Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Resveratrol Side Effects, good and bad

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#391 hmm

• 143 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

What about Dry Flaky skin ?? Has anyone experienced this ? I think i heard this somewhere being a issue with RES. Not sure if this is due to dry weather of Winter season or it is RES ?

Only on my fingers, where I have had a history of dry flaky skin, to the point where I wouldn't be able to distinguish between skin that was just dry from winter in Southern CA or skin that might be a bit drier from rsv...
  • like x 1

#392 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

What about Dry Flaky skin ?? Has anyone experienced this ? I think i heard this somewhere being a issue with RES. Not sure if this is due to dry weather of Winter season or it is RES ?

Only on my fingers, where I have had a history of dry flaky skin, to the point where I wouldn't be able to distinguish between skin that was just dry from winter in Southern CA or skin that might be a bit drier from rsv...

I have to disagree with you big time. After i read your comments, i kept on watching my skin conditin and it is becoming very Dry, so dry that it is itching and becoming flaky. Never had this condition before even during cold winter month. I am not sure if i can live with this side effect.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#393 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have to disagree with you big time. After i read your comments, i kept on watching my skin conditin and it is becoming very Dry, so dry that it is itching and becoming flaky. Never had this condition before even during cold winter month. I am not sure if i can live with this side effect.

So stop taking resveratrol it's a problem, and see if the dry skin gets better. Of course most people in the north tend to get dry skin in the winter, from dry heat. If you want the eneficial effects, many of them can be had with other polyphenols, such as Silymarin, Curcumin, Luteolin to name a few.

#394 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

So stop taking resveratrol it's a problem, and see if the dry skin gets better. Of course most people in the north tend to get dry skin in the winter, from dry heat. If you want the eneficial effects, many of them can be had with other polyphenols, such as Silymarin, Curcumin, Luteolin to name a few.

For energy and weight loss ,,, YES. but what about the anti-inflammatory effects ? my Plantar fascitis is much better with RES.

#395 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

and also RES may cause Liver Failure as well. Let me add that to the list. My liver enzymes are going UP. since i had my physical exam. this is after i started RES

#396 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

For energy and weight loss ,,, YES. but what about the anti-inflammatory effects ? my Plantar fascitis is much better with RES.

Curcumin is an nf-Kappa B agonist, like resveratrol,a nd has similar anti-inflammatory properties, as does Luteolin. Silymarin is a potent P53 deacetylase, like resveratrol, and should have similar anti-cancer properties. FWIW, I cam across a paper where they measured greater effect with Silymarin than with NAC for restoring liver function after acetominiphen overdose, in mice.

Good luck with it.
  • like x 1

#397 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

Curcumin is an nf-Kappa B agonist, like resveratrol,a nd has similar anti-inflammatory properties, as does Luteolin. Silymarin is a potent P53 deacetylase, like resveratrol, and should have similar anti-cancer properties. FWIW, I cam across a paper where they measured greater effect with Silymarin than with NAC for restoring liver function after acetominiphen overdose, in mice.

Good luck with it.

Isn't Silymarin one of the herbs that you take for bad Liver ?? my Liver function is only slightly elevated like 2X normal. My doctor doesn't know if this is caused by Motrin + Coffee i use before tennis like 3 X per week or caused by RES ?? We don't know. He told me to stop RES and Motrin and see if it improves to figure out what the cause is.
Ok then with Curcumin, Luteolin, and Silymarin,,,,Which one should i take ?? Or should i take ALL three ?? would that be over-kill ? and is there a pill that has ALL three ingredients in ONE ?

#398 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:25 AM

Isn't Silymarin one of the herbs that you take for bad Liver ?? my Liver function is only slightly elevated like 2X normal. My doctor doesn't know if this is caused by Motrin + Coffee i use before tennis like 3 X per week or caused by RES ?? We don't know. He told me to stop RES and Motrin and see if it improves to figure out what the cause is.
Ok then with Curcumin, Luteolin, and Silymarin,,,,Which one should i take ?? Or should i take ALL three ?? would that be over-kill ? and is there a pill that has ALL three ingredients in ONE ?

Silymarin for the liver then. I would have thought resveratrol would be similarly beneficial for the liver, but it's not been studied.

Curcumin is well documented for an herbal substance, to reduce inflammation and pain. Together they should be complementary. Best taken in the morning so as not to interfere with circadian rhythms.

