Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#361 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:09 AM

so you are saying puerer version won't cause any gas at all ?? as i was writing this sentense, i released gas 5 X already........

I guess that was good advice about the open flames. High purity resveratrol is far less likely to cause GI symptoms.
  • like x 2

#362 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

My apologies to all folks in this forum. I think the REALLY bad gas i had mostly contributed to eating Dried Squidd meat during the day that day. I think still this GNC version of RES does cause some gas but i think it was exassarated by eating that dried squidd.........

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#363 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

I really do think it is critically important that we are honest with our experiences. I think some of us in the forum are so infatuated with this RES that we almost don't want to recognize the possible potentially harmful side effects. This medication is very New and we are still learning much about the effects of this medication. We Are essentially the Guinea pigs,,,,,if you will.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#364 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Your glib "honesty" is noted. However, Resveratrol is a supplemental extract and NOT a medication. Most people here have been using supplements for decades. and realize the potential problems associated with use. Most Resveratrol users know that they should only use pure extracts. People that have bad or minimal good results from Resveratrol use simply stop taking it.. Its not a problem, or even a potential problem for those that have an IQ of average or above. People with sub-normal intelligence should not use this, or any supplements, unless they are under supervision.
  • like x 2

#365 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Your glib "honesty" is noted. However, Resveratrol is a supplemental extract and NOT a medication. Most people here have been using supplements for decades. and realize the potential problems associated with use. Most Resveratrol users know that they should only use pure extracts. People that have bad or minimal good results from Resveratrol use simply stop taking it.. Its not a problem, or even a potential problem for those that have an IQ of average or above. People with sub-normal intelligence should not use this, or any supplements, unless they are under supervision.

You contradict yourself. YOu say more purer the RES, better it is for the person that is not versed in medicine. Yes from effectiveness point of view. but MOre pure the product, you see more of the True version of the side effect profile of the medication. I am a research scientist so i am well aware of what the pure medication can do. Your version maybe true if RES has very little serious side effects and this is a known fact. What i am saying is that this product is relatively new with few controlled studies. We only know from what the people say in this forum and from few studies that has been done so far. so either way, pure RES or not,,,,,we are still serving as a Guinea pig til there is a Well controlled Extensive study that comes along for this product.
  • dislike x 2

#366 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

You contradict yourself. YOu say more purer the RES, better it is for the person that is not versed in medicine. Yes from effectiveness point of view. but MOre pure the product, you see more of the True version of the side effect profile of the medication. I am a research scientist so i am well aware of what the pure medication can do. Your version maybe true if RES has very little serious side effects and this is a known fact. What i am saying is that this product is relatively new with few controlled studies. We only know from what the people say in this forum and from few studies that has been done so far. so either way, pure RES or not,,,,,we are still serving as a Guinea pig til there is a Well controlled Extensive study that comes along for this product.

Whoever uses any supplement, even vitamins, uses it at their own risk. That's goes without saying. Additionally there have been many studies done
with resveratrol, not few. This forum is not and never has claimed to be the definitive word. People should read the research and form their own opinions.

I seem to recall that you (FedAce) had quite a few delirious posts (that seem to have since been removed) where you sounded more like a speed freak than a resveratrol user. Resveratrol, if anything, gives a feeling of well being, not energy. Most people I know,( including my 95 year old father), who tried it found it to be very relaxing and not addictive at all. I am surprised you claim to be a research scientist. Your previous posts did not give any evidence of a science background. What kind of research are you involved in?
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#367 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

I seem to recall that you (FedAce) had quite a few delirious posts (that seem to have since been removed) where you sounded more like a speed freak than a resveratrol user. Resveratrol, if anything, gives a feeling of well being, not energy. Most people I know,( including my 95 year old father), who tried it found it to be very relaxing and not addictive at all. I am surprised you claim to be a research scientist. Your previous posts did not give any evidence of a science background. What kind of research are you involved in?

It was moved under Other Conversations: trollish-nonsense

If this continues, the last few posts will be added to that topic for those who wish to peruse them.

#368 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

I had a similar situation when I started Resveratrol. I was using 2 different brands, once I stopped using one of them the joint pain dissipated. I couldnt attribute it to Resveratrol though. As far as looking younger, I would give it time, and exercise. Perhaps you could consider switching to the most popular, pure, micronized, pre-emulsified capsule, its worth the extra money IMO. Throw in some Tocotrienols and RLA (Mito-gold) should really do the trick for facial skin. If you're experiencing benefits with the lower grade Resveratrol, just think what the premium brand will do.

