* * * - - 2 votes

Alternatives to using phenibut every day

phenibut depression anxiety anhedonia phenibut alternatives

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

You make a strong case for phenibut.  I would very much like to give it a shot, but I have learned the hard way that I don't mix well with habit forming compounds.  Honestly, I'm not convinced you've trialed everything under the sun and I still take it with a grain of salt that you've elevated phenibut to superstar status.  For me achieving the 30% of phenibut may be enough, because I feel like my attitude accounts for 70% of my depression.  Seems yours is less a matter of choice

Wasn't my intention to make Phenibut sound like a wonder drug. By all means other options should be exhausted first before resorting to an addictive compound that doesn't even have much information behind its possible long-term consequences. But when a substance targets so very well the issues this thread's starter is suffering from, it may be time to consider it as viable option. He has been able to use it responsibly for two years so that indicates he's not going to end up like the typical Phenibut trainwreck of internet boards. The risks are there - what if you have an accident and end up withdrawing with no access to your supply? The withdrawal is indeed nightmarish. Personally I have some Diazepam and capsuled Phenibut with me everywhere I go.

I have not trialed everything under the sun, but a lot of typical and atypical pharmaceutical interventions have been more or less useless. Herbals and supplements can be helpful to some extent. But at the moment Phenibut is working where other things have failed, so I'm sticking to it. I do keep an eye out for other potential substances. It's not like I want to take Phenibut forever.

I invited Oracle Laboratories (John Gona) to check this thread out. He has extensive knowledge of Phenibut and other GABA-agonist drugs - pharmacology and therapeutic uses.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 10 February 2017 - 08:31 AM.

• like x 2

#32 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

You make a strong case for phenibut.  I would very much like to give it a shot, but I have learned the hard way that I don't mix well with habit forming compounds.  Honestly, I'm not convinced you've trialed everything under the sun and I still take it with a grain of salt that you've elevated phenibut to superstar status.  For me achieving the 30% of phenibut may be enough, because I feel like my attitude accounts for 70% of my depression.  Seems yours is less a matter of choice

Wasn't my intention to make Phenibut sound like a wonder drug. By all means other options should be exhausted first before resorting to an addictive compound that doesn't even have much information behind its possible long-term consequences. But when a substance targets so very well the issues this thread's starter is suffering from, it may be time to consider it as viable option. He has been able to use it responsibly for two years so that indicates he's not going to end up like the typical Phenibut trainwreck of internet boards. The risks are there - what if you have an accident and end up withdrawing with no access to your supply? The withdrawal is indeed nightmarish. Personally I have some Diazepam and capsuled Phenibut with me everywhere I go.

I have not trialed everything under the sun, but a lot of typical and atypical pharmaceutical interventions have been more or less useless. Herbals and supplements can be helpful to some extent. But at the moment Phenibut is working where other things have failed, so I'm sticking to it. I do keep an eye out for other potential substances. It's not like I want to take Phenibut forever.

I invited Oracle Laboratories (John Gona) to check this thread out. He has extensive knowledge of Phenibut and other GABA-agonist drugs - pharmacology and therapeutic uses.

Exactly. Phenibut isn't a wonder drug and has severe withdrawal. But so do the antidepressants I have tried. And those didn't even work! Living like this isn't an option for much longer, I need to start functioning properly so I can build on a happy life and stable career before it is too late. So it is choosing the lesser of two evils and at the moment that is phenibut.I will of course also keep looking for safer alternatives.

The possibility to get cut off from my supply is also something I've been thinking about. There is of course no way to completely eliminate this risk bit I think it can be minimised by doing exactly what you do. I can't get my hands on benzos in a legal way but if I start taking phenibut daily then I will also be keeping some in my car and on my person. Better be safe than sorry. I'm also considering putting a note in my wallet next to my ID card, explaining my phenibut use and what people can do to help me avoid withdrawals in case I get an accident. Maybe you can do the same. I think it is possible to keep the risks very low that way, and even if that doen't work, a week or two of withdrawal pales in comparison to being able to live a normal life with the help of phenibut.

Thanks for inviting someone with that knowledge! I'm excited to read his opinion on this.

Edited by kt69, 10 February 2017 - 11:36 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

this guy sounds like he could keep heroin in check.  If you're that good, phenibut could be safe to take forever.  As for pharms, yeah.. not too many.  Amulsipride, olazapine, piribedil, zyprexa, and citalopram (can backfire).  Other herbs are shilajit, yohombine, indian snake root.  Kratom too, I think the guy taking 7g daily could look into extacts?

@kt69

It's good to focus on this issue, but with how serious phenibut is, I'm not sure it's the best choice.

I don't think so the anhedonia or lack of joy is the main problem with your work (it's not with mine).  Hobbies? Yes.  I have more work problems from lack of intent (identity), emotional aloneness (reactive), and just complaining or having negative thoughts in general.

#34 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

this guy sounds like he could keep heroin in check.  If you're that good, phenibut could be safe to take forever.  As for pharms, yeah.. not too many.  Amulsipride, olazapine, piribedil, zyprexa, and citalopram (can backfire).  Other herbs are shilajit, yohombine, indian snake root.  Kratom too, I think the guy taking 7g daily could look into extacts?

@kt69

It's good to focus on this issue, but with how serious phenibut is, I'm not sure it's the best choice.

I don't think so the anhedonia or lack of joy is the main problem with your work (it's not with mine).  Hobbies? Yes.  I have more work problems from lack of intent (identity), emotional aloneness (reactive), and just complaining or having negative thoughts in general.

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who drink rat urine, wonder what life could be and where the years have gone - and those who take the risk, consume a powder from the former USSR comrades, grab life by the balls, get laid and live the dream.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 11 February 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • Cheerful x 2

#35 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

@kt69

Thanks, I will look into those substances as well. And no I'm definitely not that good, if that was about me.  ;) I did abuse kratom for a few months when I first discovered it and I was almost an alcoholic around 5 years ago. But I did become better with time to keep myself in check.

