- - - - -

DIY Rosmarinic Acid Eye Drops For Cataracts

rosmarinic acid cataracts eye drops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Cooper

• 1,006 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

Based on this paper Rosmarinic Acid Restores Complete Transparency of Sonicated Human Cataract Ex Vivo and Delays Cataract Formation In Vivo and the absence of any commercial eye drop containing rosmarinic acid (RA), I'm toying with the idea of making my own DIY RA eye drops to address some early cataract formation.

This isn't something I take lightly. There's no clinical data whatsoever on topical RA for cataracts in humans, and I've very aware of the need to follow sterile procedures when making the preparation.

I'm thinking of making a 1% w/v solution. Clearly I'll need sterile distilled water and rosmarinic acid and a good scale. I suspect I'll also want to add a buffering agent to keep the pH in an acceptable range (say 6.0 - 8.0). Does anyone have any suggestions for a buffer agent? Clearly we don't want to neutralize the rosmarinic acid but we also don't want the pH going too low. I do have a digital pH meter and calibration solutions. 

Suggestions would be welcome.

• like x 2

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Topic Starter
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

Forgot to add.  RA is only slightly soluble in water. It is well soluble in most organic solvents and I believe it can be reasonably soluble in water if the right buffer agent is used.

I can't think of many organic solvents that I want to put in my eye, except maybe a very dilute solution of water + DMSO (which has actually been used at least experimentally in the eye in the past).  I suppose you might suspend it in olive oil or castor oil, however I would bet you'd get better permeability into the lens capsule with H20 + buffer or H20 + DMSO.

Again, comments from better chemists than I would be appreciated. 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Rays

• 26 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

Interesting experiment.
Why not add some NMN?
Will you experiment on one eye only? To judge whether it has any effect?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Daniel Cooper

• Topic Starter
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

I'm a little reluctant to just throw in things that "seem like a good idea" unless I have some evidence for effectiveness for cataracts.  

I could see that NR/NMN might be useful topically in the eye, but it would be nice to know that for sure.  I doubt it would hurt anything however.

And yes, I'd certainly start in one eye till I was comfortable with safety.  However, I think whether is effective will probably be obvious.  Either the cataract regresses or not.  They rarely (though not never) regress on their own.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rosmarinic acid, cataracts, eye drops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users