• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Which multivitamin do you take

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

Poll: Which multivitamin do you take (330 member(s) have cast votes)

Which multivitamin do you take

1. AOR Ortho-Core (80 votes [24.77%])

Percentage of vote: 24.77%

2. Life Extension Mix (49 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

3. Now Foods ADAM or EVE (38 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. NSI Synergy range (10 votes [3.10%])

Percentage of vote: 3.10%

5. Perque Lifegueard (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Optimum Nutrition Opti multivitamin (7 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

7. Pioneer 1+ (4 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

8. Multivit-Rx (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Dr. Weil's Multi's (2 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. Other (133 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

I have been eating 1 meal a day on average for over 35 years. (Certainly there were exceptions) I am 65 years old and in very good health. Unlike most people my age, I am on no prescription drugs, have a full head of hair (50% grey), no pot pelly, no jowls, stamina to program computers for 10 hours a day (if I'm really interested) and very few wrinkles. My life style would be considered bizarre by most. I take supplements all day with coffee (at least 15-20 cups a day).
In the evening I switch to Brandy Manhattans (Resveratrol?). I also smoke 3 to 4 packs of cigarettes a day.
My Dad is 96 and in better shape than most 80 year olds so I may be gifted with good genes. Because my work has allowed me to telecomute and I remained single (except for being a sugar daddy to young disfunctional women) I ate when I was hungry and slept when I was tired. I was forced to work in an office for a year with normal business hours and it really dragged me down because I would eat lunch and dinner. I gained weight and felt crappy and hated waking up to an alarm clock.
So what I've done so far works for me. Not that I recommend my life style to every one.
But thanks for your concern.

well if you are being truthful, and not already unknowingly dying of cancer... then you are a genetic freak and im jealous! 4 packs of cigs a day, thats CRAZY... thats like 1 cig and hour 24 hours a day! it amazing to me that the cancer isnt exploding out of your chest like a baby alien and typing these messages for you!

1 meal + 20 cups of coffee + 4 packs of cigs + brandy manhattans is apparently the formula for a long healthy life... haha

Edited by ajnast4r, 05 January 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#62 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

I have been eating 1 meal a day on average for over 35 years. (Certainly there were exceptions) I am 65 years old and in very good health. Unlike most people my age, I am on no prescription drugs, have a full head of hair (50% grey), no pot pelly, no jowls, stamina to program computers for 10 hours a day (if I'm really interested) and very few wrinkles. My life style would be considered bizarre by most. I take supplements all day with coffee (at least 15-20 cups a day).
In the evening I switch to Brandy Manhattans (Resveratrol?). I also smoke 3 to 4 packs of cigarettes a day.
My Dad is 96 and in better shape than most 80 year olds so I may be gifted with good genes. Because my work has allowed me to telecomute and I remained single (except for being a sugar daddy to young disfunctional women) I ate when I was hungry and slept when I was tired. I was forced to work in an office for a year with normal business hours and it really dragged me down because I would eat lunch and dinner. I gained weight and felt crappy and hated waking up to an alarm clock.
So what I've done so far works for me. Not that I recommend my life style to every one.
But thanks for your concern.

well if you are being truthful, and not already unknowingly dying of cancer... then you are a genetic freak and im jealous! 4 packs of cigs a day, thats CRAZY... thats like 1 cig and hour 24 hours a day! it amazing to me that the cancer isnt exploding out of your chest like a baby alien and typing these messages for you!

1 meal + 20 cups of coffee + 4 packs of cigs + brandy manhattans is apparently the formula for a long healthy life... haha

When you put it that way, it does seem kind of scary. I am being truthful but here is some additional info:

Smoking - I smoke cigarettes like people do cigars (I try not to inhale). When working, most of the cig burns off in an ashtray next to an air cleaner so I may smoke less than the number of cigarettes would indicate.