WOW,, thank you so much,, you are the best. Can you tell me Where i can buy these great products that you mention ?? Once again thank you ..:wub:

The sponsor of the supplements forum for one, carries Mito-gold. There are many suppliers of Tocotrienols,.

#369 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:19 AM

Whoever uses any supplement, even vitamins, uses it at their own risk. That's goes without saying. Additionally there have been many studies done
with resveratrol, not few. This forum is not and never has claimed to be the definitive word. People should read the research and form their own opinions.

What i meant by Few studies was that there is few really Good double blinded controlled study that has been done with RES. "Double blind controlled study with human subjects is the Gold standard in medical community". I know, i have been involved as co-author few times myself. So called Retrospective or open poorly controlled studies may have some value but they fall far short of what we demand in the medical community. As far as me being a Speed freak,,,,,,i do drink 2 expresso coffees per day.......does that qualify ????? LOL

Edited by maxwatt, 03 October 2010 - 04:06 AM.
remove excessive post qutes for legibility

#370 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

What makes resveratrol a supplement and not a medication? To argue about what to call it is a completely irrelevant and uninteresting semantic game that makes no difference to the real issue, but for what it is worth, resveratrol is certainly not a supplement in the ordinary sense of the word, given that there is no such thing as a state of resveratrol deficiency in the body. :)

Why is it important to you to call resveratrol a supplement, though? Are you under the impression that calling something a supplement ensures that it is safe and can cause no long-term harm? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Not to mention that there are many counterexamples, existing OTC supplements that can in fact cause long term harm. Also, consider aspirin, which is also a pure botanical extract, and which therefore I suppose should be called a supplement. :wacko: Aspirin can certainly cause major damage, even death, in susceptible people. And aspirin is supposed to be a much milder drug than resveratrol.

I think the concern of some here was the worry that some people that have bad results from resveratrol might not be able to fix the problem by simply stopping to take it (as you propose), as they might have long term deleterious side effects because of some genetic vulnerability or prior disease. The example of possible automimmune disease initiated or exacerbated by resveratrol was mentioned. You can have as much intelligence as you want - you can't fix any physiological damage that may have taken place with the power of your mind alone. :-D

Edited by viveutvivas, 03 October 2010 - 02:05 AM.

#371 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

What makes resveratrol a supplement and not a medication? To argue about what to call it is a completely irrelevant and uninteresting semantic game that makes no difference to the real issue, but for what it is worth, resveratrol is certainly not a supplement in the ordinary sense of the word, given that there is no such thing as a state of resveratrol deficiency in the body. :)

Why is it important to you to call resveratrol a supplement, though? Are you under the impression that calling something a supplement ensures that it is safe and can cause no long-term harm? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Not to mention that there are many counterexamples, existing OTC supplements that can in fact cause long term harm.

The term "supplement" has a legal meaning in the US. Among other things, it means that the substance doesn't have to be formally tested, and is subject to little quality control. It certainly doesn't mean it's safe.

Also, consider aspirin, which is also a pure botanical extract, and which therefore I suppose should be called a supplement. :wacko: Aspirin can certainly cause major damage, even death, in susceptible people. And aspirin is supposed to be a much milder drug than resveratrol.

Who says aspirin is a much milder drug than resveratrol? That's not the case. If it wasn't grandfathered so deeply into our culture, you could never get it approved today; it's way too dangerous. You don't even have to be particularly susceptible. If you take a lot of aspirin for a long time, you will have a fair probability of getting a GI bleed, which if untreated could kill you.
  • like x 2

#372 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding here, but, calling this a medication may bring it under scrutiny and lead to its being pulled off the market. Several other supplements, that affect hormonal axis, have been banned. The primary reason they were banned was because idiots abused them and drew negative attention to the fact they were available. This is not something I want to happen with Resveratrol. Particularly because I really seem to be getting good results, consistently from its regular use, long term.

#373 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

My dad turns 95 tomorrow. He's been taking resveratrol for 3 years. I have no idea how much
he is taking anymore. He used to take 3 to 5 gms a day. I'm not sure what he's taking now but I'm
sure it's considerably less, since he gets it in pill form. He won't tells me what kind or what dose.
He doesn't like to be questioned, especially when he can't read the label without his glasses.
But he swears by it...and at 95 he's sharp as a tack, looking good and still living on his own.

