nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#451 Iotrez

• 3 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi all, I'm a 38 yr old male on my 3rd day of niagen. I've had terrible insomnia tonight though, how common is this? I get it sometimes anyway but this is worse than ever! I did have some sweet treats about an hour before bed which maybe contributed to it.

620 am now and ive got to be up for work in an hour! Only slept for a few mins I think, had a vivid nightmare and woke up.

I think I have felt like I have more energy in the day, although that could be placebo effect.

I'll stay on it for now and see what happens. Will have to stop if it makes my insomnia worse though:(

Edited by Iotrez, 06 January 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#452 M-K

• 67 posts
  • 4 ā‚®

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:32 AM

Hi all, I'm a 38 yr old male on my 3rd day of niagen. I've had terrible insomnia tonight though, how common is this? I get it sometimes anyway but this is worse than ever! I did have some sweet treats about an hour before bed which maybe contributed to it.

620 am now and ive got to be up for work in an hour! Only slept for a few mins I think, had a vivid nightmare and woke up.

I think I have felt like I have more energy in the day, although that could be placebo effect.

I'll stay on it for now and see what happens. Will have to stop if it makes my insomnia worse though:(

I haven't noticed insomnia related to NR.  What dosages are you taking?  What time(s)?  

#453 relativityboy

• 19 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • āœ”

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

Wait 10 days before reporting. Anything earlier than that may be placebo. 

• like x 1

#454 trance

• 335 posts
  • 112 ā‚®

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Here's some info on the insomnia part that I found a while back if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=693044

#455 nubiensunset

• 44 posts
  • 2 ā‚®

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:55 AM

A few days ago I finished a one-month trial of Biotivia's MitoTrans/stabilized NAD+ product, and have (subjectively) noticed some pretty good results from it.  I am a generally healthy 25 year old, and so i wasn't really sure if I would experience any noticeable benefits from MitoTrans or from NAD+ precursors. However, I regularly suffer from fatigue, apathy, and general malaise, and being in the financial position to try it (and very curious), I decided to give it a shot to see if it might benefit me. 

The most obvious effect i've observed is a reduction in body fat. I was probably already at 12-14% body fat prior to my trial, and after a couple weeks or so in, I started noticing a pretty good bit more abdominal definition. At the time, I was only working out around once a week, which is not very much for me, so I contribute an improved mitochondrial function or some other downstream effect to my fat loss.  

Another subjective benefit I have noticed is a reduction in general anxiety and lack of motivation. This could definitely be placebo, but I seemed to have a good bit more physical energy, and after a couple weeks I had the motivation to get into a regular intense weight-training routine. I haven't noticed any additional insomnia from it than what i already suffer from, but recently i do feel like i've been able to manage a bit better on sleep deprived days, 

I've taken C60 a few times in the past, and i'm not sure how this compares or if there is a possible complementary effect on each other. I have a couple recent scars that I've been monitoring that seem to have lightened up a bit, but I didn't take any pictures, and the color seems to change in accordance to bloodflow and my body temperature, so i cant be sure they have improved much or not. 

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience since I havent seen much discussion about Mitotrans

• like x 1

#456 relativityboy

• 19 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • āœ”

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:44 AM

A few days ago I finished a one-month trial of Biotivia's MitoTrans/stabilized NAD+ product....

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience since I havent seen much discussion about Mitotrans

After your post I tried to find some info about MitoTrans and wasn't able to parse anything about their formulas; the website is all about creating a feeling of scarcity.

I'm inclined to think their product is just plain old NR (at a lowish-dose if the 100mg I did find is to be believed). NR is the only oral supplement that is supposed to be able to make it from the mouth through all the metabolic steps needed to get into the cells. At worst they're putting actual NAD+ into those pills and it's getting destroyed long before it even enters the bloodstream.

Loving that placebo effect?

Next-up, I contacted Chromadex again about their human study of the effects of NR over a 3 month period.. The sales team is going to get me info as soon as they have it.

