Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Questions to Eva Victoria

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#541 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'm quite happy with the Orbis. It is still whitening a bit !!!!! GRRR but it is less so then the Allie I think, so to me its now acceptable to use and I used it the last few days. I like it so far. Would really like to know if you can apply C E Ferulic immediately before or if it will lead to your skin absorbing the ZnO particles or sth...

#542 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

I'm quite happy with the Orbis. It is still whitening a bit !!!!! GRRR but it is less so then the Allie I think...

Were you using the "Mineral Moist" or "Perfect Alpha" product by Allie?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#543 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

I tried Allie's Perfect Alpha SPF 50+ - it's really quite excellent! It actually 'disappears' into my skin, leaving almost no trace (well, maybe just a very faint sheen)......

I'm quite happy with the Orbis. It is still whitening a bit !!!!! GRRR but it is less so then the Allie I think, so to me its now acceptable to use and I used it the last few days......

blood & Heyman, how much of sunscreen did you use? Everyday, I apply about 1/4 teaspoon of Allie on my face & see a bit of white cast; Orbis is invisible, though.

#544 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

blood & Heyman, how much of sunscreen did you use? Everyday, I apply about 1/4 teaspoon of Allie on my face & see a bit of white cast; Orbis is invisible, though.

About 1-1.5 mg/mm²... A bit too little I know. Its not really visible, but it looks paler afterwards.

Edited by Heyman, 17 January 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#545 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I tried Allie 50SPF but I don't like it personally. But I have almost never liked a sunscreen, somehow it always make my skin look worse (dried, dehydrated, irritated etc...).
BUT I now found a sunscreen that works for me! Finally! So I will probably be sticking with it forever :p It is called Cell Block C http://www.paulascho...n-SPF-20<br />My skin has been looking very good and feeling very soft

Active: Titanium Dioxide (6.6%), Other: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Aluminum Stearate, Cetyl Esters, Jojoba Esters, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Ascorbic Acid Polypeptide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Squalane, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extra, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf, Di-PPG-3 Myristyl Ether Adipate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Alumina, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Ammonium Acrylate Copolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin

#546 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

It only has Titanium Dioxide as sunscreen, this won't help against UVA 2 unfortunately and UVA is on of the main causes of wrinkles etc... Zinc Oxide would be a lot better.

#547 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Yeah but the problem is that this is so far the only one that works well for my skin

#548 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Yeah but the problem is that this is so far the only one that works well for my skin

Here's a good resource that supports Zinc Oxide over Titanium Dioxide:

If you scroll down to the bottom you will see a chart with sunscreen components and the UV radiation they protect from:

http://www.skincance...ing-uva-and-uvb

It looks like titanium dioxide does not protect against UVA1 which is a wavelength of 340-400 nm. UVA2 is only 320 to 340 nm, and although I don't really know anything about the quantity of UV rays that reach the earth, the UVA1 spectrum is larger than UVA2 so I would definitely want to keep that one in my sunscreen.

I have been using Burnout and I highly recommend it. There is a bit of whiteness however I work in a lab so I just wash it off when I get to work and put on moisturizer.

#549 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

I aim for around 1/4 teaspoon, but I'm not so sure I'm reaching that level. I don't actually measure it out into a measuring spoon. Maybe I should?

I noticed quite a difference between the Allie "Perfect Alpha" (dark blue + white label) & Allie "Mineral Moist" (light blue + white label) products, in terms of their look on my skin. The Perfect Alpha gives a finish that is more or less invisible on my face. The Mineral Moist product leaves a glistening shine on my face (seems OK on my neck though).

Edited by blood, 18 January 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#550 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

I don't like Mineral Moist either which leaves heavy white cast and shines as oil on my skin.

#551 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

You tried the orbis one annvdb? I used the allie one (uv protector) and didn't like it too much, but the orbis is really fine if applied not too thick its just fine and acceptable. For example burnout is horrible to me, skin feels 20x as greasy compared to the orbis. Most skin aging is UVA, so thats what I'd worry about. Nano ZnO is not perfect against UVA 1 either but still helps a bit and with good antioxidants I think it will work.

#552 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

To me, if I use a cloth to exfoliate the skin after cleansing & then use a moisturizer before applying Allie, it won't leave so much white cast on my skin.

Though Orbis looks invisible, I believe that the ZnO are nano particles and its UVA protection is weaker than that of Allie. Except on special occasions like business meetings I use Orbis, most of the time I use Allie.

#553 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

I never tried orbis before.
Maybe I will.