I just started giving it to my dogs again (a couple of weeks ago)...300mg a day. They'll be 12 in Jan.
They both were starting to get a white muzzle...as older dogs do...but I noticed today that it's gone
since I put them back on resveratrol.
When I noticed that, my vanity kicked in and I figured I better get back on it too.
The last time I tried it was the spring of 2009.
I was in Florida at the time so the sun kept the psoriasis in check.
I took about 350 mg and immediately, within an hour, broke out in a rash on my arms that thankfully went away by the next day.
I didn't take it again until today - 150mg 98% pure powder. Although I had no adverse reaction,
I realized after the fact that it might interact with the neoral I'm currently taking.
The only info I could find was this:
Resveratrol was shown to inhibit CYP3A4, CYP2D6, CYP2C9, and to induce CYP1A2, thereby affecting the levels of drugs that are metabolized by these enzymes.
Does anyone know if Neoral would be a drug matabolized by those enzymes?

#374 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:25 PM

In response to this post:

Resveratrol is not metabolized primarily by the CYP enzymes, but by the sulfotransferases: SULT1A et al. While resveratrol may affect CYP, it is much weaker in that regard than grapefruit juice, which I suspct you have been told to avoid.

There is a potential for interaction with CYP3A4. Neoral is a trade-name for a micronized solution of cyclosporine. Cyslosporine has the potential to compete for CYP3A4, which causes severe interaction with statins.

Cyclosporin suppressed P450 3A2 expression and in vitro steroid hydroxylation.
(Kidney International (1998) 54, 216–223; doi:10.1046/j.1523-1755.1998.00970.x
Cyclosporine suppresses rat hepatic cytochrome P450 in a time-dependent manner)

Resveratrol has been reported to inhibit the activity of CYP3A4 in vitro, which would increase the activity of drugs it metabolzes. However,this has not beenobserved in humans or in vivo.

Piver B, Berthou F, Dreano Y, Lucas D. Inhibition of CYP3A, CYP1A and CYP2E1 activities by resveratrol and other non volatile red wine components. Toxicol Lett. 2001;125(1-3):83-91.

Found that even without resveratrol, red wine polyphenols inhibited CYP. Inconclusive.

Regev-Shoshani G, Shoseyov O, Kerem Z. Influence of lipophilicity on the interactions of hydroxy stilbenes with cytochrome P450 3A4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;323(2):668-673.

Found a significant inhibition of human CYP3A4-dependent transformation of cyclosporine by resveratrol, with IC50 = 4.5 microM. The concentration is much higher than attained in blood serum with oral administration of even high doses of resveratrol. Also inconclusive.

In short, resveratrol is a weak inhibitor of some of these enzymes, emphasis on weak. While I cannot confirm that there will be a significant interaction, any such interaction would be dose dependent. There is a possibility inhibition of CYP3A may increase the effects of Neoral. I do think any such interaction is not likely be strong, but I would advise caution. On the other hand, resveratrol has been found to mitigate some of the side effects of Neoral in vitro and in rodents, perhaps without affecting its other actions.

Toxicol Lett. 2001 Dec 15;125(1-3):83-91.
Inhibition of CYP3A, CYP1A and CYP2E1 activities by resveratrol and other non volatile red wine components.
Piver B, Berthou F, Dreano Y, Lucas D.

Laboratory of Biochemistry, EA 948, Faculty of Medicine and I3S, 29285, cedex, Brest, France.
Abstract
Resveratrol (RESV), present at concentrations of about 10 microM in red wine, has been found to inhibit events associated with tumor initiation, promotion and progression. The mechanism involved could be the inhibition of activities catalyzed by cytochromes P450 (CYPs), which activate procarcinogens. This led us to investigate the inhibitory effect of RESV on CYP1A, CYP2E1 and CYP3A enzymatic activities and to compare it to that of non volatile compounds present in red wine. Red wine solids (RWS) were prepared by evaporating one volume of red wine to dryness followed by reconstitution with five volumes of buffer (20% natural strength). CYP activities were determined in microsomes from rat liver, human liver or cells containing cDNA-expressed CYPs. Testosterone, chlorzoxazone, and ethoxyresorufin were used as selective substrates for CYP3A, CYP2E1 and CYP1A1/1A2, respectively. RESV and RWS were found to be irreversible (probably mechanism-based) inhibitors for CYP3A4 and non competitive reversible inhibitors for CYP2E1. Their inhibitory potency was assessed using IC(50) values that were found within 4-150 microM for RESV and 0.3-9% natural strength for RWS. Non volatile compounds of other beverages such as white wine, grape juice or Xtra Old Cognac® displayed lower inhibitory effect on CYP activities than RWS. When considering the concentration of RESV in red wine (2 microM for 20% natural strength), it appears that RSW inhibitory effect was not only due to RESV, but also to other compounds whose identification would prove to be worthwhile because of their possible chemopreventive properties.