Here's a link to the study (results not posted @ time of my writing) - https://clinicaltria...how/NCT02191462

And a link to the NR info thread http://www.longecity...ws-and-updates/

• Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#457 nubiensunset

• 44 posts
  • 2 ā‚®

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I'm inclined to think their product is just plain old NR (at a lowish-dose if the 100mg I did find is to be believed). NR is the only oral supplement that is supposed to be able to make it from the mouth through all the metabolic steps needed to get into the cells. At worst they're putting actual NAD+ into those pills and it's getting destroyed long before it even enters the bloodstream.

There is no doubt in my mind that the product is in fact NAD+, and not just NR.  And from what I understand, the absorption/bio-availability of NAD+ is still up in the air.

I had a brief discussion with one of the researchers, and this is what I was able to discern:

While NAD+ membrane permeability has not been clearly defined, the study Pharmacological Effects of Exogenous NAD on Mitochondrial Bioenergetics, DNA Repair, and Apoptosis indicates that in mitochondria cells exposed to exogenous NAD (eNAD)m the intracellular NAD contents increased, suggesting direct cellular eNAD uptake and that NAD precursors could not reproduce the effects of eNAD.

The implications of this are a bit over my head, but this seems to indicate that extracellular NAD can, in fact, be absorbed.

Additionally, there is this study:

Intranasal administration with NAD+ profoundly decreases brain injury in a rat model of transient focal ischemia.

I'm not sure why people seem to be claiming that NAD+ cannot enter cells. The only support i've seen for this claim is a youtube video, in which an MIT professor says that the molecule is too large to enter cells. If there are any published references to support this claim, i would like to see them.

(sorry for the thread derail - )

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#458 mtn2011

• 33 posts
  • -0 ā‚®

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

I started Life Extension NAD+ 100mg 1 time a day in the morning with another 200mg of Resveratrol on Monday and I have felt noticeably better during the day but i am crashing hard in the early evening feeling extremely tired

#459 relativityboy

• 19 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • āœ”

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that the product is in fact NAD+, and not just NR.  And from what I understand, the absorption/bio-availability of NAD+ is still up in the air.

I had a brief discussion with one of the researchers, and this is what I was able to discern:

While NAD+ membrane permeability has not been clearly defined, the study Pharmacological Effects of Exogenous NAD on Mitochondrial Bioenergetics, DNA Repair, and Apoptosis indicates that in mitochondria cells exposed to exogenous NAD (eNAD)m the intracellular NAD contents increased, suggesting direct cellular eNAD uptake and that NAD precursors could not reproduce the effects of eNAD.

The implications of this are a bit over my head, but this seems to indicate that extracellular NAD can, in fact, be absorbed.

Additionally, there is this study:

Intranasal administration with NAD+ profoundly decreases brain injury in a rat model of transient focal ischemia.

I'm not sure why people seem to be claiming that NAD+ cannot enter cells. The only support i've seen for this claim is a youtube video, in which an MIT professor says that the molecule is too large to enter cells. If there are any published references to support this claim, i would like to see them.

(sorry for the thread derail - )

nubiensunset - I poked around the inter-webs for a bit with the intent of debunking the inter-cell discussion, but in my exhaustive 15 minute search (jk) I didn't find what I was looking for. Instead what I found was another study, done just a year after the one you linked to that mentions both inter-cell NAD uptake AND synthesis via NR. 

I'm still very suspicious of any supplement that purports to deliver actual NAD through the intestinal walls (that's why NR was created I believe) but I'm super-curious.

P.S. beware resveratrol. For a short period 2 years ago I tried a linear scaling of it to human dosage. (2grams per day) it aged my skin several years over the course of a month. I stopped taking it obviously. While lower does may have a beneficial effect the free radical TOE is not a complete theory - and suffers from simplistic 'good things' or 'bad things' labeling.

• Off-Topic x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#460 Iotrez

• 3 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi all,

I took "Life extension" Niagen for 6 days and felt like I had more energy than usual(I think). However,  I also noticed sometimes that my face was feeling hot, like I was flushing.

I can't say for sure that this was caused by the Niagen (the air con at work wasn't working properly which I'm sure didn't help). I notice some other people mention flushing as a side effect though.

Its seems odd that this would be the case when the information about Niagen says that its a "no flushing" form of niacin.

If its going to cause me facial flushing I don't really want to take it while at work.  Is it ok to just take it at the weekend? I assume it would still have a beneficial effect, just not as much as if I took it every day.