It's not just one thing that prevents me from functioning. If it was, I would probably be able to fix it. Everything in daily life takes SO much effort. That's a big one. And then there is the anxiety, mood swings, lack of sociable behavior, lack of drive / motivation, etc.

Edited by kt69, 11 February 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#36 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

The withdrawal of phenibut is a non issue, 1 week of clonazepam, diazepam of baclofen completely reverses that issue, tolerance may be an issue for some but it isn't for me, except to the euphoria.

I only use it for stim anxiety (don't need it with every stim) it may inhibit neurogenesis as it acts like pregabalin and a mild gabab agonist

#37 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

get laid

who said anything about phenibut and dis-empathy or social anxiety?  and remind me why you have to hate on my herbs.  like what've they done to you man

#38 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

remind me why you have to hate on my herbs.  like what've they done to you man

Yohimbine gave me panic attack and a rock hard boner, not a fun combination let me tell you.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 13 February 2017 - 11:05 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Well Written x 1

#39 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

The withdrawal of phenibut is a non issue, 1 week of clonazepam, diazepam of baclofen completely reverses that issue, tolerance may be an issue for some but it isn't for me, except to the euphoria.

I only use it for stim anxiety (don't need it with every stim) it may inhibit neurogenesis as it acts like pregabalin and a mild gabab agonist

Hey medievil, you once suggested low dose Iboga for Phenibut tolerance if I remember correctly, what was the idea behind that?

Definitely having a 1 - 2 week benzo supply is pretty much a must for anyone who's going to take Phenibut daily.

What I believe makes Phenibut withdrawal extremely harsh is the fact that the TAAR1-antagonism blocks endogenous PEA (Phenylethylamine) - so in withdrawal you have this rebound of PEA which is a GABA-B ANTagonist and a dopamine-noradrenaline releaser on top of that. So imagine going through a downer withdrawal and having amphetamine in your system and you get the idea why shit gets real bad. But riding it out with benzos or taking something to keep the GABA-B agonized (baclofen) and it's suddenly not so difficult. Or a very slow taper and some other anxiolytics to smoothen it out.

#40 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hey medievil, you once suggested low dose Iboga for Phenibut tolerance if I remember correctly, what was the idea behind that?

Definitely having a 1 - 2 week benzo supply is pretty much a must for anyone who's going to take Phenibut daily.

What I believe makes Phenibut withdrawal extremely harsh is the fact that the TAAR1-antagonism blocks endogenous PEA (Phenylethylamine) - so in withdrawal you have this rebound of PEA which is a GABA-B ANTagonist and a dopamine-noradrenaline releaser on top of that. So imagine going through a downer withdrawal and having amphetamine in your system and you get the idea why shit gets real bad. But riding it out with benzos or taking something to keep the GABA-B agonized (baclofen) and it's suddenly not so difficult. Or a very slow taper and some other anxiolytics to smoothen it out.

Wouldn't that just delay the withdrawal until you stop with the benzo? Because you can't really taper with benzos.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this but to me a very slow taper over the course of several weeks seems like the best option to get off phenibut.

#41 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

Wouldn't that just delay the withdrawal until you stop with the benzo? Because you can't really taper with benzos.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this but to me a very slow taper over the course of several weeks seems like the best option to get off phenibut.

Benzos and Phenibut aren't cross-tolerant, since benzos act on the ionotropic GABA-A receptors. So you'll be withdrawing while the benzo covers most of the symptoms. Of course benzos can have their own withdrawals, but not from a short course of couple of weeks. I've also read that some successfully treat their anxiety long-term by switching between GABA-A and GABA-B agonists time to time.

#42 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Benzos and Phenibut aren't cross-tolerant, since benzos act on the ionotropic GABA-A receptors. So you'll be withdrawing while the benzo covers most of the symptoms. Of course benzos can have their own withdrawals, but not from a short course of couple of weeks. I've also read that some successfully treat their anxiety long-term by switching between GABA-A and GABA-B agonists time to time.

Thanks, great information!! I found out that it is easy to order research chemical benzos online so that might be an option too if I can't get a prescription. Do you know anything about a dosing schedule for something like this? I'm thinking like 2 days benzo, 3 days phenibut, 2 days nothing (weekend).

I'm also trialling l-theanine and ashwagandha but so far the results are disappointing. I just started though so I'm not giving up on those just yet.

#43 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, great information!! I found out that it is easy to order research chemical benzos online so that might be an option too if I can't get a prescription. Do you know anything about a dosing schedule for something like this? I'm thinking like 2 days benzo, 3 days phenibut, 2 days nothing (weekend).

I'm also trialling l-theanine and ashwagandha but so far the results are disappointing. I just started though so I'm not giving up on those just yet.

I think they were taking like 3 weeks of benzos and then 3 weeks of phenibut or something like that. This is just some anecdotes from bluelight so take it for what it's worth.

Your method sounds much safer and you can track your baseline on those wash out days. You could experience some discomfort when off.

I'm not your doctor so it's all experimentation.

#44 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

Im looking for a good alternative myself, jeez life is so differened then I tought it was, I honestly need something to relax me when I get too stressed.

Some lemon balm essential oil, cheap tablets with valerian, hops and passionflower seem like a good idea, also gonna use some research chemicals and nootropics to relax me offcourse, aniracetam and 4-cbc im thinking.

Oh wait ashwaghanda acts on gabab, I think that's where to look.

