• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Which multivitamin do you take

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

Poll: Which multivitamin do you take (330 member(s) have cast votes)

Which multivitamin do you take

1. AOR Ortho-Core (80 votes [24.77%])

Percentage of vote: 24.77%

2. Life Extension Mix (49 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

3. Now Foods ADAM or EVE (38 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. NSI Synergy range (10 votes [3.10%])

Percentage of vote: 3.10%

5. Perque Lifegueard (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Optimum Nutrition Opti multivitamin (7 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

7. Pioneer 1+ (4 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

8. Multivit-Rx (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Dr. Weil's Multi's (2 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. Other (133 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

So what does ADAM or the other top ones have that what I use don't, and why is it important?

(Now Foods Vit-Min 75+)
http://www.bulknutri...products_id=483

#32 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:28 AM

(Now Foods Vit-Min 75+)

This vitamin contains iron, which adult males should never supplement unless known to be anemic.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

I use the LEF mix simply because its far easier to obtain here than Ortho-Core.

Edited by basho, 21 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#34 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

(Now Foods Vit-Min 75+)

This vitamin contains iron, which adult males should never supplement unless known to be anemic.

Can you elaborate?

#35 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

(Now Foods Vit-Min 75+)

Can you elaborate?

There has been much discussion of this in this forum, just search around. Here are some threads to get you started:

Iron
Is iron harmful?
Ironing out memory loss?

#36 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

(Now Foods Vit-Min 75+)

Can you elaborate?

There has been much discussion of this in this forum, just search around. Here are some threads to get you started:

Iron
Is iron harmful?
Ironing out memory loss?

Thank you, I see. This product only has little Iron, but I guess I'll be ordering the Iron-free version when my bottle runs out. http://www.bulknutri...products_id=703
Well, unless I am convinced it's time to switch products altogether. :)

#37 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

Ok a few things:

1. Vitamin C enchances iron absorption. So a multi with iron and C in it will increase the absorption of that iron.

2. Randomly take a look at the foods you eat on a daily basis. You will notice that a lot of grain/what products have iron content or are fortified with content. Many other foods are high in iron as well. I did this when I first got into nutrition and supplements and realized that before I even took the multi I was taking into consideration, I was regularly getting 200-300% of the amount of daily iron I needed from diet alone, then was adding in another 100% from my multi at the time.

ANY and I mean ANY iron content is bad if you arent anemic. Any iron you have outside of what you need for red cell production is bad news.

#38 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:13 AM

New Chapter's Every Man

I like the fact that it's cultured organic whole food.

#39 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

New Chapter's Every Man

I like the fact that it's cultured organic whole food.

its synthetic isolates.. just like every other vitamin out there.

they culture isolated vitamins in yeast & bacteria, and the yeast consume the vitamins & then they enzymatically break down the yeast cell wall... leaving a protein bound isolate.

its not exactly how vitamins are found in nature, but anecdotally they have slightly better absorbtion and longer retention.

the idea that vitamins in pill form are 'culture food' exactly as they are found in nature, is a fallacy

#40 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

My pharmacist makes mine. I love it when I can decide the exact composition of my supplements.

#41 psychenaut

• Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

Those preferring AOR's Essential Mix without Sucralose, I have it in stock, FYI.

Essential Mix w/o Sucrolose (unsweetened)
Essential Mix w/Sucralose(sweetened)

On sale as well, be sure to see the quantity discounts.

#42 ageless

• 219 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

The new Ortho Core!

#43 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:10 AM

I am shocked to see AOR out of all companies to offer a product which contains Splenda aka sucralose.

I think I've just lost all respect for AOR.

#44 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:45 AM

I'm taking Nature's way !Alive I was thinking of switching to another vitamin since it has low dosage of iron :( Iron (from spirulina, calcium citrate/carbonate) 800 mcg 4% Even tho its the no iron version.

Thinking of switching to this multiple: Super Nutrition, Perfect Blend, Iron Free.

Edited by senseix, 25 December 2007 - 06:46 AM.

#45 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

I am shocked to see AOR out of all companies to offer a product which contains Splenda aka sucralose.

I think I've just lost all respect for AOR.

CSPI gives sucralose a "green light" FWIW.

#46 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

Blood iron levels are irrelevant to iron status. To really know your blood levels of iron a ferritin test is needed. Ferritin is a protein that hides iron. Iron is handled very carefully by the body to prevent free-radical damage when the iron molecule is released. Much of the damage from a heart attack is caused by damage to ferritin which then releases its reactive load of stored iron. But you don't need a dramatic event like a heart attack to suffer. Even sitting on your butt in an airplane can reduce the blood supply and when you get up a reperfusion injury will release iron free radicals from its previously safe storage in ferritin.

