Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#481 The_Next_LX

• 32 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

I had posted this into update post, but maybe this can be useful

ChromaDex's NIAGEN™ Nicotinamide Riboside Meets Primary Endpoint in First Human Clinical Study

- Results Confirm That NR Increases the Mitochondrial Co-enzyme NAD+ and is Safe -

- Full Study Results to be Peer Reviewed for Scientific Publication -

IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex Corp. (OTCQX: CDXC) announced today that the initial results of the first human clinical study for the company's NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside (NR) has met its primary endpoint. The results demonstrated that a single dose of NR resulted in statistically significant increases in the co-enzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) in healthy human volunteers. The study shows for the first time a similar conversion of NR into NAD+ as has been shown in prior animal studies.

Maintenance of sufficient levels of NAD+ is key to cellular energy metabolism and mitochondrial function. If NAD+ levels go down or are redirected (as in cancer cells), mitochondrial function erodes, creating numerous adverse effects. For example, results of a mouse study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with ChromaDex published in November 2014indicated that NR was effective at restoring NAD+ levels in mitochondria and rescuing phenotypes associated with a devastating accelerated aging disease known as Cockayne Syndrome (CS). The researchers concluded that NR showed promise as a potential therapy for the disease, as well as for other age-related neurodegenerative conditions.

In the first human clinical study of NIAGEN®, NAD+ metabolomic analyses were completed in blood for various time points over a 24-hour period. For the first time, the study also established an effective dose range for NR in humans.

A preliminary analysis of the results did not reveal any safety issues with NR, which is consistent with previous safety results demonstrated in numerous cell and animal studies.

The full results of the study will be submitted for peer review in the scientific literature.

The NAD+ metabolomics analyses were performed in the laboratory of Dr. Charles Brenner, the Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry and Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa. In 2004, Brenner, who was then a faculty member at Dartmouth College, discovered NR to be a vital precursor of NAD+, which is made available by nicotinamide riboside kinases (Nrks) that are conserved between yeast and humans. In 2007, Dr. Brenner's lab discovered a second pathway by which NR is converted to NAD+ and showed that NR can extend the lifespan of yeast cells by virtue of elevating NAD+ levels and increasing the activity of the NAD+-dependent Sir2 enzyme. 

Dr. Brenner commented, "The results of this study constitute a significant milestone in the translation of NR technologies as it is the first time an increase in NAD+ in humans has been demonstrated through NR supplementation. As noted in numerous scientific studies, the potential health and therapeutic benefits of NR as a precursor to NAD+ are significant. The results of this clinical study should encourage more studies and research regarding the possible health benefits of NR in humans."

Nobel Laureate Dr. Roger Kornberg, who chairs ChromaDex's Scientific Advisory Board, commented, "Demonstrating that NR is an effective precursor to increase NAD+ in humans has significant positive implications and may be a cornerstone to developing solutions to delay or reverse the effects of aging, obesity and disease."

Frank Jaksch Jr., founder and CEO of ChromaDex, commented, "We believe the confirmation that a single dose of NR increases NAD+ in humans is a landmark result and a significant bridge between the numerous animal studies previously conducted that have demonstrated not only an increase in NAD+, but also a broad range of therapeutic benefits."

Jaksch continued, "Dysfunctional cellular energy metabolism in mitochondria is increasingly implicated in diseases of aging, autoimmune diseases, muscle wasting, neuropathies and other conditions, and this study opens the door to the development of both consumer products and pharmaceuticals addressing these conditions."

ChromaDex's NIAGEN® is the only commercially available form of NR and is supported by five patents issued and several pending, with patents rights acquired from Dartmouth College, Cornell University and Washington University.

Published research has shown that NR is perhaps the most effective precursor to boost the co-enzyme NAD+ in the cell. NAD+ is arguably the most important cellular co-factor for improvement of mitochondrial performance and energy. In recent years, NAD+ has also been shown to participate as an extracellular signaling molecule in cell-to-cell communication. NAD+ is essential in supporting healthy cellular metabolism, including the efficient conversion of blood glucose into energy. 

As organisms age, NAD+ levels drop, which leads to a decrease in mitochondrial health; this in turn leads to age-related health issues. Low NAD+ levels limit the activity of a group of enzymes called sirtuins, which are believed to play key roles in longevity. NAD+ levels can be depleted by many of the stresses of life. By boosting NAD+, NR can increase mitochondrial health and induce creation of new mitochondria.

http://www.prnewswir...-300034312.html

• Agree x 1

#482 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:14 AM

I also think the dosage per capsule is far more likely to be accurate and consistent from Elysium than from others as the scientists backing this product would not be happy to put their names to something unless it was 100% what it should be..

Obviously this doesn't compete with the group buy price on here but from a standard retail point of view the Elysium product is a good buy.