Niagen has been advertised as something people who do exteme sports can take as a protective measure for the brain, so I'm guessing that people who take it for this reason only take it when they have a game and not every day?

#461 SMichelle28

• 28 posts
  • 4 ā‚®

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Here's some info on the insomnia part that I found a while back if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=693044

To update on that... when I first started taking Niagen, I had trouble falling asleep but when I did get to sleep, I slept better than I did before NR. The difficulty falling asleep could have been due to the change in energy levels from taking NR and/or the excitement I had from what I was experiencing early on. I do not have that issue anymore. I fall asleep very easily now and sleep good through the night.

• Informative x 1

#462 SMichelle28

• 28 posts
  • 4 ā‚®

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

I finally got my eye exam done earlier this month... I did have improvement in my right eye. I went from -1.25 to -1.00 for spherical, which represents my level of nearsightedness from the shape of my eyeball. No change in my prescription in terms of astigmatism which relates to the lens and cornea. Left eye stayed the same. I had also posted about my eyes increased detection of light. Everything is continuing to get brighter as time goes by. I am still in awe by how vibrate colors are when paired with light ie. street lights. Also, my hearing still seems to be improving from taking NR. 

I also wanted to mention that I notice differences in how NR works based on how I eat. As I posted before, I noticed vision improvements when I started eating more vegetables. I stopped eating as healthy for a certain amount of time and then the changes I was experiencing started to slow down or even stop. Nothing reversed though. Again, I decided to start eating more fruits and vegetables, a lot of different ones... as a result, the changes in my body have once again increased more rapidly. For example, the age spots on the back of my hand that mentioned fading before, started to slow down to the point where I couldn't notice any changes when I wasn't eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. When I decided to eat healthier again, about 2 weeks ago, the age spots started to quickly fade again. I don't think anyone has brought up a link to how dietary intake may correlate with how effective NR works. This has continually shown to be true for me at least and it makes sense.

APBT: Deleted self-promoting retail reference and link.

Edited by APBT, 25 January 2015 - 07:53 PM.

• dislike x 5

#463 Brainfart

• 17 posts
  • 2 ā‚®

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

I will concur with SMichelle28 about the vibrant colors.  The other day while playing volleyball, I had to chase the ball into the grass.  The vibrancy of the green grass (I'm in Florida) was almost overwhelming.  I'm still on 100 mg in the AM only with LEF, NAD+ Cell Generator. Oh and I played 7 games of volleyball to 21 points that day.

Edited by Brainfart, 24 January 2015 - 09:04 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#464 Iotrez

• 3 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi all,

I've just started up again on Niagen but after a couple of days I notice a strange feeling in my front/left side quite low down..as if I'm a bit constipated or something.  Also my number 2s are very small and hard!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe my body just needs a while to get used to the Niagen or something.

#465 zorba990

• 1,602 posts
  • 315 ā‚®

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

100mg doesn't seem to do anything for me. If I go up to 500mg is that really safe for the liver? (I don't like the historical on niacin / niacinamide in this regard)

#466 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • 587 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

100mg doesn't seem to do anything for me. If I go up to 500mg is that really safe for the liver? (I don't like the historical on niacin / niacinamide in this regard)

That would depend on the ratio of Nicotinamide to ribose in NR Zorba.
I'm sure someone here knows what the ratio is?

Keep in mind that there is a study that says NR is SLOWLY broken down to NAM and R in the gut, so that's also a consideration.

Another thing that worries me is that Nicotinamide is a negative regulator of PARP, so maybe you end up with more NAD+ as it isn't getting used up for DNA repair etc.
There are good papers on PARP and they are well worth reading!

Its just not logical to take NicotinAMIDE when you look into where it feeds into the whole NAM-NamPT-NAD+- SIRT/PARP cycle IMHO.