Labcorp has a ferritin normal reference range of 22- 322. If your ferritin level is over 100 you should consider donating blood(Dr Eadeses-Protein Power LifePlan). Each unit of blood should, conservatively in theory, reduce your iron stores by about 20 to 25. If you are impatient donate two units by apheresis (double-red) in one slightly longer visit.

Neat side benefits of apheresis is that you will get a chance to see your plasma before it is returned to your body. And the Red Cross also gives you a free total cholesterol test. Milky white plasma indicates small, dense, oxidized and dangerous LDL, and clear plasma is the large fluffy safe kind of LDL. My total cholesterol was 250, but being clear, I knew that my LDL was healthy. Thank goodness, I have finally found a doctor who doesn't focus on cholesterol tests only, and considered the opposing evidence, my heart xrays, carotid sonogram, and electrocardiograms. So finally, I am not refusing medical advice about statins.

#47 MP11

• 121 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I'm currently taking animal pak but might switch to ortho-core.

For those who take ortho-core, does each pill serve a different purpose (1 pill for B, 1 for D, etc) or are they all the same?

Also, for those with a good knowledge of vitamins and how they interact, do you see any potential problems with animal pak?
(http://www.bodybuild.../animalpak.html) Thanks.

Edit: added this after a few people already replied, don't know how I forgot to mention this. I only take 1/2 of the serving (one pack).

Edited by mp11, 26 December 2007 - 09:31 AM.

#48 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

For those who take ortho-core, does each pill serve a different purpose (1 pill for B, 1 for D, etc) or are they all the same?

Also, for those with a good knowledge of vitamins and how they interact, do you see any potential problems with animal pak?

Ortho Core is blended.

Animal Pak is nothing but a joke played on their customers. Too much preformed vitamin A, wrong form of D, only alpha E, niacinamide, too much calcium, crummy forms of magnesium and selenium, and cosmetic doses of many things. Liver is bad for you (PMID: 11700269, 10342801). The essential fatty acid mix is an insult: omega 6 (diet provides plenty) and 9 (not even essential), but no omega 3.

#49 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:10 AM

animal pack is garbage.. throw it away

#50 rhc124

• 62 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

I also am looking for a new multi. The Ortho Core looks good but I have concerns about the high B3 content and its effects on sirt1. According to the label it has 115mg in the form of Inositol Hexanicotinate. Does this form inhibit sirt1 like niacinamide?

#51 MP11

• 121 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

My pharmacist makes mine. I love it when I can decide the exact composition of my supplements.

How'd you go about getting that done?

#52 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

I also am looking for a new multi. The Ortho Core looks good but I have concerns about the high B3 content and its effects on sirt1. According to the label it has 115mg in the form of Inositol Hexanicotinate. Does this form inhibit sirt1 like niacinamide?

It is not known to, but then I don't know that anyone has tested for it. Niacin does not inhibit the SirT1.

#53 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

How'd you go about getting that done?

Simply, I asked him. But he knows me. I have bought very strange things there in the past years.
In the past (I haven’t any time for it now day’s) I carried out chemical experiments at home. There aren't many people who do this. So, asking to make pills on my recipe wasn't the first strange thing that I asked.

#54 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

Ok a few things:

1. Vitamin C enchances iron absorption. So a multi with iron and C in it will increase the absorption of that iron.

2. Randomly take a look at the foods you eat on a daily basis. You will notice that a lot of grain/what products have iron content or are fortified with content. Many other foods are high in iron as well. I did this when I first got into nutrition and supplements and realized that before I even took the multi I was taking into consideration, I was regularly getting 200-300% of the amount of daily iron I needed from diet alone, then was adding in another 100% from my multi at the time.

ANY and I mean ANY iron content is bad if you arent anemic. Any iron you have outside of what you need for red cell production is bad news.

agreed... the body's ability to absorb and retain iron is just amazing.

i had blood work done a few years ago... at the time i was taking no supplements at all. im also a vegetarian and never make any attempt to get extra iron in my diet... and my iron/ferritin levels came back perfect

#55 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

Slightly off-topic, but...

CSPI gives sucralose a "green light" FWIW.

CSPI is a group in serious need of a reputation overhaul. I've been losing confidence in their statements for years, but their recent campaign against salt has really destroyed their credibility in my eyes.

CSPI is also on a crusade against salt, using stunningly bad science to back up their assertions. Despite the fact that nearly removing sodium from the diet can only reduce blood pressure by 4-6%, CSPT asserts that salt is a leading cause of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. Their logic is that salt causes increased blood pressure, which is a primary cause of everything else. If I needed to reduce my blood pressure from 145 over 110 to 115 over 75, I'd be looking for more than the expected 6% decrease from cutting sodium out of my diet.

