• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

Logic
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Deprenyl – extending lifespan

"...Knoll has repeatedly emphasized that the nigrostriatal tract, the tiny dopamine-using nerve cluster in the basal ganglia (“old brain”), typically dies off at an average rate of 13% per decade starting around age 45 in humans.

This fact literally sets the human technical lifespan (maximum obtainable by a member of a species) at about 115 years, since by that age the nigral neuron population would have dropped below 10% of its original number, at which time death ensues even if in all other respects the organism were healthy. (23) Based on the sum total of the animal deprenyl literature, as well as the 1985 study showing life-extension in deprenyl-treated Parkinson’s patients (25) Knoll has suggested that if deprenyl were used from the 40s on, and only modestly lowered the nigrostriatal neuron death rate – i.e. from 13% to 10% per decade – then the average human lifespan might increase 15 years, and the human technical lifespan would increase to roughly 145 years. (23)

After 45 years of research, Knoll has concluded that “…the regulation of lifespan must be located in the brain,” (20) His research has further convinced him that “… it is the role of the catecholaminergic neurones to keep the higher brain centers in a continually active state, the intensity of which is dynamically changed within broad limits according to need.” (20) Knoll’s research has shown that catecholaminergic nerve activity reaches a maximum at sexual maturity, and then begins a long, gradual downhill slide thereafter. Knoll’s animal research has shown catecholaminergic activity, learning ability, sexual activity and longevity to be inextricably interlinked. (11, 20)

Knoll argues that the quality and duration of life is a function of the inborn efficiency of the catecholaminergic brain machinery, “i.e. a high performing longer living individual has a more active, more slowly deteriorating catecholaminergic system than [his/her] low performing, shorter living peer.” (20) And his key conclusion is that “… as the activity of the catecholaminergic system can be improved at any time during life, it must be essentially feasible to … [transform] a lower performing, shorter living individual to a better performing, longer living one.” (20)
It is on this basis that Knoll consistently, throughout his deprenyl papers (11,20, 23) , recommends the use of 10 – 15 mg oral deprenyl/week, starting in the 40s, to help achieve this goal in humans. Knoll’s research clearly convinces him that deprenyl is both a safe and effective preserver of the nigrostriatal tract, as well as a catecholamine activity enhancer. deprenyl may not be the ultimate anti-aging drug, but it is one that is safe and effective, well validated theoretically and experimentally, and it’s available now..."
http://smart-drugs.n...-deprenylJS.htm
NB: references.

Published papers by Knoll:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....hor_uid=7971740

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this research sound?
Can this be considered a theary of aging?
Are there other ways to slow nigrostriatal neuron death or perhaps rejuvenate the nigrostriatal tract?

---------------------------------------

Reconstruction of the Nigrostriatal Pathway by Simultaneous Intrastriatal and Intranigral Dopaminergic Transplants
http://www.jneurosci...2/7216.full.pdf

Edited by Logic, 24 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

• like x 2

#2 Logic

Logic
  • Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Resveratrol:
http://www.google.co...iw=1093&bih=483

#3 anagram

anagram
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Resveratrol and Deprenyl are apples and oranges.

#4 niner

niner
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Anagram's right about that. The deprenyl info is very interesting, but I think resveratrol is not in any way relevant to it. Deprenyl life extension had some amount of buzz years ago, but it seemed to fade away. I never really looked at it, so I can't tell you if there was a good reason for that, or if it was considered too speculative and just didn't catch on. Anyone know? What would it feel like to be on enough deprenyl to show the LE effect? Any negative long term consequences?

#5 spermidine

spermidine
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

do you think rasagiline can duplicate and even have better results ? not sure why they did a study of a now upgraded and replaced substance.