#467 SMichelle28

• 28 posts
  • 4 ā‚®

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:50 AM

500 mg isn't that high. Even with niacin and nicotinamide it is around 3 g that you will see liver toxicity. Niacin has a flushing reaction, even at low doses due to its unique pathway. Nicotinamide is inhibitory to certain pathways so that's why high amounts of it wouldn't be good. NR seems to be the safest and most potent of the 3. Whether high amounts of NR is toxic to the liver has yet to be determined, so far I haven't heard of any problems. Still, 500 mg isn't an unreasonable amount to take daily.
  • Needs references x 1

#468 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts
  • 64 ā‚®

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Recently I got two bottles of niagen and will be posting in this thread.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#469 relativityboy

• 19 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • āœ”

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for telling us in advance. If you hadn't we'd be like - 

Attached File  whoa.jpg   16.88KB   11 downloads

• Cheerful x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#470 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

attachicon.gifwhoa.jpg

I put a smiley under that for ya, but your gonna get flamed!..........(so am I :))

• Cheerful x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#471 relativityboy

• 19 posts
  • 2 ā‚®
  • āœ”

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

attachicon.gifwhoa.jpg

I put a smiley under that for ya, but your gonna get flamed!..........(so am I :))

This thread - FTW? LoL!

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Agree x 1

#472 to age or not to age

• 151 posts
  • 93 ā‚®

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

I don't know if Longecity members have seen it, but Leonard Guarente, backed by 5 nobel laureates, has begun selling a product called BASIS.

This consists of NR plus pterostilbene (a more  bioactive form of resveratrol).  The company, Elysium Health, will be doing human tests on an ongoing basis.

The launch is a year in the making (I had dinner with the principals in June) and is trying to do a hydrid of going through the FDA vs just selling a supplement.

I have commented before on Longecity that number of these scientists have begun taking NR plus a resveratrol type compound.

I don't have the link handy this moment but last Tuesday's Boston Globe and a number of other publicatiions published stories. 

• Informative x 3
  • like x 2

#473 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:55 PM

Hi all,

I've just started up again on Niagen but after a couple of days I notice a strange feeling in my front/left side quite low down..as if I'm a bit constipated or something.  Also my number 2s are very small and hard!

Similar experience for me....with HPN capsules, I have been taking the new powder for for a few days now, will let you know if that changes with the powder form..

I am going to try the new Elysium product (Basis) when I've used all the HPN powder. (about two months from now)

Edited by midas, 08 February 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#474 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts
  • 18 ā‚®

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

I don't know if Longecity members have seen it, but Leonard Guarente, backed by 5 nobel laureates, has begun selling a product called BASIS.

This consists of NR plus pterostilbene (a more  bioactive form of resveratrol).  The company, Elysium Health, will be doing human tests on an ongoing basis.

The launch is a year in the making (I had dinner with the principals in June) and is trying to do a hydrid of going through the FDA vs just selling a supplement.

I have commented before on Longecity that number of these scientists have begun taking NR plus a resveratrol type compound.

I don't have the link handy this moment but last Tuesday's Boston Globe and a number of other publicatiions published stories. 

http://www.bostonglo...ZArO/story.html

By Stefanie FriedhoffGLOBE CORRESPONDENT  

FEBRUARY 03, 2015

Five Nobel laureates backing antiaging dietary supplement

#475 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts
  • 18 ā‚®

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hi all,

Similar experience for me....with HPN capsules, I have been taking the new powder for for a few days now, will let you know if that changes with the powder form..

I am going to try the new Elysium product (Basis) when I've used all the HPN powder. (about two months from now)

http://www.elysiumhealth.com/products

#476 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts
  • 290 ā‚®

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

As it happens, I'm in a unique position to comment on pterostilbene. I've taken a lot over 3 years or so, more or less 200 mg/d. I paused over a month ago, but plan to resume. When taking this stuff, you need to understand the major negatives:

1. For the most part, it's synthetic. That's a good thing for quality control, but it also means that various volatile organic compounds are left in the powder. Good manufacturers track this, and there are legal limits. Press them for the data. Suffice to say, there is significant lot-to-lot variance; hopefully that will settle down due to process opimtizations in the future.

2. It's the most potent blood sugar jackhammer I've ever taken. If you're not careful, it can make you feel faint rather quickly. So pay attention to dose. (I'm 78 kg and my tolerance limit is maybe 300 mg.)

3. In theory, it's heavily proapoptotic. While that's great for cancer prevention, it's not so great for neurological health or healing. (It's not that simple, of course, because it affects other pathways as well, which would actually support the latter.)

