is in phase 2 trials now for various diseases.

• Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 1

#26 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:43 AM

Here are a couple mitochondrial antioxidants that haven't been mentioned. The SS Peptides have been the subject of a lot of papers.

XJB-5-131

Updating this thread two years later. There have been reports that MitoQ and SkQ1 may impair mitochondrial energetics:

Fink BD, Herlein JA, Yorek MA, Fenner AM, Kerns RJ, Sivitz WI: Bioenergetic effects of mitochondrial-targeted coenzyme Q analogs in endothelial cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2012, 342:709–719.

Reily C, Mitchell T, Chacko BK, Benavides G, Murphy MP, Darley-Usmar V: Mitochondrially targeted compounds and their impact on cellular bioenergetics. Redox Biol 2013, 1:86–93. 193. Gane EJ, Weilert F, Orr DW, Keogh GF, Gibso

Apparently SS-31 does the opposite and improves mitochondrial energetics. SS-31 is in phase 2 trials now for various diseases.

Anazing, thanks for the update!!!!
  • unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 Oakman

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

This might be noteworthy to mention here.

http://joshmitteldor...d-mitochondria/

Noteworthy, indeed!

"In this review, we describe the serendipitous discovery of a novel class of compounds that selectively target cardiolipin on the inner mitochondrial membrane to optimize efficiency of the ETC and thereby restore cellular bioenergetics in aging and diverse disease models, without any effect on the normal healthy organism."

"The numerous studies demonstrating the effectiveness of these peptides in remarkably diverse animal disease models, and in famine or feast, support the hypothesis that these peptides act by promoting mitochondrial plasticity. With insufficient substrates and/or O2during famine, these peptides can increase mitochondrial respiration and ATP production, and prolong survival."

The description of what these molecules can do, and their discovery, is nothing short of phenomenal IMO! I mean really, compounds that can ameliorate dysfunction and damage in a range of targeted diseased tissues through increased mitochondrial plasticity, all the while NOT affecting healthy tissue?

Compounds like this could relegate NR to a general tonic compared to these cellular energy rejuvenators. Hopefully they'll be available soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antioxidants, mitochondria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users