• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Reversing arterial plaque

artery cardiovascular disease lipids matrix gla protein vitamin k2 mk4 vitamin k2 mk7 xanthohumol plaque

• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#451 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:35 AM

Getting back to the topic at hand, an anecdotal report:

- My grandfather and father both died of heart attacks

- In my father's case it was due to an almost 100% coronary artery blockage (calcification)

- I am only 5 years younger than the age at which my grandfather died

- I have been taking Vitamin K-2 (4) 5mg / day for about 3 years

- I also take Vitamin D25 5000 IU most days, and 400mg of Magnesium (citrate).

- I had a calcium score in 2017 via electron beam tomography. It found 0% calcium in my coronary arteries (or anywhere).

- I had a chest CT scan 2 weeks ago (for an unrelated matter, thankfully negative), and they reported on my coronary artery as being "no evidence of calcification"

So a bit more anecdotal, evidence for K-2 (4) and Vitamin D. And maybe Magnesium.

May I ask your age sir? Those results are great. 

#452 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:55 AM

Plaque forms in each of as, given only enough advanced age, or enough toxic exposures at early ages, as response to a damaged endothelium. Though it might seem hereditary, maybe you haven't had the same toxic exposures like your forefathers, and therefore no plaque to begin with. So not even anecdotal.

Please everyone understand how important it is to get it tested, only that way any intervention can be verified. Please don't waste an other 6 years, as this thread is already running, without any testing. Do yourself a favor.

What type of Toxic exposure are you referring to? Have you asked Smithx if he has been exposed specifically to those? 

Check out this article for more on preventing Endothelial Dysfunction using Vitamin C.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10924860

Edited by TheFountain, 14 July 2019 - 04:55 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#453 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:49 AM

May I ask your age sir? Those results are great. 

A bit over 60 now.

#454 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

Plaque forms in each of as, given only enough advanced age, or enough toxic exposures at early ages, as response to a damaged endothelium. Though it might seem hereditary, maybe you haven't had the same toxic exposures like your forefathers, and therefore no plaque to begin with. So not even anecdotal.

Please everyone understand how important it is to get it tested, only that way any intervention can be verified. Please don't waste an other 6 years, as this thread is already running, without any testing. Do yourself a favor.

What type of Toxic exposure are you referring to? Have you asked Smithx if he has been exposed specifically to those? 

Check out this article for more on preventing Endothelial Dysfunction using Vitamin C.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/10924860

Most wouldn't even know until becoming obvious. It was not about Smiths (and therefore would unlikely know), but his forefathers could have had more heavy metals from the mothers womb, occupational exposures, from food, water and air-quality, medical exposures. Smoking and drinking (still common in older days).

But the point actually made was: only testing plaque in one-self before any intervention would show if the intervention has been successful. One can't automatically conclude because forefathers died of plaque at early age, one would have the same plaque burden. And therefore with a zero score after the intervention, it to have worked. Not even anecdotally.

• Agree x 1

#455 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:03 AM

A bit over 60 now.

And so your recent tests indicate amazing health at your semi-advanced age. Congratulations sir. 

A bit over 60 now.

What is your diet like, for how long? How much fat or carbs do you consume? Also, what is your ethnical background?

#456 Andey

• 673 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:26 AM

And so your recent tests indicate amazing health at your semi-advanced age. Congratulations sir. 

What is your diet like, for how long? How much fat or carbs do you consume? Also, what is your ethnical background?

I believe its at 40th percentile for the age (assuming white ethnicity), so.... amazing looks like a bit of a exaggeration. Hopefully smithx will continue to maintain it to the 80ies and beyond, that would be amazing )

People with CAC score done could check their risk at

https://www.mesa-nhl...rterialAge.aspx

Edited by Andey, 15 July 2019 - 06:26 AM.

#457 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

Not sure how amazing but:

- Diet is mostly low carb except when I become weak or give in to my wife's proclivities (she loves pasta, rice, bread, etc.)

