• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Is supplementing potassium safe? Why are the pills capped at 100mg?

potassium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_supplementer_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

I don't get enough potassium from my diet (and I will not change what I eat due to long story), so I am considering supplementing potassium. Is it safe to supplement extra 2-3g? The supplements for some reason are capped at 100mg even though RDA is 4.7g... And if that's important, I did get around 4-5g at some point for a few weeks from my diet and felt okay.

Anyone with experiences and information to share? I want to order a bunch of minerals soon and I don't know what to do about potassium... :/

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Is it safe to supplement extra 2-3g? The supplements for some reason are capped at 100mg

The reason being is that concentrated potassium salts can damage the stomach wall. There are time-release potassium with higher doses on prescription available. Still for the mentioned reason I wouldn't risk.

The perfectly safe way is to get potassium bulk powders (potassium citrate, chloride, bicarbonate etc.) dissolved well in a glass of water taken spread out through the day. That way 2-3 g can't hurt.

Edited by pamojja, 18 April 2018 - 08:13 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guest_supplementer_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

The reason being is that concentrated potassium salts can damage the stomach wall. There are time-release potassium with higher doses on prescription available. Still for the mentioned reason I wouldn't risk.

The perfectly safe way is to get potassium bulk powders (potassium citrate, chloride, bicarbonate etc.) dissolved well in a glass of water taken spread out through the day. That way 2-3 g can't hurt.

I eat two meals a day, would it help if I took 1-1.5g mixed into each meal instead? The absorption is better with meals as far as I know.

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

Crystalline powders dissolve only in liquids. Therefore I would only drink it well dissolved, if you want while taking a meal. Why you think potassium is better absorbed with a meal? That isn't my experience. By they way, I get about 4.2 g/d from diet, but need an other 1.3 g/d of elemental potassium supplemented to stay at healthy levels.

#5 Guest_supplementer_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Crystalline powders dissolve only in liquids. Therefore I would only drink it well dissolved, if you want while taking a meal. Why you think potassium is better absorbed with a meal? That isn't my experience. By they way, I get about 4.2 g/d from diet, but need an other 1.3 g/d of elemental potassium supplemented to stay at healthy levels.

I'm actually not sure why... I thought I had a note about it but I don't, so I honestly don't know why and I'll trust your experience instead. :)

In that case, I can drink Potassium throughout the day, adding it to my teas - I drink a lot of tea. Thanks for the tips!

#6 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

You might want to keep an eye on your Sodium intake. My understanding is that higher K intake can lead the body to excrete more Sodium due to trying to balance. Maybe make sure to get enough fluids. When I took high doses of Potassium Bicarbonate, I ended below the low range for Sodium. I did just look back, and since 2014 with 4 tests, it has been just above the low. Just something to think about. If I had to ask one person about it, it would be pamojja, so you got good advice.

Edited by Heisok, 19 April 2018 - 01:07 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#7 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

I supplement on the powder, but it is incredibly gross in water. So I dissolve what I want in a tiny bit of water so it's gone in 1-2 sips. Then wash down the after taste with a full glass of water.

There's also a salt that I buy called 'lite salt'. Instead of just being sodium chloride it is a 50/50 mix of sodium and potassium chloride. Better than nothing I guess.

To get potassium in the recommended amounts you need to eat a ridiculous amount of nutritious food. Or eat a lot of potatoes. But since I'm not too much a fan of potatoes, the powder works well

#8 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Potassium powders go well with a bid of ascorbic acid powder to mask the taste.

When I took high doses of Potassium Bicarbonate, I ended below the low range for Sodium. I did just look back, and since 2014 with 4 tests, it has been just above the low. Just something to think about.

Forget to mention, thanks for bringing it up. I supplement about equal amounts of potassium, sodium and magnesium. Seem to have a very high need for them all. Also sodium levels usually go down with lower carb-intake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potassium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users