• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does skipping breakfast count as fasting?

fasting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

The primary benefit of fasting is decreases IGF-I. And sleep counts as fasting.

So.. what if one simply skipped breakfast and delayed lunch to the afternoon?

#2 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Some people call it intermittent fasting or LeanGains, as if it is a new invention. Funny.

#3 Pour_la_Science

• 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think all the studies talking about intermittent fasting refer to -at least- 24 hours of fasting.

#4 lazarian

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'd say anything under 24 hours doesn't really count.

#5 Teakles

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Skipping your breakfast - is just skipping your brekfast - not fasting

#6 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

lol 24h is not a real fast either. Instead it's called, 'I had a busy day'. Here is how:

Overslept and was late for work -- had no time for a breakfast. At work had to catch up with a tonne of stuff -- no lunch for me! Then the boss asked me, real nice, to work overtime. Came home late and was so tired -- went straight to bed.

#7 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

AFAIK, skipping breakfast is a good predictor of cardiovascular disease (skipping breakfast --> higher chance of stroke, higher blood pressure etc.).

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

AFAIK, skipping breakfast is a good predictor of cardiovascular disease (skipping breakfast --> higher chance of stroke, higher blood pressure etc.).

That might have more to do with the kind of people who skip breakfast (harried, stressed out) rather than the effect of meal skipping. Might it actually be better to skip dinner? Someone must have looked at this. Along with looking at the biochemistry, it's good to approach questions like this from an evolutionary perspective- What did Homo Erectus do? Something tells me they weren't always getting three squares a day.

#9 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes but this doesn't mean it wouldn't be better for paleolithical men to eat regular meals. It's an empirical question.

#10 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Google LeanGains. That kid seems to have made a bit of a "science" out of skipping breakfast for good results, combined with weight training.

The truth is that the importance of breakfast is overrated in the popular press. Waiting until noon to break the fast works well for many people, including myself. I am already very lean but I lose any bit of extra body fat quickly when I do that.

That's likely true for the kind of people who skip breakfast then overeat later. Unlikely to be applicable to the type of disciplined individual on these forums.

Edited by nowayout, 22 July 2013 - 08:01 AM.

• like x 1

#11 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

That's likely true for the kind of people who skip breakfast then overeat later. Unlikely to be applicable to the type of disciplined individual on these forums.

There's a new study by the American heart association adjusting for BMI, smoking, diet quality and total meals. Skipping breakfast still comes out bad: http://www.scienceda...30722202818.htm

FYI, I currently skip breakfast as well.

#12 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

There are some caveats of the study to be found here: http://www.nbcnews.c...mple-6C10710530

Also, *published in the American heart association journal.

#13 hasen

• 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:36 AM

Well breakfast by its very nature is 'breaking a fast', that's why its called 'break fast'. So if you don't eat breakfast then you're delaying the break of the fast. It may not be 24 hours but its still a fast, albeit a bit short.

There are some caveats of the study to be found here: http://www.nbcnews.c...mple-6C10710530

Also, *published in the American heart association journal.

This study is a bit odd. It says:

"The men who reported not eating breakfast were younger than those who did, and were more likely to be smokers, employed full time, unmarried, less physically active and drank more alcohol."

So is it really to do with the skipping breakfast or the fact they smoke and drink a lot and don't exercise??

Edited by hasen, 02 October 2015 - 02:40 AM.

#14 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:02 AM

Intermittent fasting is at least 12 hours of fasting

#15 hasen

• 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 03:10 AM

Intermittent fasting is at least 12 hours of fasting

But intermittent fasting is supposed to be different from a normal eating pattern. I've recently became interested in fasting but prior to that I never considered myself to be fasting but my usual eating pattern was to eat my last meal of the day ie dinner at between 5-7pm and then I would eat breakfast the following day between 8-10am. That's already between 13-17 hours. Surely you have to at least take it to lunch time to consider it anything other than a normal fast that anyone undertakes while they sleep.  

Even if you eat a bit later 7-8pm and then in the morning you eat earlier at 7-8am its still a 12 hour fast. I think if you're doing a 12 hour fast every day its hardly worth mentioning it to anyone since so many other people must be already doing at least that in their normal diet routine.

Edited by hasen, 02 October 2015 - 03:11 AM.

• Agree x 1

#16 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

Considering I'm not really into the whole CR lifestyle (I lift weights, CR and building muscle do not go hand in hand alas), I try to mimic it to a certain extent by doing IF for 18-20 hours, hoping it'll lead to some benefit. Been doing this for 2 years now, loving it.

#17 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

Considering I'm not really into the whole CR lifestyle (I lift weights, CR and building muscle do not go hand in hand alas), I try to mimic it to a certain extent by doing IF for 18-20 hours, hoping it'll lead to some benefit. Been doing this for 2 years now, loving it.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't find my way with the CR lifestyle, either. I tried for three years, but I just lost too much weight. I'm tall, and was seriously too thin and tired of gentle people kindly taking me aside, whispering oh I'm sorry about your cancer. I'm also a performer, and just couldn't find strength to perform our crazy acro routines, plus I looked horrid. Weak and pathetic. There's gotta be a better way to increase healthy longevity than 20% CR. Or whatever. Currently I'm on day four of a five day fast, and I'm weak and struggling. Modern society makes it so hard to be a freak. But I suppose it's better today to be wildly eccentric (a longevity adherent) than at any other time in history?

#18 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Many people find it has little effect and most of the posts in this thread are along those lines.

However some diabetics, usually children, can't cope with a fast even as short as 12 hours and have to take slow release calories when they go to bed.  People with metabolic disorder too may find an overnight fast without breakfast to be so long that it causes their symptoms.

The name breakfast itself tells you it breaks a fast.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users