• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Which multivitamin do you take

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

Poll: Which multivitamin do you take (330 member(s) have cast votes)

Which multivitamin do you take

1. AOR Ortho-Core (80 votes [24.77%])

Percentage of vote: 24.77%

2. Life Extension Mix (49 votes [15.17%])

Percentage of vote: 15.17%

3. Now Foods ADAM or EVE (38 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. NSI Synergy range (10 votes [3.10%])

Percentage of vote: 3.10%

5. Perque Lifegueard (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Optimum Nutrition Opti multivitamin (7 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

7. Pioneer 1+ (4 votes [1.24%])

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

8. Multivit-Rx (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Dr. Weil's Multi's (2 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. Other (133 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

GNC is where the unimformed shopper shops. Even with that card thing their always pushing, better prices and quality is just a Google away.
Think http://iherb.com http://beyondacenturyonline.com

I guess that means most supplement buyers are gullible since GNC is #1 when it comes to supplement sales; their doing so good that in 2009 they plan to open 1,000 new stores.

Anyway, while GNC might not be as good as LEF and AOR when it comes to Life extension health, I think it’s much better than your everyday multi that you would find at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. The GNC powdered multi contains things you wouldn’t find in those other multi’s such as protein, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3, Omega 6, Alpha lipoic Acid, Diarginine Malate and vitamin and mineral dosages several times higher than what the RDA recommends. So, I think it’s fine for me to use while I‘m a student. It also contains no iron which is good.

#122 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

GNC is where the unimformed shopper shops. Even with that card thing their always pushing, better prices and quality is just a Google away.

I guess that means most supplement buyers are gullible since GNC is #1 when it comes to supplement sales; their doing so good that in 2009 they plan to open 1,000 new stores.

I would say for the large part this is entirely true. GNC is a huge brand and at least in Canada, the only major chain supplement store I can think of. Just because they have a larger market share does not mean they dispense quality products, I like 95% of members here would not shop at GNC for any products.

Anyway, while GNC might not be as good as LEF and AOR when it comes to Life extension health, I think it’s much better than your everyday multi that you would find at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. The GNC powdered multi contains things you wouldn’t find in those other multi’s such as protein, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3, Omega 6, Alpha lipoic Acid, Diarginine Malate and vitamin and mineral dosages several times higher than what the RDA recommends. So, I think it’s fine for me to use while I‘m a student. It also contains no iron which is good.

Take what you want. I don't know why you are so pro this GNC multi. There's been plenty of evidence against it and furthermore why you would want to support a company that produces low quality items is another issue when you could supporting companies that are innovative and sincerely interested in life extension. I would rather take the NOW! mens multi if you're not willing to shell out for Orthocore or LEF mix. BTW, being a student for as long as I was one I still afforded to get Orthocore, I don't see any reason to take the 6 pill/day full dose so you can make it last.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:15 AM

I would say for the large part this is entirely true. GNC is a huge brand and at least in Canada, the only major chain supplement store I can think of. Just because they have a larger market share does not mean they dispense quality products, I like 95% of members here would not shop at GNC for any products.

Anyway, while GNC might not be as good as LEF and AOR when it comes to Life extension health, I think it's much better than your everyday multi that you would find at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. The GNC powdered multi contains things you wouldn't find in those other multi's such as protein, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3, Omega 6, Alpha lipoic Acid, Diarginine Malate and vitamin and mineral dosages several times higher than what the RDA recommends. So, I think it's fine for me to use while I'm a student. It also contains no iron which is good.

Take what you want. I don't know why you are so pro this GNC multi. There's been plenty of evidence against it and furthermore why you would want to support a company that produces low quality items is another issue when you could supporting companies that are innovative and sincerely interested in life extension. I would rather take the NOW! mens multi if you're not willing to shell out for Orthocore or LEF mix. BTW, being a student for as long as I was one I still afforded to get Orthocore, I don't see any reason to take the 6 pill/day full dose so you can make it last.

I have not seen any evidence that points to them being low quality all I found on Google was that GNC had problems in the past with the FDA for making false claims about their products, but they have cleaned up their act and even praised the FDA for passing a new act in regards to supplement manufacturing. Anyway, the reason I buy their products is because I'm a student, my parents are the ones who buy the supplements and I don't want to ask them to buy me LEF when GNC is cheaper; and it's much better than the cheap multi's you find at walmart, CVS and walgreens.

Edited by Dmitri, 20 August 2008 - 03:24 AM.

#124 NickCallaway

• 54 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

I take NOW Adam multis... Probably not as good as AOR's ortho-mind, but its a quarter of the price. Definitely has the price/value title.

#125 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Taking Durk & Sandy's BioEnhance (Life Enhancement)

Product details here:

http://www.iherb.com...px?c=1&pid=2719

Anyone else here take this?

