• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 23 votes

I have yet to see somebody who looks as young as they claim...

skin hollywood

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2371 mustardseed41

• 928 posts
  • 38 â‚®

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

Yummy Mummy!!! :wub:

http://www.dailymail...photo-book.html

#2372 Maecenas

• 181 posts
  • 46 â‚®

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:06 PM

Lauren Mayberry. 28 years old, looks like a 7 year old child. https://upload.wikim..._(2013)_-_2.jpg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#2373 vader

• 243 posts
  • -1 â‚®

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Lauren Mayberry. 28 years old, looks like a 7 year old child. https://upload.wikim..._(2013)_-_2.jpg

She has a compact face, no nasolabial folds. Facial aging is 99% underlying bone structure. Guys like Paul Newman aged good with bad habits, because they've had good bone structure.

• Needs references x 1

#2374 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:49 AM

Some of these I agree with although NOT the Nicole Kidman one.   She has done something to her face (I believe Sculptra plus fillers plus lasers -- I'd bet good money on it)  plus the botox,  and with not great results at all.   She looks well preserved like a corpse,  the skin is dead and waxy.   I wonder how she could look more alive?  I don't like that waxen look.  Perhaps she needs some blood in her cheeks.  She does not look what I think of as youthful or vibrant and sexy.  I am wanting to do laser for tightening,  I have good skin that heals fast,  but I don't want to look so....waxy.   I truly wish there was a way to know what the youthful looking actors with surgery have done vs the ones who got bad results.   Like Demi Moore,  who seems horribly unhealthy and unhappy but lucked into some great doctors.    Someone mentioned good bone structure as aging well,  but I tend to think of that as just "good-looking"  from day one,  with Paul Newman,  because to me if you are good looking you're good looking always (I know,  crazy.) 

Btw regarding flat belly I am 40 with what people tell me as an 18 year old's body  and it really is mostly genetics (dad's side) plus insanely good eating habits for many years.   I don't exercise or sleep well -- if you want a flat belly it is all about eating and genetics,  I am convinced.   NOT that I am advocating poor sleep at all,  I'm just saying it is more about genetics plus eating for stomach.    People are always saying to me that they need to work out or do sit ups (guys do this mostly to me,  like we women care!   Why do they think we care about men's abs???  A man's stomach is meant for being our pillow!)  and I yell at them about what they eat -- sorry I will not be convinced that sit ups or exercise give you a flatter stomach,   because it's all about the fat surrounding the abs.  But so many things add up to more youthful appearance,  from how someone walks and sounds to firmness,  than simple NL folds.   I suggest anyone wanting to look younger learn how to ACT younger -- it works wonders.   People who look glum in pictures now more than ever look depressing and older to me no matter how much they don't want to.   I work with kids and it is so much about having F.U.N.  and always being a "kid"  even if people think you're crazy.   The day I become normal acting and adult is the day I die a little inside. 

Btw re the dating younger,  I didn't want to date younger but always seem to,   and my boyfriends all don't get carded and I do.   It's weird.  I think I am sucking the life out of them!   

Also,  I remember reading that smell changes as we age.  It is a LOT about smell,  and that's something pictures will never communicate.   I am telling you that sometimes I smell the sickness on someone I am talking to,  and it changes everything.  Like a smoker,  or someone who just smells ill.   It is more important to the brain than eyes sometimes,  or at least almost equally important.

#2375 Ark

• 1,729 posts
  • 383 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:21 AM

I'm 29 in two weeks and people say I look 21.

#2376 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:56 AM

I am too!   No in all seriousness,   that isn't how it works.   Everyone who is 29 looks 21,  unless they look way older or aged quickly for some reason.  The body heals itself and is highly regenerative until later,   like 40 ish.  If you look older than your 20s in your 20s you are doing something wrong.  If you want to talk about looking youthful,  you have to look at people over 35,  since apparently that is when things start catching up with people.     It does not count to say you look 21 when still in your 20s officially   Although occasionally I see 30 year olds with greying hair,  but really,   looking "young for your age"  status can only be done after 30.   