#6 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Deprenyl facilitates recovery after stroke Deprenyl is an effective antidepressant Deprenyl may extend lifespanDeprenyl improved apathy caused by head injury Deprenyl improves depression Deprenyl may aid in smoking cessationDeprenyl for Alzheimer's disease Deprenyl may protect against vascular and neurodegenerative diseases Deprenyldelays the deterioration of neurons during aging Deprenyl sexual performance and longevity Deprenyl delays disability in Parkinsonian patients Deprenyl treated rats were much more sexually active than their peers .
"Deprenyl is what good pharmaceuticals are all about. First it is exceptionally safe, second it protects and enhances mental function, mood and even libido, thirdly, it may even extend life."
. Julian Whitaker M.D. Health and Healing Newsletter

Deprenyl research in Alzheimer's disease

Deprenyl research in Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl protects neurons against neurotoxins
  • Deprenyl in neurodegenerative disorders
  • Deprenyl enhances the release of dopamine
  • Deprenyl plus L-phenylalanine in the treatment of depression
  • Deprenyl in the treatment-resistant of older depressive patients
  • Deprenyl effects in atypical depressives
  • Deprenyl up-regulates superoxide dismutase and catalase
  • Deprenyl immunostimulant
  • Deprenyl pharmacology
  • Deprenyl effect on rat longevity and sexual acitivity
  • Deprenyl effects of experimental cocaine administration
  • Deprenyl effects on longevity in animals
  • Deprenyl effects on subjective ratings of cocaine-induced euphoria
  • Deprenyl increases the life span in Fischer rats
  • Deprenyl effects on short term memory in young and aged dogs
  • Deprenyl the facilitation of dopaminergic activity in the aged brain
  • Deprenyl fluoxetine (Prozac) and deprenyl
  • Deprenyl improves cardiac sympathetic terminal function in heart failure
  • Deprenyl effect on dopamine concentration in the striatum of a primate
  • Deprenyl a review of the pharmacology
  • Deprenyl restores IGF-1 levels to young levels
  • Deprenyl prolongs life in elderly dogs
  • Deprenyl past, present, and future
  • Deprenyl relevance to humans
  • Deprenyl responses of forebrain neurons to deprenyl
  • Deprenyl protects neurons from glutamate toxicity
  • Deprenyl nitric oxide production and dilation of cerebral blood vessels
  • Deprenyl modulates the decline of the striatal dopaminergic system
  • Deprenyl inhibits tumor growth in rats with mammary tumors
  • Deprenyl a catecholaminergic activity enhancer in the brain
  • Deprenyl releases coupling in the catecholaminergic neurons
  • Deprenyl clinical potential in neurologic and psychiatric disorders
  • Deprenyl protects human dopaminergic neuroblastoma cells
  • Deprenyl nitric oxide production and dilation of cerebral blood vessels
  • Deprenyl assessing the effects of deprenyl on longevity of animals
  • Deprenyl effects on cocaine-induced euphoria
  • Deprenyl effects on response to experimental cocaine administration
  • Deprenyl Are metabolites of deprenyl useful or harmful?
  • Deprenyl is devoid of amphetamine-like effects
  • Deprenyl treated rats lived beyond the known maximum lifespan
  • Deprenyl possible mechanisms of action in Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl effect on arm movement in early Parkinson's
  • Deprenyl effect on cognitive functions in early Parkinson's
  • Deprenyl stimulates biosynthesis of cytokines interleukin-1 & 6
  • Deprenyl effect of MAO-B inhibitors on MPP+ toxicity
  • Deprenyl pharmacological basis of the beneficial effects
  • Deprenyl modulates the decline of the dopamineric system
  • Deprenyl possible mechanisms of action in Parkinson's
  • Deprenyl depression in Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl improves visuo-motor control in early Parkinsonism
  • Deprenyl management of early Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl delays the onset of disability in Parkinsonian patients
  • Deprenyl and tocopherol antioxidative therapy of Parkinsonism
  • Deprenyl treatment and death of nigral neurons in Parkinson's disease.
  • Deprenyl rationale for deprenyl medication in Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl MAO-B inhibitors in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease
  • Deprenyl in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease
  • Deprenyl stimulates biosynthesis of cytokines interleukin-1 & 6
  • Deprenyl and age-related decline of the striatal dopaminergic system
  • Deprenyl is an MAO-B inhibitor
  • Deprenyl facilitates neuronal growth without inhibiting monoamine oxidase
  • Deprenyl and levodopa in Parkinson's disease
  • Deprenyl pharmacology
  • Deprenyl biochemical actions
  • Deprenyl increases life span in Parkinson's patients
  • Deprenyl the history of its development

