• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sulforaphane and Nicotinamide Riboside: The best combination for maximizing AMPK and the SIRTULINS?

sulfora sulforaphane nicotinamide riboside nad+ sirt1 ampk nrf2 pgc1a bioavailability potency

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
537 replies to this topic

#361 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

The seeds are pricey here in NZ, about 35 USD /500g ,lucky if that lasts a Month. I'm eating raw (chewing well) no noticeable effect

#362 Oakman

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

What's the cheapest and simplest way to get sulforaphane? Any supplement? Or through sprouts?

The Super Sprout Broccoli Sprout Powder seems to go close to 50mg/day for $45 per month. It doesn't taste great compared to fresh sprouts though.

Not exactly. According to the seller on Amazon, the product has been tested to produce 0.7% sulforaphane in the lab. So for its 5000mg serving size, that would be 35mg of sulforaphane. However, they continue...,

"...Super Sprout broccoli sprout powder has proven enzyme activity providing a high conversion rate of glucoraphanin producing an average yield of 0.7% sulforaphane (i.e. more than 80% of the glucoraphanin is converted to active sulforaphane) under lab conditions. This is considered very high.

These results are extremely good, however estimates cannot be provided on conversion rates once the powder has been consumed by people as this has not been tested specifically. The potential amount of sulforaphane produced by an individual's unique biological processes could vary."

Not bad, but similar to many other products that don't actually contain any sulforaphane, and each and every one...is subject to the same vague results for producing sulforaphane in the body. Which makes their marketing claim:

• Broccoli sprout is in the Brassica family & contains sulforaphane, a potent super nutrient unique to cruciferous vegetables.​

simply untrue, as it contains only the precursors for sulforaphane.

"

#363 Douglas Woytuik

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:05 PM

I asked about the yield on the Enduracell product from Cell Logic.  They responded that they claimed .15% conversion but were getting .18 regularly in lab tests so 15mg/gram.

(for some reason I can not copy past into the reply field on this site or I would have copied the text fro the email. Anyone know what's wrong? Please PM me if you do. I've tried copying out of several different programs and nothing works.)

#364 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

What's the cheapest and simplest way to get sulforaphane? Any supplement? Or through sprouts?

I would just go with BroccoMax (with Myrosinase). It's cheap, 7 to 13 bucks a bottle and it'll last over a month if you're taking it right. I honestly get an upset stomach with eating broccoli and/or sprouts, not sure why but they also taste like crap. I take 3 on most days but skip some days. 30mg is all you need and not every day.

Edited by Nate-2004, 05 July 2017 - 08:37 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#365 mikela

• 109 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

I found that by rinsing the vast majority of seed husks out of the sprouts through a spaghetti strainer greatly reduced any stomach upset and improved the taste. 

#366 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

I steam sprouts for a couple of minutes with garlic. Taste great to me.

#367 Cube

• 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:02 AM

I've found sprouting to cost me almost as much as broccomax over here and much more work! Unfortunately I've bin waiting for iherb to get more instock. Anyone know what the hold up is with jarrow?

#368 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Food To Live is now selling sprout powder on amazon, this is the only powder I've found that is made in US. By my calculations 1tbsp should yield 60mg sulforaphane but I am not 100% sure on this. I don't know how much myrosinase is active in the powder, might want to take it along with mustard seed or daikon. 

• Informative x 1

#369 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Has anyone notice and increased need for choline with sprouts? I think its giving me some mild brainfog, and eggs help. Normally I never need eggs or any choline whatsoever.

#370 Oakman

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

Food To Live is now selling sprout powder on amazon, this is the only powder I've found that is made in US. By my calculations 1tbsp should yield 60mg sulforaphane but I am not 100% sure on this. I don't know how much myrosinase is active in the powder, might want to take it along with mustard seed or daikon. 

Went to the Food to Live website and was trying to find anything to indicate that this contains sulforaphane or myrosinase...  and found nothing, the words are not even mentioned. It's not organic either, whatever that's worth.

Taking another example on Amazon I've tried myself, Sprout Living FD Sprout Mix (Broccoli & Kale) is also made in the USA and is stated to be Freeze Dried (not dried in a rotating drum as they say on Amazon the Food to Live product is) USDA Organic, RAW, Non-GMO, vegan, gluten free, etc.  Sprout Living also mentions isothiocyanates, glucosinolates, and sulforaphane in their product and that it is enzymatically active (maybe and hopefully meaning myrosinase?). Typical conversion % of these products is 0.4% to 0.6% glucosinolates to sulforaphane, so going by other products I've read about. So "if " a product contains myrosinase, which would yield for a typical 3.5 g teaspoon,  ~ 14-21 mg sulforaphane, not 60 mg.