#126 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Product details here:

200iu synthetic E? no thanks

#127 Bghead8che

• 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:51 AM

Product details here:

I'd definately pass on this one. The price is really high too considering the cheap vitamin forms used.

-Brian

#128 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

I'd definately pass on this one. The price is really high too considering the cheap vitamin forms used.

-Brian

Gotcha. My girlfriend bought the bottle so no out-of-pocket expense for me. Back to AOR Ortho-Core for me.

Edited by pycnogenol, 27 August 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#129 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

anyone know of a mv that hitting only 100-150% of the RDA? i cant for the life of me find one

#130 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:33 AM

I take 3 AOR Multi basics per day. I wanted a multi vitamin and mineral and not a whole lot of other stuff chucked in there to try impress me. I like the philosophy behind the formulation of the AOR product - do no harm, properly balance to emulate good diet and use quality natural ingredients.

My observation with taking this is maybe a bit strange, but I noticed that whenever I take another brand multi I have dark yellow urine within a few hours. With AOR Multi Basics, I find that this does not appear to occur at all - just the regular yellow:). I am guessing and hoping that this is because there is not excessive amounts and that the balance is correct so it gets absorbed and used.

Multis have never made me feel any different and this one is no different. There is no easy way for me to determine whether they are doing any good so I guess it is down to trust.

#131 pocketsdeep

• 14 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

I take 3 AOR Multi basics per day. I wanted a multi vitamin and mineral and not a whole lot of other stuff chucked in there to try impress me. I like the philosophy behind the formulation of the AOR product - do no harm, properly balance to emulate good diet and use quality natural ingredients.

My observation with taking this is maybe a bit strange, but I noticed that whenever I take another brand multi I have dark yellow urine within a few hours. With AOR Multi Basics, I find that this does not appear to occur at all - just the regular yellow:). I am guessing and hoping that this is because there is not excessive amounts and that the balance is correct so it gets absorbed and used.

Multis have never made me feel any different and this one is no different. There is no easy way for me to determine whether they are doing any good so I guess it is down to trust.

This has been true for me as well... I used to take Metagenics multis and my urine would come out bright yellow. Another multi I sampled did the same thing. I currently take Ortho-Core and it doesnt change my urine color whatsoever. Whether or not this has any significance is beyond me. Anybody know why this happens?

#132 RoadToAwe

• 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

Yellow urine(flavinuria) is primarily due to excess Riboflavin. Since AOR Multibasics  has only 2.5mg of Riboflavin it is not likely to induce flavinuria.

Edited by RoadToAwe, 18 September 2008 - 05:15 PM.

#133 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

Anyway, while GNC might not be as good as LEF and AOR when it comes to Life extension health, I think it's much better than your everyday multi that you would find at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. The GNC powdered multi contains things you wouldn't find in those other multi's such as protein, fruit and vegetable antioxidants, omega 3, Omega 6, Alpha lipoic Acid, Diarginine Malate and vitamin and mineral dosages several times higher than what the RDA recommends. So, I think it's fine for me to use while I'm a student. It also contains no iron which is good.

Cognitive dissonance ftl. Per serving ADAM is far cheaper than that powder your taking, so that's a bs argument. It's also poorly formulated containing things like Magnesium Oxide (junk), niacinimide and omega-6 (we already get plenty in our diets). I can't fathom why would would pay $40 for a thirty day supply of this. That's $1.33 a day.

On top of that, you use the argument that since it's popular it's good. By that logic you could say Britney Spears was the best musician in the year 2000.

#134 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

It's also poorly formulated containing things like Magnesium Oxide (junk), niacinimide and omega-6 (we already get plenty in our diets). I can't fathom why would would pay $40 for a thirty day supply of this. That's $1.33 a day.

On top of that, you use the argument that since it's popular it's good. By that logic you could say Britney Spears was the best musician in the year 2000.

How is Magnesium Oxide junk? Niacinamide makes the formula poor? You had me until that sentence.

#135 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

It's also poorly formulated containing things like Magnesium Oxide (junk), niacinimide and omega-6 (we already get plenty in our diets). I can't fathom why would would pay $40 for a thirty day supply of this. That's $1.33 a day.

How is Magnesium Oxide junk? Niacinamide makes the formula poor? You had me until that sentence.

Magnesium Oxide is the worst form of magnesium you can take, as it is very poorly absorbed by the body. As for niacinimide, it would seem to be an inhibitor of SIRT1, which is involved in aging, having the opposite effect of resveratrol (though, honestly I would say it's too early to make conclusive statements about nicianimide, resveratrol and SIRT1, but if you want to be on the safe side...).