#7 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I was sent a link by Logic for Deprenyl i did a search and came up with a whole list, but for some reason this edit for the intro wont attach to the above post probably something i am doing wrong when posting,

Edited by pleb, 25 February 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#8 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I hadn't seen the Deprenyl thread, and being full of flu i started another thread, perhaps the mod can move it here,?
there are a lot of interesting links in there all appear to be medical studies and not anecdotal,

#9 spermidine

spermidine
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

ill ask this again, why are people still stuck on selegiline when there is a newer upgraded version of it with proposed less side effects ? its like you guys get something in your head and run with it till the end.

#10 niner

niner
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

ill ask this again, why are people still stuck on selegiline when there is a newer upgraded version of it with proposed less side effects ? its like you guys get something in your head and run with it till the end.

We're discussing the longevity research, and that was all done with deprenyl. Do we know if rasagiline would have the same effects? (seems plausible) BTW, most of that deprenyl research was done a long time ago. Rasagiline may or may not have even existed then.

#11 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

until Logic sent me the link i had never heard of Deprenyl i have a few ailments that have appeared over the last couple of years, which consist of slightly high blood pressure and low thyroid,both within the last year and slightly enlarged prostate about 2 years ago but from the age of five until then had nothing serious that i needed drugs for, i can only conclude i have been lucky ,

nothing apart from the usual colds and flu from time to time,

Edited by pleb, 26 February 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#12 Logic

Logic
  • Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Both seem to protect the dopamine producing parts of the brain..?

#13 Logic

Logic
  • Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

... Deprenyl life extension had some amount of buzz years ago, but it seemed to fade away. I never really looked at it, so I can't tell you if there was a good reason for that, or if it was considered too speculative and just didn't catch on. Anyone know? What would it feel like to be on enough deprenyl to show the LE effect? Any negative long term consequences?

Good question.
The links are all there, but I hav'nt had the chance to read them all.

It seems that more than 10mg (5mg; 2x/day) can cause 'the cheese effect'.
ie: Inhibition of both MAO-A and MAO-B. Lower doses; just B.
I/We need to look at what the optimal life extension dose is.

Assessing the effects of deprenyl on longevity and antioxidant defenses in different animal models.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9928438

Deprenyl increases the life span as well as activities of superoxide dismutase and catalase but not of glutathione peroxidase in selective brain regions in Fischer rats.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8030852

The striatal dopamine dependency of life span in male rats. Longevity study with (-)deprenyl.
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3147347

(Thx Pleb for the above)

Spermidine:
Rasagiline is interesting. Got any info/links/studies?

#14 niner

niner
  • 16,276 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Both seem to protect the dopamine producing parts of the brain..?

Does resveratrol show that activity in vivo at any sort of sane dose? It looked to me like it was interfering with the powerful inflammatory stimulus of LPS (in vitro), but that's a completely separate thing from deprenyl.

#15 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Anagram's right about that. The deprenyl info is very interesting, but I think resveratrol is not in any way relevant to it. Deprenyl life extension had some amount of buzz years ago, but it seemed to fade away. I never really looked at it, so I can't tell you if there was a good reason for that, or if it was considered too speculative and just didn't catch on. Anyone know? What would it feel like to be on enough deprenyl to show the LE effect? Any negative long term consequences?

its possible that a great deal of this came before we had many of the forums on the internet and was only known by a few longevity enthusiasts, rather than any whose interest was on a more casual basis, i think a perhaps most of the interest in longevity is more recent

#16 spermidine

spermidine
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

... Deprenyl life extension had some amount of buzz years ago, but it seemed to fade away. I never really looked at it, so I can't tell you if there was a good reason for that, or if it was considered too speculative and just didn't catch on. Anyone know? What would it feel like to be on enough deprenyl to show the LE effect? Any negative long term consequences?