4. As far as I can see, you won't notice anything, apart from perhaps feeling faint at high doses. It works in a purely preventative capacity, except for some allegedly measurable blood lipid profile benefits.

All told, I would say that I'm in favor of taking the stuff, and I applaud the researchers and manufacturers who brought it to market. But educate yourself first.

"Another thing that worries me is that Nicotinamide is a negative regulator of PARP, so maybe you end up with more NAD+ as it isn't getting used up for DNA repair etc.

Its just not logical to take NicotinAMIDE when you look into where it feeds into the whole NAM-NamPT-NAD+- SIRT/PARP cycle IMHO."

This sounds significant, but I don't really understand it. Anyone care to explain?

#477 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

As it happens, I'm in a unique position to comment on pterostilbene. I've taken a lot over 3 years or so, more or less 200 mg/d. I paused over a month ago, but plan to resume. When taking this stuff, you need to understand the major negatives:

1. For the most part, it's synthetic. That's a good thing for quality control, but it also means that various volatile organic compounds are left in the powder. Good manufacturers track this, and there are legal limits. Press them for the data. Suffice to say, there is significant lot-to-lot variance; hopefully that will settle down due to process opimtizations in the future.

2. It's the most potent blood sugar jackhammer I've ever taken. If you're not careful, it can make you feel faint rather quickly. So pay attention to dose. (I'm 78 kg and my tolerance limit is maybe 300 mg.)

3. In theory, it's heavily proapoptotic. While that's great for cancer prevention, it's not so great for neurological health or healing. (It's not that simple, of course, because it affects other pathways as well, which would actually support the latter.)

4. As far as I can see, you won't notice anything, apart from perhaps feeling faint at high doses. It works in a purely preventative capacity, except for some allegedly measurable blood lipid profile benefits.

All told, I would say that I'm in favor of taking the stuff, and I applaud the researchers and manufacturers who brought it to market. But educate yourself first.

"Another thing that worries me is that Nicotinamide is a negative regulator of PARP, so maybe you end up with more NAD+ as it isn't getting used up for DNA repair etc.

Its just not logical to take NicotinAMIDE when you look into where it feeds into the whole NAM-NamPT-NAD+- SIRT/PARP cycle IMHO."

This sounds significant, but I don't really understand it. Anyone care to explain?

Just so you know their is only 50mg of Pterostilbene in each daily serving of Elysium's new product Basis..

• like x 1

#478 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts
  • 18 ā‚®

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:04 AM

Just so you know their is only 50mg of Pterostilbene in each daily serving of Elysium's new product Basis..

AND--as I understand--there is only 250mg of NR total in the two capsule daily serving of Elysium's Basis. 

Either $60 for one month alone or $50 monthly with an on-going subscription is hardly a great deal--

• like x 1

#479 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 ā‚®
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

AND--as I understand--there is only 250mg of NR total in the two capsule daily serving of Elysium's Basis. 

Either $60 for one month alone or $50 monthly with an on-going subscription is hardly a great deal--

That would depend on how you look at it.

All other NR suppliers are supplying a 250mg daily dosage or even less than 250mg from some suppliers. And the retail price is around $47-$50 for a months supply.

Elysium is giving you the pterostilbene in with that for the same cost, so if you get the monthly supply it is not a bad deal at $50 when compared to the normal retail cost from other suppliers like HPN ($47.95) you could look at that as paying the extra $2.05 per month for the pterostilbene.

I also think the dosage per capsule is far more likely to be accurate and consistent from Elysium than from others as the scientists backing this product would not be happy to put their names to something unless it was 100% what it should be..

Obviously this doesn't compete with the group buy price on here but from a standard retail point of view the Elysium product is a good buy.

