* * * * * 2 votes

Protecting from Coronavirus - Supplements & Therapies

coronavirus flu disease epidemics viruses immunity covid-19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3083 replies to this topic

#2341 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

Point taken Boopathon.  I had heard about the steroid debate, & thought it was discovered by serendipity as part of standard of care.  I guess the serendipity angle was that it made it into the trial in the first place when many thought it might be dangerous.  

Thanks for clarification, & welcome to LongeCity!  Hope to see you posting more here.  

#2342 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

Point taken Boopathon.  I had heard about the steroid debate, & thought it was discovered by serendipity as part of standard of care.  I guess the serendipity angle was that it made it into the trial in the first place when many thought it might be dangerous.  

Kory brings up the fact they were recommending the steroid well before it became standard in his 1st hearing, apparently that wasnt enough credibility with the Senate. Along with all the other evidence he presented.

• Informative x 1

#2343 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

Joyner MJ, Wright RS, Fairweather D, et al. Early safety indicators of COVID-19 convalescent plasma in 5000 patients. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2020;130(9):4791-4797.

BACKGROUND. Convalescent plasma is the only antibody-based therapy currently available for patients with coronavirus
disease 2019 (COVID-19). It has robust historical precedence and sound biological plausibility. Although promising,
convalescent plasma has not yet been shown to be safe as a treatment for COVID-19.

METHODS. Thus, we analyzed key safety metrics after transfusion of ABO-compatible human COVID-19 convalescent plasma
in 5000 hospitalized adults with severe or life-threatening COVID-19, with 66% in the intensive care unit, as part of the US
FDA expanded access program for COVID-19 convalescent plasma.

RESULTS. The incidence of all serious adverse events (SAEs), including mortality rate (0.3%), in the first 4 hours after
transfusion was <1%. Of the 36 reported SAEs, there were 25 reported incidences of related SAEs, including mortality
(n = 4), transfusion-associated circulatory overload (n = 7), transfusion-related acute lung injury (n = 11), and severe allergic
transfusion reactions (n = 3). However, only 2 of 36 SAEs were judged as definitely related to the convalescent plasma
transfusion by the treating physician. The 7-day mortality rate was 14.9%.

CONCLUSION. Given the deadly nature of COVID-19 and the large population of critically ill patients included in these analyses,
the mortality rate does not appear excessive. These early indicators suggest that transfusion of convalescent plasma is safe in
hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

#2344 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:43 PM

Maybe the NIH has finally seen enough blood letting - FLCC presented IVM data to them.

Hopefully Marik and Kory kissed the ring and pretended to play nice.

• Informative x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#2345 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:51 PM

One can be completely gullible about the claims and motives of others, and one can be completely suspicious about the claims and motives of others.   Tendency to the latter fault is what the mistaken term conspiracy theory is meant to identify; probably better described as paranoia.   There is an opposite fault without a widely accepted label, call it conformism:  gullible acceptance of arguments from authority and arguments ad populum (it is true if many people of quality like me believe it), both fallacies. 

No doubt both conformism and conspiracy theories are not good. But I feel light right now Conspiracy theories are worse. Visiting social media these days is like "Welcome to fantasy island"  

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#2346 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:50 AM

No doubt both conformism and conspiracy theories are not good. But I feel light right now Conspiracy theories are worse. Visiting social media these days is like "Welcome to fantasy island"  

I didnt give this one serious consideration, but there was some real Trump HATE in the NIH, maybe it is strictly political.   Could be Dorian was right, NIH wants to make Biden the hero with IVM.  Guy is former NIH, so hopefully not the case, but we waited an awfully long time not to green light an already approved drug.  There really should be some transparency here(you wont find the MSM fact checking our beloved NIH though!).

What tipped them over to approving it?

Edited by Gal220, 10 January 2021 - 04:52 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2347 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:53 PM

I didnt give this one serious consideration, but there was some real Trump HATE in the NIH, maybe it is strictly political. 