Edited by medievil, 20 February 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#45 Simon Silver

• 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

I've been taking phenibut everyday going on ten years, started with Primaforce and then Liftmode brand. It never stops working, I take a gram every 5 hours and have been steady at that dose for a long time. One thing I highly recomnend is that you buy the free amino acid variety, I developed interstitial cystitis from what I believe were two acute instances of dehydration on stims (mxe and 2-fma respectively) and my daily caustic consumption of 4 grams of phenibut hcl. I don't recommend you pick up this habit, but it does beat benzos, you can drink on it, and it doesn't cause memoty impairments or any other side effects that I can tell in the longterm.

I have also tried to kick this habit many times but it is the strongest safest antianxiety I have found. Beware with trying herbal anxiolytics in high doses to taper yourself, I hurt my liver with lemon balm and skullcap tea (fantastic combo on paper, wogonin is a bzd ligand and lemon balm supresses gaba-t) but this proved hepatoxic. Kava gave me problems daily, kratom was great but proved to be a terrible addiction for me repeatedly.

Meditation and mushrooms are probably the only way out. I did get my genome through 23andme and found I have the MTHFR mutation which causes homocysteine buildup through a broken methylation cycle. After taking levomefolic acid per the selfhacked guy's advice my background anxiety is roughly half what it was before and dropping, so I think I can maybe quit it this time for good due to the harsh nerve static I used to experience being almost gone. ( i did not notice that this was my baseline till my homocysteine levels dropped ). I recommend anyone with GAD and no PTSD related anxiety try this supplement to see if you respond well, it will save you $200 to see if you have the mutation.

I'm very grateful for having phenibut as a crutch these years but it doesnt solve the root problems and hampers your development in learning to overcome your fears or finding the biological cause of your GABA imbalance. Withdrawal is a bitch but tons of pharma-approved drugs have miserable "discontinuation syndromes" which are a euphemism for the same thing. (lexapro and effexor especially)

#46 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

Im looking for a good alternative myself, jeez life is so differened then I tought it was, I honestly need something to relax me when I get too stressed.

Some lemon balm essential oil, cheap tablets with valerian, hops and passionflower seem like a good idea, also gonna use some research chemicals and nootropics to relax me offcourse, aniracetam and 4-cbc im thinking.

Oh wait ashwaghanda acts on gabab, I think that's where to look.

Ashwagandha is pretty decent, you'll need a quality extract minimum of 10mg withanolides taken 2-3 times a day, and it needs to have that brown color to be legitimate. Now brand Ashwagandha works for me. Ashwa augments both SSRIs and benzos, even alcohol is synergistic with it.

Another one could be Gotu Kola. It's selective GABA-B agonist, inducer of GAD enzyme (glutamate -> GABA conversion), cholecystokinin-B antagonist and regulates monoamine release. I find it effective at around 2 grams, in studies it's been taken up to 12 grams a day without issues. Cheap and wonderful stuff.

Problem with herbs though is that when taking a lot of them they cause GI discomfort at least for me.

#47 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

GHB, baclofen. Possibly with a cigarette and some syrian rue.

But phenibut is a dirty drug, so face more addiction with those.

Also let me tell you, that you are a fool. I will gladly tell you why that is so.

Edited by Aolministrator, 21 February 2017 - 06:58 PM.

• dislike x 3

#48 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

So far the l-theanine does nothing. Ashwagandha has only very limited effect at the recommended dose and higher dosages make me sleepy. I noticed that it does potentiate phenibut a bit so it might be useful in keeping my phenibut dose lower. I still need to experiment some more with that. I also use Now brand. I will order some Gotu Kola one of these days too.

I've been taking phenibut everyday going on ten years, started with Primaforce and then Liftmode brand. It never stops working, I take a gram every 5 hours and have been steady at that dose for a long time. One thing I highly recomnend is that you buy the free amino acid variety, I developed interstitial cystitis from what I believe were two acute instances of dehydration on stims (mxe and 2-fma respectively) and my daily caustic consumption of 4 grams of phenibut hcl. I don't recommend you pick up this habit, but it does beat benzos, you can drink on it, and it doesn't cause memoty impairments or any other side effects that I can tell in the longterm.

I have also tried to kick this habit many times but it is the strongest safest antianxiety I have found. Beware with trying herbal anxiolytics in high doses to taper yourself, I hurt my liver with lemon balm and skullcap tea (fantastic combo on paper, wogonin is a bzd ligand and lemon balm supresses gaba-t) but this proved hepatoxic. Kava gave me problems daily, kratom was great but proved to be a terrible addiction for me repeatedly.

Meditation and mushrooms are probably the only way out. I did get my genome through 23andme and found I have the MTHFR mutation which causes homocysteine buildup through a broken methylation cycle. After taking levomefolic acid per the selfhacked guy's advice my background anxiety is roughly half what it was before and dropping, so I think I can maybe quit it this time for good due to the harsh nerve static I used to experience being almost gone. ( i did not notice that this was my baseline till my homocysteine levels dropped ). I recommend anyone with GAD and no PTSD related anxiety try this supplement to see if you respond well, it will save you $200 to see if you have the mutation.

I'm very grateful for having phenibut as a crutch these years but it doesnt solve the root problems and hampers your development in learning to overcome your fears or finding the biological cause of your GABA imbalance. Withdrawal is a bitch but tons of pharma-approved drugs have miserable "discontinuation syndromes" which are a euphemism for the same thing. (lexapro and effexor especially)

Thanks, good to read. I'm still considering using phenibut daily, looks like it can be done if one is careful enough.

What dose of levomefolic acid do you take? I'd like to try it. There is at least something wrong with my neurotransmitter balance and that may very well be it. And yeah I know all about effexor withdrawal, it knocked me out for two weeks and it didn't even work. Never again!