Luteolin is something of a wild card, and I am still evaluating and studying it. Like resveratrol it activates SIRT1, by some assays even more powerfully than resveratrol. It also reduces inflammation, and it inhibits PDE4, and so activates dopamine D2 receptors in the hippocampus which may function as an antidepressant. It has been found to protect hippocampal neurons from the effects of sleep deprivation, improving memory, including spatial memory (in rodents, but I don't see why this would not apply to other mammals.) Luteolin glycosides are abundant in the herb rosemary, which has been a folk remedy to improve memory for centuries. I can't unequivocally recommend it as a supplement for long term use, as long term effects haven't been studied, but I also believe it is safe enough, that I've no problem taking half a gram a day.

AFAIK, no single supplement contains only two or three of these.
  • like x 1

#399 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

Silymarin for the liver then. I would have thought resveratrol would be similarly beneficial for the liver, but it's not been studied.

Curcumin is well documented for an herbal substance, to reduce inflammation and pain. Together they should be complementary. Best taken in the morning so as not to interfere with circadian rhythms.

Luteolin is something of a wild card, and I am still evaluating and studying it. Like resveratrol it activates SIRT1, by some assays even more powerfully than resveratrol. It also reduces inflammation, and it inhibits PDE4, and so activates dopamine D2 receptors in the hippocampus which may function as an antidepressant. It has been found to protect hippocampal neurons from the effects of sleep deprivation, improving memory, including spatial memory (in rodents, but I don't see why this would not apply to other mammals.) Luteolin glycosides are abundant in the herb rosemary, which has been a folk remedy to improve memory for centuries. I can't unequivocally recommend it as a supplement for long term use, as long term effects haven't been studied, but I also believe it is safe enough, that I've no problem taking half a gram a day.

Where do i buy Luteolin ? and other 2. I think Silymarin is sold at "Vitamin Shoppe" but Curcumin and Luteolin not so sure..

#400 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:51 AM

Where do i buy Luteolin ? and other 2. I think Silymarin is sold at "Vitamin Shoppe" but Curcumin and Luteolin not so sure..

Vitamin Shoppe sells several brands of Curcumin pills. However the most cost effective is to buy powder and weigh out or measure your dose. Beyond-a-century.com carries powdered curcumin, as well as powdered luteolin. Kingherbs.com has carried luteolin powder in the past, and may do so again.

Curcumin is generally not very bioavailable. The most comprehensive description of taking it to increase absorption comes from multiple myeloma patients (see Margaret's Corner, a blog by such a patient.) She takes four grams or more daily, (I don't think healthy people need so much) and gently heats it in coconut oil, and drinks it or takes with food. Some sources recommend a little turmeric in the mix to increae absorption, but I do not know if this works. Coconut oil tastes yucky to drink in quantity. I've dispersed or disolved up to 600 mg in a teaspoon or two of food grade glycerin, and stirred this into water. It's faintly sweet, goes down easily. Some yellow clumps stay in the glass, but I think I absorb most of it. I observed reduced inflammation of the joints, about as effective as resveratrol, but this is hard to confirm, I did not do this long enough to be certain. Arthritic pain comes and goes which is why almost anything cab be found to help, for some people, for a while. But the medical literature is full of studies showing a reduction in inflammation.

Revgenetics sold, for a while, a supposedly more bioavailable form of Curcumin, dissolved in MCT oil in gelatin caps. MCT oil is derived from coconut oil. In theory it is or was a good product, but I've not used it and do not know how well it worked or if they are still marketing it.

I think if you take a C3-type curcumin powder, half a gram to a gram (1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp) and just wash it down with water or milk (for the fat), then eat something for breakfast so as avoid stomach upset (toast and butter? a little fat of somekind) it will probably work for you purposes. It worked for me, or seemed to for the month I used it, both with and without resveratrol.

One more note on Silymarin: two Japanese papers, same researcher, claimed it activates SIRT1. I'd like to see this confirmed. I suspect it does.

#401 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

Vitamin Shoppe sells several brands of Curcumin pills. However the most cost effective is to buy powder and weigh out or measure your dose. Beyond-a-century.com carries powdered curcumin, as well as powdered luteolin. Kingherbs.com has carried luteolin powder in the past, and may do so again.

