- - - - -

Propofol safe after benzo withdrawal

benzodiazepines benzos benzo withdrawal propofol anesthesia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quamquam91

• 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:36 AM

I quit taking Xanax in April 2012. It's been two and a half years, and I spent quite a bit of that time coping with a protracted withdrawal syndrome. It is vital that I avoid exposure to GABA-A agonists, as that would risk rekindling withdrawal symptoms.

However, I have some GI issues bad enough that I'm considering an endoscopy to see if there's a physical cause. My GI doctor assured me that the anesthesia would only involve propofol--no benzodiazepine would be administered. However, this article indicates that propofol binds to GABA-A receptors.

I'm not scientifically literate to know whether this would be a real concern. Can anyone weigh in--does propofol act on the brain in a similar way to benzos?

#2 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

I've been under propofol anesthesia twice. Once during my taper off Xanax and again several months later. Didn't notice any rebound anxiety with either.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 quamquam91

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:01 AM

Excellent! Thank you for your post. I am looking to gather as many experiences as I can.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I agree, a one time exposure should be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benzodiazepines, benzos, benzo withdrawal, propofol, anesthesia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users