• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 23 votes

I have yet to see somebody who looks as young as they claim...

skin hollywood

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#181 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

That's the plan.

At 50, look like 35...

I would not bank on that. In their 20s everybody looks good, but the CR people over 35 or so that I have seen on TV and such looked terrible for their chronological age. I am not disputing the possibility that they may be more beautiful on the inside.

#182 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

That's the plan.

At 50, look like 35...

I would not bank on that. In their 20s everybody looks good, but the CR people over 35 or so that I have seen on TV and such looked terrible for their chronological age. I am not disputing the possibility that they may be more beautiful on the inside.

I agree fully. Something's not right.
My suggestion: CRON+200. That is, whatever CRON calculations determine for you plus 200 calories.

And, the assertion that health and youth/beauty are only loosely correlated, as the resentful among us suggest, defies every conclusion drawn by research in evolutionary biology and psychology, and also conflicts with our increasing understanding of mating rituals and mate selection.

In fact, the equation of youth/beauty=health is so deeply convolved into our psychic essence, that it is unconsciously perceived and no knowledge of evolution or nutrition is needed to 'get it'.
Prehistoric man was aware of it long before any theory or study. Beauty=health/fertility and youth=fertility/health.

So, though it may be agonizingly painful for some, a meticulous, quantified thread on how appearances have been improved by CRON forms an essential part of a fully rounded discussion.
And, attempts to trivialize or marginalize such a thread indicate resentment and envy, not intellect and depth.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#183 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Actually I think there are a few CRers that look good for over 35. However most people started way after the signs of aging already started, I think the average persons age when starting CR is 50 or about there. There was a survey done a while back and will look for it again. As this is the [skin health] section of the forum then in terms of appearance they wouldn't be the best examples of how a CRer could look if they were doing it their whole life. There are quite a few young people here now who are doing CR from 18 + And will likely show the biggest benefits. I think we can do better than be 50 and look 35, I think someone starting young as I an others could at least look 25-30 at 50. I think that David has done well, but apparently from an article he didn't take much care of himself up until his 30's. Lots of late nights, junk food and whatever.

#184 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

David may have had cosmetic makeovers etc + choices of clothes, hair etc also being a contributing factor to looking young.

In broad strokes the key to stay as youthful as possible seem to be the following.

1. Calorie restriction with optimal nutrition, as much as you can manage, with maybe a BMI of 16 as a lower limit or so.
2.Keeping glucose levels low(also a part in the CR area)
3. Avoiding fried food,processed,transfat,things like that.
4.Avoiding the obvious things like smoking,alcohol,drugs,toxic substances,pollution etc...
5.Avoiding psychological stress which may create too much cortisole in the body which is harmful and aging.
6.Avoiding the sun as much as possible,using sunscreen strongly protecting against UVA and UVB .
7.Using tretinoin daily, and topical antioxidants like vitamin C etc...
8.Getting enough sleep.
9. Exercising lightly/moderately.
10.Behave like you are young,exercise your brain. Wear clothes associated with youth.

This sums up the current advice as for how to stay young, doesn't it? :|w

Time to adopt such a lifestyle then....

#185 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but (1) it is no accomplishment to look like a kid at 25, (2) why would anyone want to look like a not fully grown teenager at 25? (3) given that there are no real outward signs of aging in many people until, say, 35

I totally disagree with this. I have seen many people in their late 20s and early 30s who showed many outward signs of aging, including sun-damage, sunken eyes, crows feet, leathery skin etc. It is absurd to say a 35 year old, on average, looks as young as a 20 year old, again, on average. It means something when you are 35 and a person tells you you look 19. I am not sure if the same applies to a 24 year old who looks 17, as there may be less of a distinction. If you like though, google some pictures of average 35 year olds and average 20 year olds and post them so we can see these 'no real signs of outward aging' you seem to be referring to.

Edited by TheFountain, 16 March 2009 - 10:39 PM.

#186 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

Well theres something that is making people think i'm 16-17, and if it's not 'aging' then what exactly is it? We have a few 16 year olds at work, most people are in their early 20's, and a few between 35-65 years of age. Since I look younger than almost 100% of them (we have over 25 people in my department), why is this? I mean even people with the most perfect looking skin can still have a mature look about them. So isn't it just facial features too?

And 35 year olds in general to not look anywhere near 20 lol, at least not the majority of them.

Edited by Matt, 16 March 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#187 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

I think it is a bit difficult to see how old someone looks...

