Vitamin D...but why?

mct

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:57 AM

Not sure you read the entire thread, but he was having some resolution from a certain vitamin D supplement.

Maybe pills arent the complete solution, but he already knows at least 1 did help.

This.

I now know that different sources of Vit D have vastly different effects on me. One of these did what I needed it to do, the rest have been varying degrees of failure.

How to isolate or replicate the effects, I do not know. It makes me question what exactly is the point of living when I know that I’ll never experience life the way it was meant to be.

#92 Gal220

• 1,041 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:54 AM

I still recommend you ask your primary doctor to refer you to a geneticist, testing has come a long way, even just recently.

Other D to try

- Sun lamp, Kris Kresser recommends getting as much D from sun as possible as many other tertiary peptides and hormones(maybe this is the difference for you)

-liposomal D from the previous page.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 08:16 AM

I'm still really suspicious that 1 brand proved more effective.

Would help to measure serum levels alongside to see if it truly absorbed the same.

#94 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

I'm still really suspicious that 1 brand proved more effective.

Would help to measure serum levels alongside to see if it truly absorbed the same.

I got to 114 ng/dl on that brand.

Other brands are intolerable to me, most of them just cause me to be extremely bloated, while the lichen d3 just made me feel weird all over.

Of course, that brand is no longer being produced the same way as noted (I called them and they said they had refreshed the product at end of last year).

It is a shame, it’s a real shame.

#95 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:08 PM

I still recommend you ask your primary doctor to refer you to a geneticist, testing has come a long way, even just recently.

Other D to try

- Sun lamp, Kris Kresser recommends getting as much D from sun as possible as many other tertiary peptides and hormones(maybe this is the difference for you)

-liposomal D from the previous page.

Ordered a liposomal form (Mercola on Amazon). What’s the difference?

#96 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:16 PM

I've had the exact same problem as you and experience with d3 supplementation, and recently have had some moderate success with bright white light therapy, the same therapy used as a first-line defense against major depressive disorder and SAD. Maybe that could help?

It would explain why some people can function normally without really thinking about it or making any major dietary changes. It's stupidly simple but it might work if you haven't tried it.

#97 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:54 PM

I've had the exact same problem as you and experience with d3 supplementation, and recently have had some moderate success with bright white light therapy, the same therapy used as a first-line defense against major depressive disorder and SAD. Maybe that could help?
It would explain why some people can function normally without really thinking about it or making any major dietary changes. It's stupidly simple but it might work if you haven't tried it.

worth a shot. have a link to a product?

#98 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:43 PM

I got this one. But it's probably safe to assume anything with a brightness ≥10000 lux will work, and building your own wouldn't be a task. It's literally just a really bright LED.

This is after trying UV light too. I was thinking that maybe the sulfur & miscellaneous photochemicals produced by UV exposure were equally as important as the vitamin D itself, but it didn't really do anything other than burn my skin.

#99 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:06 AM

I got this one. But it's probably safe to assume anything with a brightness ≥10000 lux will work, and building your own wouldn't be a task. It's literally just a really bright LED.

This is after trying UV light too. I was thinking that maybe the sulfur & miscellaneous photochemicals produced by UV exposure were equally as important as the vitamin D itself, but it didn't really do anything other than burn my skin.

Ok, let's see how we go.

You too had an identical d3 experience? In that different brands have different effects? And they are totally life-changing?

#100 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:48 PM

The brand I first tried was Now Foods, 5000 IU in an olive oil softgel. It was absolutely life-changing for about a month or two then stopped working, and it's the only thing that has had such a dramatic effect for me. Changing brands or dosage didn't seem to help. Not even the original brand does anything for me anymore. So maybe not an identical problem but very similar.

I heard of other people having the same issue. I'm not sure if it's an absorption issue or a conversion issue in the liver/kidneys. I've tried literally every other vitamin and mineral considered "essential" in multiple forms, so I'm not convinced it is a co-factor problem.

Have you tried dry Vitamin D capsules? Any powder forms? I've just discovered that, evidently, oil soft gels are LESS effective, but I'm not sure why: https://vitamindwiki...ty – April 2014

#101 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

The brand I first tried was Now Foods, 5000 IU in an olive oil softgel. It was absolutely life-changing for about a month or two then stopped working, and it's the only thing that has had such a dramatic effect for me. Changing brands or dosage didn't seem to help. Not even the original brand does anything for me anymore. So maybe not an identical problem but very similar.

I heard of other people having the same issue. I'm not sure if it's an absorption issue or a conversion issue in the liver/kidneys. I've tried literally every other vitamin and mineral considered "essential" in multiple forms, so I'm not convinced it is a co-factor problem.

Have you tried dry Vitamin D capsules? Any powder forms? I've just discovered that, evidently, oil soft gels are LESS effective, but I'm not sure why: https://vitamindwiki...ty – April 2014

Interesting. I tried a dry form but it was made into a tablet-lots of other “sticky” ingredients.

I wonder if disssolving pure d3 powder into pure ethanol is worth a try?

#102 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 01:57 PM

Been looking into fiber's effect on calcium and apparently inulin and resistant maltodextrin can increase ALL mineral absorption significantly:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2839484/

https://nutritionj.b.../1475-2891-4-29

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/17884999/

#103 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 04:26 PM

Been looking into fiber's effect on calcium and apparently inulin and resistant maltodextrin can increase ALL mineral absorption significantly:
https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2839484/
https://nutritionj.b.../1475-2891-4-29
https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/17884999/

Yeah it’s not the mineral aspect of d3 that is helping us. It is a steroid/hormone and its neurotrophic effects are what we’re after.

As for fibers, I try to just eat bananas often. Sometimes 3 a day. In addition to fruits/vegetables.

#104 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 12:36 AM

Sorry if you've already mentioned, but have you tried calcitriol?

#105 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

I have yes. Didn’t do what I wanted at all. Just made me feel weird.

#106 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:40 PM

All of this is just so crazy isn't it? I just don't 'get' any of it. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#107 ailsworb

• 24 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:47 PM

So I tried calcitriol too, didn't feel anything at all. Completely unresponsive, even with doses up to 5 mcg.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users