Coffee - I tend to make it weak and keep it fresh which does provide some of the antioxidant benefits of Green Tea. That fact that I am constantly drinking all day is a positive because of the amount of water I consume. (filtered).

Brandy and Sweet Vermouth - probably the most beneficial liquors next to red wine in terms of resveratrol. I pace myself when drinking and stop when I start to feel intoxicated.

Meals - I am a vegetarian but I eat fish, cheese occasionally and happy chicken eggs. I typically wake up about 10 am. I may have a snack of a hard boiled egg or english muffin with honey around 2 pm. On other days, I may have popcorn around 4 pm. I cook my meal around 9 pm (again politically incorrect). My staples are baked fish, tons of vegetables, brown rice and whole wheat or rice pasta.
I also keep a large can of mixed nuts next to my chair. I probably eat a good handful every day.

Supplements - I start my day with 3 gm of Maca and 1 gm of Royal Jelly. Throughout the day I take other supplements including oils like Black Currant, Flax Seed and Pumpkin to help absorption of fat soluable nutrients.

Exercise - I have an inversion table that hangs me upside down for 30 minutes a day. While inverted, I exercise with light weight dumb bells.

Bottom line is that I feel pretty good. But then that "Alien" could rip out of my chest any day and end it all.

Thanks for the posts

Edited by Alien65, 05 January 2008 - 07:56 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:38 AM

i wasnt trying to chastise your lifestyle... i was just making a funny :)

as far as cigs go, if you dont inhale youll just get mouth cancer.. and 1/4 pack a day is enough to do it. im sure youve heard this a million times so im not gonna push it :)

i love coffee, if i could tolerate it i would drink 20 cups a day too lol... interesting about brandy, i didnt know liquors other than wine actually contained resv

#64 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

i wasnt trying to chastise your lifestyle... i was just making a funny :)

as far as cigs go, if you dont inhale youll just get mouth cancer.. and 1/4 pack a day is enough to do it. im sure youve heard this a million times so im not gonna push it :)

i love coffee, if i could tolerate it i would drink 20 cups a day too lol... interesting about brandy, i didnt know liquors other than wine actually contained resv

Thanks for the conversation my friend. I see you are also a vegetarian and into body building. In my twenties I looked like a Greek God. Then I met this girl, started playing in a rock band, full time job, school, etc.. But I still do a little and will be watching out for your posts.

#65 jackj

• 62 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:33 AM

I take .. "Swisse Men's Ultivite Multi-vitamin Mineral and Antioxidant formula with Herbs has been developed for Men by a professor, based on 20 years of research, to assist in peak performance and well-being. It is based on clinical potencies and contains over 50 vitamins, minerals and herbs including B complex vitamins, zinc, saw palmetto and damiana. It also contains antioxidants and stamina nutrients like ginseng. The herbs may assist with improving stress adaptation, relieving stress, nervous tension, and mild anxiety. One of the necessities for good health is to provide the body with all the important vitamins and minerals it requires to develop, and function properly. One of the reasons we may suffer from the symptoms of tiredness and general illness may be related to nutritional deficiencies. If you provide the body with the important nutrients necessary for the well-being, in many cases you'll alleviate the problem. That's where the Swisse Men's Ultivite has been so successful. The formula also contains Betanoids, a natural carotenoids complex incorporating betacarotene, alpha-carotene, lutein, cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and lycopene to maximize the antioxidant effect. Antioxidants assist in protecting our body from harmful free radical damage. The The Swisse formula contains effective, clinical potencies of many nutrients, so in most cases it's not necessary to take additional supplements unless your practitioner recommends otherwise. Swisse Men's Ultivite is a one-a-day formula available in tablets, (and capsules, for ease of swallowing - 2 per day because of their limited capacity - go back to order separately).