PMID: 11701226

Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Oct 15;323(2):668-73.
Influence of lipophilicity on the interactions of hydroxy stilbenes with cytochrome P450 3A4.
Regev-Shoshani G, Shoseyov O, Kerem Z.

Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P.O. Box 12, Rehovot 76100, Israel.
Abstract
Resveratrol, a polyphenol found in red wine, was recently suggested to act as an irreversible, mechanism-based inactivator of cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4). We found a significant inhibition of human CYP3A4-dependent transformation of cyclosporine by resveratrol, with IC50 = 4.5 microM. We studied the kinetics parameters of CYP3A4 transformation of resveratrol and structurally related, naturally occurring stilbenes. Resveratrol, piceid, resveratroloside, 5,4'-dihydroxy-3-O-methoxystilbene, and 5,3-dihydroxy-4'-O-methoxystilbene were all shown to inhibit hydroxylation of testosterone by CYP3A4. Both methoxy-stilbenes had lower IC50 values, ranging from 0.43 to 0.47 microM, suggesting that lipophilicity rather than number or positions of free hydroxyls (3,5 or 5,4') determines the CYP3A4 inhibition capacity of polyphenols. In line with these findings, both glucosyl-stilbenes were found to be weak inhibitors of CYP3A4. The affinity of the enzyme towards methoxy-stilbenes, expressed as apparent Km, was indeed higher than those for the parent resveratrol and its glucosides, in CYP3A4 reaction mixtures. Vmax values were similar, except for piceid. These results support the role of lipophilicity in the interaction of polyphenols with CYP3A4. It is suggested that selective structural modifications of substrates add significantly to knowledge acquired through molecular modifications of the enzyme.

PMID: 15369802

Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005 Aug;20(8):1551-8. Epub 2005 Apr 26.
Diverse effects of natural antioxidants on cyclosporin cytotoxicity in rat renal tubular cells.
Galletti P, Di Gennaro CI, Migliardi V, Indaco S, Della Ragione F, Manna C, Chiodini P, Capasso G, Zappia V.

Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics F. Cedrangolo, Via Costantinopoli, 16, 80138, Napoli, Italia. patrizia.galletti@unina2.it
Abstract
BACKGROUND: As is well known, the use of the immunosuppressive drug cyclosporin A (CsA) is partially restricted by its nephrotoxic effects, which include early changes in haemodynamics followed by irreversible injuries to the renal tubules. Although the mechanisms responsible for these side effects are poorly understood, an involvement of reactive oxygen species (ROS) has been suggested. In this study, we selected three natural antioxidants, resveratrol, hydroxytyrosol and vitamin E, on the basis of their scavenging capabilities, and tested their protective effects against CsA toxicity.

METHODS: Immortalized rat tubular cells (RPTc) were used as the model system. Cell viability was checked with trypan blue assay, and free radical formation was measured using the fluorescent probe 2,7-dichlorofluorescein (DCF). We evaluated several oxidative stress parameters, including phospholipid peroxidation products, glutathione levels and oxygenase expression.

RESULTS: Incubation of RPTc with 25 muM CsA induced a significant decrease in cell viability paralleled by intracellular ROS formation and alterations in lipid peroxidation. There was also an imbalance of glutathione redox state as well as upregulation of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1). The three antioxidants, at micromolar concentration, quantitatively prevented the ROS-activated DCF fluorescent signal and membrane lipid peroxidation. Both hydroxytyrosol and resveratrol strengthened the CsA induction of HO-1 expression. Moreover, vitamin E and resveratrol counteracted CsA-induced changes in the glutathione redox state via different mechanisms, whereas hydroxytyrosol was completely ineffective. Similarly, CsA-dependent nephrotoxicity was prevented by vitamin E, while resveratrol only exerted partial protection, and hydroxytyrosol showed no protective effects.

CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that the diverse cytoprotective effects of the antioxidants tested in these studies were not directly related to their scavenging capabilities. These findings confirm a key role for glutathione in protecting cells from CsA-induced adverse effects and do not support a direct link between CsA-mediated ROS generation and adverse renal effects.