#188 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

It means something when you are 35 and a person tells you you look 19

I am not sure if the same applies to a 24 year old who looks 17, as there may be less of a distinction

Most of the time from what I've seen, and from what I've heard other say is that; If you're looking much younger than your years in your teens, and in your 20's, you'll likely maintain this more youthful appearance compared to your peers at later ages (if you're not doing anything destructive) as you grow older. You can improve the 'gap' by various methods we discuss on this board, or you can close the gap by doing bad things. Having a big age difference at a younger age is a major advantage than having no apparent age difference. To get anywhere near the goal of trying to look around 25 at 50 you would really need to have started from a good point, not when you're 30 and skin aging really had started years before.

From my own experience at least, I've looked younger at all ages than my peers :|w So this illustrates my first point.

And I also agree a lot with what Zoolander and Victor have pointed out. Having good health markers is far more important than how old you look. But I don't personally see anything wrong with wanting tolook young too :)

Edited by Matt, 16 March 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#189 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

This picture was taken today, How old do I look? :|w

I really think it is very difficult to judge young people's age,

Edited by VictorBjoerk, 15 October 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#190 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but (1) it is no accomplishment to look like a kid at 25, (2) why would anyone want to look like a not fully grown teenager at 25? (3) given that there are no real outward signs of aging in many people until, say, 35

It is absurd to say a 35 year old, on average, looks as young as a 20 year old, again, on average.

I agree, which is why I didn't say that, as you can see if you actually read what I did say. :|w

#191 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

There was a site that I poinnted out before christmas, or just after.. hmm. Basically it shows you random pictures and then you guess the age of the person. I was out only by 3 years after trying to guess probably over 100 different peoples ages.

Victor, I think about 18 years old. I'm basing this on the 18 year olds that I know personally. And I don't know your age by the way lol.

#192 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

This picture was taken today, How old do I look? :|w

I agree. You look like you are are probably under 30 but almost definitely over 16. I think anybody who claims to be able to pin it down more accurately than that from your picture is misguided, maybe because they haven't known a broad enough spectrum of people in their lives yet.

Edited by andre, 16 March 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#193 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

VB, 24?

#194 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

And I also agree a lot with what Zoolander and Victor have pointed out. Having good health markers is far more important than how old you look. But I don't personally see anything wrong with wanting to look young too :-D

For me, trying to keep myself looking young is also part of my contribution to the movement. I think it's easier to convince the average man in the street if you can actually show them some physical, like your appearance, when talking to them about anti-aging.

#195 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Well theres something that is making people think i'm 16-17, and if it's not 'aging' then what exactly is it? We have a few 16 year olds at work, most people are in their early 20's, and a few between 35-65 years of age. Since I look younger than almost 100% of them (we have over 25 people in my department), why is this? I mean even people with the most perfect looking skin can still have a mature look about them. So isn't it just facial features too?

And 35 year olds in general to not look anywhere near 20 lol, at least not the majority of them.

Matt, I can tell you what is making people think you are 16-17. Genetics and the fact that you are 5'7" and around 106 lbs.

#196 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

It is absurd to say a 35 year old, on average, looks as young as a 20 year old, again, on average.

I agree, which is why I didn't say that, as you can see if you actually read what I did say. :-D

You implied that photo-aging, or the outward signs thereof, don't really begin till mid 30s and I am telling you that is plain wrong. Take a broad spectrum look at most americans in their late 20s/early 30s and compare them to people in late teens and early 20s. There are vast differences in many cases.

#197 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

This picture was taken today, How old do I look? :-D

I agree. You look like you are are probably under 30 but almost definitely over 16. I think anybody who claims to be able to pin it down more accurately than that from your picture is misguided, maybe because they haven't known a broad enough spectrum of people in their lives yet.

He looks early 20s. Whether or not he is is something altogether different. There is no lack of total distinction between late teens and early 30s. You can in most cases tell the difference, unless the individual has been on some kind of regimen since a young age.

Edited by TheFountain, 17 March 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#198 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Well my mother looks about 17y younger (people often gives her age at that range). Though you could take a 1000 women and there hardly would be another one lookin' like that. A few factors contribute: genes (her mother/my grandmother looks young for her age...no major wrinkles, etc..), fast metabolism, so no extra weight, 2: extensive regimen from early 20's of various things/methods, exercising, eating extra healthy... At 40 she actually looked younger then at 20, literally. 

Edited by Divine, 19 March 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#199 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

This picture was taken today, How old do I look? :)

I really think it is very difficult to judge young people's age,[/quote]

18-20...

Edited by VictorBjoerk, 15 October 2009 - 09:13 PM.

#200 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Two photos of me age 40:

Attached Files

Edited by TianZi, 27 March 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#201 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

I agree, which is why I didn't say that, as you can see if you actually read what I did say. :)

You implied that photo-aging, or the outward signs thereof, don't really begin till mid 30s and I am telling you that is plain wrong. Take a broad spectrum look at most americans in their late 20s/early 30s and compare them to people in late teens and early 20s. There are vast differences in many cases.