I don't agree that there was a conspiracy at the NIH to make Trump look bad. People there are just doing their job. I am a scientist. Every scientist I know detests Trump. And those people are entitled to their opinions. It should come as no surprise that highly educated people at the NIH don't like Trump. Because Trump's appeal is to the uneducated white masses whose grievances he masterfully stokes. At this point in time anyone with a brain capable of analytical or complex thought is not likely to be a Trump fan. That does not mean they are orchestrating conspiracies to cause his downfall. He does not need any help with that.

Edited by geo12the, 10 January 2021 - 04:54 PM.

• like x 4
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2348 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

I don't agree that there was a conspiracy at the NIH to make Trump look bad. People there are just doing their job. I am a scientist. Every scientist I know detests Trump. And those people are entitled to their opinions.

As I said, I didnt really give it much thought either, but saying some guy needs to be skinned alive is pretty aggressive hate. 

Zalenko attributes HCQ's failure solely on Trump hate - c19study.com  alludes to the same - "There is evidence of bias towards publishing negative results. 88% of prospective studies report positive effects, and only 76% of retrospective studies do."

There have been 10,000-17,000 trips to the morgue every week in our country alone. FLCC was pushing it a long time ago, I would really like to see an explanation why this wasnt at least approved for high risk a long time ago.  As Dr.Kory said at the senate hearing, IVM far exceeded  the guidelines for compassionate use outlined by the FDA, which happened for Remdesivir with much less evidence.

But Im sure no explanation will be forthcoming.

Edited by Gal220, 10 January 2021 - 07:55 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • like x 2

#2349 bladedmind

• 286 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

There’s more to the protection from coronavirus topic than biochemistry.  Frequently in this thread people have pondered about the squelching of information, about the institutional failure to do early treatment.  Some of the discussion has been simple:  conspiracy theory!, science!, liberals!, conservatives!  These are the kinds of questions that can be addressed with nuance by political science, political theory, policy analysis.   

At a higher level, probably off the narrowly construed topic, there is an accelerating erosion of freedom of speech.  Friday’s big-tech assault on the conservative half of the country is alarming (some on the right threatened freedom of speech after 911, but lacked such powerful methods to carry out their will).   Simple linear growth of that tendency predicts erasure of Longecity inside 6 months.  This site contains disinformation that could harm people, it will be said.  Probably 90% of the content is about longevity and health strategies that are not approved of by “science” = FDA, NIH, CDC.  When that happens, I recommend study of J.S. Mill’s On Liberty

Abusive pointless-timewasting redflaggers don’t impress me.  They are wannabe censors – would rather emote than either skip ahead or respond with evidence and argument.  As for off-topic, maybe discussion of the puzzles of squelching of information, and the institutional failure to do early treatment is off-topic.  Here is my farewell contribution on that subject.

Glenn Greenwald: Big Tech is censoring Covid debate

https://www.youtube....bed/MSVNm7XbnYA

Gleen Greenwald:  Violence in the Capitol, Dangers in the Aftermath

Edited by bladedmind, 10 January 2021 - 07:05 PM.

• Well Written x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2350 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

Re-infection of Covid among healthcare workers very low, at least for 6 months.

https://www.nejm.org...Moa2034545?s=09

https://www.journalo...81-7/fulltext#

The presence of anti-spike or anti-nucleocapsid IgG antibodies was associated with a substantially reduced risk of SARS-CoV-2 reinfection in the ensuing 6 months. (Funded by the U.K. Government Department of Health and Social Care and others.)

• Informative x 2

#2351 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

Friday’s big-tech assault on the conservative half of the country is alarming

I don't see it as an assault on conservatives views as much as an assault on lies. I am actually very conservative when it comes to fiscal policy.  It's not about censoring discussions about policy positions.  It's about lies being constantly regurgitated as truth to incite violence. Where do we draw the line between fact and fantasy? Do we want to live in a fairy tale Qanon and lizard people conspiracy world where gibberish is constantly presented as fact? As for LongeCity being censored, I think it's not realistic that this will happen, I will believe it when I see it. 

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2352 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:32 PM

I think it's not realistic that this will happen, I will believe it when I see it.