DNHP's Naturopathic team recommend Ultivite as the "Best Quality Multivitamin On The Market"

What is in it?
Standardised Dunaliella Salina (Carotenoids/Betacarotene)
Standardised Vitis Vinifera (Grape Seed)
Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3)
D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acid Succinate (Vitamin E)
Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1)
Riboflavine (Vitamin B2)
Nicotinamide (Vitamin B3)
Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5)
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6)
Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)
Biotin
Folic Acid
Calcium Ascorbate Dihydrate (Vitamin C)
Choline Bitartrate
Inositol
Bioflavonoids
Lysine Hydrochloride
Tyrosine
Calcium Citrate
Magnesium Oxide
Potassium Sulfate
Ferrous Fumarate (Iron)
Chromium Picolinate
Manganese Amino Acid Chelate
Copper Gluconate
Potassium Iodide
Zinc Amino Acid Chelate
Spearmint Oil
Selenomethionine
Carica Papaya
Ubidecarenone
Fruit (Papaya)
Petroselinum Crispum Herb (Parsley)
Berberis Vulgaris Root (Barberry)
Foeniculum Vulgare Fruit (Fennel)
Equisetum Arvense Stem (Horsetail)
Apium Graveolens Seed (Celery)
Zingiber Officinale Root (Ginger)
Barosma Betulina Leaf (Buchu)
Turnera Diffusa Leaf (Damiana)
Astragalus Membranaceus Root (Milk Vetch)
Centella Asiatica Herb (Gotu Kola)
Crataegus Monogyna Fruit (Hawthorn)
Smilax Officinalis Root (Sarsparilla)
Avena Sativa Herb (Common Oat)
Cynara Scolymus Leaf (Globe Artichoke)
Silybum Marianum Dry Fruit (St. Mary's Thistle)
Panax Ginseng Dry Root (Korean White Ginseng)
Ginkgo Biloba Dry Leaf (Maidenhair Tree)
Vaccinium Myrtillus Fresh Fruit (Bilberry)
Serenoa Serrulata Dry Seed (Saw Palmetto)
Camellia Sinensis Dry Leaf(Green Tea)
Lycopersicon Esculentum Dry Fruit (Tomato)
Tagetes Erecta Dry Flower (Aztec Marigold)"

I usually take it before bed and wake up feeling good about the day. Did give me a bit of gas in the beginning though :)

#66 storm

• 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

Alive!

#67 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Here is a "scavenger hunt" of sorts for anyone who wants to take up the challenge... Find a multivitamin (besides AOR formulas and Supernutrition Perfect Blend) that doesn't contain Niacinamide/Nicotinamide in it as their form of B3 not even a little (i.e. some have say 40% niacinamide and 60% Inositol hexanicotinate). I have looked and looked and looked but the above two brands are the only that I can find.

Currently I take SuperNutrition Perfect Blend. I Like AOR Ortho Core better accept for me personally the B vitamin amounts are low and I would have to add in a good b vitamin complex to get them where I want them and that plus AOR price tag makes it just too expensive along with everything else I am taking. I like SuperNutrition's Perfect Blend but as someone else mentioned they do need to update the formula to reflect current research. It was good for a few years ago and I think adequate now but could be much better.

I like Now formulas and a few others but again they have Niacinamide which is a very potent inhibitor of Sirtuins, which in my book is like canceling out my Resveratrol, ie not good.

note: Anyone interested in eliminating Niacinamide from their diet should first start by eliminating all breakfast cereals accept for some of the Organic varieties (not that I care about organic, only that these are the only ones that have not succumbed to governments recommendations with regards to "fortifying")

Also look at things like Powerade and anything fortified with B-vitamins, including sports bars, drinks and even some protein shakes. If you want to be very militant then also become a vegetarian because Niacinamide/Nicotinamide is the verion of B3 that comes from animals. I'm not there yet, I still eat meat, though not a lot.

Edited by edward, 27 January 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#68 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Here is a "scavenger hunt" of sorts for anyone who wants to take up the challenge... Find a multivitamin (besides AOR formulas and Supernutrition Perfect Blend) that doesn't contain Niacinamide/Nicotinamide in it as their form of B3 not even a little (i.e. some have say 40% niacinamide and 60% Inositol hexanicotinate). I have looked and looked and looked but the above two brands are the only that I can find.

