* * * * * 1 votes

Brain Broken from SSRI's & SNRI's and Seeking Guidance

anxiety nootropics help discontinuation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drifty

• 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm a 40 yr old male who owns a small successful technology studio. Here is my situation in a nutshell...

For the past 12 years i have been on and off SSRI and SNRI medications for severe generalized anxiety with panic. A year ago I made the difficult decision to get off of the one I was on at the time (Lexapro). This has resulted in the challenge of my life. Even with a very slow taper I have experienced horrendous discontinuation syndrome. I feel that I'm beyond that but the aftermath has left me with a blunted mind and a wrecked digestive system (IBS-C with chronic gut pain).

I am a parent of a special needs boy and have a wife and other boy who I love dearly. Additionally I have a small business to run. I have been barely holding on and barely able to function. Recently a psychiatrist prescribed me a low dose of Baclofen, thinking this would ease my anxiety while targeting a different system (GABAB) than the SSRI's targeted. This stuff, while controlling my anxiety, only blunts my mind further.

I recently discovered nootropics and have done some reading over the past few weeks about them. I haven't tried them. I need something, anything, to get my brain functioning again but I can't risk flaring up my raging anxiety. Stimulants send my anxiety through the roof. I avoid all of them. I eat a healthy diet but I don't get enough calories because my gut issues have forced me to omit both gluten and dairy.

I have a very sensitive system and I don't want to ever take an antidepressant or benzodiazepene ever again if I can help it. I feel that they've poisoned me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

#2 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/

Rapidly repairs your brain at a cellular level by triggering an existing neural repair/growth function and is known to fix the side effects and tolerance from neuroleptics and SSRIs. Read the whole thread, you need to supplement folate and B12 (as well as maintain a nutritious diet) with this regime.

Lexapro is horrible stuff - destroys your memory and ability to function in the real world. Sorry you went through all that.
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

I don´t think you can use nootropics to treat psychiatric conditions. You risk losing time and making things worse. Most nootropics are cholinergics that can cause anxiety or depression.
If lexapro worked why quit?
Anyway, have a look
http://www.psycholog...oil-and-anxiety
I think there was a thread on ashwaganda, schizandra or other herbs.
Also, Mg pidolate
have you tried propranolol, atenolol for anxiety?

Edited by noos, 11 November 2011 - 11:49 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#4 Neurotik

• 85 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Look into gentler substances that have a sustainable effect over the long-term: adaptogens.

These address you as a whole: physical, mental, emotional.

Reishi Mushroom (this is a big one), Gotu Kola, Cordyceps, Gynostemma, the list goes on. These you can take as many of or as little of (with *maybe* the exception of Gotu Kola) for as long as you like. Some of them function more as foods than what we traditionally perceive as "herbs" or "drugs."

May I suggest is that you get in touch with Brandon Gilbert.

http://hyperionherbs.com/

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/ixZNVHj2iHU

Reasons:

1) You have nothing to lose at this point

2) These are not drugs or volatile herbs, but they *are* powerful and can do great things if you give them a fair shot. Most people put them down before they get a chance to work.

If you do choose to go this route, keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by Neurotik, 11 November 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#5 Metabolic

• 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

+1 on adaptogens.

After my mutant ninja tweakathon with pharmaceuticals, I plan to spend some time normalizing and regulating shit with less sexy, more holistic natural herbs.

One I would recommend for your purposes is holy basil which is a magic pill of an adaptogen and reduces stress induced inflammation (through a cox-2 inhibitory action) which it seems you suffer from with your IBS:

Stressors --> CNS --> Hypothalamus – Pituitary – Adrenal [HPA Axis]
Holy basil helps deal with physical, biological, chemical and emotional stressors
Stressors --> Stress --> Adaptogen (Holy Basil) --> Full recovery or Partial recovery (stress disease)
IN SUMMARY: Holy basil calms the mind, improves both cellular and humoral immunity, enhances stamina and reduces fatigue, lowers blood pressure and increased heart rate due to stress, decreases stress-induced intestinal motility, reduces increased coagulation (thrombosis) occurring during stress, and protects against radiation, free radical damage, pollution, and bacterial, viral and fungal infections, cancer and improves oxygen utilization.
Adapted from Tulsi by Dr. Narendra Singh (2002)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 drifty

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

holy crap you guys are amazing. how I wish this site had been available 12 years ago. :( I trusted my doctor and he gave me powerful drugs, too powerful for my wonky nervous system.

I'm a little overwhelmed and need to sort through this info, not sure which to start with. Would any of these interact with my Baclofen? (I'm only taking 30mg a day, 25 of that at bedtime). I intend on tapering off of it as soon as I stabilize a bit more.

Also, I picked up a bottle of 500mg Inositol because I read somewhere that it helps with Anxiety. Haven't tried one yet. Any info on this one?

I have a bottle of high EPA over DHA fish oil. Sadly it currently causes serious abdominal cramping with my IBS. ugh. Can't take it, yet.

I have not tried propranolol, atenolol for anxiety. I'm looking these up now.

Thank you, guys.

Edited by drifty, 12 November 2011 - 02:41 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, nootropics, help, discontinuation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users