I would like prefer to agree. However, this february I met a real Swiss conspiracy theorist on vacation in India. I only laughed at his prediction that there would be forced vaccinations and international travels made more difficult.

Already weeks later back home all borders of my small state (~100 km in diameter) were closed. 8-O

And by the day it indeed looks like most of this world will be off-limit to me without vaccination forever. Never thought such conspiracy theories so accurate so soon. Thereby I'm reminded we're only a few generations out of the 3rd Reich, and a few more out of the middle-ages.

Only too easy to fall back into such deeply ingrained power-structures. But I also do believe in the resiliency of humans to come out of repeated dark-ages again and again.

Edited by pamojja, 10 January 2021 - 09:40 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#2353 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:51 AM

So if I have Scabies, I can get a prescription?

If you do have scabies you probably could get a prescription for it or if you are travelling overseas

to certain countires where certain parasites are a problem.

Ivermectin is a very common drug used in the treatment of scabies when creams don't work.

It is used with the elderly in nursing homes when there is a scabies outbreak.

Just to bad it wasn't used earlier in nursing homes last year and it might have saved a lot

of lives of the elderly that died.

• Agree x 2

#2354 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

I saw on the news today that there is a new issue with the vaccine.

Some doctors are recommending that the incoming administration allow for everyone

to get at least one shot before the people are able to get their second follow-up shot.

They believe that by doing this it will get more people vaccinated with at least one shot.

Some doctors are not happy with that idea because they believe that the people who

already got the first shot should be able to get the second shot before it is opened

up to everyone since that could possibly make a shortage of vaccines and the people

would not be able to get their second follow-up shot when they are suppose to.  They

also think that just one shot to everyone would not provide enough protection.

It is some interesting times.

• Good Point x 1

#2355 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:11 AM

South African Federales raid hospital, arresting ivermectin smugglers at border.  

OK doc, hand over the tablets & no one gets hurt!  Hey, where are all your COVID patients?

Doc: Oh, they all recovered so we discharged them back home.

Edited by Dorian Grey, 12 January 2021 - 04:21 AM.

• Cheerful x 2
  • Agree x 1

#2356 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:22 AM

I saw on the news today that there is a new issue with the vaccine.

Some doctors are recommending that the incoming administration allow for everyone

to get at least one shot before the people are able to get their second follow-up shot.

They believe that by doing this it will get more people vaccinated with at least one shot.

Some doctors are not happy with that idea because they believe that the people who

already got the first shot should be able to get the second shot before it is opened

up to everyone since that could possibly make a shortage of vaccines and the people

would not be able to get their second follow-up shot when they are suppose to.  They

also think that just one shot to everyone would not provide enough protection.

It is some interesting times.

Right now when people are given the vaccination, a second dose is held in reserve for them. I envision it would be more efficient if it were more like an assembly line: vaccinate people and keep churning out the vaccine and when they are due for the second dose give them a second dose from the new stuff made.  It also seems like they are too hung up on the "who goes first" parameters and that is slowing things down and in some cases has led to vaccine being wasted.  

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2357 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:17 AM

Gilead CEO: We Expect Remdesivir To Work On New COVID-19 Strains

https://www.yahoo.co...-203936990.html

"the drugmaker expects the antiviral drug to be fully effective against new strains of the coronavirus."

Fully effective?  The author of the piece (Benny Fellows) doesn't even mention the largest RCT ever done with remdesivir (WHO / Solidarity) showed "there is currently no evidence that remdesivir improves survival and other outcomes in these patients."

But wait!  Gilead CEO Daniel O'Day told CNBC Squak Box: "remdesivir can reduce the hospital phase by up to a week and reduce the chances of patients going on to more severe illness and dying by up to 70%".  

"As hospitalizations have quadrupled worldwide, one out of every two patients are receiving remdesivir,"  WOW, half of all (24 million currently infected) patients world wide are now getting remdesivir? Who knew?  With everything censored & fact checked now, I guess this must be true.  