• Good Point x 3
  • Disagree x 3
  • Agree x 1

#2377 Maecenas

• 181 posts
  • 46 â‚®

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:52 PM

I am too!   No in all seriousness,   that isn't how it works.   Everyone who is 29 looks 21,  unless they look way older or aged quickly for some reason.  The body heals itself and is highly regenerative until later,   like 40 ish.  If you look older than your 20s in your 20s you are doing something wrong.  If you want to talk about looking youthful,  you have to look at people over 35,  since apparently that is when things start catching up with people.     It does not count to say you look 21 when still in your 20s officially   Although occasionally I see 30 year olds with greying hair,  but really,   looking "young for your age"  status can only be done after 30.   

I know many people in their early twenties, all of whom are perfectly healthy and they look 35-40 years old. How old you look is not about your health or actual intrinsic aging most of the time. 

#2378 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

Hmm well then that could be interesting in a reverse way,  to figure out what makes them look older.   Usually I assume it's from smoking or too much sun plus genetics plus lack of sleep or bad eating habits,  or some combination thereof.   I know doctors and nurses are supposed to also use simple vision to ID health when you first walk in,  for example (in addition to what you tell them and possible tests.)   If people in their early twenties look older I always assume they are doing something awful to themselves,  in terms of eating habits,  maybe drugs,  etc.   I cannot be sure but it seems where I live,  people are aging more quickly than they used to.   Kids in their twenties are going gray!  And all of them are more overweight than they used to be,  from younger ages.   There used to be one fat kid per class;  now there are at least several.   At LEAST.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2379 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • 267 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

One day I'll cut my hair, I'm sure it'll knock years off me

Actually, I think it will do the exact opposite. It keeps you looking like a teen in a rock band  :-D

#2380 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

or at the very least,  someone who WANTS to look like he was in a rock band at one time....a rock star without a guitar.

• Cheerful x 1

#2381 sharpie456

• 9 posts
  • 2 â‚®

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:28 AM

I agree with this.  Looking younger than your age when you’re in your 20s is NOT an indication of aging well.  People under 30 look young because they are supposed to.  A 25-year-old looking like a teenager is no accomplishment because at that age, their youthful looks are mostly attributed to their physical features. 

Looking younger than one's age is only impressive when the person is middle-aged or older.  Just because someone looks 10 years younger in their 30s does NOT always mean they will continue to look 10 years younger into middle-age.  Many people look young until their 40s, then they age overnight.  Big changes in appearance come into effect in the 40s and 50s. 

Edited by sharpie456, 24 November 2015 - 02:34 AM.

• Agree x 5

#2382 marcobjj

• 310 posts
  • 26 â‚®

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:47 AM

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau turns 44 this Christmas:

o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-facebook.jpg

a-portrait-papineau-justin-trudeau-web.j

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2383 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts
  • 257 â‚®

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

Slimer from Ghostbusters doesn't look a day older than he did in 1984. 

slimer.jpg

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • dislike x 1

#2384 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts
  • 257 â‚®

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau turns 44 this Christmas:

o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-facebook.jpg

a-portrait-papineau-justin-trudeau-web.j

Amazing how he doesn't look a day over 44. 

• Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2385 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts
  • 2,000 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

I would have guessed upper 30s to low 40s for Trudeau

Edited by Mind, 05 December 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#2386 Maecenas

• 181 posts
  • 46 â‚®

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

Trudeau looks 32-34 to me.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2387 marcobjj

• 310 posts
  • 26 â‚®

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:17 PM

I agree you look great and you are white -- yey for you!   I love to see someone aging well and naturally to boot.   Surprised you have taken so long to find how wonderful vit C is but may I suggest that you continue to use it.   Not sure how much what you are getting costs but I merely buy Ascorbic acid in bulk with a very tightly sealed protective bag and make my own serums,  lotions,  even a wonderful skin scrub for my whole body.   It is much less expensive and of course more fresh if you make it yourself.   No need to spend a small fortune on serums when the ingredients and instructions are all over the web.   Even people who work in laser offices (I asked to make sure)  have told me that Skinceuticals overcharges for their c and e serum,  the main thing is it being fresh and getting into the skin  (often entails having drying alcohol,  zinc,  and tyrosine as well with the serums --  there is info about this online as well.)  I am awful at recipes and even I can do it,  so unless you enjoy spending more please consider it!

