- - - - -

Reversing burnout

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RockandSoul

RockandSoul
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:04 AM

I have a very demanding job like may forum members. In particular I in general work 50-60 hour weeks in a high stress environment and have commutes on the order of 10 hours per week.

I'm finding my memory is not as strong as it's been and I have an important certification exam in my field.

While I have very little opportunity to take vacation prior to my certification exam as well.

I'm looking for the best advice to reverse the burnout and have the energy after the long hours at work to study for my important exam.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I went off caffeine a few months ago but am back on the wagon again.

#2 Lallante

Lallante
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

It seems that everyone is different in this regard, but probably your first stop should be something along the lines of Piracetam and a choline source (such as Alpha GPC) daily. If you get benefits from this then build up. I've had success with Bacopa (takes a month or two to kick in though) and Modafinil is great for focus.

#3 LabRat84

LabRat84
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

The answer might sound obvious, but: sleep.

Simplified, there are two kinds of sleep:
REM sleep helps consolidate memories which helps learning. But it doesn't leave you rested.
Deep non-REM sleep (stages 3 and 4) is more refreshing, and being alert helps attention and short-term memory. With poor attention and short-term memory, long-term memories are less likely to form in the first place.
It sounds like your commute is cutting into sleep.
Various medications and supplements can alter sleep patterns.

Look for ways to enhance sleep quality - any suggestions from forum members?

#4 Athanasios

Athanasios
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

1. sleep
2. creatine monohydrate and mild exercise
3. 15 minutes meditation
4. adaptogen (such as bacopa above or ashwagandha)
5. low dose lithium

Also make sure to allow yourself to experience simple pleasures in any way you can.

#5 xdopamine

xdopamine
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

You might benefit from ayurvedic herbs like Ashwagandha.

#6 Imagination

Imagination
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

I've got that today, night off needed I think.

#7 chrono

chrono
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

Did you stop taking caffeine yet? What else are you taking at the moment?

Get enough sleep, and find time every day (maybe at the end) to do something entirely fun. Without these, anything else is going to be a bandaid.

Dealing with the stress is the other big one. Keeping a relaxed attitude even when you're rushed/under pressure is key to avoiding burnout. Adaptogens or anxiolytics like l-theanine might help you out, but the attitude is highly individual.

#8 Imagination

Imagination
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

Just a 30 minute power nap can work wonders, I sometimes do this when i get in from work and have to study in the evening.

#9 Animal

Animal
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

An adaptogen is definitely the best choice, there are many to choose from, I would recommend Siberian Ginseng.

#10 Logan

Logan
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Rhodiola's another good one. I have found New Chapter's Rhodiola Force to have a profound effect.

#11 Lallante

Lallante
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

REM sleep helps consolidate memories which helps learning. But it doesn't leave you rested.
Deep non-REM sleep (stages 3 and 4) is more refreshing, and being alert helps attention and short-term memory. With poor attention and short-term memory, long-term memories are less likely to form in the first place.

Out of interest, how does this tie in to polyphasic sleepers (I have seen highly detailed and credible anecdotal reports of 6 x 15 minutes sleep per day functioning completely normally / even better than normal. I thought this seems to indicate that only REM is necessary for attention/memory.

#12 LabRat84

LabRat84
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

Out of interest, how does this tie in to polyphasic sleepers (I have seen highly detailed and credible anecdotal reports of 6 x 15 minutes sleep per day functioning completely normally / even better than normal. I thought this seems to indicate that only REM is necessary for attention/memory.

To tell you the truth, I don't know. Sleep is still a mystery to many.
Because of galantamine and choline sources (and reduced use of Alprazolam) I've had a lot of REM-heavy sleep lately. I haven't felt as refreshed. My attention and short term memory are ok, once I wake up (which can take a while).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users