A 70% reduction in mortality?  That Fauci guy must have been right after all.  Praise the Lord, we're saved!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 12 January 2021 - 05:55 AM.

• Cheerful x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#2358 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

"As hospitalizations have quadrupled worldwide, one out of every two patients are receiving remdesivir,"  WOW, half of all (24 million currently infected) patients world wide are now getting remdesivir? Who knew?  With everything censored & fact checked now, I guess this must be true."

No doubt the medical community has failed us in this pandemic, but the media has been their right hand man.

Hopefully at some point it is widely known if basic treatments like H2O2, quercetin, bromelain, hesperidin, resveratrol, honeysuckle, etc were effective but never followed up on.  Accountability is key if something similar breaks out again.  So far, it seems like the lesson learned here by Pharma is you can exploit a global pandemic with marginally effective drugs at an incredible profit.

Edited by Gal220, 12 January 2021 - 02:16 PM.

• Good Point x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#2359 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:53 PM

Hopefully at some point it is widely known if basic treatments like H2O2, quercetin, bromelain, hesperidin, resveratrol, honeysuckle, etc were effective but never followed up on.  Accountability is key if something similar breaks out again.  So far, it seems like the lesson learned here by Pharma is you can exploit a global pandemic with marginally effective drugs at an incredible profit.

some of the research is on the way
https://clinicaltria...how/NCT04536298

• Informative x 2

#2360 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:15 PM

This is an interesting study and opens up another prevention strategy: probiotics

https://gut.bmj.com/...020-323020.full

Gut microbiota composition reflects disease severity and dysfunctional immune responses in patients with COVID-19

Abstract

Objective Although COVID-19 is primarily a respiratory illness, there is mounting evidence suggesting that the GI tract is involved in this disease. We investigated whether the gut microbiome is linked to disease severity in patients with COVID-19, and whether perturbations in microbiome composition, if any, resolve with clearance of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Methods In this two-hospital cohort study, we obtained blood, stool and patient records from 100 patients with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection. Serial stool samples were collected from 27 of the 100 patients up to 30 days after clearance of SARS-CoV-2. Gut microbiome compositions were characterised by shotgun sequencing total DNA extracted from stools. Concentrations of inflammatory cytokines and blood markers were measured from plasma.

Results Gut microbiome composition was significantly altered in patients with COVID-19 compared with non-COVID-19 individuals irrespective of whether patients had received medication (p<0.01). Several gut commensals with known immunomodulatory potential such as Faecalibacterium prausnitziiEubacterium rectale and bifidobacteria were underrepresented in patients and remained low in samples collected up to 30 days after disease resolution. Moreover, this perturbed composition exhibited stratification with disease severity concordant with elevated concentrations of inflammatory cytokines and blood markers such as C reactive protein, lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate aminotransferase and gamma-glutamyl transferase.

Conclusion Associations between gut microbiota composition, levels of cytokines and inflammatory markers in patients with COVID-19 suggest that the gut microbiome is involved in the magnitude of COVID-19 severity possibly via modulating host immune responses. Furthermore, the gut microbiota dysbiosis after disease resolution could contribute to persistent symptoms, highlighting a need to understand how gut microorganisms are involved in inflammation and COVID-19.

• Informative x 1

#2361 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

Fenofibrate

... at  drug  concentrations  which  are  clinically  achievable,  fenofibrate  and  fenofibric  acid  reduced  viral  infection  by  up  to  70%

https://www.biorxiv....6114v1.full.pdf

10nM to 50nM seems like a sweet spot. Can anyone calculate how much of the drug one would have to take to achieve that in the bloodstream?

Edited by smithx, 12 January 2021 - 09:56 PM.

• Informative x 1

#2362 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:47 AM

Thailand Clears Use of Herbal Medicine for Covid-19 Treatment

https://www.bloomber...id-19-treatment

Edited by lancebr, 13 January 2021 - 05:50 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2363 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

Thailand Clears Use of Herbal Medicine for Covid-19 Treatment

https://www.bloomber...id-19-treatment

There is an up-to-date article on this herb on wiki and we can find it as supplement from various sources:

https://en.wikipedia...phis_paniculata

Edited by albedo, 13 January 2021 - 10:13 AM.