One thing re the silly belief many seem to have regarding aging,  and some having the "secrets"  or something like that -- we are ALL human,  and there are no superhuman secrets,   merely genetics,  and lifestyle. I used to live in Strasbourg,  years ago....honestly I could have cared less about aging back then at 20 years old (I always wanted to look OLDER!)  but I don't recall people looking way younger or anything.   If anything people were willing to NOT dye hair and let it go white,  people are the same everywhere and there are no "secrets" the French have.   This is just my opinion,  of course,  but it seems people have a need to think that other cultures know things that they do not,  and I hear people saying,  oh the French age better,  or dress better....in my experience they have fewer clothes that are better quality  (my French friends often wore the same clothes more than one day in a row,  which surprised me and I imitate that to this day)  but I have NEVER understood why people think French dress better or look younger.   It is all individual to me,  some do,  some don't.    Of course as someone who designs her own clothes perhaps what I see is different from those who buy clothes off the rack.  

Actually I do recall one great thing the Strasbourg and Parisians and French in general do,  which is the best of all as you can incorporate it into your own life unless you live in LA.    I was without a car for YEARS here in America and had to bike everywhere.  The muscles in my legs were phenomenal  (time to start up again.)     Americans drive everywhere and if only cars and computers everywhere broke down,  I think the obesity epidemic could be cured  (if people were forced to bike to work and go outside for entertainment.)  I knew very few people who had cars or used them as much when I was there (perhaps also due to our younger age) and the food, while not that much healthier since sauces and other heavy stuff was used,  was fresher.   I read however that Europe is catching up in regards to obesity epidemic which is sad.   I didnt go for the heavy Alsatian sauces but one weird thing I used to love there was glass-jarred brussel sprouts when I was travelling -- I would open up the can and eat it straight from the can,  and I LOVED those things.   Would never ever do that here in America.   Not sure if that has changed too though because of Monsanto.   So these would be those "secrets"  that only the French have.   Also I found them to be way more honest and less back-stabbing than American types.   Which means less stress from holding stuff in.   Again we are all human.  Ah....you made me miss both the brussel sprouts (hey I was young and poor!)  and Strasbourg and the South of France,  time to go back.  Now the women in the south of France were all so good looking like models,  but I think that is solely because it was such a wealthy area I lived in.   It's the same in all wealthier areas,  including here in America.

Almost all of the French people I have met while travelling in Australia looked AT LEAST 8 years younger than their actual age. One girl was 29 and she looked 12 - no joke. She was half Vietnamese, however. Another girl, who was pure French and 30 years old, looked like she was around 20. And then going to France - goodness! I look about 3 years younger than my age, max. My mom is of French descent and has always looked 10 years younger than her actual age. Not sure what I did wrong. Hah! Maybe being a redhead?  I've been using sunscreen religiously since I was 16 though. Perhaps it was being conned into getting a thermage treatment at 24, which melted all my baby fat. That probably did it. I'm going to try buying the vitamin C in bulk like you recommended. Think it could take another few years off me?

And Boopy! - Where, can I ask, do you buy your ascorbic acid in bulk? And how much do you use to make your serum? Thanks!

TAM818 was first released in New Zealand, have you checked it yet? The most potent synthetic telomerase activator know to man. Developed by Dr Bill Andrews at Sierra Sciences.

http://www.amazon.co...s=one truth 818

#2388 bis

• 28 posts
  • 4 â‚®

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

Interesting experience with a friend of mine from singapour in paris.