Lose weight (I found carb restriction the most effective lifestyle change to reduce weight). Since high insulin levels cause your kidneys to retain sodium, reduce your chronic insulin levels (carb restriction will also do this for you). Increase Vitamin D3 levels and EPA/DHA fatty acid intake. Reduce other inflammation markers like homocyestine (increase folic acid, B6, and B12 intake). These are actual means of permanently reducing blood pressure from dangerous levels down to the normal range.

Mmmm... Liver and onions. Pass the salt, please :p

#56 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

I voted other. For many years I have taken the Life Extension Mix. I recently switched to XTendLife Total Balance Men's Plus. I also take Source Natural's Advanced One Multiple. This is an inexpensive "one a day" with a comprehensive formula.

#57 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

I voted other. For many years I have taken the Life Extension Mix. I recently switched to XTendLife Total Balance Men's Plus. I also take Source Natural's Advanced One Multiple. This is an inexpensive "one a day" with a comprehensive formula.

that xtendlife multi is strange

enteric coating? .. pointless, perhaps not good
bioperine..not good
myrrh..not good
dmae.. not good

and the source natural multi has
10,000iu of retinol... which is WAY too much
bioperine... not good

Edited by ajnast4r, 04 January 2008 - 02:58 PM.

#58 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:11 AM

that xtendlife multi is strange

enteric coating? .. pointless, perhaps not good
bioperine..not good
myrrh..not good
dmae.. not good

and the source natural multi has
10,000iu of retinol... which is WAY too much
bioperine... not good

The Source Natural's One a Day does contain 10000 IU Vitamin A Palmitate but I don't take that every day.
Why is Myrrh not good?
Bioperine is common in many supplements including LEF formulas. It does seem the sum total of many different pills could be too much.
The enteric coating (if works as advertised) works for me because I don't take pills with meals. I only have one meal a day plus some popcorn or an occasional hard boiled egg. (Vegetarian fed happy chicken).
Thanks for the input. Will do more research.

Edited by Alien65, 05 January 2008 - 04:39 AM.

#59 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:48 AM

The Source Natural's One a Day does contain 10000 IU Vitamin A Palmitate but I don't take that every day.
Why is Myrrh not good?
Bioperine is common in many supplements including LEF formulas. It does seem the sum total of many different pills could be too much.
The enteric coating (if works as advertised) works for me because I don't take pills with meals. I only have one meal a day plus some popcorn or an occasional hard boiled egg. (Vegetarian fed happy chicken).

myrrh contains guggulsterones, which i believe effect thyroid function... not something you wanna take every day

bioperine inhibits cp430, REALLY not good. the only lef formula that i know of that contains bioperine is their curcumin, and they are phasing that out for a new one.

i do believe a certain number of vitamins and minerals need to be exposed to stomach acid... and beyond that there are other benefits to taking vitamins with food.

one meal a day? there is no way you could survive (in health) for any extended period of time only eating once a day. you might wanna think about re-evaluating your dietary habits instead of looking at supplementation...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

Why is Myrrh not good?

myrrh contains guggulsterones, which i believe effect thyroid function... not something you wanna take every day

bioperine inhibits cp430, REALLY not good. the only lef formula that i know of that contains bioperine is their curcumin, and they are phasing that out for a new one.

i do believe a certain number of vitamins and minerals need to be exposed to stomach acid... and beyond that there are other benefits to taking vitamins with food.

one meal a day? there is no way you could survive (in health) for any extended period of time only eating once a day. you might wanna think about re-evaluating your dietary habits instead of looking at supplementation...

I have been eating 1 meal a day on average for over 35 years. (Certainly there were exceptions) I am 65 years old and in very good health. Unlike most people my age, I am on no prescription drugs, have a full head of hair (50% grey), no pot pelly, no jowls, stamina to program computers for 10 hours a day (if I'm really interested) and very few wrinkles. My life style would be considered bizarre by most. I take supplements all day with coffee (at least 15-20 cups a day).
In the evening I switch to Brandy Manhattans (Resveratrol?). I also smoke 3 to 4 packs of cigarettes a day.
My Dad is 96 and in better shape than most 80 year olds so I may be gifted with good genes. Because my work has allowed me to telecomute and I remained single (except for being a sugar daddy to young disfunctional women) I ate when I was hungry and slept when I was tired. I was forced to work in an office for a year with normal business hours and it really dragged me down because I would eat lunch and dinner. I gained weight and felt crappy and hated waking up to an alarm clock.
So what I've done so far works for me. Not that I recommend my life style to every one.
But thanks for your concern.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users