Currently I take SuperNutrition Perfect Blend. I Like AOR Ortho Core better accept for me personally the B vitamin amounts are low and I would have to add in a good b vitamin complex to get them where I want them and that plus AOR price tag makes it just too expensive along with everything else I am taking. I like SuperNutrition's Perfect Blend but as someone else mentioned they do need to update the formula to reflect current research. It was good for a few years ago and I think adequate now but could be much better.

I like Now formulas and a few others but again they have Niacinamide which is a very potent inhibitor of Sirtuins, which in my book is like canceling out my Resveratrol, ie not good.

note: Anyone interested in eliminating Niacinamide from their diet should first start by eliminating all breakfast cereals accept for some of the Organic varieties (not that I care about organic, only that these are the only ones that have not succumbed to governments recommendations with regards to "fortifying")

Also look at things like Powerade and anything fortified with B-vitamins, including sports bars, drinks and even some protein shakes. If you want to be very militant then also become a vegetarian because Niacinamide/Nicotinamide is the verion of B3 that comes from animals. I'm not there yet, I still eat meat, though not a lot.

AOR Multi-Basics 3! (what do I win? ) :)

I'm actually biting the bullet and taking 1/2 dose of ortho-core (I guess I bought into mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols instead of a megadose of alpha tocopherol). The B vitamin dosages really aren't that bad (some are high and some are low, apparently by design). It also has some nice goodies such as: astaxanthin, sulphoraphane, chloraphyllin

#69 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

Maybe New Chapter's Every Man multis? They just list 'Niacin', but I think they sorta combine niacin with brewer's yeast, so maybe you'd need to check what form they are putting in there. Not really sure...

#70 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

AOR Multi-Basics 3! (what do I win? ) :)

I'm actually biting the bullet and taking 1/2 dose of ortho-core (I guess I bought into mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols instead of a megadose of alpha tocopherol). The B vitamin dosages really aren't that bad (some are high and some are low, apparently by design). It also has some nice goodies such as: astaxanthin, sulphoraphane, chloraphyllin

Ha ha... Yeah I looked into AOR Multi Basics 3 and with it too I would have to add in some Bs from what I have found works well with me and yes it would be cheaper. But there are things about Multi Basics 3 that I don't like. They don't seem to update it like they do Ortho Core. For instance they still have cyanocobalamin as their form of B-12 unlike the Methyl B-12 they have in Ortho Core.

Maybe New Chapter's Every Man multis? They just list 'Niacin', but I think they sorta combine niacin with brewer's yeast, so maybe you'd need to check what form they are putting in there. Not really sure...

The New Chapter products look interesting but they don't tell you what form of any of the nutrients are in them. IE what kind of Niacin, what kind of B12 etc etc. I am not sure I buy into their whole "Nutrients are cultured in organic media", I mean what exactly does this mean, they add nutrients into a probiotic culture and let it sit for a few days, hope the little bacteria suck up the nutrients and spit out better forms, or are these bacteria actually producing all of these nutrients (sorry I don't think they have that technology). I might call them one day and get some clarification on all this.

#71 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:10 AM

Ha ha... Yeah I looked into AOR Multi Basics 3 and with it too I would have to add in some Bs from what I have found works well with me and yes it would be cheaper. But there are things about Multi Basics 3 that I don't like. They don't seem to update it like they do Ortho Core. For instance they still have cyanocobalamin as their form of B-12 unlike the Methyl B-12 they have in Ortho Core.

what else dont you like about multibasics?

• Lurker

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

I could be wrong, but from the product information AOR's multivitamins seem to be in a powdered form inside a capsule. I have read anecdotal reports stating certain vitamins like D3, K2 and Gamma Tocopherol/Tocotrienol are better absorbed when they are in an oil-based gel form.

