• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Serotonin essential for physical exercise-induced hippocampal neurogenesis in mice

serotonin

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theblob

• 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

New press release

More on brainupdates.com (see: Serotonin essential for physical exercise-induced hippocampal neurogenesis in mice)

/ Here I think that one might use Serotonin enhancers while doing physical exercise in order to improve neurogenesis. What do you think ?

See this pic too:

Posted Image

Here's sciencedaily partial reprint: May 13, 2013

/////

Mice that exercise in running wheels exhibit increased neurogenesis in the brain. Crucial to this process is serotonin signaling. These are the findings of a study by Dr. Friederike Klempin, Daniel Beis and Dr. Natalia Alenina from the research group led by Professor Michael Bader at the Max Delbrück Center (MDC) Berlin-Buch. Surprisingly, mice lacking brain serotonin due to a genetic mutation exhibited normal baseline neurogenesis. However, in these serotonin-deficient mice, activity-induced proliferation was impaired, and wheel running did not induce increased generation of new neurons.

Scientists have known for some time that exercise induces neurogenesis in a specific brain region, the hippocampus. However, until this study, the underlying mechanism was not fully understood. The hippocampus plays an important role in learning and in memory and is one of the brain regions where new neurons are generated throughout life.

Serotonin facilitates precursor cell maturation
The researchers demonstrated that mice with the ability to produce serotonin are likely to release more of this hormone during exercise, which in turn increases cell proliferation of precursor cells in the hippocampus. Furthermore, serotonin seems to facilitate the transition of stem to progenitor cells that become neurons in the adult mouse brain.
For Dr. Klempin and Dr. Alenina it was surprising that normal baseline neurogenesis occurs in mice that, due to a genetic mutation, cannot produce serotonin in the brain. However, they noted that some of the stem cells in serotonin-deficient mice either die or fail to become neurons.
Yet, these animals seem to have a mechanism that allows compensation for the deficit, in that progenitor cells, an intermediate stage in the development from a stem cell to a neuron, divide more frequently. According to the researchers, this is to maintain the pool of these cells.
However, the group of wheel-running mice that do not produce serotonin did not exhibit an exercise-induced increase in neurogenesis. The compensatory mechanism failed following running. The researchers concluded: "Serotonin is not necessarily required for baseline generation of new neurons in the adult brain, but is essential for exercise-induced hippocampal neurogenesis."
Hope for new approaches to treat depression and memory loss in the elderly
Deficiency in serotonin, popularly known as the "molecule of happiness," has been considered in the context of theories linking major depression to declining neurogenesis in the adult brain. "Our findings could potentially help to develop new approaches to prevent and treat depression as well as age-related decline in learning and memory," said Dr. Klempin and Dr. Alenina.

(I CAN'T POST SOURCE LINKS FOR the time being Because I have not reach the longecity 10 posts threshold)

Edited by theblob, 14 May 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#2 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

It's hard to see how they got to inferring all that from their results.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I agree their conclusions to me are a clear cause of assuming correlation equals causation.

Serotonin as a whole appears to be a compound that has negative influences on areas like the heart and blood vessels. It seems to be a compound where you want just enough to be sane but not much more.

Also, these researchers are assuming depression is linked to serotonin deficiencies, this may be only partly true. Many cases of depression can be traced to dopamine and or choline issues.

#4 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

I know that a few weeks ago I took a 100mg time-release 5-HTP tablet about an hour or so before a workout, and it really sabotaged things. Now matter how hard I tried, it seemed as if I could go "100 %," but it was instead stuck at 85-90%.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

No wonder, it lowers dopamine, and catecholamines in the process. Exactly what happens when you overtrain your CNS. You go as hard as you can, but you simply can't activate your muscles as strong anymore...
I've had that problem for years, until I found out that I can train 100% again if I simply keep my catecholamines high.

Also serotonin enhanced neurogenesis can kiss my *** since it didn't do me any good (chronic high serotonin for 7 years). If serotonin enhanced neurogenesis is so wonderful, why was I left with less mental capability after quitting - for months? Why did I struggle while still on it, even though i tried hard to balance it with dopamine?

i have yet to see ANYONE who had better memory through higher serotonin levels, or enhanced mental capabilities that go beyond "I function better because I am calmer" which is nothing but the sedating effect of serotonin.

In fact serotonin reconfigures the brain, but not in a good way. Its not like the whole brain grows, just some isolated areas do. And I have yet to see any benefit from that supposedly beneficial growth.

Thank god I was able to get myself together again, not because of high serotonin levels, but even though I had chronically high serotonin levels.

But I have to admit I benefited greatly at the beginning from high serotonin levels, since my chronic depression was gone, and my confidence up big time, and anxiety down. But if I'd known at that time that I could eliminate my depression through raising catecholamines, and eliminate a whole bunch of other problem that way too, I would have gone the catecholamine route right away.

Edited by BioFreak, 14 May 2013 - 10:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serotonin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users