Good question.

Assessing the effects of deprenyl on longevity and antioxidant defenses in different animal models.

Deprenyl increases the life span as well as activities of superoxide dismutase and catalase but not of glutathione peroxidase in selective brain regions in Fischer rats.

The striatal dopamine dependency of life span in male rats. Longevity study with (-)deprenyl.

(Thx Pleb for the above)

Spermidine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23196982

The objective of this study is to demonstrate that application of rasagiline instead of selegiline with concomitant determination of L-amphetamine and L-methamphetamine in plasma is safe and well tolerated and influences sleep, mood, and motor behavior in patients with Parkinson's disease on a stable drug therapy. 30 patients, who took 7.5 mg selegiline daily for at least 3 months, were switched to 1 mg rasagiline. Then they were followed over an interval of 4 months. The remaining drug therapy remained stable. This changeover was safe and well tolerated. L-Amphetamine and L-methamphetamine only appeared during selegiline treatment. Motor behavior, motor complications, mood and sleep improved during rasagiline administration. Amphetamine-like derivatives of selegiline could contribute to sleep disturbances, which may be involved in worsening of mood. Motor behavior and motor complications probably became better due to the additional glutamate receptor antagonizing properties of rasagiline in this open label study.

guys i keep telling you. rasagiline is advanced upgrade of selegiline but you are stuck in the stone age. from what i can gather is, the same company that created selegiline also advanced it and made more recently or so the rasagiline upgrade.
  • dislike x 1

#17 JLL

JLL
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I wrote a summary on selegiline and life extension a few years back on my blog, haven't looked at any newer studies. I managed to order some from ADC and figured I'd try it for the nootropic effects as well. Damn cheap, too bad they no longer ship to Finland.

#18 renfr

renfr
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Good question.

(Thx Pleb for the above)

Spermidine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23196982

The objective of this study is to demonstrate that application of rasagiline instead of selegiline with concomitant determination of L-amphetamine and L-methamphetamine in plasma is safe and well tolerated and influences sleep, mood, and motor behavior in patients with Parkinson's disease on a stable drug therapy. 30 patients, who took 7.5 mg selegiline daily for at least 3 months, were switched to 1 mg rasagiline. Then they were followed over an interval of 4 months. The remaining drug therapy remained stable. This changeover was safe and well tolerated. L-Amphetamine and L-methamphetamine only appeared during selegiline treatment. Motor behavior, motor complications, mood and sleep improved during rasagiline administration. Amphetamine-like derivatives of selegiline could contribute to sleep disturbances, which may be involved in worsening of mood. Motor behavior and motor complications probably became better due to the additional glutamate receptor antagonizing properties of rasagiline in this open label study.

guys i keep telling you. rasagiline is advanced upgrade of selegiline but you are stuck in the stone age. from what i can gather is, the same company that created selegiline also advanced it and made more recently or so the rasagiline upgrade.

Any legit source for rasagiline that doesn't require prescription?

#19 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've just done a quick search one american supply company says they won't ship to the EU, and the cost in the states is 184 dollars for 30 tablets,

one other price mentioned in the search was £3-16 a tablet only with a prescription in the UK, for the cost of two tablets you can buy a months supply of Deprenyl and don't need a prescription

Edited by pleb, 26 February 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#20 spermidine

spermidine
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Any legit source for rasagiline that doesn't require prescription?

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/

this site is based in UK and they do sell it but it seems to be out of stock currently. perhaps you can pre-order i dunno

Edit: trimmed excessive quote.

Edited by niner, 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM.

• like x 1

#21 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

it's still 144 euros for a months supply even if its in stock, deprenyl is about 7 or 8 euros for a months supply,
it's an American company but it looks like they have a UK distributer

Edited by pleb, 26 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#22 Logic

Logic
  • Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

I want to bring this thread:
http://www.longecity...post__p__567971
to everyones attention as I think the info about taking Deprenyl/Selegiline sublingually or dermally only is very important?