Toxicology
Volume 210, Issue 1, 15 May 2005, Pages 55-64
doi:10.1016/j.tox.2005.01.011

Resveratrol, a polyphenolic phytoalexin protects against cyclosporine-induced nephrotoxicity through nitric oxide dependent mechanism

Vikas Chander, Naveen Tirkey and Kanwaljit Chopra,
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Punjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Received 16 October 2004; revised 21 December 2004; accepted 16 January 2005. Available online 19 February 2005.
Abstract
Cyclosporine A (CsA) is a potent and effective immunosuppressive agent, but its use is frequently accompanied by severe renal toxicity. The causes for the nephrotoxicity of CsA have not been fully elucidated. Intrarenal vasoconstriction induced by several different mediators, both in humans and experimental animals have been proposed. The present study was designed to investigate the possible protective effect of resveratrol on CsA-induced nephrotoxicity and to explore the possible mechanism involved in resveratrol's effect. Eight groups of rats were employed in this study, group 1 served as control, group 2 rats were treated with olive oil (vehicle for CsA), group 3 rats were treated with CsA (20 mg/kg, s.c. for 21 days), groups 4, 5 and 6 received CsA along with resveratrol (2, 5 and 10 mg/kg, p.o. 24 h before and 21 days concurrently), respectively, group 7 rats were treated with NOS inhibitor, L-NAME (10 mg/kg) along with resveratrol and CsA and group 8 rats received L-NAME along with CsA. CsA administration for 21 days resulted in a marked renal oxidative stress, significantly deranged the renal functions, reduced the tissue and urine nitrite levels and markedly altered the renal morphology. Treatment with resveratrol (5 and 10 mg/kg) significantly improved the renal dysfunction; tissue and urine total nitric oxide levels, renal oxidative stress and prevented the alterations in renal morphology. Concurrent administration of L-NAME blocked the protective effect of resveratrol indicating that resveratrol exerts its protective effect by releasing nitric oxide. These results clearly demonstrate the pivotal role of nitric oxide in etiology of CsA nephrotoxicity and indicate the renoprotective potential of resveratrol in CsA nephrotoxicity.

Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2003 Nov;19(6):549-51.
[Effect of resveratrol alone and its combination with cyclosporin A on the immune function of human peripheral blood T lymphocytes]
[Article in Chinese]

Yu L, Wu SL, Zhang M, Pan CE.

Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, First Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an 710061, China. Yuliang@163.com
Abstract
AIM: To investigate the effect of resveratrol (Res) alone and its combination with cyclosporin A (CsA) on the proliferation of human peripheral blood T lymphocytes (hPBTCs), transformation into lymphoblasts, as well as IL-2 and INF-gamma production.

METHODS: The proliferation of hPBTCs was detected by MTT colorimetry. The lymphocyte transformation rate was examined by morphologic method. The levels of IL-2 and INF-gamma in lymphocyte culture supernatant were detected by ELISA.

RESULTS: When the concentration of resveratrol was over 2.5 mg/L, especially 10 mg/L, the proliferation and transformation rate of hPBTCs decreased significantly (P<0.05). The levels of IL-2 and INF-gamma in lymphocyte culture supernatant reduced markedly (P<0.05), on condition that the concentration of resveratrol was over 5 mg/L. The combination of more than 2.5 mg/L of resveratrol with cyclosporine A had synergism.

CONCLUSION: Resveratrol can suppress notably the proliferation and transformation of human lymphocytes and the combination of resveratrol at a given concentration with cyclosporine A can enhance immune suppression.

Note the concentration of resveratrol to achieve these results is higher than can be obtained by oral administration.

#375 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

Max, that drug interaction with cyclosporin and RES could be potentially dangerous. We shoot for very specific narrow range of cyclosporin level in transplant patients. If the effect is potentiated in a manner unknown, that could have effects that could be harmful.

#376 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

CONCLUSION: Resveratrol can suppress notably the proliferation and transformation of human lymphocytes and the combination of resveratrol at a given concentration with cyclosporine A can enhance immune suppression.

Note the concentration of resveratrol to achieve these results is higher than can be obtained by oral administration.

Thanks for the info. I'm interpreting it to mean that 150 mg of res would be insignificant as to its effect on cyclosporine. is that correct?

#377 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm interpreting it to mean that 150 mg of res would be insignificant as to its effect on cyclosporine. is that correct?