#136 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Magnesium Oxide is the worst form of magnesium you can take, as it is very poorly absorbed by the body. As for niacinimide, it would seem to be an inhibitor of SIRT1, which is involved in aging, having the opposite effect of resveratrol (though, honestly I would say it's too early to make conclusive statements about nicianimide, resveratrol and SIRT1, but if you want to be on the safe side...).

uh news flash, Adam has both oxide and citrate, and NOW loves mixing different forms, with the less bioavailable having more % in the mixture. Care to provide a link to your "worst form" take?

#137 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

Here
and
Here.

#138 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:37 AM

What about the NAC in Orthocore? I was reading about it and thinking I could eliminate some other individual supplements, until I got to that last ingredient.

I realize I should have thought about this a long time ago; I pick my other supplements pretty carefully but then just take a plain-label Wal-Mart sort of multi.

#139 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:03 AM

I guess you should inform LEF since they have 53% Niacinamide in their product and their goal is too extend life. Also, good is not the same as great; I said the product is good for the time being. I did look into now Adam and I don't recall why I decided not to take it, I'll have a look at it later to refresh my memory (perhaps there was no powder form)?

Also, someone argued that some of the other forms were not good but the same forms appear in other products such as Adam and LEF their simply in different percentages and sometimes they add a bit more forms. As for Citrate and caltrate calcium it's absorbed well in the body if you take it with a meal or an acidic drink such as orange juice.

#140 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:09 AM

I have felt the Ortho and it is the Core!

#141 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:22 AM

While not perfect, this one hard to beat for the money.

http://www.iherb.com...c...d=3217&at=0

#142 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

While not perfect, this one hard to beat for the money.

http://www.iherb.com...c...d=3217&at=0

Not bad but I wish it came in capsules.

#143 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

uh news flash, Adam has both oxide and citrate, and NOW loves mixing different forms, with the less bioavailable having more % in the mixture. Care to provide a link to your "worst form" take?

I'm not going to look up the study, but the oxide form of magnesium is only absorbed at 4%, the other 96% remains as rock, which is what mag oxide basically is. Even if mag oxide is part of a mix of other forms of mag, the oxide form is basically worthless.

#144 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

I'm starting to lean in the direction of avoiding all sources of supplementary vitamin A out of a concern for toxicity or semitoxicity. I have a very healthy diet that includes a nice variety of vegetables, and it seems to me that I don't need it and that it might be harmful. (Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A Toxicity, Frequent Respiratory Infections, and the Vitamin D Deficiency Epidemic, link.)

So, in lieu of a multivitamin, I'm proposing:
* B complex
* E complex like Jarrow's familiE.
* vitamin D(3)
* vitamin K(2)
* magnesium orotate

I admit that I may have to give the minerals more thought.

StephenB

#145 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

Not advisable to take NOW's Adam for long term.

Read this:

http://www.ergo-log....ybdenetest.html

Renwosing

#146 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:17 AM

What do people think of Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, iron free version?
Sure the vitamin A is a little high but not too bad. My concern is the vitamin E being d-alpha-tocopheryl at about 165mg. Sure there's 67mg of the gamma-vit E complex but is this the proper ratio? It also has the tocotrienol complex at 10mg. 35mg of niacinamide may be a concern. But for the most part it appears to use more bioavailable forms like methylcobalamin. And of course I'd use supplemental D3 at 2000 or maybe 4000IUs. It seems pretty good for a $10 a month multi.

