• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Carbon 60 Hydrated Fullerenes and Alzheimer's

c60 carbon60 c60 hydrated fullerenes alzheimers dopamine agonist neurodegenerative disorder neuroprotection amyloid-β

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Derzko

• 137 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

Alzheimer's and Carbon 60 Hydrated Fullerenes

Neuroprotective Effects of Hydrated Fullerene C60: Cortical and Hippocampal EEG Interplay in an Amyloid-Infused Rat Model of Alzheimer's Disease.
J Alzheimers Dis. 2015 Jan 7. [Epub ahead of print]
Vorobyov V1, Kaptsov V1, Gordon R1, Makarova E2, Podolski I2, Sengpiel F3.

Abstract

We studied the effects of fullerene C60 nanoparticles, namely hydrated fullerene C60 (C60HyFn), on interrelations between EEG frequency spectra from the frontal cortex and the dorsal hippocampus (CA1) on an amyloid-β (Aβ) rat model of Alzheimer's disease (AD). Infusion of Aβ1-42 protein (1.5 μl) into the CA1 region two weeks before EEG testing diminished hippocampal theta (3.8-8.4 Hz) predominance and eliminated cortical beta (12.9-26.2 Hz) predominance observed in baseline EEG of rats infused with saline (control) or with C60HyFn alone. In contrast, these Aβ1-42 effects were abolished in rats pretreated with C60HyFn, 30 min apart. Dopaminergic mediation in AD has been shown to be involved in neuronal plasticity and Aβ transformation in different ways. To clarify its role in the cortex-hippocampus interplay in the Aβ model of AD, we used peripheral injection of a dopamine agonist, apomorphine (APO), at a low dose (0.1 mg/kg). In rats infused with C60HyFn or Aβ1-42 alone, APO attenuated the cortical beta predominance, with immediate and delayed phases evident in the Aβ1-42-rats. Pretreatment with C60HyFn diminished the APO effect in the Aβ1-42-treated rats. Thus, we show that intrahippocampal injection of Aβ1-42 dramatically disrupts cortical versus hippocampal EEG interrelations and that pretreatment with the fullerene eliminates this abnormality. We suggest that some effects of C60HyFn may be mediated through presynaptic dopamine receptors and that water-soluble C60 fullerenes have a neuroprotective potential.

KEYWORDS:

Amyloid-β; brain oscillation; dopamine agonist; neurodegenerative disorder; neuroprotection
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25589720
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

This sounds promising, but what we really need to determine is the connection between chronic c60oo usage and tauopathy (tau protein dysfunction) over time. Tauopathy is much more strongly associated with Alzheimer's disease than beta amyloid accretion, and c60oo is readily available (and may or may not be metabolically equivalent to C60HyFn). But beggars can't be choosers, so I'm still pleased to see this news which at least suggests that c60oo will combat dementia.

• WellResearched x 1
  • like x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

Where can we get the above?

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Where can we get the above?

I looked for it and found only one source (ebay) for around $3000/mg. Compare that to commercial sources of C60/EVOO at $0.70 per milligram of C60, and the latter seems like the better deal. Especially if Walter is correct in his previous assertion that C60 in olive oil becomes hydrated and that's why it works.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#5 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

I thought there was some concern of hydrated fullerenes having some toxic side effects.  Wasn't there a study on fish?

• Disagree x 1

#6 Walter Derzko

• Topic Starter
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:46 AM

Daniel Copper asks: I thought there was some concern of hydrated fullerenes having some toxic side effects. Wasn't there a study on fish?

YES, but this was due to sloppy chemistry and sloppy experimental design by Colvin and Oberdörster. And Colvin and Overdorster did not use Hydrated Fullerenes but just pristine C60 powder.

Turns out that it was the experimental solvent residues-tetrahydrofuran (THF) that were toxic, not the Carbon 60 --Walter Derzko.