27 years and 44 years (in 7months)   (17 years between me and him) 

http://www.noelshack...462520882-n.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by bis, 20 December 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#2389 blueenigma

• 47 posts
  • 3 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:14 AM

There are many contributing (and confounding) factors to how skin ages, but I think the primary and most influential factor in the progression and contours of physical aging is melanin, with skin density and genetics being runners up. Almost invariably, brown and yellow people age significantly better than people whose skin produce very little melanin. Even when you control for factors such as lifestyle, socioeconomic status, diet, etc., this generally holds true. Black people have the darkest form of melanin (eumelanin) and Asians have a lighter, but still substantial, melanin (phaeomelanin). Paler skins produce very little melanin, so photoaging is much more pronounced in White groups. Skin density is related to the levels of skin collagen. People of color have high  levels of collagen, which keeps wrinkles at bay and supports a youthful look. Whites have the lowest levels of collagen, and as we age, that level declines even more. This is why you can see a fairly light-skinned East Asian who still looks much younger than their age; Asians have high levels of collagen. Every Asian that I have personally known appeared at LEAST a decade younger than their numerical age. I'm Black and when I compare myself to my European counterparts that fall within my age group, the difference is particularly striking! I am closer to 50 than I am to 40, yet I look MUCH younger than most Europeans in my age group that I have met. Indeed, it's a bit embarrassing when I'm in a group with White women in my age bracket, and the topic of age comes up. My sense is that once we each state our age it makes the others, who look significantly older, feel a bit embarrassed. Vegan lifestyle, gym-rat, runner, yoga practitioner, sunscreen worshipper, none of this seems to matter: they still look much much older. As anecdotal as this might all seem, I'm convinced enough from my life observations that melanin is the major player in the scheme. Cheers!

Edited by blueenigma, 28 December 2015 - 04:32 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2390 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts
  • 257 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

There are many contributing (and confounding) factors to how skin ages, but I think the primary and most influential factor in the progression and contours of physical aging is melanin, with skin density and genetics being runners up. Almost invariably, brown and yellow people age significantly better than people whose skin produce very little melanin. Even when you control for factors such as lifestyle, socioeconomic status, diet, etc., this generally holds true. Black people have the darkest form of melanin (eumelanin) and Asians have a lighter, but still substantial, melanin (phaeomelanin). Paler skins produce very little melanin, so photoaging is much more pronounced in White groups. Skin density is related to the levels of skin collagen. People of color have high  levels of collagen, which keeps wrinkles at bay and supports a youthful look. Whites have the lowest levels of collagen, and as we age, that level declines even more. This is why you can see a fairly light-skinned East Asian who still looks much younger than their age; Asians have high levels of collagen. Every Asian that I have personally known appeared at LEAST a decade younger than their numerical age. I'm Black and when I compare myself to my European counterparts that fall within my age group, the difference is particularly striking! I am closer to 50 than I am to 40, yet I look MUCH younger than most Europeans in my age group that I have met. Indeed, it's a bit embarrassing when I'm in a group with White women in my age bracket, and the topic of age comes up. My sense is that once we each state our age it makes the others, who look significantly older, feel a bit embarrassed. Vegan lifestyle, gym-rat, runner, yoga practitioner, sunscreen worshipper, none of this seems to matter: they still look much much older. As anecdotal as this might all seem, I'm convinced enough from my life observations that melanin is the major player in the scheme. Cheers!

I find this racist and presumptuous at best.

I have met an enormous number of blacks and asians who do not age gracefully at all. 

However, all things being equal and lifestyle factoring into it, most Asian females age pretty well. But in many cases you cans till tell their age due to the subtle variations in bone density and shifts below the surface of the skin.

I am a white male of irish and european descent and I am 31 years old, people often mistake me for 10 years younger but I have also worn a sunscreen since 2008 and eaten a very clean low glycemic diet since then. My last A1c score was last year and it was 4.2 whereas most of my uncles had pre-diabetes by the time they were in their late 20s. 