We don't know. It is more likely resveratrol's effect is enhanced by cyclosporine, rather than the other way around. Resveratrol only weakly blocks CYP3A4 by competitive inhibition, but consider the dose: you get a rash when you take a larger dose of resveratrol, the lower dose does not give you a rash. It is likely some low dose, perhaps 150 mg, does not trigger an attack. You can monitor your cyclosporine level indirectly; when it's too low you get psoriasis. Since you are taking cyclosporine to control psoriasis, as long as you don't have an attack, you can consider it as working. The absolute safest thing to do would be to abstain from resveratrol, even though your self-experimentation seems to show you can tolerate 150 mg, at least in the short term.

350 mg gave you a rash before you were being treated with cyclosporine. 150mg does not give you a rash now, while you are being treated with cyclosporin. If you insist on experimenting with resveratrol, look for indications of cyclosporin overdose, which could include all the side effects listed in the pamphlet that came with the medication:

• urinating less than usual or not at all;
  • drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst;
  • swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
  • blurred vision, headache or pain behind your eyes, sometimes with vomiting;
  • seizure (convulsions);
  • muscle pain or weakness, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed;
  • pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness; or
  • nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:

• tremors or shaking;
  • increased hair growth;
  • headache or body pain;
  • diarrhea, constipation, vomiting; or
  • numbness or tingly feeling.

#378 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

If a Drug company ever does market this product as a Prescription medication for indication such as Alzeimer's disease, they will have to do an Extensive drug drug interaction study to make sure there is a firm understanding of how this RES affects the levels of Critical medication such as Cyclosporin. and I am sure there are many other drug interactions that we dont' even know about yet. so this fountain of Youth,,if it is that will need at least 5-10 more years of extensive study before it sees the day of light. so til then, we will continue to serve as guinea pigs in this wonderful experiment.

#379 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Why is it important to you to call resveratrol a supplement, though? Are you under the impression that calling something a supplement ensures that it is safe and can cause no long-term harm? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? Not to mention that there are many counterexamples, existing OTC supplements that can in fact cause long term harm.

The term "supplement" has a legal meaning in the US. Among other things, it means that the substance doesn't have to be formally tested, and is subject to little quality control. It certainly doesn't mean it's safe.

Agreed about the safety. But remember that the U.S. is not the world, and the U.S.F.D.A. is not the god of the Dictionary of the English Language. :-D

Also, consider aspirin, which is also a pure botanical extract, and which therefore I suppose should be called a supplement. :wacko: Aspirin can certainly cause major damage, even death, in susceptible people. And aspirin is supposed to be a much milder drug than resveratrol.

Who says aspirin is a much milder drug than resveratrol? That's not the case. If it wasn't grandfathered so deeply into our culture, you could never get it approved today; it's way too dangerous. You don't even have to be particularly susceptible. If you take a lot of aspirin for a long time, you will have a fair probability of getting a GI bleed, which if untreated could kill you.

It is silly to argue about what is a stronger drug, and I should not have started a pissing match. What does "stronger" mean? I don't think there is a meaningful way of collapsing the multi-dimensional data representing effects and side effects into a single real number that can be compared with <, = or >. :) What I meant is that resveratrol is claimed to have a much wider ranging effect on the body and its disease states than is being claimed for aspirin. I even read somewhere that resveratrol will take out the trash on Sundays. :-D

Edited by viveutvivas, 06 October 2010 - 06:08 PM.

#380 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

It is silly to argue about what is a stronger drug, and I should not have started a pissing match. What does "stronger" mean? I don't think there is a meaningful way of collapsing the multi-dimensional data representing effects and side effects into a single real number that can be compared with <, = or >. :) What I meant is that resveratrol is claimed to have a much wider ranging effect on the body and its disease states than is being claimed for aspirin. I even read somewhere that resveratrol will take out the trash on Sundays. :-D

Oh, ok. There's a term for that; in the drug development world they call a drug that hits a lot of different receptors "promiscuous". (I like that term...) "Stronger" usually refers to potency, while "milder" usually means the drug is safer.

#381 AmandaS

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

You could try mixing a little resveratrol powder into you favorite face cream; a couple of ladies I know say it reduces fine facial wrinkles. Try it someplace not obvious first in case of allergic reaction. But another woman I know used this on one half of her face, and said she could not see a difference. But I don't think she gave it more than two or three weeks.

I've heard some talk of topical resveratrol being useful. It doesn't seem to be generating a terrific amount of buzz in the skin care world, FWIW. I'm strongly in favor of doing a split face experiment with any topical you try. It's the perfect opportunity for a meaningful test. I've done this with Juvess and was convinced of its efficacy (for me, anyway) by the test. I'm currently trialing a low concentration retinaldehyde. Effects are real but subtle; I will probably move to either a higher concentration of retinaldehyde or to retinoic acid next.