Edited by kt69, 21 February 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#49 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Don't get me wrong, im still gonna take phenibut, but balancing it out with other things like ashwaghanda will allow me to take less, or use when I run out of phenibut, its the benzo withdrawals that are the problem, they prevent phenibut withdrawals but I take more benzos because of rcs, so again same story I need to find balance.

#50 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Don't get me wrong, im still gonna take phenibut, but balancing it out with other things like ashwaghanda will allow me to take less, or use when I run out of phenibut, its the benzo withdrawals that are the problem, they prevent phenibut withdrawals but I take more benzos because of rcs, so again same story I need to find balance.

So you take benzos and phenibut? Did I understand that correctly? Sound like a dangerous combination.

How much phenibut do you use? Taking less is always better of course.

#51 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

I did get my genome through 23andme and found I have the MTHFR mutation which causes homocysteine buildup through a broken methylation cycle. After taking levomefolic acid per the selfhacked guy's advice my background anxiety is roughly half what it was before and dropping, so I think I can maybe quit it this time for good due to the harsh nerve static I used to experience being almost gone. ( i did not notice that this was my baseline till my homocysteine levels dropped ). I recommend anyone with GAD and no PTSD related anxiety try this supplement to see if you respond well, it will save you $200 to see if you have the mutation.

Isnt that MTHFR just a load of neuropathic nonsense that no real professional is behind? They all say to just get a blood test, if the blood test has you deficient in something, then supplement, if not do nothing, even if you have a mutation.

#52 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:12 PM

There simply is no scientific data on the long-term implications of having MTHFR mutations.

On the one hand, its known that MTHFR results in a sub-optimal, if not critically harmful, nutritional deficit. Depending not only on the severity of the mutation types you have, but also seemingly and by large sheer randomness.

From what we can scientifically validate, Having any kind of MTHFR mutations impairs the bodies ability to some degree, to handle most of any of the normal environmental toxins, that we face every day. Some more than others, depending on food choices, drinking water, etc.

Now take a person with MTHFR who only has negligible, sub-clinical symptoms for years. With their ability to handle e.g. mercury impaired, it accumulates in their guts and nervous system and causes more and more problems. The whole system starts degrading and eventually may fail, in the sense that some disorder, such as depression or GAD emerges, that renders the person mentally ill or for life disabled. In that case, supplementing methylfolate may be better than nothing, but the damage is already done and won't go any more away than the cardiovascular degeneration you would get from smoking cigarettes, doesn't go away by quitting smoking. If then damage done only improves very slowly, by lots of exercise and overall a healthy lifestyle and diet.

To the contrary, just as with cigarettes, the accelerated degenerative processes could be so slow and constant, that they never become serious enough, and are "misattributed" simply to being the natural onset of old age. Everyone after all, loses their youthful strength and endurance gradually. And people can very well learn to live just as fine as everyone else, with what we understand as a natural given here. Old people are notorious for their mental sluggishness, tiredness, forgetfulness, physical weaknesses, overall cognitive decline and frequent health-related ailments. In fact the whole toxin accumulation process described, is exactly just as any other degenerative process, a normal part of getting old. Regardless if you have MTHFR or not.

Some 1/4th of people have a type of MTHFR mutation, that would by all our scientific understanding of the metabolism, pose to be a major metabolic disadvantage. Yet, only a very small percentage of those people are reportedly sick from it, the other's not having or not realizing any immediate problems that could be attributed to the mutation. At least, not with the dataset we currently have.

So the controversy is born: We know its bad, we know every 3rd person has it, we know that it takes decades to really take ill or even crippling effects that could manifest as maybe 80% of all diagnosed psychiatric disorders, and probably cause a quarter of the physical ones - which is why we can't really prove the magnitude of that implication. What reference to even use, if it really has such harm potential and is so common in our population?

One thing is certain: You don't need a blood test to realize, that a metabolic deficit of this sort will result in considerably sub-optimal function of your system, that is probably as long as sub-clinical, as you haven't lost your youth and strength yet enough to make you submit to the degenration it accelerated. To shrug off having the MTHFR mutations, just because everyone else unaware of them seems to be living their lives well enough, is just as dumb as to stuff yourself full of fast food, just because everyone else does it - and then make it up to a cholesterol blood test still in range enough, whether or not its ok. No scientific evidence will ever prove to you, that being a Burger King customer has a causal relationship with diabetes, obesity and shortened lifespan. That's not in the scope of science.

Supplement methylfolate and B12. With or without genetic testing. Tell it your family. That's just the smartest course if action.

A blood test is unreliable, because you could have just eaten a lot of meat the day before. Living circumstances change, more stress means less sleep means poorer metabolism and with most people also a poorer diet. It could be just random, how much B12 you absorb declines with age and is influenced by god knows what you eat. Drinking a glass of vinegar a day, or eating spinach instead of beans, could make the difference between "within tolerance" and "deficient". You have MTHFR, you got to supplement imho.

MTHFR might be the reason, that my 60 year old uncle is now facing the slow onset of dementia, watching TV all day. And my 90 year old grandfather is still around hiking in the woods, complaining about recent politics and city affairs in astonishing details, and dealing with stocks in his spare time. It might be the very reason for 80% of the cases of depression. Or 50% of GAD. No one knows, because there is no data for it, all just educated guesswork.

Edited by Aolministrator, 22 February 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#53 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was invited here by GallaxyShock, and I am glad that he brought this thread to my attention.  

