- - - - -

Readjusting Slep levels

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 orangish

orangish
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Over the years, I've messed a lot with my sleep levels by staying up late or by taking a 3 hr nap and then getting up in order to finish my hw. The funny thing is that the way this havoc manifests is that I wake 3 hrs after I go to sleep and then generally wake around 5/5:30 if I go to bed anywhere from 10-12 o clock.

Are there any supplements or things I could do to help reverse my sleep issues?

#2 4eva

4eva
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

There are a number of supplements that can help sleep quality.

B12 can help regulate sleep/wake cycles and improve sleep quality.

B6 is another one because its needed for protein being broken down into amino acids. Amino acids are used for neurotransmitters. Serotonin converts into melatonin.

Even a iron deficiency can cause insomnia. I'm suggesting you take iron without getting some tests done.

Health problems like overactive thyroid, blood sugar problems, weak adrenals should be ruled out. Low cortisol levels can make it hard to fall asleep. Weak adrenals may also mean irregular circadium rhythm which causes waking up too early.

Other nutrients like ascorbic acid, calcium, magnesium, zinc, inositol and GABA may help sleep problems.

Unfortunately there is no one supplement for sleep except maybe melatonin. Not everyone with a sleep problem needs to supplement melatonin. But melatonin may help regulate your sleep pattern (time you fall asleep, for example, if you take it at the same time every night).

#3 tlm884

tlm884
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Over the years, I've messed a lot with my sleep levels by staying up late or by taking a 3 hr nap and then getting up in order to finish my hw. The funny thing is that the way this havoc manifests is that I wake 3 hrs after I go to sleep and then generally wake around 5/5:30 if I go to bed anywhere from 10-12 o clock.

Are there any supplements or things I could do to help reverse my sleep issues?

I would try 3mg of melatonin before bedtime. Try and find a time realease product if you can. A really good product is called Sleep MD. Also, try valerin root. It is GABAergic and can help with sleep. Magnesium taurinate or Magnesium glycinate is another good choice. 1.5 grams of Taurine before bed is also another wise choice. Taurine has a wide arrary of benefits including helping with sleep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users