Not saying you're wrong, but there do seem to be superior products to potentially provide sulforaphane (from sprouts) out there to be had. And I have nothing to do with any ot these products.

#371 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

I've found sprouting to cost me almost as much as broccomax over here and much more work! Unfortunately I've bin waiting for iherb to get more instock. Anyone know what the hold up is with jarrow?

Costs almost as much? In logarithmic terms, possibly...

And, yes, slightly more "work" than opening a pill bottle. About as much work as making a frozen pizza, in my experience.

Edited by tintinet, 14 July 2017 - 12:44 AM.

• Agree x 1

#372 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:52 AM

Has anyone notice and increased need for choline with sprouts? I think its giving me some mild brainfog, and eggs help. Normally I never need eggs or any choline whatsoever.

Actually yes, but I'd never put it down to sprouts. Interesting

#373 Cube

• 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:25 AM

Tintinet i don't eat frozen pizza so I'm not sure but i do make my own milk kifer water kifer and kombucha a bag of sprouting seed here in the tropics costs a fair amount and I wouldn't use the one's from the hardware store that are sprayed and used for the actual growth of the vegetable. Yes i have grown my own and tried to harvest the seeds. At the end of the day the product doesn't always smell right due to the warm conditions. I'm busy outside of my practice and yes i will take the option of a pill if i feel the quality is there even though I'm a believer eating quality food as often as possible. Sometimes you can't do everthing at once i have a lot more interests than just sprouts. But thank you Tintinet for the being helpful.

#374 goboating

• 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:47 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Makes sense. Phosphatidylcholine (PTC) is a major component of cell membranes, especially neurons. If SFN stimulates BDNF and NGF then there should be an increased need for PTC right there. If neuronal growth is hippocampal then there should be an increased need for acetylcholine, for which PTC is a major precursor.

I discovered I had at least two PTC related polymorphisms and supplemented against them at the same time I discovered SFN so it's hard to judge an increase, but I surely need that choline. 

#375 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

Makes sense. Phosphatidylcholine (PTC) is a major component of cell membranes, especially neurons. If SFN stimulates BDNF and NGF then there should be an increased need for PTC right there. If neuronal growth is hippocampal then there should be an increased need for acetylcholine, for which PTC is a major precursor.

I discovered I had at least two PTC related polymorphisms and supplemented against them at the same time I discovered SFN so it's hard to judge an increase, but I surely need that choline. 

I wonder if those who report feeling stimulation from sulforaphane (as opposed to those who feel drowsy, like me), have more choline in their brain or are taking choline supps? Similar to how bendryl will not make you as drowsy if you have an overload of choline (anecdotal). 

Edited by j87, 25 July 2017 - 07:25 AM.

• Informative x 1

#376 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

In an earlier post I drew attention to sulforaphane's protection of the pericytes, small compounds that keep our arteries and veins happy. That was about aging in general en specifically diabetic retinpathy. However elsewhere on this website Reason today refers to this recent study that hypothesizes that Alzheimer and dementia may be caused by failing pericytes in the brain vascular system.

For those of us who want to dive deeper and get motivated about keeping pericytes happy, here is a study that describes how (using leptine) pericytes regenerate blood vessels after a heart attack:

http://www.bristol.a...rt-attacks.html

#377 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

I don't think there still is a live Indole-3-Carbinol  thread  on LC, so this is the best place to draw attention to the update on this important substance by the Linus Pauling Institute. One more reason to eat lots of Brassicas!

http://lpi.oregonsta...ole-3-carbinol 

Edited by Harkijn, 28 July 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#378 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

I don't think there still is a live Indole-3-Carbinol  thread  on LC, so this is the best place to draw attention to the update on this important substance by the Linus Pauling Institute. One more reason to eat lots of Brassicas!

http://lpi.oregonsta...ole-3-carbinol 

Your link is broken. I had to look up Brassicas, I guess that's another word for cruciferous vegetables. What's the indole content of sprouts vs broccoli and what about cabbage? I know cabbage to me only tastes good in spring rolls but those aren't exactly the healthiest given the fried rice roll.