It is true that carotenoids like Astaxanthin may help prevent sun damage but the single most important skin care solution for people of european descent is to wear a quality sunblock every day. Even in the winter.

But that's just the topical side. Internally a proper clean diet holds sunscreen in a tie. Both of these are indispensable.  

• Unfriendly x 1

#2391 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • 149 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:16 AM

From what I've seen in the UK, Asian people in general do look younger than their age, and so do black people when compared to white people of similar age groups. Although this by itself does not always mean that a person with these skin types will always look younger than a white person who has taken care of his or her skin and ate a healthy diet. Diet does play a role in skin ageing, so does the amount of food we eat.

I'm pretty white... and get mistaken for being as young as 19 years old, but I am over 31 years old. I've been eating very healthily and done CR since I was 18. Vegetarian diet since 2007, and then went 'mostly vegan' a in 2012. I've also taken care of my skin since I was about 15 years old.   :)  I even get mistaken for sounding like a teenager on the phone lol.  But a few people actually said to me recently how often they forget that I am much older than they are... and these people were between 18-22. They think of me as their age.

My sister doesn't live like I do, but she also looks quite decent for a white girl :p  People think I am younger than her, and I'm 2 years older. But she is still doing quite well! So I guess genes play a role too. We look similar so she is like my control lol

So even if you're white, you're not doomed to age badly xD  

Vegan lifestyle, gym-rat, runner, yoga practitioner, sunscreen worshipper, none of this seems to matter: they still look much much older

I'm white, but I know I definitely don't look much older than 30 year old Asian people or black people. I'm sure I won't in the future either when I reach 40 and 50. =) I think there can be exceptions.... and everything matters... Sunscreen, melanin, diet, exercise, and genes.  

Edited by Matt, 28 December 2015 - 05:26 AM.

• like x 3

#2392 blueenigma

• 47 posts
  • 3 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

I have met an enormous number of blacks and asians who do not age gracefully at all. 

However, all things being equal and lifestyle factoring into it, most Asian females age pretty well. But in many cases you cans till tell their age due to the subtle variations in bone density and shifts below the surface of the skin.

I am a white male of irish and european descent and I am 31 years old, people often mistake me for 10 years younger but I have also worn a sunscreen since 2008 and eaten a very clean low glycemic diet since then. My last A1c score was last year and it was 4.2 whereas most of my uncles had pre-diabetes by the time they were in their late 20s. 

It is true that carotenoids like Astaxanthin may help prevent sun damage but the single most important skin care solution for people of european descent is to wear a quality sunblock every day. Even in the winter.

But that's just the topical side. Internally a proper clean diet holds sunscreen in a tie. Both of these are indispensable.  

Racist? You are aware that there are actual scientific studies that lend credence to what I am saying, no? I invite you to check out the work of Keys Kaidbey, who conducted a study way back in the mid-70s which addresses this very phenomenon. What I am saying is in no way a novel proposition so it's a bit surprising that your first impulse is to call it racist. It's a matter of genetic architect. Certainly what I am saying cannot be news to you. Do some digging and you will find that there are certain genetic factors that favor people of color. To point, a larger percentage of ultraviolet-A rays penetrate White people's skin due to the lower amount of melanin in white skin. Something on the order of 60 percent of untraviolent-A rays. Contrastingly, black and brown skin is protected by melanin, and only ~18 percent of ultraviolet rays get through. The end result is greater photo damage to white skin. That is a fact. Along similar lines, white skin has the lowest amount of collagen than all other groups of people. That is a fact. Collagen is critical in the aging process. Indeed, it is the gradual loss of collagen as we age that leads to wrinkles and sunken skin. Collagen and elastin are what keep the skin plump and youthful. Black and brown skin both have higher levels of collagen. That is a fact. Consequently, black and brown skin does not wrinkle easily and it is not uncommon to see a 70-year-old person of color with no wrinkles at all. In essence, white skin has two natural setbacks that black and brown skin simple do not: very little melanin and low collagen levels. These two factors conspire to make the elements of sun and time more ravishing to white skin than to black or brown skin. This is not to say that ALL people of color look younger than their numerical age or that ALL white people look older than theirs. Rather, it's a general observation that tends to be true more often than not. Certainly there are outliers in either direction, but as a general observation, people of color age exceptionally well due to the factors listed above. I did not create these realities. They existed before I was born, they existed before you were born, they will exist after I die, and they will exist after you are long gone. 