Jadamgo:
"Taking selegiline the usual way (swallowing the pills) is frowned upon because most of the selegiline is converted to amphetamine metabolites, which aren't particularly toxic, but also aren't particularly helpful for the sorts of problems people want to use selegiline for.

Taking it sublingually or via the EMSAM patch is not frowned upon by most people who seriously understand the differences between sublingual/dermal selegiline and oral selegiline.

As for rasagiline, it is incapable of treating depression by itself. It's an okay treatment for Parkinson's disease, and perhaps general life extension, and likely has some mild nootropic effects. If you can afford the higher price of rasagiline over selegiline and just want a general life-extender/nootropic, then by all means, get rasagiline! It's far more convenient because you don't have to spend 10 minutes letting it dissolve under your tongue to use it safely. For those people wanting mood boosts, or who can't afford rasagiline, taking selegiline under the tongue is fine."

#23 spacetime

spacetime
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

So, 10mg weekly is now the preferred dose. I recall a few years back people were suggesting half that amount. Usually splitting a 5mg tab and using it twice per week. Guess I need to up my dose now.

#24 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

There are various doses mentioned in some of the links, but if i remember correctly one mentions 15 mg a week and another the same
i'm sure one specificly mentions 5 mg three times a week,

#25 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

here are a number of dosing amounts here,

Deprenyl

Posted Imagedeprenyl print version
Posted Image

Deprenyl (otherwise known as Selegiline) is currently the most promising therapy in the struggle against aging.
Recent studies have shown that Deprenyl has a variety of beneficial effects on brain aging, without producing toxic side effects.
There is much evidence to suggest that deprenyl is an antidepressant, a sexual stimulant, an effective treatment for Parkinson’s disease and a useful treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, as well as an anti-aging therapy.
Preventing and Treating Parkinson’s Disease
The most impressive clinical findings to date have been that Deprenyl slows the progression of Parkinson’s disease, and extends the life span of Parkinson’s disease patients.
In a test by Birkmayer in Austria, Parkinson’s disease patients receiving Madopar (L-Dopa plus a decarboxylase inhibitor) and deprenyl lived on average 15 months longer than patients only receiving Madopar . When 800 Parkinson’s disease patients received deprenyl in a United States and Canadian test in 1989, they were doing so much better than the control patients (who were
receiving a placebo), that the scientists directing the program halted it halfway, in order to provide the control patients with the benefits of Deprenyl. The study concluded that Deprenyl may help protect the dopamine producing neurons in the substania nigra region of the brain, from destruction. It is the loss of these neurons and the concurrent decline in the production of dopamine that causes
Parkinson’s disease. Several of the scientists experimenting with deprenyl are convinced that regular use of Deprenyl at the very early onset of Parkinson’s disease could prevent the disease entirely.
Accordingly to neurologist J William Langston of the Institute for Medical Research in San Jose, California “the evidence that Deprenyl can prevent Parkinson’s disease is strong and is getting stronger all the time”. Doctor Langston points to three compelling findings;
(A) Deprenyl is a powerful selective inhibitor of Monomine Oxidase B (MAO-B), the specific form of the enzyme that breaks dopamine into other compounds, which are then excreted. There is a marked age related rise in MAO levels, which leads to an increasing incidence of depression with advancing age. Doctor Langston also thinks that the specific type of MAO inhibition caused by Deprenyl
may also exert a protective effect on the neurons that produce dopamine.
(B) There is evidence that the dopamine producing neurons may be destroyed or made dysfunctional as a result of side effects caused by dopamine metabolism itself. Deprenyl inhibits the activity of one of the prime metabolites of dopamine called 6-OHDA, which generates oxidative free radical reactions that have been shown to have neurotoxic effects on brain neurons.
© Deprenyl protects dopaminergic neurons from environmental toxicity, caused by agents such as MPTP, a drug which caused severe Parkinson’s symptoms in young people who took it as a street drug in the 1970’s. It’s been shown that the toxic chemicals produced during the oxidation of MPTP destroy dopamine producing neurons and that injections of Deprenyl completely block this
destructive process.
The Unique MAO-B Inhibitor
Scientists have been exploring the use of Deprenyl as a treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease, because of its ability to inhibit the activity of MAO-B. MAO-B has been shown to oxidize the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine and phenylethylamine.
These neurotransmitters are responsible for memory,
movement, co-ordination and sex drive, and these are all functions that decline dramatically in Alzheimer patients as in Parkinson’s disease patients.
Since Deprenyl at 10mg daily has been shown to reduce the MAO-B oxidation of these neurotransmitters by 90%, it is thought that treating Alzheimer patients with Deprenyl will improve their memory and behaviour by increasing the availability of these neurotransmitters, and perhaps slow down the brain degeneration.
The earliest studies in 1987, at the Ntional Institute of Mental Health, treated 17 moderately impaired Alzheimer patients with either a placebo, or 10mg of Deprenyl daily for 28 days, or 40mg of Deprenyl for 35 days. Two patients at 40 mg daily suffered from hypertension, but there were no other serious side effects for the other patients.
The scientists concluded “significant changes for the better in behaviour, cognitive function, and neuroendocrine function compared to placebo when the patients received 10mg per day of Deprenyl, and lesser beneficial changes (with greater side effects), when the patients received 40mg per day of Deprenyl.” There were decreases in anxiety, depression, physical tension, agitation and hostility and increases in verbal communication, positive feelings about life and