Curcumin is generally not very bioavailable. The most comprehensive description of taking it to increase absorption comes from multiple myeloma patients (see Margaret's Corner, a blog by such a patient.) She takes four grams or more daily, (I don't think healthy people need so much) and gently heats it in coconut oil, and drinks it or takes with food. Some sources recommend a little turmeric in the mix to increae absorption, but I do not know if this works. Coconut oil tastes yucky to drink in quantity. I've dispersed or disolved up to 600 mg in a teaspoon or two of food grade glycerin, and stirred this into water. It's faintly sweet, goes down easily. Some yellow clumps stay in the glass, but I think I absorb most of it. I observed reduced inflammation of the joints, about as effective as resveratrol, but this is hard to confirm, I did not do this long enough to be certain. Arthritic pain comes and goes which is why almost anything cab be found to help, for some people, for a while. But the medical literature is full of studies showing a reduction in inflammation.

Revgenetics sold, for a while, a supposedly more bioavailable form of Curcumin, dissolved in MCT oil in gelatin caps. MCT oil is derived from coconut oil. In theory it is or was a good product, but I've not used it and do not know how well it worked or if they are still marketing it.

I think if you take a C3-type curcumin powder, half a gram to a gram (1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp) and just wash it down with water or milk (for the fat), then eat something for breakfast so as avoid stomach upset (toast and butter? a little fat of somekind) it will probably work for you purposes. It worked for me, or seemed to for the month I used it, both with and without resveratrol.

One more note on Silymarin: two Japanese papers, same researcher, claimed it activates SIRT1. I'd like to see this confirmed. I suspect it does.

Max, one thing i like to tell you is that i also take Nutrasea fish oil 1 gram capsule per day. and it lowered by triglycerides by 40 points in 3 month, lowered my cholesterols and raised my HDL. INCREDIBLE. I took it based on reasearch study done at Stanford med school but i never thought only 1 gram would do all that. Not to this degree anyway.
I have to go off RES now, i have no choice due to this dry skin issue. Liver issue is only mild and i suspect it is due to Motrin i took, not RES. but i will really miss that Extra energy, and Better Memory (important in my profession) and Age reversing effect of RES. So for these benefits, which 2 is best out of 3 you mentioned ?? taking 3 different pill or herb product is too many pills. I like to try 2 out of 3 of those.

#402 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

625282' post='458408']
Max, one thing i like to tell you is that i also take Nutrasea fish oil 1 gram capsule per day. and it lowered by triglycerides by 40 points in 3 month, lowered my cholesterols and raised my HDL. INCREDIBLE. I took it based on reasearch study done at Stanford med school but i never thought only 1 gram would do all that. Not to this degree anyway.
I have to go off RES now, i have no choice due to this dry skin issue. Liver issue is only mild and i suspect it is due to Motrin i took, not RES. but i will really miss that Extra energy, and Better Memory (important in my profession) and Age reversing effect of RES. So for these benefits, which 2 is best out of 3 you mentioned ?? taking 3 different pill or herb product is too many pills. I like to try 2 out of 3 of those.

If I were to use a single one of these right now, it would be luteolin. Silymarin a close second, but if it did not reduce inflammation I would take it with curcumin.

Everyone's biochemistry is a little different, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I think from what I gather from your posting history, you might do better with silymarin and curcumin.

Glad the fish oil improved your lipid profile.
  • like x 1

#403 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

625282' post='458408']

If I were to use a single one of these right now, it would be luteolin. Silymarin a close second, but if it did not reduce inflammation I would take it with curcumin.

Everyone's biochemistry is a little different, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I think from what I gather from your posting history, you might do better with silymarin and curcumin.

I was diagnosed with having Fatty Liver after ultrasound of abdomin. My doctor said. That is why my Liver function test in the lab was abnormal. Seeing a GI specialist in 2 weeks. Obviously fish Oil caps didn't help with that condition...

#404 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

625282' post='458408']

Which one of these will increase my energy level like RES did ? Now that i am off RES, i am noticing my energy level isn't anywhere near good.
One other thing is that RES was supposed to make you Younger, right ? but i actually looked older because of my dry skin, and it was so dry, it was causing wrinkles on the neck and face too. but Gray hair went away. Very weird.....Very difficult to figure out this RES ...