See reference: [3] Najla Gharbi, Monique Pressac, Michelle Hadchouel, Henri Szwarc, Stephen R. Wilson and Fathi Moussa. [60]Fullerene is an in vivo Powerful Antioxidant With no Acute or Sub-acute Toxicity. Nano Letters, 5 (12) (2005) 2578-2585.

Here is a summary of the toxicity /safety work from http://www.ipacom.co...d-water-left/73

There is no doubt that the rapid development of nanotechnologies requires a clear understanding about the safety of the developed nanomaterials, both for humans and for the environment. And the biological properties of nanoparticles depend not only on their composition, but mainly on their size, form, physical and chemical properties of their surface, determined by the peculiarities of their synthesis method. All of this also holds true for fullerenes – most simple representatives of nano-objects – for which we already knew dozens of ways to obtain their nanoparticles, especially as water dispersions. Nevertheless, one can often face a rather simplified and superficial approach to understanding the definite physical and chemical properties of fullerene nanoparticles synthesised in different ways. In turn, it is well known from scientific literature that this approach has produced many contradicting results during toxicological trials of fullerene nanoparticles.

As a consequence of the above, if you enter the key words “toxicity, fullerene” in an Internet search, you can see a long list of fearful denominations and phrases connected with two works carried out in the USA in 2004: an article by V. Colvin with his co-workers from Rice University, and one by E. Oberdörster from Dallas University [1]. As a “toxic” fullerene, water dispersions of nano-C60 (nC60, THF/nC60) were used for the purposes of this research, prepared with one and the same method, where rather toxic tetrahydrofuran (THF) was used as an intermediate solvent. We reproduced this method and thoroughly analysed the resultant water dispersion of C60. We obtained evidence that standard manipulations with such a dispersion had no desired result in terms of getting rid of THF and that gas chromatography analysis always detects THF and products of its degradation that are integral and prevailing components of nano-C60 particles. It is THF and products of its oxidising modification and their further polymerisation that stipulate the negative biological effects of nano-C60 particles. Our critical remarks as for the pseudo-sensation about fullerenes’ toxicity can be found in the English-language article [2] or its Russian variant, written as an open letter to the scientific community.

Considering our criticism, E. Oberdörster repeated her experiments with aquarian fish and water flea (Daphnias) in 2005. But this time she used fullerene water solution, obtained via 2-month mixing of fullerene powder in water. In this case, any influence of harmful impurities of organic solvents was excluded, but she received water dispersions of fullerene particles of 10–200 nm, whose surfaces consisted of modified hydroxylated (oxidised) fullerenes. However, there was no significant toxicity of fullerenes to any extent, as there had been in previous research work. It was only at very high concentrations (~35 mg/l) of oxidised fullerene particles that any adverse and unreliable effects were observed, which were mainly connected with the very high level of turbidity of the medium, where the water organisms lived and were tested.

At the same time, scientists from France [3] demonstrated that the use of water dispersions of fullerene C60 during experiments on rats had no toxic effects, even in very high doses of C60 (≥ 2.5 g/kg). Moreover, pure fullerene C60 perfectly protected the animal’s organism from the influence of strong toxicant and proved to have powerful antioxidant and hepatoprotective properties.

In spite of this, the idea that fullerenes can be toxic gave occasion for theorists from Vanderbilt University to “play” with computer modelling with fullerene C60 molecules and DNA. However, the real physical and chemical properties of fullerene and DNA molecules in water systems were not considered; speculative conclusions were received as to the possible genotoxicity of fullerenes. You can see our critical remarks (in Russian) on this issue on the Internet-site “Elements”.