greater participation in social activities.
More recent studies conducted at the Perugia University Italy treated 20 Alzheimer patients with mild to moderate Alzheimers for a 3 month period. The scientists concluded:
“Statistically significant improvements when the patients were
given Deprenyl in word fluency, digit span, long term spatial memory,
letter cancellation, picture cancellation, copy drawing, verbal memory
and concentration… Deprenyl represents an efficacious, well tolerated
and therefore reliable treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.”
Further studies at the University of Milan in 1991 with 117 patients receiving 10mg of Deprenyl or a placebo, for a 3 month period concluded:
“Deprenyl treated patients improved their performance, while
that of the placebo treated group worsened… Deprenyl seems to be an
effective treatment for patients with Alzheimer’s disease.”
Conclusions for Use in Alzheimer’s Disease
Although more research needs to be conducted to further explore the use of Deprenyl in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, there are some good reasons why deprenyl should be seriously considered.
(A) The findings of three controlled placebo studies, show that Deprenyl at 10mg daily is effective in improving the memory and behaviour of Alzheimer patients.
(B) The safety Deprenyl at 10mg daily has been established, with thousands of Parkinson’s disease patients who have been taking the drug for years.
© That Alzheimer patients are likely to benefit from the anti- Parkinson disease and anti-aging benefits of Deprenyl.
(D) That Deprenyl in combination with other drugs andsupplements provides synergistic effects (improved benefits) and maybe more effective in improving memory in Alzheimer patients than any other therapy currently available.
Slowing the Aging Process
Parkinson’s disease seems to be a form of accelerated aging, caused by the action of 6-OHDA. All elderly people suffer from symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, such as loss of co-ordination, shuffling and diminution of sex drive. This is because the exact same neurons that are destroyed in Parkinsons disease are also the same destroyed in normal aging, they just diminish at a slower rate. It is not until 80% of these neurons have diminished that the symptoms of
Parkinson’s disease are generally diagnosed.
The findings suggest that long term usage of deprenyl can slow down the aging process itself, a conclusion arrived at over 20 years ago by the Hungarian pharmacologist Joseph Knoll, who developed Deprenyl in 1965.
Figure above shows the age related decline of dopamine at 12% per decade past the age of 40, (Dean, Fowkes and Morgenthaler). Doctor Knoll’s study included 24 month old rats (65 years in human terms). They were given injections 3 times a week of a 0.25mg/ kg of Deprenyl, whilst the control animals received saline injections. The injections were continued until the animals died.
The degree of life span reported by Doctor Knoll is unprecedented for a clinically available therapy. The rats lived to an age equivalent in human terms of 150 years! It appears that deprenyl therapy slows down aging in a dramatic
fashion. Such an increase in life span could be the most important break
through in the history of medicine. Doctor Knoll’s efforts could have been simply dismissed out of hand, were it not for further evidence. More recent studies have been under taken by the Univeristy of Toronto Scientists at the University of Toronto in 1989, tried to duplicate Doctor Knoll’s efforts in another strain of rats. In the first experiment, 62 animals, 24 to 25 months of age were assigned to random groups, with the animals receiving 3 injections each week of a solution of 0.25% Deprenyl. The remainder of the animals received saline injections.
Results of the Study
The major findings of the study was that the Deprenyl group survived significantly longer than the control group. The average survival time of the Deprenyl group was 133.7 days and the average survival time of the control group was 114.7 days. The average maximum survival time of the Deprenyl group was 248.4 days compared to 212.1 days in the control group.
One animal in the deprenyl group survived 315 days and the longest span for the control group was 251 days. During autopsies no specific factors were attributable to death.
The conclusion of the study was that Deprenyl delayed the
aging of organs and that the Deprenyl treated animals were healthier
than the control animals.
Comparisons
Although the Toronto study produced a smaller increase in the life span of Deprenyl treated animals, than doctor Knoll’s, there were a number of other factors, which included the types, ages and weights of rats that were different between the two studies. The Toronto scientists accepted the validity of Doctor Knoll’s findings.
Doctor Knoll is now 75 years old and he takes Deprenyl
regularly and recommends that anyone over the age of 45 take it. As
he points out, the brains output of dopamine declines 13% per decade
after the age of 45 and Deprenyl is needed to protect the brains
dopamine producing brain cells from destruction.
Dosages and Side Effects
Doctor Knoll recommends taking 1 (5mg) tablet of Deprenyl three times a week. Some life extensionists recommend taking 5mg of Deprenyl daily, with an occasional break. It should be noted that no one except those suffering from Parkinson’s disease should exceed these dosage levels.
For treatment of Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s diseae, the dosage of 10mg daily appears to be not only the most effective level, but also the most side effect free level. There is evidence that Deprenyl is less effective and can produce undesirable eside effects at higher dosages. But Deprenyl is remarkably safe and effective at lower dosages. Trade names include Eldepryl , Selegiline and Jumex.
Update
The very latest evidence about Deprenyl use as a longevity/anti-aging product, is to maintain “recommended” dosages for a few months and then to reduce those dosages to approximately one third to one half.
Animal experiments show us that it is those who take low regular dosages of Deprenyl that are likely to live longer than those who take higher dosages of Deprenyl over the same period. As a result an easy to use low dosage is favourable in such circumstances. Product SKU Price Type Weight

