• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 Shannon Vyff

Shannon Vyff

Lead Moderator

• Life Member, Director
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

Just want to point out that I could die in an accident at any age so "living long enough to see more singularity like change that may enable me to live longer" has never been a reason not to be signed up for cryonics.

On wasting my money with cryonics, it won't matter to me as the money comes out of my life insurance after I'm legally dead--many times more than the amount of my suspension will go to my children, my family and several of my favorite non-profit organizations (social action, and life extension oriented). But, also-the actual money that does go to cryonics (if I am able to be preserved)-helps with not only the promotion of the idea, which I feel is a noble and reasonable attempt for humans to time travel--but it also goes to research of better organ preservation in order to help keep people alive today, it goes to the local community around the cryonics organization and towards the salaries of cryonics employees (none of which that I know of, are making "very much"-at least not over 6 figures or anything like that that I'd consider a higher than average amount for a first world salary, and they also give back to their communities anyway with their own spending). Waste of money is relative... I'm going to pick up two free matching couches today that I found someone giving away on Freecycle (they are in excellent condition)--I have plenty of money to buy new couches, but that is not the point. The point is that I save money where I can within reason. I drive a used car (that is highly rated on crash tests, as I have three children). I buy food in bulk, I find better deals on large homes in areas with good schools. I "shop around" to save on every dollar or pound (I just moved to the UK three months ago). I save money where I can because I prefer to have money on hand for travel and for donations to various non-profits. (Above what we spend on healthy food, gifts, clothes and such for our family--and the modern necessities such as our four computers, our 56-inch hd tv and satellite package) There is a balance within each months' budget, and my long term outlook on what I spend and where. My goals are to raise my children with inspiring knowledge and responsibility.

#32 waldemar

waldemar
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

I am 26 now. I've noticed very often that it's hard to guess what happens in the next five years. It's really hard to guess about the technology ~50 years from now. Maybe, maybe not - we can do our best, but there's no guarantee.

I still regard it as a black swan. But it still makes sense (no pun intended) to increase ones probability to profit from it, if it happens.

http://en.wikipedia....ack_swan_theory

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users