Then, in spite of the fact that, back in 1997, Russian scientists clearly demonstrated the absence of any mutagenic, DNA-disturbing action on the part of pure fullerenes (Genetica, 1997, vol. 33, pp. 405-409), two works from American groups appeared in 2006-07 (V. Tarabara et al. from Michigan State University, and S. Pacheco, K. Arcaro et al. from the University of Massachusetts), which included high-sounding statements to the effect that they had established the genotoxicity of fullerene C60 dispersions in water. In addition, in testing done by the second group of researchers, they apparently discovered that colloidal particles of silica (the main component of usual sand!) had DNA-disturbing effects and that they were similar in their extent to those of fullerenes!

A detailed analysis of the results provided by American research works have revealed the scientific incorrectness and fallibility of further conclusions, which were connected with the fundamental non-applicability of the chosen method – the Single-Cell Gel Electrophoresis Assay or Comet assay with Olive Tail Moments (OTM) observation – for an analysis of the genotoxicity of nanoparticles and nanomaterials. The conclusion of our critical analysis (in Russian) can be expressed by the following way: “Pure fullerenes are no more dangerous than regular sand”!

Before these publications appeared, for the previous 20 years, nobody from many laboratories of the world had noticed any toxicity of fullerenes; and fullerenes in their toxicological characteristics have always been equated and continue to be equated to amorphous technical carbon, to carbon black (carbon black, U.S. Department of Labour, OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1000 and 29 CFR 1910.1200).

Numerous biological experiments with our molecular colloidal solutions of hydrated fullerenes (FWS) virtually always start with the testing of their probable toxic effects. And none of the in vitro and in vivo tests have revealed any signs of their toxicity.

Thus, we can fully confidently answer the question about fullerenes’ toxicity: fullerene molecules are not toxic and cannot be more toxic than coal, graphite, diamond or usual sand. What can be toxic are both the chemical derivatives of fullerenes (which is determined by the properties of the chemical groups attached to the fullerene core) and nanoparticles in the form of crystalline solvates (or clathrates) of fullerene molecules with other toxic molecules. In contrast with that, FWS contain only pure fullerenes and water; therefore, one cannot expect any toxic effects upon applying hydrated fullerenes and their aqueous solutions.

Incidentally, at the end of 2005, we gave E. Oberdörster a sample of our FWS and suggested that he carry out comparative biological testing, but there has been no answer as of yet. Moreover, this is probably due to the fact that the myth of fullerenes’ toxicity, which appeared with much fuss in 2004, is being constantly shattered under pressure from reliable and unquestionable scientific findings. Water dispersions, known as nano-C60 or nC60, or THF/nC60, or nC60/THF, which scientists in the West like to work with, are absolutely unsuitable objects for the objective assessment of pure fullerenes’ toxicity. That is exactly why conclusions on the toxicity of fullerene C60, obtained on the basis of such objects, should be considered false ones and they should not be taken into consideration in future.

[1] Oberdorster E. Manufactured nanomaterials (fullerenes, C60) induce oxidative stress in brain of Juvenile Largemouth bass. Environ Health Perspect., 112(10), (2004) 1058–1062.

[2]. G.V. Andrievsky, V.K. Klochkov, L.I. Derevyanchenko. IS C60 FULLERENE MOLECULE TOXIC?! Fullerenes, Nanotubes and Carbon Nanostructures, 13 (4), (2005) 363-376.

[3] Najla Gharbi, Monique Pressac, Michelle Hadchouel, Henri Szwarc, Stephen R. Wilson and Fathi Moussa. [60]Fullerene is an in vivo Powerful Antioxidant With no Acute or Sub-acute Toxicity. Nano Letters, 5 (12) (2005) 2578-2585.

Edited by Walter Derzko, 28 January 2015 - 03:36 AM.

• Informative x 1

#7 Walter Derzko

• Topic Starter
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

Both c60oo and Carbon [60] hydrated fullerenes should address Alzheimer's from a preventive and maybe even a reversal point of view

#8 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

How to make your own C60HYFN by bcelliott - Ph.D. on fullerenes:

[This is my first post on the forum (I've been lurking), so take it easy on me! My background--got my Ph.D. working on fullerenes. I synthesized them in arc reactors that we built, extracted them from soot, purified them, and studied their electronic structure and reactivity with many methods. So I do have some background in the area.