• like x 2

#2364 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

As for LongeCity being censored, I think it's not realistic that this will happen, I will believe it when I see it. 

Been going on for a while, Self hacked owner Joe Cohen discusses it in this article - Health Websites that have been Crushed by Google's Censorship

Longecity is number 9 on the list - traffic down 95% due to Googles deplatfor... err I mean new and improved algorithm changes...

Start comparing health related searches with duckduckgo.com or yippy.com, theres a big difference.

Edited by Gal220, 13 January 2021 - 02:44 PM.

• WellResearched x 3
  • Informative x 2

#2365 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:13 PM

Been going on for a while, Self hacked owner Joe Cohen discusses it in this article - Health Websites that have been Crushed by Google's Censorship

Longecity is number 9 on the list - traffic down 95% due to Googles deplatfor... err I mean new and improved algorithm changes...

Start comparing health related searches with duckduckgo.com or yippy.com, theres a big difference.

This is an incredible find Gal.  I've noticed our community seems to have diminished new members showing up, and has largely devolved into a small circle of friends.  

I was group leader of a forum on MDjunction, & noticed a sudden sharp drop off in new members showing up after the google "MEDIC" update (August 2018).  The whole website died, & was pulled down around 6 months later.  

It's the end of the world as we know it.  Glad to have the fond memories of how things used to be.  Feel sorry for the youth of today. 

I remember in the film My Fair Lady, Henry Higgins advised Eliza to "stick to the weather & your health" regarding conversations during her debut into polite society.  Perhaps the "New Rules" for the world will soon evolve into a similar mandate.  

Sunny & warm here in San Diego today.  Hope everyone is doing well!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 13 January 2021 - 03:15 PM.

• Agree x 2

#2366 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:53 PM

I was group leader of a forum on MDjunction, & noticed a sudden sharp drop off in new members showing up after the google "MEDIC" update (August 2018).  The whole website died, & was pulled down around 6 months later.  

It's the end of the world as we know it.  Glad to have the fond memories of how things used to be.  Feel sorry for the youth of today. 

Were not the cool kids anymore, too much free thinking going on here.  The sheeple might get confused.

• Cheerful x 2

#2367 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Accepted for publication today:

https://www.frontier...643369/abstract

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2368 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:20 AM

Maybe it wasn't clear before. This reduced viral load for SARS-CoV-2 in vitro by 70%. No one is interested?

Fenofibrate

https://www.biorxiv....6114v1.full.pdf

10nM to 50nM seems like a sweet spot. Can anyone calculate how much of the drug one would have to take to achieve that in the bloodstream?

• Informative x 2

#2369 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:19 AM

Interesting article about Dr.Fauci and Coronaviruses:

https://www.globalre...viruses/5713659

• Informative x 1

#2370 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:44 AM

Interesting article about Dr.Fauci and Coronaviruses:

https://www.globalre...viruses/5713659

It is fascinating how outpatient therapeutics have been completely overlooked for almost a year now.  It's as if some puppet master is running the show.  Can't help but think Big Pharma & the vaccine makers have had their fingers on the scales.  

With the new, more contagious variants running rampant, you'd think the dam would burst and they'd start treating people, but to admit effective therapies have existed all along at this point in the game would cause quite a kerfuffle.  

The evidence is certainly out there.  Countries that are treating their patients have a remarkably lower death rate per capita.  

They've painted themselves into a corner with their vaccine or bust methodology, & are just starting to realize everyone isn't going to get the jab in the blink of an eye.  

What I find most shocking of all is that the economy hasn't crumped.  Can we really just cruise through another 6 months with a huge chunk of the population unemployed?  

Love the 180 Gov Cuomo did the other day: “We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass,” Cuomo said.  

Hey, Dr Zelenko is licensed to practice in NY gov...  Why not give him a call?  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 14 January 2021 - 08:02 AM.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus, flu, disease epidemics, viruses, immunity, covid-19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users