- Lots of fat, nuts and cheese

- Ethnic isn't that germane perhaps, but I can mention that I'm APOE3 + APOE4 which is thought of as not ideal

I have other health issues though.

Edited by smithx, 15 July 2019 - 03:24 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#458 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

- Diet is mostly low carb except when I become weak or give in to my wife's proclivities (she loves pasta, rice, bread, etc.)
- Ethnic isn't that germane perhaps, but I can mention that I'm APOE3 + APOE4 which is thought of as not ideal

Which brands of vitamin K2 or D25 do you take, may I ask? I hope you keep the calcium score low as it is for long.

#459 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:40 AM

I didn't ask Ethnicity for political purposes but for genetic background purposes. 

Good scope. 

#460 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:52 AM

A bit over 60 now.

I also wanted to ask you the totality of your supplement regimen. I would like to follow your example as I am now 34 and as I get older, would like to do al the right things. 

A bit over 60 now.

I also wanted to ask you the totality of your supplement regimen. I would like to follow your example as I am now 34 and as I get older, would like to do al the right things. 

#461 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

I've posted on reversing arterial plaque on this forum going back to last decade. The treatment hasn't changed:

Supplements:
o 5mg daily of vit K2 (MK-4)

o pomegranate extract with high punicalagins content
o vit D3 (at least 6000 IU daily)

o magnesium citrate (300 elemental daily -- do not use the oxide form, any other form is fine)

o 100mg resveratrol daily

o 3-6 high quality fish oil daily (with high DHA content)

Dietary-wise:
o Avoid grains (due to high carb content, and high lectin content)
o Avoid sugar and other high-carb foods, in order to reduce VLDL and reduce triglycerides

o Avoid seed oils (or ANY oil with a polyunsaturated fatty acid content of higher than 10%)

Goals:
o Reduce your VLDL
o Reduce your triglycerides

o Reduce your A1c
o Reduce your C-Reactive Protein (inflammation level)
o The D3 and K2 work to redistribute calcium deposits from your arteries to your bones

o Pomegranate and resveratrol boost nitric oxide with the blood vessels, reducing stiffness
o In general, the idea is to greatly reduce inflammation and let the body heal itself. Contrary to the belief of most doctors, arterial plaque CAN be reduced. My father had GREAT success with this back in 2003, as have many others I know since that time.

Edited by DukeNukem, 16 July 2019 - 06:10 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#462 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

@DukeNukem re: post 461.

How do changes in calcium score, carotid ultrasound, cholesterol levels, triglycerides, angiogram, or any other biomarker tests related to arterial health that you might have had undergone in the last decade, compare with tests that you may have undergone recently? I ask because although scientific studies may indicate arterial benefits for the various supplements and strategies that you list, a more interesting question is: Have the treatments you mentioned in post 461 worked for you personally in terms of measurable positive change?

"To measure is to know"--Lord Kelvin

#463 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

I've posted on reversing arterial plaque on this forum going back to last decade. The treatment hasn't changed:

Supplements:
o 5mg daily of vit K2 (MK-4)

Hey Duke, 

One question, why MK4 and Not Mk7? I thought the latter was the one shown in cardiovascular studies to have the best results?

#464 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

I'd replace magnesium citrate with magnesium orotate when it comes to cardiovascular health.

• Needs references x 1

#465 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

Which brands of vitamin K2 or D25 do you take, may I ask? I hope you keep the calcium score low as it is for long.

For D25 I feel they are all generic. For K2 there aren't as many choices in higher doses. I take Carlsen K2 5mg capsules once a day.

MK4 is the more studied and seemingly more effective version, despite its shorter half life.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#466 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

For D25 I feel they are all generic. For K2 there aren't as many choices in higher doses. I take Carlsen K2 5mg capsules once a day.

MK4 is the more studied and seemingly more effective version, despite its shorter half life.

I read a study stating that MK7 is the one that effected Cardiovascular outcome. And MK4 Was the one effecting bone density studies. 