I personally am a severe Panic Disorder sufferer, and my team and I have synthesized a number of novel compounds including other phenylated GABA derivatives, Phenibut derivatives, and Phenibut pro-drugs (meaning drugs that produce Phenibut as an active metabolite) such our compound Phenigabine.  I am intimately familiar with the various mechanism(s)-of action of these compounds, as well as their regular (daily) use in clinical settings to treat anxiety disorders, including Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Agoraphobia), and Panic Disorder (most notably), as well as the depressive disorders that often accompany such disorders, and their inherent symptoms, such as anhedonia and chronic apathy.  My team and I have also identified specific mechanism by which Phenibut exerts antidepressant activity, by inducing pre-synaptic release of Dopamine - mediated by Phenibut's action on specific Cav1.4 and Cav2.1 binding sites along α2δ Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca2+ (Calcium) Channels, which are not dramatically noticed by some individuals, but which cause dramatic mood improvement and pro-social behavior in some subjects.  As a biochemist, neurobiologist, and pharmacologist by trade, it is no surprise that, as a Panic Disorder sufferer, I have investigated the development of a myriad of GABA Receptor agonists, Reuptake Inhibitors, biosynthesis catalysts, Positive Allosteric Modulators, and combination action compounds - so I am certainly happy to lend my experience with Phenibut and related GABA-derivative agonist drugs here, both personally and in overseeing patients using such drugs regularly in clinical trial settings.

I do not mean to "talk down" to anybody in this thread, as there are some knowledgeable posters here; I will simply explain the basic biochemistry, biosynthesis, and the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of GABA and GABA derivatives, such as Phenibut and Baclofen, and their practical therapeutic uses, the way that I would to a novice, just so that there are no miscommunications.  I have briefly read over the posts in this thread so far, and there is some good information posted thus far, but I am short on time at the moment, and will post a more in-depth and comprehensive reply once I have some more free time.

As most of you know, GABA (chemically designated as Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid or y-Aminobutyric Acid) is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter of the Central-Nervous-System which helps to calm neuronal channels, and balance-out the activity of the other, primarily excitatory (stimulatory) monoamine, catecholamine, and independent (such as Glutamate) neurotransmitters, to keep neuronal systems in the brain from being excited to the point of convulsion and seizure.  GABA supplements exist, however, GABA must be produced in the brain and orally-administered GABA supplements do not cross the Blood-Brain-Barrier and are simply destroyed via first-pass metabolism in the stomach and gastro-intestinal tract.

Phenibut (or 
 β-Phenyl-y-Aminobutyric Acid) is the GABA molecule with the simple addition of a cyclic phenyl ring on the GABA chain, which makes the molecule lipophillic (fat-soluble) enough to permeate the Blood-Brain-Barrier.  The addition of the phenyl ring also significantly affects the compound's receptor selectivity, making it highly selective for the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors over the ionotropic GABA -A Receptors, and also inherently giving it some biochemical affinity for α2δ Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca2+ (Calcium) Channels (where it has an inhibitory action, as a "gabapentinoid"), and also an affinity for the TAAR1 (Trace-Amine-Associated Receptor 1) Receptors (where it acts as an antagonist, and blocks the binding of the brain's endogenous β-Phenethylamine and other Trace Amines).  All three of these actions contribute to Phenibut's anxiolytic (anti-anxiety action), and this is why Phenibut tends to be more anxiolytic than Baclofen, which functions solely as a selective and competitive agonist of the GABA -B Receptor, and lacks Phenibut's TAAR1 and Ca2+ Channel activity.

So, the anxiolytic action of Phenibut is threefold.  1. It functions as a GABA -B Receptor agonist.  2. It binds to selective binding sites along α2δ Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca2+ (Calcium) Channels (where it has an inhibitory action, and acts as a "gabapentinoid") and calms neuronal ion channels in various neuronal pathways, and 3. It functions as a TAAR1 Receptor antagonist, where it blocks the binding of the brain's endogenous β-Phenethylamine and other Trace Amines, such as Octopamine, Synephrine, Phenylalanine, etc. (Phenethylamine is the prototypical chemical backbone for a class of compounds collectively referred to as "the Phenethylamines", which includes compounds like the Amphetamines and the Cathinones, which are often anxiety-provoking).

Baclofen (chemically β-(4-chlorophenyl)-γ-aminobutyric acid) is the same molecule as Phenibut (GABA with the addition of a cyclic phenyl ring), the only difference being the addition of a halogen group (in this case, a choride group) on the para-position of the phenyl ring. - This simple addition affects the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the molecule rather significantly.  First, the addition of the chloride atom significantly shields the phenyl ring of Baclofen during first-pass metabolism and subsequently greatly increases its oral bioavailability compared to Phenibut. (An example being that typical oral Baclofen doses are 20mg, while common oral doses of Phenibut can be as large as 2000mg+)!  Additionally, the addition of the chloride atom on the para-position of the phenyl ring of Baclofen, also negates any affinity for the α2δ Subunit-Containing Calcium Channels, and affinity for the TAAR1 Receptors, that Phenibut possesses.  So, although Baclofen does possess some of Phenibut's anti-anxiety activity because of its GABA -B Receptor agonism, and for this reason can cause mild physical dependence (like Phenibut), it is not associated with any of the mild psychological "addiction" that some people develop for Phenibut, since it lacks activity at the Cav1.4 and Cav2.1 binding sites along the α2δ Subunit-Containing Ca2+ Channels that are responsible for the pre-synaptic dopamine release in the Frontal Lobe and Parietal Lobes.  (Which is what causes the antidepressant and euphoric mood-lifting effects of Phenibut, as well as its pro-social effects).

Chemically, Phenibut is classified as a phenyl-substituted amino acid; as far as classifying Phenibut according to its pharmacological action - it is a selective and competitive agonist of the GABA -B Receptor.  It also classifies as a "gabapentinoid" alongside drugs like Gabapentin (which consists of the GABA molecule with the addition of a cyclic cyclohexyl ring, in place of Phenibut's phenyl ring), and Pregabalin  (which consists of the GABA molecule with the addition of a isobutyl group, in place of Phenibut's phenyl ring).  Also, because of its mild antagonist action at TAAR1 (Trace Amine-Associated Receptor 1) Receptors, it can be classified as a weak TAAR1 Antagonist.