But let me show you what I mean with that sunscreen 'makes my skin look worse'.

This is a pic of my skin with sunscreen. The top pic is after supergoop sunscreen and the others is when i stopped it and only used water witha drop of olive oil in it.
But most creams made my skin look rough like that. Thats why I often refuse to wear any cream since my skin looks way better without anything on it. I found with the sunscreens it started to look abit leathery :S And I am abit too young to get leathery skin.

Posted Image

This is my skin with cell block c (dont mind the little tiny pimples, I always have those :) )

Posted Image

Edited by Annvdb, 19 January 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#554 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

Annvdb,

Which Supergoop you used? It seems that all Supergoop suncreen are chemical ones, except those CC cream. Maybe you sensitive to those chemical filter.

#555 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

This one: http://www.supergoop...uct_detail&p=26

#556 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

This one: http://www.supergoop...uct_detail&p=26

You may try Orbis to see if you like it.

#557 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Is the Orbis UV Cut a chemical or physical sunscreen?

#558 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Orbis has similar ingredients to Allie, but looks different on my skin nonetheless so you might still give it a try if you didn't like the Allie. The sunscreen is a mixture of physical and chemical, 18% ZnO (physical) mixed with some chemical ones.

#559 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Eva,

I work in a lab and am worried about potentially getting contaminants on my face (carcinogens etc). What sort of cream would you recommend I wear in the lab to shield my face from contaminants, I was thinking a heavy day cream of some sort. I was thinking of putting this on over my sunscreen and then washing it off when I leave the lab.

Any ideas?

#560 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Tried the Orbis UV Cut Sunscreen Super (the one in the yellow bottle). For me, it is the most matte & invisible sunscreen for the face that I have tried to date. I also really like the Allie Perfect Alpha (the finish is a bit more 'reflective', but is still invisible on my face. (My complexion is fair/ light - not sure if these products would be invisible for someone with olive or darker skin.) My main concern is not looking like Marcel Marceau at work. I think my approach from here on will be to use an inexpensive high SPF sunscreen from Neutrogena on my hands, ears, neck, etc. and the Orbis Sunscreen Super or the Allie Perfect Alpha on my face.

On a whim, I also ordered Biore's Men's Facial Lotion with SPF 30 PA+++ after reading this article:
http://www.ratzillac...ing-summer-2013
It comes in a generous 180 ml bottle, and costs next to nothing (postage from Japan adds a bit). It also is invisible on my face. Obviously the protection isn't as high as with the other sunscreens being discussed. It has a very inoffensive fragrance (citrus-ish). I might use it on my face on days when I don't have to go outside much at all.

The Japanese people seem to have access to inexpensive sunscreen products with much better "aesthetics" than people in Western countries. Wonder why that is?

Edited by blood, 23 January 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#561 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Eva could you answer me this?

http://www.longecity...creen-question/

I get to the thread not to the post.

I'm quite happy with the Orbis. It is still whitening a bit !!!!! GRRR but it is less so then the Allie I think...

Were you using the "Mineral Moist" or "Perfect Alpha" product by Allie?

I tried them both. Perfect Alpha SPF 50+ is definitely a very elegant matte non-whitening sunscreen. The only minus is the lack of anti-oxidants.

Depends on what kind of lab/ material you work with.
I think a mask would be more protective than any emulsions. It would also protect against inhalation of powder/gas etc.

Eva,

I work in a lab and am worried about potentially getting contaminants on my face (carcinogens etc). What sort of cream would you recommend I wear in the lab to shield my face from contaminants, I was thinking a heavy day cream of some sort. I was thinking of putting this on over my sunscreen and then washing it off when I leave the lab.

Any ideas?

#562 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

From an article on "bad skin habits":

OVERLOOKING SUNSCREEN IN CERTAIN AREAS
Slathering SPF over your entire face (even in the winter) is a good start, but you can't ignore the rest of your body—and certain areas are missed too often. "In my practice, I'm seeing an epidemic of skin cancer along the hairline, the jawline, and the ears," says Dennis Gross, a dermatologist in New York City. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher all over your face and exposed skin from the neck down. And keep in mind that light cotton clothes won't totally protect skin on their own in the summer.

How many people here carefully apply their sunscreen right up to their hairline? down to their jawline and down their neck? over their ears?!? :P

#563 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

I had to stop with the cell block c as well :(

My skin really doesnt do well with any product, I am doomed :p

It started to have white flakes, and looked less good than without a product on it.

I am now trying samples from Paula's choice

#564 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

It started to have white flakes, and looked less good than without a product on it.

