- - - - -

not much facial hair

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eddy_123uk

eddy_123uk
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

Im 20 years old, have a fair amount of hair in the goatee part of my face but nearly none on the sides. i was a late starter and the facial hair just failed to come through properly, despite my dad having plenty. is it indicative of low testosterone or any similar kind of hormone imbalance? Anything I can do about it or is it too late?

Thanks in advance

#2 DJS

DJS
  • 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

I still can't grow a good pair of sideburns. Life sometimes sucks like that.

#3 greece

greece
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

I don't think you should worry about that. You are too young my friend.
The only advice from me is this : "Do not take anything to change your hormone balance !!!"

#4 ikaros

ikaros
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Damn and I'm like a gorilla.

#5 FunkOdyssey

FunkOdyssey
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

I think you are barking up the right tree, but unfortunately there aren't many practical or healthy ways to affect a change. Low DHT is implicated -- if you have a relatively mesomorphic body-type, testosterone is probably adequate/high and there is not much 5alpha-reduction to DHT taking place. If you are both skinny and facial/body hairless, then androgens may be low all around.

On the plus side, you will probably never suffer from baldness or prostate enlargement.

#6 ajnast4r

ajnast4r
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

my facial hair grew in blotchy till i was 22-23

#7 Shepard

Shepard
  • Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image

I don't think the facial hair of a child has hurt this man.

• Lurker

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Light body hair is a sign of a zinc deficiency. I am not sure if a light beard is also considered a sign of a zinc deficiency.

But you can test your zinc levels with the product Zinc Status. This is sold in health food stores for about $15 and it works. It tells you immediately if you have a zinc deficiency.

If you have light body hair you might consider trying it.

#9 eddy_123uk

eddy_123uk
  • Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

I think you are barking up the right tree, but unfortunately there aren't many practical or healthy ways to affect a change.  Low DHT is implicated -- if you have a relatively mesomorphic body-type, testosterone is probably adequate/high and there is not much 5alpha-reduction to DHT taking place.  If you are both skinny and facial/body hairless, then androgens may be low all around.

On the plus side, you will probably never suffer from baldness or prostate enlargement.

strange thing is that im actually beginning to go a bit bald too! im on propecia now, which cant be helping my facial hair situation, but hey id rather have hair on my head than my face. i am fairly skinny tho so i may get some tests done on my testosterone levels.

#10 bacopacabana

bacopacabana
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

There may be a thing or two an exceedingly small number of people may be able to do about it, i.e. if they are zinc deficient, as mentioned, but this is primarily genetics.

My T and DHT test normal, but I have very little facial hair, or body hair, for that matter (guess what - neither does my father). Why is there thick hair on my sideburns and none 1/4" away? Genetics.

#11 Live Forever

Live Forever

Recorder

• 7,475 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

I grow hair on my face like a very hairy animal of some sort. Wanna trade?

#12 Live Forever

Live Forever

Recorder

• 7,475 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

I don't think the facial hair of a child has hurt this man.

...or this guy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Matt

Matt
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I don't get much faicial hair too, but I do CR so that might have something to do with it. Either way, facial hair is annoying anyway, shaving takes time...

#14 Ghostrider

Ghostrider
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

You are not missing anything by not having facial hair. You would probably shave it off even if you had it as beards just feel weird.

#15 spacetime

spacetime
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

20 year old, I'd give yourself some more time to see if it doesn't fill out. I couldn't grow a full decent beard until about 23 and now wish I didn't have it at all.

It's is primarily genetic though, but I'm not sure if it's maternal or paternal or a combo thereof.

One thing worth trying is rogaine. It lists facial hair growth as a side and I have experience that it does induce this effect. I used it for hairloss on the scalp but it would rub on the pillow and I eventually noticed excessive hair growth on the cheeks almost growing into my eyes. So I would give Rogaine a shot for a month or two and see what happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users