Phenibut is used by most people as an anxiolytic, to relieve anxiety caused by Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Agoraphobia (Social Anxiety Disorder), or Panic Disorder with or without Agoraphobia.  However, since you seem to belong in the percentage of patients that receive significant antidepressant and pro-social effects from Phenibut, and because of Phenibut's rather unique pharmacology, suggesting any sort of alternative that will match the exact beneficial effects that you seem to receive from Phenibut, is actually very difficult, because of Phenibut's unique antidepressant mechanism(s)-of-action.

​As far as chemically related drugs that may address the anxiety you experience, Baclofen is a comparable GABA -B agonist in terms of affinity and agonistic strength, but it lacks the  α2δ Subunit-Containing Calcium Channel feedback mechanism that is responsible for the pre-synaptic dopamine release in the Parietal Lobe that is responsible for providing the antidepressant, anti-anhedonia, and pro-social effects that you are experiencing from Phenibut.  Likewise, other "gabapentinoid" drugs such as Gabapentin and Pregabalin, which also bind at α2δ Subunit-Containing Calcium Channels, are sometimes used to treat anxiety disorders because of their Ca2+ Channel inhibition, and because although they do not directly bind at GABA Receptors - they do enhance the action of GABA by increasing extracellular concentrations of GABA in various regions of the brain by producing a dose-dependent increase in L-Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase - an enzyme that bio-synthesizes GABA from the neurotransmitter Glutamate. These drugs also increase the synaptic density of the GABA Transporter Proteins, thereby enhancing the functional transport of GABA.  In fact, Pregabalin does this so effectively, that it is a controlled drug under Schedule 4 in the US (the same category that benzodiazepine drugs are categorized under).  Gabapentin is unregulated, rather weak milligram for milligram compared to Pregabalin, and is mostly used to treat neuropathic pain.  However, these other "gabapentinoid" drugs are really just rather sedating in their overall effects, and bind at different sites along the α2δ Subunit-Containing Calcium Channels than the binding sites that Phenibut binds to to elicit its pre-synaptic dopamine release that is responsible for the euphoric, antidepressant, and pro-social effects that you are experiencing from Phenibut.

Of course, there are other classes of drugs that are available for the treatment of the various symptoms of the conditions that you mnetioned in your original post, that would could probably start 5+ more threads on. However, since you asked about Phenibut specifically, and specifically asked about its regular use as a first-line, regular therapeutic treatment option for your anxiety and depression symptoms, I will lend my thoughts.  I personally take around 6000mg (6 grams) of Phenibut hydrochloride daily (though lately I have cut this dose down, as I have also been using Phenigabine - a Phenibut pro-drug developed by my team and I) and I have taken this dose for years.  Now, I will admit that 6000mgs is past the maximum dose that even I would recommend for 95% of people.  Some users dose twice daily, but I have always found that I only have to dose once in the morning to get a full day's worth of anxiety coverage. (Except for the rare occasion that I may have to take an additional 2g later in the evening). Many users who casually order Phenibut online, in an uncontrolled, reckless, and pseudo-medical manner, rapidly escalate their daily doses, chasing the euphoric and pro-social effects (which I will be honest, are the first effects to fade with regular use), as they chase some sort of a perceived "high". - (For anybody doing or thinking of doing this, please do not. Phenibut has absolutely no abuse potential, and does cause physical dependence with regular use). These are usually the same people who do not need to be taking Phenibut in the first place, and are usually the same idiots who wind up running out and discontinuing Phenibut abruptly, and are the very same individuals who post the horrific Phenibut withdrawal stories online.  Now, I will be the first to admit that Phenibut, as a GABA agonist, can indeed cause a very unpleasant withdrawal syndrome if discontinued too abruptly.  I tell people who make the jump to using Phenibut regularly that they have to be "all in" and committed to taking controlled and structured, regular daily doses - only as much as is needed to achieve its therapeutic effect, and only to dose as often as needed (for me, this is once daily).

Many posters fight me on this statement, but I believe (and in fact, I know) that Phenibut can be used regularly, even daily, if it is used in a structured and controlled setting (preferably under the supervision of somebody qualified, who can periodically judge your response to treatment. (Many people message me regularly, for this very purpose, and if you wish, you may also)) and is not discontinued abruptly - and discontinued on a slow and gradual taper if/when the time comes to stop Phenibut use. In the clinical trial settings that I oversaw patients taking Phenibut, related drugs, or Phenibut pro-drugs (meaning drugs that produce Phenibut as an active metabolite), upon the end of the studies, we gradually withdrew the Phenibut dose (or equivalent) by 10% every week, for ten weeks. (Note, that these were patients with diagnoses anxiety disorders, so our goal was to avoid any discontinuation syndrome at all; many patients could probably even withdraw a bit more rapidly than this). - Aside from two patients that I can recall during our pre-clinical trial for our Phenibut pro-drug Phenigabine (who simply experienced minor trouble falling asleep for a few nights), I have never encountered a patient with a (medically or emotionally) significantly hard time withdrawing, following this structured taper plan.  