• Needs references x 2

#467 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

How much D3 do you take with it?

#468 mikey

• Topic Starter
  • 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3

#469 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

Thank you
  • Needs references x 1

#470 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

I started taking a supplement that has all three types of Vitamin K, K1 and Menaquinone 4 and 7. Before I was just taking Mk7 but I think there are benefits to all 3 forms. 

• Needs references x 1

#471 classicstrat

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:50 PM

Life Extension super k elite has K1, MK-4, MK-6, MK-7 and MK-9

I started taking a supplement that has all three types of Vitamin K, K1 and Menaquinone 4 and 7. Before I was just taking Mk7 but I think there are benefits to all 3 forms.

#472 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:07 AM

I was asked for references, and so far haven't located the study which showed MK4 but not MK7 affecting coronary artery calcification. However I did come across this study, which found that Mk4 deficiency predicted aortic calcification, but Mk7 deficiency predicted iliac calcification.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22692665

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#473 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Life Extension super k elite has K1, MK-4, MK-6, MK-7 and MK-9

If an individual is already consuming a ton of k1 in the way of large amounts of daily dark leafy greens, is extra K1 via this sort of supplement undesirable? I'd love to tack some of that mk-6 and mk-9 to my mk-stack.

Edited by brosci, 20 July 2019 - 07:09 AM.

#474 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

What do you think of Koncentrated K? I have started taking first bottle from them.

https://www.k-vitamins.com/
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#475 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:52 AM

What do you think of Koncentrated K? I have started taking first bottle from them.

I'd say good for reversal/therapy, but overkill for prevention. So it depends on one's particular situation.

• Needs references x 1

#476 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

I was asked for references, and so far haven't located the study which showed MK4 but not MK7 affecting coronary artery calcification. However I did come across this study, which found that Mk4 deficiency predicted aortic calcification, but Mk7 deficiency predicted iliac calcification.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22692665

So perhaps this strengthens the argument to take both predominant forms of K2!

#477 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

I'd say good for reversal/therapy, but overkill for prevention. So it depends on one's particular situation.

Since this thread is about reversing arterial plaque, I would say prevention is a bid off topic. 2 pages ago I posted about 3 individuals reversing plaque (Patrick, John and me, all confirmed with before and after imaging). All of us took K-vitamins doses similar or even exceeding multiples of Koncntrated K. So not at all overkill, but most likely necessary for reversal of plaque in most cases.

#478 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Since this thread is about reversing arterial plaque, I would say prevention is a bid off topic. 2 pages ago I posted about 3 individuals reversing plaque (Patrick, John and me, all confirmed with before and after imaging). All of us took K-vitamins doses similar or even exceeding multiples of Koncntrated K. So not at all overkill, but most likely necessary for reversal of plaque in most cases.

You are saying the pretty much the same as me with so many words. Giving context is not off-topic.
  • Agree x 2

#479 Kodiak

• 26 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

Hi all,

It's not my intention to derail this wonderful thread but I was curious why chia, hemp and flax seeds might be something to avoid based on one of Duke's earlier posts. I PM'd him and am waiting for a response but if anyone else has an idea why I should eliminate these from my diet I'd love to hear it. I've been sprinkling all three of them in my morning oatmeal for years and do the same to my two-year-old's oatmeal so yes, I'm concerned about hurting her heart/health and mine. Could it be they have an unfavorable omega-6 load?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#480 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

I was curious why chia, hemp and flax seeds might be something to avoid based on one of Duke's earlier posts. ..Could it be they have an unfavorable omega-6 load?

Think you read him incorrectly, he only said:

o Avoid seed oils (or ANY oil with a polyunsaturated fatty acid content of higher than 10%)

It's because of the higher omega-6 content. Though with the seeds themself the omega-6 content is much less, and not mentioned to avoid by Duke.

• Needs references x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: artery, cardiovascular disease, lipids, matrix gla protein, vitamin k2 mk4, vitamin k2 mk7, xanthohumol, plaque

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users