• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

NSAIDs promote 25% to 50% more muscle growth in older adults?

nsaid exercise

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

This small study found that ibuprofen or acetaminophen improved muscle growth by 25% to 50% in older (64 year old) adults.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23220477
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013 Feb;304(3):R198-205. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00245.2012. Epub 2012 Dec 5.
Prostaglandin and myokine involvement in the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting drug enhancement of skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in older adults.
Trappe TA, Standley RA, Jemiolo B, Carroll CC, Trappe SW.
Source Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State Univ., Muncie, IN. USA. ttrappe@bsu.edu
Abstract
Twelve weeks of resistance training (3 days/wk) combined with daily consumption of the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting drugs acetaminophen (4.0 g/day; n = 11, 64 ± 1 yr) or ibuprofen (1.2 g/day; n = 13, 64 ± 1 yr) unexpectedly promoted muscle mass and strength gains 25-50% above placebo (n = 12, 67 ± 2 yr). To investigate the mechanism of this adaptation, muscle biopsies obtained before and ∼72 h after the last training bout were analyzed for mRNA levels of prostaglandin (PG)/cyclooxygenase pathway enzymes and receptors [arachidonic acid synthesis: cytosolic phospholipase A(2) (cPLA(2)) and secreted phospholipase A(2) (sPLA(2)); PGF(2α) synthesis: PGF(2α) synthase and PGE(2) to PGF(2α) reductase; PGE(2) synthesis: PGE(2) synthase-1, -2, and -3; PGF(2α) receptor and PGE(2) receptor-4], cytokines and myokines involved in skeletal muscle adaptation (TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10), and regulators of muscle growth [myogenin, myogenic regulatory factor-4 (MRF4), myostatin] and atrophy [Forkhead box O3A (FOXO3A), atrogin-1, muscle RING finger protein 1 (MuRF-1), inhibitory κB kinase β (IKKβ)]. Training increased (P < 0.05) cPLA(2), PGF(2α) synthase, PGE(2) to PGF(2α) reductase, PGE(2) receptor-4, TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-8, and IKKβ. However, the PGF(2α) receptor was upregulated (P < 0.05) only in the drug groups, and the placebo group upregulation (P < 0.05) of IL-6, IL-10, and MuRF-1 was eliminated in both drug groups. These results highlight prostaglandin and myokine involvement in the adaptive response to exercise in older individuals and suggest two mechanisms underlying the enhanced muscle mass gains in the drug groups: 1) The drug-induced PGF(2α) receptor upregulation helped offset the drug suppression of PGF(2α)-stimulated protein synthesis after each exercise bout and enhanced skeletal muscle sensitivity to this stimulation. 2) The drug-induced suppression of intramuscular PGE(2) production increased net muscle protein balance after each exercise bout through a reduction in PGE(2)-induced IL-6 and MuRF-1, both promoters of muscle loss.

But these studies found the opposite, in 24 or 25 year old adults. So is the above study flawed, or are they both right, but for each age group?

http://ajpendo.physi...282/3/E551.full
http://jcem.endojour...86/10/5067.long

Edited by smithx, 01 April 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Odd, I remember reading a study on the bodybuilding.com forums that anti inflammatory actually limit muscle growth by reducing the post workout anabolic response, I will have to try to find it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Odd, I remember reading a study on the bodybuilding.com forums that anti inflammatory actually limit muscle growth by reducing the post workout anabolic response, I will have to try to find it.

That's still a hypothesis that has never been proved.

This article summarizes some of the research:

http://www.t-nation....r_muscle_growth

...several recent studies have investigated the long-term effects of NSAID administration on muscle growth in humans. None of these studies found a negative effect on muscle hypertrophy (8, 14, 20).

8. Krentz, JR, Quest, B, Farthing, JP, Quest, DW, and Chilibeck, PD. The effects of ibuprofen on muscle hypertrophy, strength, and soreness during resistance training. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 33: 470-475, 2008.

14. Petersen, SG, Beyer, N, Hansen, M, Holm, L, Aagaard, P, Mackey, AL, and Kjaer, M. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug or glucosamine reduced pain and improved muscle strength with resistance training in a randomized controlled trial of knee osteoarthritis patients. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 92: 1185-1193, 2011.

20. Trappe, TA, Carroll, CC, Dickinson, JM, LeMoine, JK, Haus, JM, Sullivan, BE, Lee, JD, Jemiolo, B, Weinheimer, EM, and Hollon, CJ. Influence of acetaminophen and ibuprofen on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in older adults. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 300: R655-62, 2011.

Edited by viveutvivas, 01 April 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#4 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

http://www.ergo-log.com/ibuprofen.html

http://www.ergo-log....enanabolic.html

http://www.ergo-log....eibuprofen.html

#5 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

I didn't look at the studies in detail, but perhaps the NSAIDs simply reduced joint/muscle pain and enabled the older group to work their muscles harder?