Ingredients

Prescription Needed

Discreet Mail

Deprenyl Tablets (Jumex) DEPRE-1-IAS $49.99* Tablets 50 x 5mg

Deprenyl Ingredients

N

N

Deprenyl Liquid (Cyprenil) DEPRE-2-IAS
$74.99* Tablets 12ml / 300mg bottle

Deprenyl Ingredients

N

Y

Deprenyl Liquid (Selepryl) DEPRE-3-IAS $69.99* Liquid 12ml/300mg

Deprenyl Ingredients

N

Y

*** All Prices are subject to change based on the latest prices from IAS.

"There's no question that my tinnitus has subsided whilst using the vinpocetine, but it's more than that I do feel better." F.H.G., Te

Deprenyl
(1) Birkmayer J: “Neurol Transmisson” 64 113-127 1985
(2) “New England Journal of Medicine” 321 1364-1371 1989.
(3) Langston W: “Science” 245 519 1989.
(4) University of Toronto “Life Sciences” 47 415-420 1990.
(1) “Progress in Neuro psychopharmacology. Biology and
Psychiatry” 10; 537-540 1982.
(2) “Archives of General Psychiatry” vol 44 427-433 May 1987.
(3) “Clinical Neuropharmacology” Vol 13 No2 157-163 1990.
(4) “European Neurology” 31 100-107 1991.
(5) Dean W, “Multi functional deprenyl” anti-Aging Bulletin,
Volume 3 issue 1, March 1997, International Anti-Aging
Systems.
(6) Knoll J, “Deprenyl and related substances, a strategy to slow
aging of the mammalian brain.” 1st Monte Carlo anti-Aging
conference, June 2000.
Deprenyl Article

#26 renfr

renfr
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

I want to bring this thread:
http://www.longecity...post__p__567971
to everyones attention as I think the info about taking Deprenyl/Selegiline sublingually or dermally only is very important?