#405 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

625282' post='458408']

Which one of these will increase my energy level like RES did ? Now that i am off RES, i am noticing my energy level isn't anywhere near good.
One other thing is that RES was supposed to make you Younger, right ? but i actually looked older because of my dry skin, and it was so dry, it was causing wrinkles on the neck and face too. but Gray hair went away. Very weird.....Very difficult to figure out this RES ...

Low D3 levels is associated with dry skin. Fatty liver is most often associated with alcoholism, but there are other little understood causes. Both Silymarin and luteolin are likely to provide some of the energy effect you noticed from resveratrol. But the only way to tell is to try it. And again, if you r doctor advised you to stop taking resveratrol while he monitored your liver, what makes yo think it will be alright with him to take other, similar substances? He might approve of silymarin if you ask him, or he may not. I have a good idea how these supplements act in general terms, but I can't tell how they will affect you specifically.

WRT the dry skin, might it be psoriasis?
  • like x 1

#406 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

625282' post='458408']

Low D3 levels is associated with dry skin. Fatty liver is most often associated with alcoholism, but there are other little understood causes. Both Silymarin and luteolin are likely to provide some of the energy effect you noticed from resveratrol. But the only way to tell is to try it. And again, if you r doctor advised you to stop taking resveratrol while he monitored your liver, what makes yo think it will be alright with him to take other, similar substances? He might approve of silymarin if you ask him, or he may not. I have a good idea how these supplements act in general terms, but I can't tell how they will affect you specifically.

WRT the dry skin, might it be psoriasis?

He told me to stop taking Motrin not RES. anyway, it is not psoriasis. I never had that condition. It might be contact dermatitis of some sort. I have been off of RES for 5 days now, and my skin is already getting better. so Watch out for skin side effects with RES 250mg. I thought Silymarin was for the Liver. because i think that is the one my Vetenarian told me to give my Dog when my dog went into Liver failure, 5 years ago. am i right on this ?

#407 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:43 AM

I have been participating in this thread for years since my initial symptoms. I was recently finally diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, an autoimmune inflammatory condition of the spine and often other joints.

I am still wondering about a possible causal relationship between my resveratrol use and the start of my symptoms.

Edited by viveutvivas, 04 April 2011 - 02:45 AM.

• like x 1

#408 FedAce

• 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:15 AM

I have been participating in this thread for years since my initial symptoms. I was recently finally diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, an autoimmune inflammatory condition of the spine and often other joints.

I am still wondering about a possible causal relationship between my resveratrol use and the start of my symptoms.

Agree. I think til we know much more about this compound, we should warn people to stay AWAY from it. There are side effects we have no idea about. so it is best to stay away.

#409 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the AS. Do you think you're a candidate for an anti-TNF Mab? Your report is another one that says resveratrol doesn't get along well with autoimmune conditions. Hard to say whether it could be causal, but I could understand your suspicion.

#410 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

There are reports suggesting resveratrol helps reduce inflamation for AS. AS seems to have a large genetic component as do many autoimmune diseases. The onset could have been coincidence, or maybe not. When there are conflicting reports on something, usually another confounding factor is inviolved. The usefulness of green tea is known to depend on phenotype, perhaps this is the case for resveratrol?

#411 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I was diagnosed with having Fatty Liver after ultrasound of abdomin. My doctor said. That is why my Liver function test in the lab was abnormal. Seeing a GI specialist in 2 weeks. Obviously fish Oil caps didn't help with that condition...

Diet can help with fatty liver. Non-alcoholic liver is becoming more and more common. Here is my story. My ALT liver function rose to 75, the reference range is 0-55 early in 2009. A sonar exam indicated fatty liver. I had gotten chubby, so I started the Eades' 6 Week cure. The diet quickly reduced my ALT to a low 24.

In Dr Eades' cure book, he says that saturated fat will lower high liver enzymes and reduce fatty liver. A good tasting essential part of the diet was coconut milk protein shakes. Coconut milk is high in medium chain triglycerides. Be careful when buying cans of coconut milk. Don't get the low fat ones, get the regular coconut milk. 11 grams of fat per 1/4 cup.

#412 gomesbs

• 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi!

I have also the same doubt! I was diagnosed with AS too... All my family from my mother's side is HLAB27 positive, but I'm the only one diagnosed with AS.

In 2007 I had an uveitis flare, but only in 2008 started in resveratrol, In late 2009 I had a strong arthritis flare I barely could move, fortunately I recovered greatly, but not completely. I have some pain on my knee, but my left eye has recurrent uveitis...