Now, some posters advise using a benzodiazepine drug while tapering, as the action of the ionotropic GABA -A Receptor agonist will mask all of the withdrawal symptoms, plus the rebound anxiety that some experience, while not prolonging the withdrawal (as the metabotropic GABA -B Receptor that Phenibut acts on, will still be in a state of withdrawal, and will rapidly be re-up-regulating in the absense of Phenibut. - As the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors are indeed very different receptors, morphologically and bio-mechanically, than the ionotropic GABA -A Receptors that benzodiazepines act on).  Now, in some instances, involving patients who experience some degree of significant rebound anxiety during Phenibut withdrawal (which one shouldn't if they tapered correctly, anyway), then the temporary use of a low to moderate dose of a benzodiazepine with a long metabolic half-life, such as Diazepam, Clonazepam, (and even weaker benzos like Oxazepam, Tempazepam, and Flurazepam, etc) can be beneficial.  (I am partial to Clonazepam, if available, because of its strength and about perfect metabolic half-life and duration-of-action for withdrawal purposes).  However, I am always hesitant to recommend the benzodiazepine withdrawal method to casual posters on forums like this, since many have addictive personalities, and if using higher doses of benzodiazepines than required or for longer periods of time than required, then they are substituting a rather benign phenyl-substituted, metabotropic GABA -B Receptor agonist, for a MUCH more potent ionotropic GABA -A Receptor agonist - which produces a much more medically-significant withdrawal syndrome upon abrupt cessation of regular, long-term use.  What I don't like to hear, is patients getting into trouble with Phenibut, and then trying to withdrawal with a benzodiazepine, only to find out that they "like" the effects of the benzodiazepine drug more than the Phenibut, and substitute Phenibut dependence for a much more medically-significant physical dependency and potential psychological addiction.

So, I suppose my defining words on the topic of using Phenibut regularly, and using a benzodiazepine drug to ease withdrawals if/when it comes time to discontinue regular Phenibut use, is that it all comes down to self-control.  Only you truly know if you have the will-power to keep your daily Phenibut doses structured, and if you are able to use a benzodiazepine drug in the lowest effective dose, for the shortest necessary amount of time, to use it to ease Phenibut withdrawal if/when it comes time to discontinue Phenibut. (Personally, I have seen Phenibut and related drugs used in clinical settings by rather large numbers of patients for up to eight-month periods, and no benzodiazepine drugs were needed  during the cessation of Phenibut (or equivalent drug) treatment following our 10% dose reduction / every seven days taper regimen). - However, some patients do experience what is known as "rebound anxiety" during withdrawal, that sometimes surpasses the original anxiety that they started using Phenibut for in the first place.  In cases such as these, the short-term use of a low-moderate dose of a benzodiazepine with a long-duration of action and long metabolic-half-life (again, I am partial to Clonazepam if avail, but Diazepam (although weaker mg for mg) is another readily available benzo (in most places) with a long half-life), as long as it is taken in the smallest effective dose, for the shortest necessary amount of time.  (Again, I stand by the fact that no noteworthy rebound anxiety should occur following our taper regimen, but some people have trouble following the regimen, or simply refuse to try, in which cases the use of a benzodiazepine drug to keep the patient comfortable during Phenibut withdrawal may be necessary, in some cases).

So, in answer to your question(s), yes, Phenibut can be used regularly, and even daily if it is used in a consistent and controlled manner.  However, one thing that I should bring up to you is that, although Phenibut seems to retain its anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) action in most patients, long-term, the dopamine-mediated euphoric mood-lifting effects, and the pro-social effects are the first effects that begin to wane slightly with regular use.  For this reason, if you do decide to start a daily Phenibut dosing regimen, be sure to start with the smallest effective dose, and to dose only as frequently as needed (for me this is once daily, but some users dose twice daily).  Also, since it seems that you are using Phenibut primarily for it dopamine-influx-mediated antidepressant effects, I recommend that you occasionally keep in contact with somebody qualified and experienced, who can occasionally review your continued response to treatment - to determine when increases in dosage may be needed, and to evaluate whether or not continued use of Phenibut is really being all that beneficial or not. (If you wish, you can contact me if you wish, either here via private message (everybody does) or via our email at OracleLaboratories@gmail.com).

It really is baffling how often I am contacted specifically for this very topic - so much that I have decided to soon work on publishing a comprehensive guide to the use of Phenibut and other GABAergic drugs (including GABA -A agonists, like benzodiazepines), for the layman, that would answer a lot of the questions that I commonly repeat myself continually, to answer.

Although it may be a bit of a read, to sort through all of the posts, we addressed a lot of the very same questions regarding Phenibut and related drugs 
in the following thread, and some posters contributed some good information.  The thread is entitled "Baclofen: alternative for Phenibut ???".

http://www.longecity...e-for-phenibut/

(Also, there is a link in that thread to a sumarry publication on our novel GABA and Phenibut pro-drug, Phenigabine (the full publication is to be release within the next two months), which is no longer active. It can now be found at:  
http://oraclelaborat...-Submission.pdf ).

-John Gona
Neurobiologist,
Psychopharmacologist,
Psychotropic Treatment Specialist

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

Edited by Oracle Laboratories, 22 February 2017 - 07:16 PM.

• like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#54 Oracle Laboratories

• 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

Gallaxyshock is exactly correct.  While the ligand-mediated ion responses in ionotropic GABA -A Receptors and metabotropic GABA -B Receptors travel along the same chloride ion sub-channel (ChV1c), and some cross tolerance to the effects of GABA -B Receptor agonists and GABA -A Receptor agonists exist - meaning that, if you take benzodiazepines regularly, you may not feel the effects of Phenibut quite as dramatically (due to de-sensitization of that sub-channel).  However, morphologically, and bio-mechanically, in their signal funtioning, the ionotropic GABA -A Receptors and the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors are indeed very different receptors. - The only common apsect between them being that they both act as targets for the neurotransmitter GABA, and that they elicit an inhibitory reaction along the ChV1c Chloride ion channels within the receptors - causing an overall inhibitory action on neuronal structures along that pathway. (Which is how GABA calms, and helps to "balance-out" the activity of the other, excitatory (stimulating) monoamine neurotransmitters).