#6 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

I didn't look at the studies in detail, but perhaps the NSAIDs simply reduced joint/muscle pain and enabled the older group to work their muscles harder?

Perhaps you should of looked...

"Chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training appears to have induced intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise", says researcher Todd Trappe in a press release. [Ball State University 4/7/2008] "This allows the body to add substantially more new protein to muscle."....
The painkillers tested reduce the activity of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX) in the muscles. The production of this enzyme increases after muscles have been subjected to physical effort. Reducing the enzyme’s action in young people appears to reduce muscle building as well, but in the elderly it actually strengthens the growth stimulus. But why this is so, the researchers don't know.

"The increase in ED2+ macrophage concentration and decrease in necrosis may be mechanistically related because ED2+ macrophages have been associated with muscle regeneration and repair", the researchers write

Older athletes should be able to boost their testosterone level temporarily by taking ibuprofen. Certainly if they take it after training, when the muscle cells are sucking anabolic hormones out of the bloodstream, ibuprofen might have an ergogenic effect.

#7 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, but what you quoted is largely speculative and I don't see that they controlled for possible differences in the actual amount of physical activity performed. If they did then I will stand corrected.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#8 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, but what you quoted is largely speculative and I don't see that they controlled for possible differences in the actual amount of physical activity performed. If they did then I will stand corrected.

Really? What more do you want?

One group took placebos; another took ibuprofen and the third group took acetaminophen. The subjects took the manufacturers’ recommended doses. The table below shows the effect of the painkillers on the subjects’ progress.

Placebo
Ibuprofen
1.2 g per day

Acetaminophen
4 g per day

Quadriceps muscle volume
+9 percent
+11 percent
+13 percent
Muscle strength
+23 percent
+30 percent
+28 percent

Edited by Hebbeh, 02 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

• like x 1

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

4g of acetaminophen a day is just screaming for chronic toxicity. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone ever ...unless I was trying to kill them.
  • like x 2

#10 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

One group took placebos; another took ibuprofen and the third group took acetaminophen. The subjects took the manufacturers’ recommended doses. The table below shows the effect of the painkillers on the subjects’ progress.

Placebo
Ibuprofen
1.2 g per day

Acetaminophen
4 g per day

Quadriceps muscle volume
+9 percent
+11 percent
+13 percent
Muscle strength
+23 percent
+30 percent
+28 percent

That doesn't answer his question.

#11 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

One group took placebos; another took ibuprofen and the third group took acetaminophen. The subjects took the manufacturers' recommended doses. The table below shows the effect of the painkillers on the subjects' progress.

Placebo
Ibuprofen
1.2 g per day

Acetaminophen
4 g per day

Quadriceps muscle volume
+9 percent
+11 percent
+13 percent
Muscle strength
+23 percent
+30 percent
+28 percent

That doesn't answer his question.

And he didn't bother to look at the studies. Did you? Are you implying it is as simple as doing a few more reps due to a perceived lack of discomfort?

#12 moleface

• 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I was always told that acetaminophen has negligible antiinflammatory effects, so it seems that there must be some other factor at play here besides inhibition of the post-workout inflammatory response.

#13 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Are you implying it is as simple as doing a few more reps due to a perceived lack of discomfort?

Could be. It seems reasonable that less pain translates to a harder workout, and a harder workout translates to more muscle gain, even if cyclooxygenase is suppressed.

#14 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Are you implying it is as simple as doing a few more reps due to a perceived lack of discomfort?

Could be. It seems reasonable that less pain translates to a harder workout, and a harder workout translates to more muscle gain, even if cyclooxygenase is suppressed.

That may certainly contribute. In principle your hypothesis should be testable by comparing an NSAID to a purely nerve-actuating pain modifier, but I am not sure if such a thing exists. Maybe certain SSRIs/SNRIs or tricyclics. Opioids wouldn't be good for such an experiment because they suppress anabolic hormones.

#15 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

interesting research. recently i have started taking turmeric twice daily. do you think there would be any reason not to take it post workout? has there ever been a consensus on if antioxidants/anti-inflammatory reduce growth in response to stress? I have read in a few places that high doses of vitamin c should be avoided post workout. resveratrol also seems to hinder muscle recovery

i'll probably try it anyway- a study showed "the effect of curcumin during the atrophic phase on proteasome activities may facilitate the initiation of muscle recovery after reloading."

Edited by Adaptogen, 09 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 YOLF

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

That sounds about right, I was taking otc pain relievers after workouts at one point and my gains stopped. I wasn't getting anywhere.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nsaid, exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users