Again, you are imputing a statement to me that I did not make. Reread it. "Many" does not mean the same as "on average" or "broad spectum" in my dictionary.

I based my statement on personal observation. Maybe you are just hanging out with a crowd that looks older for their age compared to mine. For example, many straight guys look older because of comparative personal neglect.

Edited by andre, 27 March 2009 - 12:44 PM.

#202 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

18-20...

I agree, 18-20 seems reasonable.

Guessing people's age can be a lot of fun. One of my friends works at a local gym and we always try and guess peoples' age as they come in - after which we check it using the computer system that scans their ID card. (Please no comments on the obvious breach of privacy)

I think physical build has a lot to do with how we perceive age. In the case of Victor he is obviously slender and has a young face, so one would be safe in assuming he is probably a teenager or slightly older. Now if he had a very athletic / well muscled frame, people might assume he is several years older because it usually takes a few years to accumulate a significant increase in muscle tissue. Likewise, if he were grossly overweight, he would probably look much older.

Other contributing factors include clothing and hairstyle. Add some facial hair, give him a more "professional" haircut, and maybe some business casual clothing and I bet he looks a couple years older at least.

So, Matt, I bet people think you look young because you are small (height / weight), have a boyish face, and dress like a youth.

Edited by Skotkonung, 27 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#203 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

I agree, which is why I didn't say that, as you can see if you actually read what I did say. :)

Again, you are imputing a statement to me that I did not make. Reread it. "Many" does not mean the same as "on average" or "broad spectum" in my dictionary.

I based my statement on personal observation. Maybe you are just hanging out with a crowd that looks older for their age compared to mine. For example, many straight guys look older because of comparative personal neglect.

This is exactly what you typed:

'there are no real outward signs of aging in many people until, say, 35'

And to that I simply said absurd. I have seen too many in their early 30s who look horrible, sun damaged, gaunt, etc. Where you arrived at the conclusion that there are no real outward signs in people till 35 is kind of a mystery to me.

#204 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

This is exactly what you typed:

'there are no real outward signs of aging in many people until, say, 35'

And to that I simply said absurd. I have seen too many in their early 30s who look horrible, sun damaged, gaunt, etc. Where you arrived at the conclusion that there are no real outward signs in people till 35 is kind of a mystery to me.

Sorry, but this is becoming ridiculous. Do you have a reading comprehension disability?

#205 kai73

• 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

18-20...
[/quote]

I would say 24-26.

Edited by VictorBjoerk, 15 October 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#206 kai73

• 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

I think we can do better than be 50 and look 35, I think someone starting young as I an others could at least look 25-30 at 50.

are you kidding right? otherwise you will surely get depressed when you will be 50yo...

Btw, all models practice CR for most of their 20-30 years...but when they get 35-40yo they do look their age anyway.

#207 HOTCells

• 59 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

18-20...
[/quote]

I would say 24-26.
[/quote]

I would say you look 24-27.. Hard to tell w just a pic. Skin texture and the way a face moves with expression seems to be a dead giveaway of a person's age, even more so than wrinkles. It seems huge changes take place in the 30s with regards to appearance, so I try not to get to optimistic about looking 8-10 years younger than my 30 years. Bill gates, for example looked like a 18 years old until he was like 38 and then.... BAM older looking man. If I still look 20 at age 40 then I will celebrate.

Edited by VictorBjoerk, 15 October 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#208 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

I think we can do better than be 50 and look 35, I think someone starting young as I an others could at least look 25-30 at 50.

are you kidding right? otherwise you will surely get depressed when you will be 50yo...

Btw, all models practice CR for most of their 20-30 years...but when they get 35-40yo they do look their age anyway.

Well has it ever been attempted before really? We belong to a generation that is becoming more conscious of self-care at a much younger age. Previous generations weren't made aware of certain break throughs till well into their middle-ages. So why don't we just see what happens instead of making blank assertions?

#209 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

1. Asians, blacks, and Mediterraneans tend to look younger / age slower than Anglos / paler Caucasians.

2. A rounder face, full head of hair, facial hair may also affect the perception of someone's age.

3. Short height, narrow bodied stature may also give such young look illusion.

4. Skin thickness / hyperkeratinization

Edited by sentrysnipe, 03 April 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#210 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

I've seen this physicist Brian Cox in so many programs on TV, i'm sure he's familiar with most you as well. I've always thought he was in his late 20's to 30 when I seen him on TV over the years. Just found out his age after watching a program on Time (check out thoughtware.tv) So he's 41 and looks quite a lot younger than his age.

http://en.wikipedia....Cox_(physicist)

Edited by Matt, 06 May 2009 - 02:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, hollywood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)