I would not expect any effect on signs of aging in the face from oral resveratrol, assuming nothing else changes. If the resveratrol is accompanied with weight loss, uptick in exercise level, dietary change or whatnot, you may see effects, and they might be secondarily related to resveratrol use. If one is interested in oral substances that have a positive effect on skin, there is evidence in favor of BioSil (presumably extends to JarrowSil) and for Lutein.

Actually, Resveratrol has been in the skin care market for some time now. Estee Lauder's top selling Synchronized Recovery Night Serum is based on a patented specialized concentrate of resveratrol. It has been out for some time now and sold worldwide. It has 5 star reviews and has put Estee Lauder's skincare products back on the map. Also the Re-nutriv products contain the same technology.

"It took eight years of research, but Dr Maes and the Estée Lauder team eventually came up with Resveratrate - or the "Youth Molecule", as they term it - which is five times more potent and six times more expensive than traditional resveratrol.

"It's very concentrated, very stable and, most importantly, gives a time-released dose of resveratrol to the dermis to promote skin cell longevity, and buys the skin cells more time to repair damage." And the figures are impressive. According to Dr Maes, the Youth Molecule provides six times more protection from environmental damage, more than doubling the survival rate of skin cells." March 10 2008, Resveratrol: An Anti-Ageing Breakthrough

#382 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Actually, Resveratrol has been in the skin care market for some time now. Estee Lauder's top selling Synchronized Recovery Night Serum is based on a patented specialized concentrate of resveratrol. It has been out for some time now and sold worldwide. It has 5 star reviews and has put Estee Lauder's skincare products back on the map. Also the Re-nutriv products contain the same technology.

"It took eight years of research, but Dr Maes and the Estée Lauder team eventually came up with Resveratrate - or the "Youth Molecule", as they term it - which is five times more potent and six times more expensive than traditional resveratrol.

"It's very concentrated, very stable and, most importantly, gives a time-released dose of resveratrol to the dermis to promote skin cell longevity, and buys the skin cells more time to repair damage." And the figures are impressive. According to Dr Maes, the Youth Molecule provides six times more protection from environmental damage, more than doubling the survival rate of skin cells." March 10 2008, Resveratrol: An Anti-Ageing Breakthrough

Estee Lauder's been on the map with skin care products for a loooong time. I used their products in the 70's. They were cutting edge then...not to mention the fact that they took over producing Creme de La Mer in the early 90's....and that is most definitely on the map.
Have you used the Synchronized Recovery Night Serum?

#383 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

I think they are probably playing on the reputation of resveratrol as the "Youth Molecule", whether that title is deserved or not. The product might be getting purchased as a result of the resveratrol hype as much as the results that are obtained from it. They are making some claims that sound like they're exploiting the known anti-apoptosis effect of resveratrol, and there may be something to that. I'd like to see a comparison to other compounds, like ascorbic acid or tea extracts.

#384 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Update on taking resveratrol while on neoral (cyclosporine) for Psoriasis:

I started taking resveratrol regularly a couple of weeks ago - before going to yoga - about 150-200 mg.
directly in my mouth under my tongue, allowing it to absorb rather than swallowing it.
About 3 or 4 days into it, a couple of very small spots that remained but were inactive started to itch.
They hadn't itched at all before.
I kept taking it to see if it would escalate, and it did. The spots became enlarged, very itchy and red.
I continued, mostly out of curiosity, until a new spot appeared on the back of my leg where I had been totally
clear. That was a few days ago. Of course I stopped taking it at that point. Since then all the spots have
considerably diminished and stopped itching.
Res definitely is a catalyst. Must be something with the T cell
inhibition...maybe it tweaks it up. I don't really know but it definitely had an impact.

#385 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Why resveratrol produces this effect is not clear, but it does have this effect on you, you should stay not be using it.

Curiouly, resveratrol induces apoptosis (cell death) in T-cells in vitro, but has little or no effect in vivo.

Biochem Pharmacol. 2003 Dec 15;66(12):2427-35.
Immunomodulatory activity of resveratrol: discrepant in vitro and in vivo immunological effects.
Gao X, Deeb D, Media J, Divine G, Jiang H, Chapman RA, Gautam SC.

Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, K-13, Henry Ford Health System, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202, USA.
Abstract
trans-Resveratrol is a dietary polyphenolic compound present in grapes, which has been shown to exhibit strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and chemopreventive activities. In this study we have compared the in vitro and in vivo effects of resveratrol on the development of various cell-mediated immune responses, including mitogen/antigen-induced T cell proliferation, induction of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTLs), interleukin-2 (IL-2) induced lymphokine activated killer cells, and cytokine production. We found significant suppression (>90%) of the mitogen/antigen-induced T cell proliferation and development of allo-antigen specific CTLs in vitro with resveratrol at a concentration of 25 microM. Intragastric administration of resveratrol (2 mg daily) to mice for 4 weeks showed no effect on age-related gain in body weight, peripheral blood cell counts (WBC, RBC, or platelets), or the cellularity of bone marrow or spleen. The CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells in spleen or colony-forming units-total in the marrow also remained unaffected by treatment with resveratrol. Spleen cells, which were stimulated in vitro after being removed from mice which had been administered resveratrol for 2 or 4 weeks, showed no significant change in IL-2 or concanavalin A induced proliferation of T cells or production of IL-2 induced lymphokine activated killer cells. Further, the production of in interferon-gamma and IL-12 was not affected by administration of resveratrol, but production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha was reduced. Even when conducted entirely in vivo, treatment with resveratrol was found to only marginally reduce allo-antigen induced T cell proliferation and the generation of CTLs in the draining lymph nodes. Thus, even though resveratrol strongly inhibits T cell proliferation and production of cytolytic cells in vitro, oral administration of resveratrol for 4 weeks does not induce hematologic or hematopoietic toxicity, and only marginally reduces the T cell-mediated immune responses.

PMID: 14637200

#386 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

I just got done with a month of adding a Nitro MX pill to my daily 500 mg of Nitro 250. I wasn't able to note any differences during the month. I feel like I have hit some kind of tolerance level after a few years of taking rsv, where all side effects seem minimal or muted. A few months ago I put 6 grams of 99% powder into a cup of delicious hot chocolate, and beyond giving the hot chocolate a bitter flavor, again nothing new or different seemed to happen. (I know, maybe the the heat killed the rsv, but it wasn't really THAT hot...) Conversely, when I go on trips/vacations, I also take a vacation from rsv, and I don't seem to feel anything different from not taking it either.

I am wondering if maybe my body has hit some kind of rsv saturation level that others have mentioned, where I really don't need to take as much any more. If I cut down to one Nitro 250 pill per day, I could save a pretty good sum of money, and maybe I wouldn't miss the extra 250 mg...

#387 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

My sentiments have been similar, however, I still feel a difference when I take it, I exercise regularly though and there is a perceived bit of extra stamina, when used. The other thing is, if I take it later in the day, it will disrupt sleep. Im probably using less than a gram weekly. Im keeping it in my regimen indefinately, oral and TD.

#388 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

I just got done with a month of adding a Nitro MX pill to my daily 500 mg of Nitro 250. I wasn't able to note any differences during the month. I feel like I have hit some kind of tolerance level after a few years of taking rsv, where all side effects seem minimal or muted. A few months ago I put 6 grams of 99% powder into a cup of delicious hot chocolate, and beyond giving the hot chocolate a bitter flavor, again nothing new or different seemed to happen. (I know, maybe the the heat killed the rsv, but it wasn't really THAT hot...) Conversely, when I go on trips/vacations, I also take a vacation from rsv, and I don't seem to feel anything different from not taking it either.

I am wondering if maybe my body has hit some kind of rsv saturation level that others have mentioned, where I really don't need to take as much any more. If I cut down to one Nitro 250 pill per day, I could save a pretty good sum of money, and maybe I wouldn't miss the extra 250 mg...

Along a similar line, I tried something that I did every once in a while a couple years ago -- a couple grams 99% powder in the mouth washed down by a beer. Used to give me a tremendous sense of well-being, but yesterday no more than t he normal buzz of one beer on an empty stomach... I am partially numb to resveratrol now I think! (Or at least the placebo effect has diminished.)

#389 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

As mentioned previously, elsewhere, and, of course, this is no reflection upon the collective level of intellectual development, here, or in the states for that matter, then, as of, now, I have concluded that Resveratrol works for me, but, there is a limit as to, when, during the day, I can take it, and how often, during the week, month, etc. it can be used.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#390 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

What about Dry Flaky skin ?? Has anyone experienced this ? I think i heard this somewhere being a issue with RES. Not sure if this is due to dry weather of Winter season or it is RES ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users