Jadamgo:
"Taking selegiline the usual way (swallowing the pills) is frowned upon because most of the selegiline is converted to amphetamine metabolites, which aren't particularly toxic, but also aren't particularly helpful for the sorts of problems people want to use selegiline for.

Taking it sublingually or via the EMSAM patch is not frowned upon by most people who seriously understand the differences between sublingual/dermal selegiline and oral selegiline.

As for rasagiline, it is incapable of treating depression by itself. It's an okay treatment for Parkinson's disease, and perhaps general life extension, and likely has some mild nootropic effects. If you can afford the higher price of rasagiline over selegiline and just want a general life-extender/nootropic, then by all means, get rasagiline! It's far more convenient because you don't have to spend 10 minutes letting it dissolve under your tongue to use it safely. For those people wanting mood boosts, or who can't afford rasagiline, taking selegiline under the tongue is fine."

I guess you'd have to take a much lower amount as for sublingual use right?
MAOI inhibition would be much higher and it could be dangerous, any idea of a safe sublingual dose?

#27 xEva

xEva
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Your enthusiasm about a new drug is unwarranted, especially when a well-known and well-tested alternative is available. It's much wiser to wait it out, for a few years at least, and see what side effects may start popping up in chronic users.

#28 pleb

pleb
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

i can understand your concern x EVA although i must admit i'm not worried if its new or old, but i am when it costs 5 or 6 times or even more, cost does come into it for many if they are taking a number of supplements and on a limited income,

Edited by pleb, 27 February 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#29 renfr

renfr
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

i can understand your concern x EVA although i must admit i'm not worried if its new or old, but i am when it costs 5 or 6 times or even more, cost does come into it for many if they are taking a number of supplements and on a limited income,

indeed, for the moment rasagiline is not interesting enough due to high price and because it's not as well studied as selegiline. in a few years market prices will drop and we'll be able to get some of it at a cheap price.
Selegiline upregulation of SOD in the striatum is probably the reason why it increases longevity.
115 years is probably underestimated and it could be more remember people who currently have parkinson's and alzheimer's are coming from another generation where the world wasn't that developed, less health services, less knowledge in medicine, probably more oxidation due to working conditions, unhealthy diet (in Europe) etc...
Heart disease and cancer were 20th century main killers, today they're still among the top death causes but it's getting better. However the top killer today is big pharma with their outdated medicine which have very dangerous consequences on the long term, just to name a few antipsychotics, benzos, fluoroquinolones, statins, ...
There are by the way some papers linking the rise of parkinson's with the use of antipsychotics, antipsychotics for instance shrinks the brain (litteraly!).

#30 ta5

ta5
  • 952 posts
Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I plan to try Rasagiline.

I tried selegiline in two different liquid forms and a tablet form at many different doses over almost a year. It always made me feel strange in a negative way. I tried as much as 2mg/day and as low as 1/50 mg per day. That was one drop of 1mg liquid deprenyl in 49 drops of water. I took 1 drop sublingually per day. At the lower doses it would take a couple weeks or so to build up but, it still made me feel strange. I know people here will think it I was crazy because that is such a ridiculously low dose. I couldn't believe it either. In any case, I didn't find a dose that had anything I would describe as a beneficial effect. I would have kept taking it without any noticeable effect solely for the protective benefits, but I couldn't even find a low enough dose for that.

So, that's why I'm very interested to see what Rasagiline is like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deprenyl, nigral, lifespan, deprenyl protects neuron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users