I had my first signal (uveitis) before Res but I'm not sure if it contributed to the onset of joints symptoms... I stopped res when I had the strong joint flare, but when I restarted it seemed to help to alleviate symptoms.

Now I'm using it,but not sure if I should stop ,now that I was diagnosed since it may alleviate my symptoms...

Edited by gomesbs, 04 April 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#413 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

I just had a colonoscopy a few weeks back. The doctor thinks I got dysentery or giardia or some sort of parasite in my stomach from bad water in Costa Rica. I agreed. But, I also told him that my problems were exacerbated by resveratrol. I am so Damn freaking mad at the person who recommended this shite. I cannot tell you how sick I felt. Those pills made me feel worse. I have never felt this bad in my whole life.

Ok, let me repeat. I don't think pain in my colon was caused by this drug. I think that it was a parasite. These pills in my non-amateur opinion made things worse. How can I prove it? I cannot. It is a suspicion. It is just my intuition. I never tested positive for a parasite, but after I took the pills, I had loose stools. Slowly over time it got worse.

I lost 15 pounds. I feel scammed. I am going to call them and ask them for a refund. There should be warnings on this product.

HOLY &%$@!!! I have had tendinitis arthritis and muscle pain for about 5 years since I took resveratrol. It's been the worst and toughest 5 years of my life. I had a mental breakdown and had to change careers. And perhaps there was a link with this supplement.

Let it be known, that I also took Cipro months prior and it produces similar side effects in a few people that take it. And you are a higher risk factor if you have ever been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. That I have. I always put blame on Cipro... but It could have been this supplement too. Or perhaps everything combined.

But, let it be known that there are a lot of people on here that have had problems with their auto-immune diseases too.

I have had headaches and insomnia too. hmmmm....

#414 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi!

I have also the same doubt! I was diagnosed with AS too... All my family from my mother's side is HLAB27 positive, but I'm the only one diagnosed with AS.

In 2007 I had an uveitis flare, but only in 2008 started in resveratrol, In late 2009 I had a strong arthritis flare I barely could move, fortunately I recovered greatly, but not completely. I have some pain on my knee, but my left eye has recurrent uveitis...

I had my first signal (uveitis) before Res but I'm not sure if it contributed to the onset of joints symptoms... I stopped res when I had the strong joint flare, but when I restarted it seemed to help to alleviate symptoms.

Now I'm using it,but not sure if I should stop ,now that I was diagnosed since it may alleviate my symptoms...

See this thread particularly Dr. (PhD) Savouret's contribution: Res is a systemic anti-inflamatory; I would think it likely helpful for AS in this regard, for pain relief et al. It also affects osteoclasts and osteoblasts, thus bone remodeling, which is involved with AS. But whether this would alleviate or worsen the condition long-term I do not know.

I just had a colonoscopy a few weeks back. The doctor thinks I got dysentery or giardia or some sort of parasite in my stomach from bad water in Costa Rica. I agreed. But, I also told him that my problems were exacerbated by resveratrol. I am so Damn freaking mad at the person who recommended this shite. I cannot tell you how sick I felt. Those pills made me feel worse. I have never felt this bad in my whole life.

Ok, let me repeat. I don't think pain in my colon was caused by this drug. I think that it was a parasite. These pills in my non-amateur opinion made things worse. How can I prove it? I cannot. It is a suspicion. It is just my intuition. I never tested positive for a parasite, but after I took the pills, I had loose stools. Slowly over time it got worse.

I lost 15 pounds. I feel scammed. I am going to call them and ask them for a refund. There should be warnings on this product.

HOLY &%$@!!! I have had tendinitis arthritis and muscle pain for about 5 years since I took resveratrol. It's been the worst and toughest 5 years of my life. I had a mental breakdown and had to change careers. And perhaps there was a link with this supplement.

Let it be known, that I also took Cipro months prior and it produces similar side effects in a few people that take it. And you are a higher risk factor if you have ever been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. That I have. I always put blame on Cipro... but It could have been this supplement too. Or perhaps everything combined.

But, let it be known that there are a lot of people on here that have had problems with their auto-immune diseases too.

I have had headaches and insomnia too. hmmmm....