To avoid inciting you further, I won't continue with this line of conversation and I'll simply enjoy the community information that is shared. Cheers!

Edited by blueenigma, 28 December 2015 - 05:52 AM.

• Agree x 4
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2393 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts
  • 257 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

Nobody said melanin is not important in some respects but stating that only brown and asian people age gracefully is a disgrace of racial ignorance and of not know many white people who engage in longevity lifestyles. 

Also have you seen the complexion of a lot of chinese japanese and korean people? They are arguably more ghost like than whites in complexion, because their culture supports that beauty standard, particularly in females, whereas, lo and behold, western caucasians LOVE tanning. And we all know from studies than sun exposure damages the skin cells and increases photo aging. 

So you think there may indeed be some correlation? 

I think so too. 

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2394 Maecenas

• 181 posts
  • 46 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

Younger skin doesn't always guarantee that you'll look much younger. Some people have an unfair disadvantage of looking older due to a particular bone structure. They can be perfectly healthy, blessed with a skin of a newborn child with no single wrinkle, but still look 40 in their twenties. Also some people (particularly highly atractive ones) have a bone structure that  allows them to pull off a look of someone a generation younger, even if their facial skin has a texture of a baseball mitt and is furrowed with deep wrinkles. But as a rule facial skin is the most important factor in looking young. In my opinion, the factors that have the greatest influence over the perception of your facial age are: 1. Photodamage (the amount of accumulated UV damage, which grows in a pretty linear way throughout your life) 2. Subcutaneous fat (underlayer of fat under your skin; look at the people who suffer from lipodystrophy to see how the absence of facial fat can put decades on your face) 3. Genetic factors (such as skin thickness, the amount of collagen, the amount of moisture kept by the skin and the aforementioned subcutaneous fat which is distributed according to your genetic makeup) 4. Your diet. habits and environment (healthy diet, exercise, smoking/drinking/drugs, environmental pollution. using facial moisturizer and even sleeping positions).

Maybe I forgot to write something important - so you are welcome to add anything you think plays a role in how our skin ages. 

P.S. I'm as white as white can get without being an albino, I live at the Northern latitude (50 N)  and I have quite a lot of wrinkles for a 26 year old and I am often mistaken for someone 2-3 years older. I think it can be explained by my sunny childhood, which I've literally spent outdoors 24/7. Despite the fact that I have been meticuolously avoiding the sun for the last 5 years the new signs of photodamage still continue to appear and I don't know when they are going to slow down.

Edited by Maecenas, 28 December 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#2395 Heyman

• 207 posts
  • 13 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Almost invariably, brown and yellow people age significantly better than people whose skin produce very little melanin. Even when you control for factors such as lifestyle, socioeconomic status, diet, etc., this generally holds true. Black people have the darkest form of melanin (eumelanin) and Asians have a lighter, but still substantial, melanin (phaeomelanin). Paler skins produce very little melanin, so photoaging is much more pronounced in White groups (...) sunscreen worshipper, none of this seems to matter

I think these statements are not compatible. You can argue that melanin has an effect on skin aging. This is a fact and not racist like some people imply. However, if this effect is due to reduced photoaging, sunscreen will prevent skin aging in caucasians as well, as sunscreen is more effective than melanin. There is a study in humans in vivo that shows this: http://annals.org/ar...ticleid=1691733 - now of course using sunscreen won't make you look young again if you start using it at 45, even if you do it religiously. Most people also don't apply enough, don't apply every day, don't have UVA protection especially in the US and so on...