However, their respective ligand-binding and receptor signaling is quite different.  During the discontinuation of Phenibut, the metabotropic GABA -B Receptors will be in a state of withdrawal, as they begin rapidly up-regulating to their baseline sensitivity, in the absence of Phenibut.  The use of a benzodiazepine drug to aid in withdrawal will most certainly suppress almost all aspects of the GABA -B agonist Phenibut withdrawal, plus any additional "rebound anxiety" symptoms. However, the GABA -B Receptors will still be in a state of withdrawal, until they re-up-regulate back to their baseline sensitivity (before the initial use of Phenibut), so that the brain's endogenous GABA is once again enough to efficiently agonize these receptors, and they return to their baseline sensitivity, pre-Phenibut use.

-John Gona
 Neurobiologist,
 Psychopharmacologist,

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

Edited by Oracle Laboratories, 22 February 2017 - 07:12 PM.

• like x 1

#55 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

-John Gona

Neurobiologist,
Psychopharmacologist,

Oracle Laboratories
NeuroPsych Institute

Um, excuse me but considering your credentials: are you dumb? 

Everyone knows that anxiolytic drugs which mediate their effect by GABA, do only worsen anxiety disorders with regular use. Which is why none of them are prescribed against it by any credible professional, except if then only for serious panic attacks that may occur every few month or so.

Tolerance builds with any usage pattern, hence the exact opposite takes place when the drug is out of the system. The anxiolytic effect is completely lost when used constantly. Any other belief is necessarily a mirage, i.e. must be attributed to the active placebo effect. Not saying that this doesn't work against anxiety, as seen in treatment with SSRI. Just saying that there cannot be any causal relationship in observed effectiveness, other than that.

Though there *might* in theory be potential for limited use, to flat out brief periods of heightened anxiety, in effect what happens is that the patient overuses the drug in a preventative sense. Ultimately leading to worsening of the condition, if not even the addition of substance dependence disorder.

So how can you even promote GABA agonists for anxiety?

Edited by Aolministrator, 22 February 2017 - 09:19 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Agree x 1

#56 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

So, in answer to your question(s), yes, Phenibut can be used regularly, and even daily if it is used in a consistent and controlled manner.  However, one thing that I should bring up to you is that, although Phenibut seems to retain its anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) action in most patients, long-term, the dopamine-mediated euphoric mood-lifting effects, and the pro-social effects are the first effects that begin to wane slightly with regular use.  For this reason, if you do decide to start a daily Phenibut dosing regimen, be sure to start with the smallest effective dose, and to dose only as frequently as needed (for me this is once daily, but some users dose twice daily).  Also, since it seems that you are using Phenibut primarily for it dopamine-influx-mediated antidepressant effects, I recommend that you occasionally keep in contact with somebody qualified and experienced, who can occasionally review your continued response to treatment - to determine when increases in dosage may be needed, and to evaluate whether or not continued use of Phenibut is really being all that beneficial or not. (If you wish, you can contact me if you wish, either here via private message (everybody does) or via our email at OracleLaboratories@gmail.com).

Please, what "patients" are you even talking about? In which country is phenibut a legitimate medication? Surely not the one you and I come from.

All that we see online, is reports of people who at one point in their life faced anxiety problems, and seemingly cured it with phenibut. While continuing to show all signs of psychological dependence, in that they cannot let go of it and struggle with issues of tolerance. Many fail to permanently and truly stay away from it, and fail to consider, internalize and realize any other option, but taking phenibut again. They want to fix problems in their life, that are subjectively perceived and attributed by them to the emotion "anxiety" itself, and not the more complicated psychological or biological cause of it. Some people report of using phenibut against anxiety, who initially didn't even have actual anxiety problems, but thought of themselves as having them afterwards. All sorts of people, some severely disabled and some not mentally ill at all. Young people in their mid 20s who lack life experience, and simply speak exaggeratedly on the grounds of shyness, loneliness and insecurities of "anxiety problems". What do you know, how their anxiety would have resolved without it? Its all shockingly subjective, and obviously tainted in a perspective that nothing but praises the drug. How objectively reasonable, do you consider made statements to be?

Are those your "patients"?

For all that's reasonable and useful to know, Phenibut is simply a less recreational/addictive version of GHB. I have taken the drug, I know what it is. Have a look at GHB appraisal threads on Bluelight. Especially the early ones 10 years back, where it was still widely believed that GHB doesn't produce tolerance. See any parallels? You all have much to learn from recreational drug users, who already screwed their life with this kind of shit. Not just a little and subtly, but so profoundly it became impossible to deny.

Please, I hope to stand corrected.

Edited by Aolministrator, 22 February 2017 - 10:02 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#57 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:23 PM

Did you every try my 3 supplement anti-anxiety protocol? See this thread:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements! - Mental Health

N-acetyl-glucosamine is the star supplement in this protocol. I also found that N-acetyl-glucosamine helped a lot with my anxiety psychosis (when you get severe levels of generalized anxiety disorder, it can trigger some mild psychosis).

#58 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for al the great information. Oracle Laboratories' post is the most informative thing I have read to date about phenibut. I agree, I probable need a dopaminergic medication for most of my symptoms, so I made an appointment with a new psychiatrist to see if he is willing to prescribe me something else than SSRI's.

#59 AOLministrator

• 181 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

Bupropion is a stimulant sort of drug that is not easy to abuse, due to complicated pharmacodynamics. A very low dose would probably mimic the stimulant part of Phenibut well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 kt69

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:09 PM

Bupropion is a stimulant sort of drug that is not easy to abuse, due to complicated pharmacodynamics. A very low dose would probably mimic the stimulant part of Phenibut well.

Yes that looks like something that could help me but I've read that it can cause seizures. I wouldn't be comfortable taking that as I'm terrified of getting a seizure...

Edited by kt69, 27 February 2017 - 08:11 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phenibut, depression, anxiety, anhedonia, phenibut alternatives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users