Edited by Nate-2004, 28 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#379 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

I am sorry about that. One more try:

http://lpi.oregonsta...dole-3-carbinol

If it still doesn't work take it from here:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/

The article contains a long list of food sources that unfortunately does not include broccoli sprouts. However, if you compare this list with the SFN list of dr. Patrick, I think that making a salad with watercress (for SFN) and mustard greens (high in Indole) would be an efficient combination. For both, myrosinase is important btw.

I know you don't like vegetables, so the synergy might make that you can eat smaller portions!  :)

#380 Oakman

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

I3C (Indole-3-Carbinol) is readily available on Amazon, Swanson's, etc., for those that can't stomach food sources, if that helps.

#381 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

I've been getting veggies using Rhonda's Smoothie #2 recipe but you're right, while I can stomach kale with a fruit smoothie, neither broccoli sprouts nor broccoli are edible for me, I get nauseated and get stomach cramps. Not sure if there's something in broccoli that makes my stomach upset or what, but I also gag on the awful taste. So I basically take the BroccoMax supps with myrosinase still.

Someone earlier mentioned choline and sulforaphane, I'm trying that combo. Hard to say though.

#382 goboating

• 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

Someone earlier mentioned choline and sulforaphane, I'm trying that combo. Hard to say though.

There may be more to it than just choline and sulforaphane.  AFAIK the heavy lifting gets done by phosphatidylcholine (which you can supplement directly) meaning you need high quality fish oil to go with the choline.

On some level the combo of sulforaphane and phosphatidylcholine (PTC) is replicating the mr happy stack but replacing the uridine with sulforaphane (since it raises BDNF and NGF).

Another thing, one of the main choline sources, eggs, have a whole range of complex lipids (phospholipids, sphingolipids, cholesterols) rather than just choline. Phosphatidylserine for example is associated with improved learning and memory.

Some Nordic Naturals Omega 3 products have added PTC, Meriva based curcumin products use PTC as a carrier and there's also an interesting product called "energy lipids powder" which I believe has a range of engineered complex lipids. 

#383 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Some followers of this thread may not have noticed that another SFN thread has sprung up with one interesting contribution:

http://www.longecity...phane-and-nrf2/

This is the very subject our OP mentioned in his opening post.

#384 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

https://www.scienced...71012151754.htm

I did not see much new information in this article but I post it here for completeness and motivation.

Edited by Harkijn, 13 October 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#385 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

We demonstrate here that SFN [Sulforaphane] induces mitochondrial hyperfusion . . .

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5126150/

What exactly is "Hyperfusion" in this context? Does this mean more fusion or faster fusion?

• Informative x 1

#386 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

So what’s the consensus on a sulforaphane supplement?
There’s another thread in the main supplement subforum that finds most commercial supplements are inadequate at supplying sulforaphane.
  • Good Point x 1

#387 Oakman

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Short of testing every product w/independent labs, supplements that specifically state "sulforaphane" and a specific amount are most likely to actually contain some. 

Any other psuedo-variations or precursors to sulforaphane are mere marketing hyper-venting.

Ones with myrosinase included offer some hope of producing sulforaphane, but any results depend on your gut and what's in it.

#388 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

The best still in my opinion is Broccomax which contains myrosinase. However, I also include kale in my smoothies and I tend to blend that first so that the myrosinase mixes with the glucoraphanin. I'll be growing my own sprouts again soon now that I have a bigger place, freezing them at 3 or 4 days and then adding them to the smoothies. That should guarantee sulforaphane.

#389 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

I will just eat the seeds until you can show me a few hundred milligrams of erucic acid per day is dangerous. Probably won't take a teaspoon (5g according to my measure) every day, though.

5 gram seed is about 600mg erucic acid, assuming 12%. Tolerable daily intake is 7mg/kg according to http://onlinelibrary....2016.4593/full

What are the imagined bad effects of low doses of erucic acid? 

Edited by Keizo, 16 December 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#390 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Why take a chance? Just cut the erucic acid significantly by letting them sprout for 3 days. I sprout mine for about 3 days (sulforaphane is actually highest on that day) in large quantities then freeze them (which enhances sulforaphane) and, over time, add them to my kale smoothies. (side note: It's good if you blend them with kale (which also contains glucoraphanin/myrosinase) in the water first before adding other veggies).

Edited by Nate-2004, 16 December 2017 - 02:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sulfora, sulforaphane, nicotinamide riboside, nad+, sirt1, ampk, nrf2, pgc1a, bioavailability, potency

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users