#73 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:32 AM

I could be wrong, but from the product information AOR's multivitamins seem to be in a powdered form inside a capsule. I have read anecdotal reports stating certain vitamins like D3, K2 and Gamma Tocopherol/Tocotrienol are better absorbed when they are in an oil-based gel form.

they have lipid carriers.. makes no difference.

#74 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

I just started Now Foods Adam, if I had more $ I'd take one of AOR's mixtures.

#75 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

Anyone have thoughts on whether AOR ortho-core covers all of the B vitamins without need of further supplementation?

Stephen

#76 mark40511

• 15 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

I take Country Life mens multi. What do you guys think about that? I have always wondered about the iron levels in supplements; especially when it comes to chlorella. I know its considered a food, but its so rich in iron I'm always paranoid about it.

#77 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

i found a few good multis that havent been mentioned here before... looks like companies are starting to get things right finally.

alpha base by orthomolecular products.

Posted Image

vitomegaman by futurebiotics

Posted Image

#78 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

Just switched to NOW ADAM from Core because of the price, and the ease of getting my stuff from one supplier.

#79 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

Just switched to NOW ADAM from Core because of the price, and the ease of getting my stuff from one supplier.

WOW! $10.00 for a month's supply of Adam? That's a good multi especially considering the price. There are only a few minor quibbles I have w/ the product.

-Brian

#80 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Another one for AOR Essential Mix.

#81 t234

• 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

Dr Mercola's Whole Food Multi for me.

#82 mark40511

• 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:50 AM

Did I see on consumerlabs that ADAM failed? I use to take that until I read that. Any comments on that? I'm sort of a rookie at taking supps.

#83 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

It's not a whole food supplment. It is a synthetic supplment w/ a small amount of whole foods added. The product is overpriced, IMHO.

-Brian

#84 E.T.

• 183 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:51 AM

I just started using LEF Mix

#85 Benedictus

• 60 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

My pharmacist makes mine. I love it when I can decide the exact composition of my supplements.

Which pharmacist is that? You think one exists in Amsterdam, NL, too?

#86 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Did I see on consumerlabs that ADAM failed? I use to take that until I read that. Any comments on that? I'm sort of a rookie at taking supps.

Where did you see that? I'm considering getting it.

Edited by Spiral Architect, 13 April 2008 - 03:43 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Where did you see that? I'm considering getting it.

Now Adam failed due to following reasons:

1. Now® Adam™ Superior Men's Multi failed to break apart properly, taking 40 minutes to disintegrate rather than the 30 minutes set by the USP.

2. Above UL for niacin.

#88 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

For those who take the "Core", especially those at a 2/3 does, do you also supplement with extra ALA, CoQ10, pom, etc? I've also been wary of NAC because of a one or two negative studies. Is everyone here still comfortable with NAC?

I do. I get r-ALA from LEF's mitochondrial energy optimizer, CoQ10 as ubiquinol from the Jarrow product, and instead of NAC I take whey protein for the cysteine and I mix some pomegranate extract into that. I'd rather AOR didn't put NAC into ortho-core, but most people here at least seem to think it's not too much.

Stephen

#89 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

I hate how nearly every fricking multivitamin and b-complex uses niacinamide!!!

What options are available for a niacinamide-free multi or b-complex beside the ones below?

Here is my list:

Multi's:
Ortho Core
Multi Basics 3
SuperNutrition Perfect Blend.

B complex:
Country Life Coenzyme B-complex

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

I know there have been posts asking what is the "best" multivitamin but I do not think that there has been a poll asking what multivitamin people take.

So just for the record vote for the multivitamin that you take and if you have time to justify your choice do so.

Hopefully this poll will help newcomers and curious members choose a multivitamin that suits their needs and budget.

EDIT: Bummer I forgot to add Source Naturals Life Force Multi.

Other is the largest category. (36% at this point). I wonder how many "others" are Custom Capsule. That's my favorite choice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users