I'm sorry to hear about your RA. Back in 2007 and 2008 there was discussion here about a paper that implied resveratrol would aggravate some auto-immune conditions such as RA, or psoriasis, and I've repeatedly cautioned against its use in such situations,( though some auto-immune diseases have had beneficial effects reported .) But it is like food poisoning, people attribute the disease to whatever they last ate before getting sick, sort of a reverse-placebo effect.

While I cannot deny your RA has been worsened by your use of resveratrol, neither can I place great weight on your attribution of a host of general symptoms to your unfortunate historical ingestion of this supplement. Your problems could as easily be due to undiagnosed Lyme disease, as an alternate explanation. In fact, your litany of symptoms is identical to those of long-term Lyme sufferers! If you live in the Eastern United States or the Pacific Coast and spend much time outdoors, you might want to ask your doctor for a Lyme test. The worst effects can be avoided with antibiotic treatment, and left untreated the disease is crippling.
  • like x 1

#415 cudBwrong

• 106 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

cudBwrong, 1.0 g/day, 98% Megaresveratrol, (was 50% until recently)

Benefits: Possible arrest of retina disease (Idiopathic Perivoveal Telangiectasia) --
vascular image unchanged in 20 months. I'll post on this topic in another thread.

No colds or respiratory illness in 2.5 years. 3 severe colds per year was my typical pattern.

Problems:

Constipation due to emodin. Although emodin may cause loose stools initially, over time
in high doses it leads to reduced colon function. Search on laxative abuse for details.
This problem resolved after I switched to a high purity product.

Melanosis coli diagnosed on colonoscopy (from emodin consumption). Thought to be
a harmless condition, except for associated constipation, see above.

Muscle soreness. This may be a benefit. I have a much stronger response
to moderate exercise, with more muscle mass from the same workout routine,
but I get surprisingly sore from even very modest amounts of weight lifting.

#416 Sholrak

• 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I really have not an idea why people keep on taking this when someone has related similar effects on joints with fluoroquinolones.

What's the sweet spot with this substance? We have plenty of nootropics and anitaging agents and herbs, probably far safest.

Edited by Sholrak, 10 June 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#417 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

Minority of users report the problems with joints, and most (but not all) of those have resolved with adequate D3 supplementation.

#418 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

I was experiencing joint pain in my knees before taking resveratrol which seemed to make the pain go away when I started taking it. I continued to experience pain and cramping in my calves, however, and adding D3 helped reduce that. My regular stack now includes D3, resveratrol, polydatin, and luteolin. I also take msm and glucosamine. Interestingly enough, I ran out of resveratrol last year for a while and figured I'd just up the polydatin in its place... and my knee joint pain came back. And went away again after I restocked resveratrol.

Btw, I think Beyond A Century is dropping all its own label products as its stocks deplete and bulk luteolin powder was one of the first to run out. They did indicate, however, that if they find a replacement on another label, they might restock that as a replacement. Right now they seem to be suggesting another label's quercetin as a replacement.

Howard

#419 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I believe quercetin won't do the job. Luteolin enhances Sirt-1, quercetin suppresses it, or at least one of its metabolites does; Sirt-1 is needed for PPAR-alpha, and gamma, to work. Much of the action of Lueteolin and resveratrol occurs through PPAR agonism. NF-kappa-beta suppresion is another pain suppression action these polyphenols bring about; but almost any polyphenol and many other plant extracts will suppress NF-kappa-beta.

Lutimax used to contain 100 mg of luteolin, but the current product label does not specify any amount, and only refers to a proprietary blend. I can probably get some bulk luteolin next time I'm in China. For now, I am using Bitter Melon extract, 10 or 20% charantin, and some resveratrol for Sirt-1 activation to enable PPAR activity. Bitter Melon seems to have an advantage over other PPAR agonists, in that it activates PPAR-delta as well as alpha and gamma.

Edited by maxwatt, 17 June 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#420 cudBwrong

• 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hi!

I see that gomesbs is still participating on this forum, so I thought I would post a link that may be of interest. I note that one of the mechanisms suspected in AS is tumor necrosis factor alpha. Some of the treatments for AS, such as etanercept, specifically target this cytokine. There are other TNF inhibitors used in AS therapy.

Here is a report that resveratrol suppresses cytokines, including TNF alpha, in human patients:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23557933

I'm not sure that this makes resveratrol the therapy of choice for AS, but at least this study seems to show that resveratrol moves cytokine production in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users