We ran into Andrievsky, the guy who has done the lion's share of work on hydrated fullerenes, at a conference in 2003 in St. Petersburg Russia. At that time, he was preaching the gospel of HyFn to the extent of carrying around vials of concentrated HyFn in his shirt pocket and showing and telling to anyone who would listen that the stuff would cure all ills. I was asked by my prof to reproduce his results, so I made a lot of his stuff and characterized it by spectroscopy, dynamic laser scattering, electron microscopy, etc. My results matched Andrievsky's, so I was convinced. Took one tiny swig of the stuff back then but didn't have the guts to try more. I also reproduced the THF into water method as well.

Fast forward to this last month. A large rat aquaintance of mine has had acute gall bladder problems, and cannot digest most oils, so dosing with C60-OO is not an option. I dusted off Andrievsky's method and made about 250 ml of semi-concentrated HYFN for him. He will begin taking it within days, so we'll see if it has any positive effects.

The method is fairly straightforward, though you need a horn ultrasonicator for best results. Without getting into the nitty gritty details, a layer of low to medium concentrated filtered C60-toluene solution is layered on top of a much larger volume of water, and directly sonicated near the interface for several hours while controlling the temperature. The sonic energy should not be too high or you'll lose too much product to a hard-to-separate emulsion. You can either wait until the toluene evaporates or use a separation funnel to recover the aqueous portion, which is yellow. Then you filter, concentrate as you wish, and filter again. If done correctly, the solution should be yellow and transparent, since most of the product will be tiny clusters of water-complexed C60 from 1-3 molecules, with a small percentage as larger clusters. The THF method (which is the only one to show toxic effects in organisms) and other methods such as direct mixing into water yield much larger clusters from 30-200 nm in size. The sonication from toluene method seems to be the best to produce bioavailable, non-toxic product since the single fullerenes are already fully solvated by toluene at relatively low concentrations in that solvent, and the sonic energy simply exchanges the solvent for water.

Buying second-hand lab equipment to make this product is far less expensive than buying it from Ukraine! It is a lot more work than C60-OO, however, and what remains to be seen is if there are advantages to the HyFn when compared with the oil-solubilized version.
http://www.longecity...fullerene-hyfn/

A cheap sonicator:
http://www.artisticd....com/ulfog.html

@ Walter Derzko:
I think I should follow you around posting this. What do you think?  :)

• WellResearched x 2

#9 SarahB12

• 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

It sounds like there is some promising avenues.  Also, there are promising things with Methylene blue - on this site.  The biggest hitter is exercise 30min walk*5times/week if he can do that.  One of the mechanisms they think is at work with exercise is upregulation of BDNF - which it looks like there a multiple ways to do.  

Also, knowing you're APOE status is good.  The MD's point out that the countermeasures are the same (exercise, eating right, etc), but there are some differences.  The one that comes to mind is the alcohol.  If you are APOE4 (the risk allele) and drink any alcohol, it doubles your chances, but not drinking any in middle age makes you 40% less chance of having it than someone non-APOE4 that doesn't drink alcohol.  Only one study, so controversial. I think the theory lies in the APOE4's blood brain barrier that is weaker and/or breaks down earlier.  I have one copy of E4.  I can tell you that I don't drink alcohol because the effect feels poisonous to me.  I have averted many unhealthy things through my life (sometimes against dr's orders) for the same reason (that it made me feel unwell sometimes in just a very vague way that was hard to explain) - and later found out that would have been bad healthwise - which sometimes they didn't know at the time.  So my alcohol experience may have picked up on the fact that I was getting more of a bad effect than most.

Sarah

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60, carbon60, c60 hydrated fullerenes, alzheimers, dopamine agonist, neurodegenerative disorder, neuroprotection, amyloid-β

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users