Photo

Abnormal blood work

c-reactive protein uric acid potassium co2 ggt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

Today I got the results from an extensive blood work up. My c-reactive protein was 6 (should be less than 1), my potassium was low, my uric acid was high, my co2 was high, and my GGT was high. I know the potassium I can fix by eating bananas and drinking orange juice. The uric acid, co2, and GGT will be further investigated. My biggest concern is the c-reactive protein.

As of right now, we don't know the cause of the high crp, however, what supplements and other interventions can I investigate to lower my crp. I plan on researching as of right now aspirin, vitamin D, and magnesium.

#2 SocietyOfMind

• 23 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I know the potassium I can fix by eating bananas and drinking orange juice.

This sounds like a recipe for killing your insulin sensitivity.

Have your insulin sensitivity checked - there is a well established link to C-reactive protein.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I was just reading the other day that coffee lowered GGT...

Other than that, Lecithin is supposed to be one of your liver's favorite foods (GGT a liver enzyme). Phospholipids and choline. Eggs have more of this than anything else you might eat if you'd rather not take supplemental lecithin.

Glad you found out about these things now. They shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Best of Luck to you!

#4 tlm884

• Topic Starter
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

I will look into lecithin supplements. I am also considering taurine. Taurine helps regulate electrolytes and also helps with fatty liver. I have previously had an Ultrasound showing fatty liver but a follow up ultrasound showed it was gone, maybe it flared up.

I am also being investigated for an adrenal mass. I have had previously high cortisol tests. I am going for another cortisol test and am awaiting results of my CT.

Current I am looking into
- coffee to lower ggt
-magnesium to regulate potassium
-taurine
-5-loxin
-daily Asa
-vitamin d
-vitamin c
-supplements to raise glutathione

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

I have previously had an Ultrasound showing fatty liver but a follow up ultrasound showed it was gone, maybe it flared up.

What does your diet look like, and how are your triglycerides? You should probably cut out sugars and refined carbs to the extent you can, and raise your healthy fat intake. (Olive oil, coconut oil, dairy with fat, if you use dairy.)

#6 tlm884

• Topic Starter
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

Last I had my lipids done they were normal. I have a req to get it done again. To be honest, my diet is crap. It's full of fat and I eat often. My doctor told me that in people with high cortisol they often eat high fat food often to compensate for low energy levels. I know this makes it sound like I am using as an excuse but I often find myself cravings fatty high protein foods.

I don't often cook with oil as I have a tendency to eat out. I know my diet isnt the best and the past few weeks I have been making a greater effort to eat better. I have switched to whole grains, increased my consumption of foods containing antioxidants, and limiting things that contain refined sugar.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

Last I had my lipids done they were normal. I have a req to get it done again. To be honest, my diet is crap. It's full of fat and I eat often. My doctor told me that in people with high cortisol they often eat high fat food often to compensate for low energy levels. I know this makes it sound like I am using as an excuse but I often find myself cravings fatty high protein foods.

I don't often cook with oil as I have a tendency to eat out. I know my diet isnt the best and the past few weeks I have been making a greater effort to eat better. I have switched to whole grains, increased my consumption of foods containing antioxidants, and limiting things that contain refined sugar.

You probably have a bad omega 3:6 ratio from the industrial seed oils in fast and prepared foods. This leads to a pro-inflammatory state. You should take a couple grams of fish oil per day to help correct this. You're probably also getting too many of the wrong kind of carbs. Fat is not inherently bad, except for the industrial seed oils, or if you have the ApoE 4 genotype. (odds of that are roughly 25%) The foods that are your friends are meat, fish, and non-starchy vegetables. Starchy vegetables are ok if you combine them with fat and protein to slow down the glucose blast. Grains can be ok in the same way, with fat. I would try to avoid the gluten grains. Wheat is the worst. You don't need to eliminate it unless you have a sensitivity, but I found cutting back to be a huge improvement to both my digestion and my body composition. Try to find a good olive oil that you like, and keep it handy when you eat. You can put it on all sorts of things. A quality olive oil is like a superfood. It's good for you, and it makes other foods better for you.

#8 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

The high uric acid means your diet is too high in meats and grains, so more balance with vegetables and leafy greens. You'll get gout if you keep that up. CRP says inflammation, Uric acid says acidic diet, ggt says liver trouble. All in all the numbers seem to be telling you that your diet needs an overhaul. There's lots of examples here of what a good diet looks like. I encourage you to make changes.

edit: Potassium Salt can also be a good way to avoid sodium, and raise your potassium. Two birds with one stone!!

Edited by scottknl, 01 June 2012 - 02:50 AM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 tlm884

• Topic Starter
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

I was doing some reading and it lOoks like low potassium can cause high iuric acid. I am also on thiazides for hypertension. It's also possible that I have hyperaldosternism which would explain the adrenal problems and the wonky blood. However I agree my diet needs an overhaul.

I will also lOok into olive oil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c-reactive protein, uric acid, potassium, co2, ggt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users