Collagen is critical in the aging process. Indeed, it is the gradual loss of collagen as we age that leads to wrinkles and sunken skin. Collagen and elastin are what keep the skin plump and youthful. Black and brown skin both have higher levels of collagen.

Not saying you are wrong at all, but do you know the source? It would be interesting to know whether black people have more collagen even at a young age or whether they just preserve more due to less photoaging. It is not like 15-year old black people look much younger compared to 15-year old caucasians. In my opinion the most important reasons for an aging appearance are not only wrinkles but also subcutaneous fat loss. Both interestingly is caused by sun exposure.

Racist? You are aware that there are actual scientific studies that lend credence to what I am saying, no?

I do not think you are racist at all. There is an interesting study which showed no progression of expression lines in black people at all after about 8 years. I mean 0, which is quite impressive. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20184587

Despite the fact that I have been meticuolously avoiding the sun for the last 5 years the new signs of photodamage still continue to appear and I don't know when they are going to slow down.

Do you use the right amount of sunscreen every day? I'm just asking because I do not think what is happening to you is normal. There has been some research showing even office-workers are getting 10-20 hours of incidental sun exposure every week, so I believe some people underestimate the amount of exposure they are getting.

• Agree x 1

#2396 Maecenas

• 181 posts
  • 46 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

Do you use the right amount of sunscreen every day? I'm just asking because I do not think what is happening to you is normal. There has been some research showing even office-workers are getting 10-20 hours of incidental sun exposure every week, so I believe some people underestimate the amount of exposure they are getting.

Yes, I use sunscreen whenever I go outside and I switch between different brands, as I'm not sure in their UVA protective properties.Though I feel doubtful whether it's necessary to wear sunscreen in winter if you live at the latitudes higher than 45 N. The levels of UVA are lower than 20W/m2 on most of the days, which correspond to 0-2 level of UVB.

I've read somewhere that the signs of photodamage can appear years after the initial exposure. The good news is that a moderate skin self-repair is possible as well, but it also takes years. Sadly, it seems I just belong to the category of the less lucky people prone to developing wrinkles.

#2397 marcobjj

• 310 posts
  • 26 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:21 PM

Also have you seen the complexion of a lot of chinese japanese and korean people? They are arguably more ghost like than whites in complexion, because their culture supports that beauty standard, particularly in females, whereas, lo and behold, western caucasians LOVE tanning. 

East Asians do have more pigment in their skin than Nordic whites. And perhaps the same amount, or less than mediterranean whites do do age better among the white subgroups. that isn't to say that blondes/nordics can't age well if they take exceptionally good care of their skin.

• Needs references x 1

#2398 marcobjj

• 310 posts
  • 26 â‚®

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

Racist? You are aware that there are actual scientific studies that lend credence to what I am saying, no? I invite you to check out the work of Keys Kaidbey, who conducted a study way back in the mid-70s which addresses this very phenomenon. What I am saying is in no way a novel proposition so it's a bit surprising that your first impulse is to call it racist. It's a matter of genetic architect. Certainly what I am saying cannot be news to you. Do some digging and you will find that there are certain genetic factors that favor people of color. To point, a larger percentage of ultraviolet-A rays penetrate White people's skin due to the lower amount of melanin in white skin. Something on the order of 60 percent of untraviolent-A rays. Contrastingly, black and brown skin is protected by melanin, and only ~18 percent of ultraviolet rays get through. The end result is greater photo damage to white skin. That is a fact. Along similar lines, white skin has the lowest amount of collagen than all other groups of people. That is a fact. Collagen is critical in the aging process. Indeed, it is the gradual loss of collagen as we age that leads to wrinkles and sunken skin. Collagen and elastin are what keep the skin plump and youthful. Black and brown skin both have higher levels of collagen. That is a fact. Consequently, black and brown skin does not wrinkle easily and it is not uncommon to see a 70-year-old person of color with no wrinkles at all. In essence, white skin has two natural setbacks that black and brown skin simple do not: very little melanin and low collagen levels. These two factors conspire to make the elements of sun and time more ravishing to white skin than to black or brown skin. This is not to say that ALL people of color look younger than their numerical age or that ALL white people look older than theirs. Rather, it's a general observation that tends to be true more often than not. Certainly there are outliers in either direction, but as a general observation, people of color age exceptionally well due to the factors listed above. I did not create these realities. They existed before I was born, they existed before you were born, they will exist after I die, and they will exist after you are long gone. 