• Agree x 3
  • dislike x 1

#480 daco222

• 10 posts
  • 3 ā‚®

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

I had posted this into update post, but maybe this can be useful

ChromaDex's NIAGENā„¢ Nicotinamide Riboside Meets Primary Endpoint in First Human Clinical Study

- Results Confirm That NR Increases the Mitochondrial Co-enzyme NAD+ and is Safe -

- Full Study Results to be Peer Reviewed for Scientific Publication -

IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex Corp. (OTCQX: CDXC) announced today that the initial results of the first human clinical study for the company's NIAGENĀ® nicotinamide riboside (NR) has met its primary endpoint. The results demonstrated that a single dose of NR resulted in statistically significant increases in the co-enzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) in healthy human volunteers. The study shows for the first time a similar conversion of NR into NAD+ as has been shown in prior animal studies.

Maintenance of sufficient levels of NAD+ is key to cellular energy metabolism and mitochondrial function. If NAD+ levels go down or are redirected (as in cancer cells), mitochondrial function erodes, creating numerous adverse effects. For example, results of a mouse study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with ChromaDex published in November 2014indicated that NR was effective at restoring NAD+ levels in mitochondria and rescuing phenotypes associated with a devastating accelerated aging disease known as Cockayne Syndrome (CS). The researchers concluded that NR showed promise as a potential therapy for the disease, as well as for other age-related neurodegenerative conditions.

In the first human clinical study of NIAGENĀ®, NAD+ metabolomic analyses were completed in blood for various time points over a 24-hour period. For the first time, the study also established an effective dose range for NR in humans.

A preliminary analysis of the results did not reveal any safety issues with NR, which is consistent with previous safety results demonstrated in numerous cell and animal studies.

The full results of the study will be submitted for peer review in the scientific literature.

The NAD+ metabolomics analyses were performed in the laboratory of Dr. Charles Brenner, the Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry and Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa. In 2004, Brenner, who was then a faculty member at Dartmouth College, discovered NR to be a vital precursor of NAD+, which is made available by nicotinamide riboside kinases (Nrks) that are conserved between yeast and humans. In 2007, Dr. Brenner's lab discovered a second pathway by which NR is converted to NAD+ and showed that NR can extend the lifespan of yeast cells by virtue of elevating NAD+ levels and increasing the activity of the NAD+-dependent Sir2 enzyme. 

Dr. Brenner commented, "The results of this study constitute a significant milestone in the translation of NR technologies as it is the first time an increase in NAD+ in humans has been demonstrated through NR supplementation. As noted in numerous scientific studies, the potential health and therapeutic benefits of NR as a precursor to NAD+ are significant. The results of this clinical study should encourage more studies and research regarding the possible health benefits of NR in humans."

Nobel Laureate Dr. Roger Kornberg, who chairs ChromaDex's Scientific Advisory Board, commented, "Demonstrating that NR is an effective precursor to increase NAD+ in humans has significant positive implications and may be a cornerstone to developing solutions to delay or reverse the effects of aging, obesity and disease."

Frank Jaksch Jr., founder and CEO of ChromaDex, commented, "We believe the confirmation that a single dose of NR increases NAD+ in humans is a landmark result and a significant bridge between the numerous animal studies previously conducted that have demonstrated not only an increase in NAD+, but also a broad range of therapeutic benefits."

Jaksch continued, "Dysfunctional cellular energy metabolism in mitochondria is increasingly implicated in diseases of aging, autoimmune diseases, muscle wasting, neuropathies and other conditions, and this study opens the door to the development of both consumer products and pharmaceuticals addressing these conditions."

ChromaDex's NIAGENĀ® is the only commercially available form of NR and is supported by five patents issued and several pending, with patents rights acquired from Dartmouth College, Cornell University and Washington University.

Published research has shown that NR is perhaps the most effective precursor to boost the co-enzyme NAD+ in the cell. NAD+ is arguably the most important cellular co-factor for improvement of mitochondrial performance and energy. In recent years, NAD+ has also been shown to participate as an extracellular signaling molecule in cell-to-cell communication. NAD+ is essential in supporting healthy cellular metabolism, including the efficient conversion of blood glucose into energy. 

As organisms age, NAD+ levels drop, which leads to a decrease in mitochondrial health; this in turn leads to age-related health issues. Low NAD+ levels limit the activity of a group of enzymes called sirtuins, which are believed to play key roles in longevity. NAD+ levels can be depleted by many of the stresses of life. By boosting NAD+, NR can increase mitochondrial health and induce creation of new mitochondria.
  • Informative x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By