Boxing & Speed...

boxing speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy

• 66 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

What will artificially improve reaction speed (w.r.t Boxing & motor control)?

What is the specific mechanism related to reaction speed?

And how do you train this naturally... or is it genetic?

If you supplement for reaction speed, is it transferable? (e.g. Improved plasticity through piracetam assists the learning process)

Anyone?

Thanks,
-Timothy

#2 kevinseven11

• 385 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Learn new things and supplement Brain growth factors. This is why http://www.functiona...-excitable-yes/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

DMAE+Modafinil!!!

#4 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Err.. Maybe supress anxiety, look into things that improve concentration. Try piracetam, it works differently for everyone.
I'm sure that it's been asked here before, noots that support sports performance. Look into older topics
I wouldn't advise using rough things like modafinil just for sports or hobby's.

#5 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

For reaction time, I think a few of the most targeted nootropics I'd consider are Pyritinol, one of the "-afinil" drugs (Armodafinil, Modafinil. Adrafinil), and Caffeine. As a secondary consideration, possibly Sulbutiamine, DMAA, ALCAR, and Ginseng.
Pyritinol is one of the few nootropics that reportedly improves reaction time. http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2135070 All the others I mentioned are often purported to have notable stimulation of the CNS and areas of the brain involved in cognitive arousal and alertness. Some type of anxiolytic like Picamilon may be helpful to suppress anxiety that might be caused by the stimulants.

Although they have no direct benefit on reaction time that I'm aware of, I still think some type of racetam could be helpful. I'm a strong proponent of racetams, it seems like general cognitive improvement would be helpful in any situation.

Some of it may be genetic, but I think good conditioning is a far more significant factor than genetics. Some methods I think may effectively improve reaction times include juggling, wind sprints, using a speed bag, jumping rope, and dancing. A video Beyond Speed by Health For Life featured many techniques for training reaction time, but the only one I readily recall involved watching a 30 minute TV show and punching every time the camera angle changes. I think strength training would help too, anything which improves explosive strength of muscles may help as much as mental training.

I'm not suggesting you should take all of those supplements at once (or any of them). That's just an overview of a few things that seem to offer the most promise. You'd probably have to do your own testing to find out which ones affect you in the most favorable ways.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Timothy

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those avenues.

Just to be clear... Its not that I am lathargic.... its just that my trainer is just so much more quicker. My speed has improved but fine grained control over movements, at speed, is critical to dodge a storm of blows. To be able to dodge this, you need the mental speed, control and stamina along with the physical muscle to be able to pull it off without getting tired. I suspect that cutting the caffeine may have a better long term effect than using caffeine... but thats not going to happen.

Again, its the learning transfer of speed that I am looking for and not just the speed.

I believe I may have have found that tyrosine allows me to push my speed a little faster than usual. Racetam seems to make getting hit hurt more and does little for speed. My thought process is that racetams may assist in making the speed improvements semi-permanent.

Thanks,
-Tim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boxing, speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users