To avoid inciting you further, I won't continue with this line of conversation and I'll simply enjoy the community information that is shared. Cheers!

the most obvious example currently. 64 year old black man vs 69 year old white man:

bencarson.jpg

donald.jpg

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2399 blueenigma

• 47 posts
  • 3 â‚®

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

Also have you seen the complexion of a lot of chinese japanese and korean people? They are arguably more ghost like than whites in complexion, because their culture supports that beauty standard, particularly in females, whereas, lo and behold, western caucasians LOVE tanning.

East Asians do have more pigment in their skin than Nordic whites. And perhaps the same amount, or less than mediterranean whites do do age better among the white subgroups. that isn't to say that blondes/nordics can't age well if they take exceptionally good care of their skin.
TheFountain: I did specifically mention East Asians, which you will see if you re-read my post. I stated that *collagen* also plays a crucial role in the aging process, so even in the East and North Asian populations, where complexions can approach milk-white, the physical signs of aging are tempered because Asians have higher collagen levels relative to their European counterparts. Collagen and elastin are the scaffolding that keeps the skin plump, wrinkle free and youthful-looking. Higher collagen level translates to skin that is plump, elastic, and younger-looking for longer periods of time. Additionally, Asians (whether East, West, North or South) have higher levels of melanin than White Europeans, even in cases where phenotypically, they are similar in terms of complexion. To be sure, "genetics" play a role, but frankly, what are collagen and melanin if not products of genetics? I DO think nutrition, diet, exercise, lifestyle, and beauty regimen play important roles. I never said they do not. For that matter, air quality, the amount of stress hormones being dumped into our bloodstream, and radiation also play a role in how we age. But I think it's a pipe dream to think that diet, exercise, and beauty products can make a marked difference. My sense is that there is a base we each start from, and that base makes it comparably easier for some groups to keep/maintain their youthful looks than others. In other words, there are some whose genetic underpinnings will have them looking 60 at 45 no matter how much astaxanthin, vitamin C, and krill oil they consume. No matter how much sunscreen, retin-A, or egg membranes they slather on. No matter how much yoga, meditation or voodoo chants they do. There is a point of limitation. When I visited West Africa (Ghana) I saw 70+ year-old women with completely wrinkle-free skin, firm boobs and tight buttocks! When I visited Guang Zhou, I saw Chinese women and men in their 60s with poreless, beautiful, wrinkle-free skin. I have travelled to Amsterdam, Paris, Spain, Italy and, on this side, Canada. I have seen BEAUTIFUL men and women in each place. But I have never ever seen a 70-year old White European with wrinkle-free skin, despite knowing many health-conscious White Europens who have stellar diets, who take meticulous care of their skin, and who purchase the highest-end caviar products money can buy. So I'm a bit incredulous about the proposition that a healthy lifestyle, exercise, diet, and beauty products can work wonders. It DOES help, that I do not dispute, but I believe the genetic lottery plays a much much more significant role. As you travel through life, be an active observer. Look around. What do your eyes tell you?

Edited by blueenigma, 29 December 2015 - 01:07 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#2400 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts
  • 257 â‚®

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:44 AM

the most obvious example currently. 64 year old black man vs 69 year old white man:

bencarson.jpg

donald.jpg

They both look like they are in their 60s. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skin, hollywood

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)