Vitamin A (as beta-carotene 10,000 IU & palmitate 2,500 IU) 12,500 IU 250 %
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid & Ascorbyl palmitate) 500 mg 830 %
Vitamin D-3 (as cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50 %
Vitamin E (as vitamin E succinate) 200 IU 670 %
Vitamin K 100 mcg 130 %
Thiamin (vitamin B-1) 50 mg 3,330 %
Riboflavin (vitamin B-2) 50 mg 2,950 %
Niacinamide 35 mg & Niacin 15 mg 50 mg 250 %
Vitamin B-6 (as pyridoxine HCI & pyridoxal-5'-phosphate [Coenzymated]) 50 mg 2,500 %
Folate (as folic acid) 400 mcg 100 %
Vitamin B-12 (as methylcobalamin) 200 mcg 3,330 %
Biotin 150 mcg 50 %
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium D-pantothenate & panthethine) 55 mg 550 %
Calcium (as calcium carbonate, malate, chelate & citrate) 100 mg 10 %
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 100 mcg 70 %
Magnesium (as manganese chelate) 100 mg 25 %
Zinc (as monomethionine [OptiZinc] & zinc citrate) 15 mg 100 %
Selenium (as L-selenomethionine [SelenoPure] & sodium selenite) 100 mcg 140 %
Copper (as copper sebacate) 1 mg 50 %
Manganese (as manganese citrate) 3 mg 150 %
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate [ChromoMate] & chromium picolinate) 100 mcg 80 %
Molybdenum (as molybdenum chelate) 100 mcg 130 %
Potassium (as potassium citrate) 50 mg < 2 %
N-Acetyl Cysteine 100 mg †
Milk Thistle Seed Extract (yielding 60 mg silymarin) 72 mg †
gamma-Vitamin E Complex 67 mg †
Choline (as bitartrate) 50 mg †
Inositol 50 mg †
alpha-Lipoic Acid & R-Lipoic Acid 40 mg †
DMAE (as bitartrate) 30 mg †
Grape Seed Extract (Proanthodyn) 30 mg †
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane [OptiMSM]) 25 mg †
Hawthorn Berry Extract (4:1) 25 mg †
N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine 25 mg †
Turmeric Rhizome Extract (95 % curcumin) 25 mg †
Green Tea Extract (95 % polyphenols, 35 % EGCG) 25 mg †
Quercetin 25 mg †
Coenzyme Q10 20 mg †
Ginkgo Leaf Extract (50:1) 24 % Flavoneglycosides 20 mg †
Billberry Fruit Extract (25 % anthocyanidins) 10 mg †
Tocotrienol Complex (Tocomax) 10 mg †
Rutin 5 mg †
Black Pepper Fruit Extract (Bioperine) 3 mg †
Lycopene 3 mg †
Boron (as amino acid chelate) 2 mg †
Lutein (FloraGlo) 2 mg †
Astaxanthin 100 mcg †

Or what about MHP Activite Sport? I'd probably only dose at 2 tabs per day. http://www.bodybuild...re/mhp/act.html
Would one be better than the otehr. The MHP one uses more chelates which seem to have higher bioavailability?

I could also do the ACE+b-complex route using Jarrow's line but that comes out to the price of Orthocore, so I'd probably just opt for the latter.

#147 Paulus

• 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

What do people think of Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, iron free version? ...Or what about MHP Activite Sport? I'd probably only dose at 2 tabs per day. http://www.bodybuild...re/mhp/act.html
Would one be better than the otehr. The MHP one uses more chelates which seem to have higher bioavailability?

I could also do the ACE+b-complex route using Jarrow's line but that comes out to the price of Orthocore, so I'd probably just opt for the latter.

I too am considering Source Naturals' Life Force Multiple and would like to know what people think. Where do you see it for only $10.00/month? iHerb's prices seem higher than I'd expect for this product. FYI, the Life Force supplement facts you listed are only half the dosage, not necessarily half of the intended dosage, but they indicate 2-4 tablets per day, what you list is what is in 2 tablets. 4 tablets yields 5,000 IU's of Vitamin A palmitate which seems excessive; that's 100% of the official RDA in retynol form.

I notice the only multi's that Cognitive Nutrition's site offers are the LEF Mix, Ortho-core and Life Force. That make it seem like Life Force is much better than I originally thought, to be included in such an exclusive grouping. Thoughts? Is Life Force in the same ilk as LEF Mix and Ortho-core? I anticipate a resounding "no way", but then I ask why does CN only sell these specific 3 products? Is it the "3rd best" option? LEF itself also sells the Life Force Multiple.

Edited by Michael, 21 September 2009 - 10:52 AM.
Trim quote

#148 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

I've been trying to convince my son in college to start taking a multivitamin. He told me that he would never take six capsules spread out over the day, as I do with Ortho Core. But he agreed to take a multi and even fish oil if he could take them all at once in the morning--as long as it didn't involve more than a few capsules. Can anyone here recommend a brand of multvitamin with a daily dosage of three or fewer capsules/tablets, preferably all at one time? I do realize that it likely won't be as good as many of the multi brands discussed here, which often involve taking quite a handful.

#149 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:55 AM

I've been trying to convince my son in college to start taking a multivitamin. He told me that he would never take six capsules spread out over the day, as I do with Ortho Core. But he agreed to take a multi and even fish oil if he could take them all at once in the morning--as long as it didn't involve more than a few capsules. Can anyone here recommend a brand of multvitamin with a daily dosage of three or fewer capsules/tablets, preferably all at one time? I do realize that it likely won't be as good as many of the multi brands discussed here, which often involve taking quite a handful.

AOR Multi-Basics. Full dosage is 3 daily, but it doesn't mean you have to take that much. Same with Ortho-Core too... just because the total dosage is six capsules (I think), it doesn't mean that's what is ideal for that person. It depends on diet and general health of the individual.

But anyway, your son could take 1-3 caps of Multi-Basics in the morning, or 1-3 caps of Ortho-Core.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#150 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

I don't take a multi anymore. Instead I've been trying to get most of my vitamins and minerals from food and am taking a few individual vitamins.

Mmmm kale smoothies, mmmm....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users