I wonder if a glycolic or salicylic acid gel used in the evening would help?

Or, for that matter, GLA/evening primrose oil and fish oil supplements? Zinc picolinate?

#565 Annvdb

• 27 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Maybe. A factor may be that I usually only use water to clean my face.

#566 amyd

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Hi Eva,
Thanks for all the incredibly useful info. I am brand new to this forum.

I work in an office with several large windows but I keep the metal blinds closed. Still, a small amount of light comes in, but it's very little...not enough to illuminate the room. I still need overhead lights to do my work. How far from the windows does my desk need to be to protect from UVA light...if you can even answer this?

Also, can you recommend a very good sunscreen for me---for summer and winter? I have very little exposure. My car has UV protective film on the windows which I installed. I am outside for maybe two minutes in winter. I am mainly concerned about the accumulation of incidental UVA window light over time.

In summer I have perhaps 10 mins of partially shaded UVB exposure daily, sometimes more on weekends.

I am 45 but look ten yrs younger thanks to sun avoidance and sunscreen for 20 years. My skin is somewhat dry and sensitive because of retinol. I live in Washington DC but will buy sunscreen from anywhere in the world to find the best formulation, as long as the shipping isn't likely to negatively affect the ingredients.

I like using zinc oxide bc of calming properties and now use a few formulas with about 9% but I'd like something with more protection ....both for winter days in the office but also summer days when I have a bit of UVB exposure. I'd like it to contain at least some zinc oxide but not be too whitish.

What would you recommend for me--Allie, bioderma, garnier ambre solaire, avene emulsion or something else? (I read a lot of your old posts.) I use CE ferulic underneath but still want something w more antioxidants in the sunscreen itself.

Thank you so much!

Amy

Edited by amyd, 03 March 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#567 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi amyd,

Here's a reply from Eva Victoria to blood re: s/s recommendations as of Nov, last year. I use the BurnOut myself, have repurchased several times. I don't find it whitening, but I am very fair. (Haven't yet tried the Allie.)

Best, Mia

I think the sunscreen I just reviewed in the thread "My new sunscreen launched", Burnout with 18.6% ZnO and very good and efficient anti-oxidants is a much better sunscreen.
Allie's Perfect Alpha SPF 50+ PPD ++++ sunscreen is an excellent extremely light weight almost invisible sunscreen with 16.23% ZnO + 9% OMC + 1% UAP (Uvinul A Plus).

http://www.ratzillac...erfect-alpha-s/

Also the Allie Mineral Moist Sunscreen SPF 50+ PPD ++++ is an excellent light weight sunscreen with a cooling effect.
ZnO 9.52%, OMC 7.5%, UAP 2.5%, OCR 0.2%

http://www.ratzillac...ral-moisture-n/
http://global.rakute...sOXG1Gt6jkNA_Xw

#568 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I also think you should try the Burnout. I've used it many times in the past. Has little to no white effect plus high % zinc. I would also try Purple Prairie. It's what I use and I like it more than Burnout. If these or any sunscreen are too white for you, you can add a few drops of liquid tint to the sunscreen. Will not have any great effect on lessening the protection. Especially if you are using a sunscreen with at least 18% zinc. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B001Q89YTI Just buy the darkest tint so you will need less drops. Use this code for 20% off the Purple Prairie (CLEAN20)
http://www.purplepra...t&product_id=52

Here are a couple more sunscreens to consider. You could also use these sunscrens as a tint for another sunscreen. (mixed together).

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B005F6ABK8

http://healing-scent.../sunscreen.html

I would not worry about the UV rays in your office considering your wearing zinc oxide sunscreen and you close the blinds. Not much else you can do really.
How much sunscreen are you wearing? Needs to be around 1/4 tsp for the face and the same amount for the neck.

Edited by mustardseed41, 04 March 2014 - 05:59 PM.

#569 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Much more expensive than the others but has rave reviews and comes in different tint shades.

http://www.amazon.co...grity sunscreen

#570 Reincarnatian

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi Eva!

I have some micronized zinc (i have both the coated an the uncoated so don’t worry about this ) I want to mix in my sunscreen witch has the folowwing UV-filters

Diethylhexyl Butamido Triazone ( aka Iscotrizinol, Uvasorb HEB )

Diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate (Uvinul A Plus)

Ethylhexyl triazone (Uvinul T 150)

Bemotrizinol (bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Tinosorb S by BASF and as Escalol S

Does anybody here know if the zinc powder would un-stabilize the filters or should It be OK to mix in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users