I might agree about the quality if this were a random generic supplement, but both of these products are sourced from Chromadex, which is where everyone gets their NR.  It's the only game in town.  (For the time being, anyway.  I couldn't rule out the eventual existence of illicit producers or a way around the patented synthesis.)  Since in this case everyone is using the same material, the only way the pills might vary is in the filling.  That's mainly done in contract GMP facilities, and is pretty well developed technology.  I would be surprised to see a significant variation from the fill, so for the time being, people might as well shop on the basis of price.  The pterostilbene in Basis is a plus, and it has a nice design.  Nice blue pills...  That probably makes them work better.  At least Lenny sounds like a nice guy, and isn't a P.T. Barnum type like some in the business.  $50/bottle (subscription price) isn't that bad at all, compared to the other retail NR products.

Edited by niner, 12 February 2015 - 02:17 AM.

• Agree x 4
  • like x 1

#483 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:28 AM

Taking 1 pill per day I have notiecd possibly a little gurgly feeling in my intestines.  THere may be some blurred vision which may be because I was using my monitors one night in the dark which I shouldn't have.

#484 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

I also think the dosage per capsule is far more likely to be accurate and consistent from Elysium than from others as the scientists backing this product would not be happy to put their names to something unless it was 100% what it should be..

Obviously this doesn't compete with the group buy price on here but from a standard retail point of view the Elysium product is a good buy.

I might agree about the quality if this were a random generic supplement, but both of these products are sourced from Chromadex, which is where everyone gets their NR.  It's the only game in town.  (For the time being, anyway.  I couldn't rule out the eventual existence of illicit producers or a way around the patented synthesis.)  Since in this case everyone is using the same material, the only way the pills might vary is in the filling.  That's mainly done in contract GMP facilities, and is pretty well developed technology.  I would be surprised to see a significant variation from the fill, so for the time being, people might as well shop on the basis of price.  The pterostilbene in Basis is a plus, and it has a nice design.  Nice blue pills...  That probably makes them work better.  At least Lenny sounds like a nice guy, and isn't a P.T. Barnum type like some in the business.  $50/bottle (subscription price) isn't that bad at all, compared to the other retail NR products.

I also think the softgel delivery format (with a liquid interior for better absorption) is an advantage with the Basis product.

• Disagree x 3
  • Agree x 2

#485 follies

• 29 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

I have wondered about the absorption. I sometimes take the niagen sublingual. Could the gel coating act like enteric coating ?

#486 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

Logic's scary bedtime story: (For Review)

Sirt, Parp and friends are all gathered around the NAD+ party cake wanting a slice.

Nam is in charge of sharing out the cake.

Parp (who must have problems!?) jumps in 1st and helps himself to 70% of the cake.

That leaves 30% for Sirt and friends.

Next time the same thing happens, but the party goers, wanting it to be a fun party decide to make Nam bigger.

Nam, now bigger; sees to it that Parp only gets 30% of the NAD+ cake.

That leaves 70% for Sirt and friends.

Now Sirt is a great guy:  He makes everyone feel energetic and happy,  while Parp... who knows what Parp does!?  All we know is he's a greedy guts!

Well it turns out Parp runs around fixing DNA and DNA is the guy who stops everyone from turning into Cancer zombies!

At the beginning of the party DNA didn't need much fixing , but as the party progressed ROS snuck in and has been quietly growing and beating up DNA.

Everyone thought Parp was just a greedy guts and that making Nam bigger to stop him from hogging the cake was a great idea,  but now everyone is a cancer zombie!

And the party is turning into a massacre!

"Oh my!-Oh my! We shouldn't have made Nam bigger!" they cry!

"Better yet; you shouldn't have let ROS in" says PARP.

"But how could we stop him he always sneaks in!?"

"Well I think we should have invited C60 to the party, for a start, then thought  carefully about how to get a  bigger cake!"  screams Parp as the zombies devour him.

The End

:)

• Well Written x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#487 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

Straight up, though I have not fully evaluated how dead on scientifically accurate all of that is, it may well be as to the overall scope and tone the best post ever! 

Indeed though, within how all is so finely balanced, within homeostatic mechanisms et al., it is quite challenging to get just the right party atmosphere for an optimum party experience. ;)

• like x 1

#488 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

Could the gel coating act like enteric coating ?

I very much doubt that..

#489 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

Logic's scary bedtime story: (For Review)

Sirt, Parp and friends are all gathered around the NAD+ party cake wanting a slice.

Nam is in charge of sharing out the cake.

Parp (who must have problems!?) jumps in 1st and helps himself to 70% of the cake.

That leaves 30% for Sirt and friends.

Next time the same thing happens, but the party goers, wanting it to be a fun party decide to make Nam bigger.

Nam, now bigger; sees to it that Parp only gets 30% of the NAD+ cake.

That leaves 70% for Sirt and friends.

Now Sirt is a great guy:  He makes everyone feel energetic and happy,  while Parp... who knows what Parp does!?  All we know is he's a greedy guts!

Well it turns out Parp runs around fixing DNA and DNA is the guy who stops everyone from turning into Cancer zombies!

At the beginning of the party DNA didn't need much fixing , but as the party progressed ROS snuck in and has been quietly growing and beating up DNA.

Everyone thought Parp was just a greedy guts and that making Nam bigger to stop him from hogging the cake was a great idea,  but now everyone is a cancer zombie!

And the party is turning into a massacre!

"Oh my!-Oh my! We shouldn't have made Nam bigger!" they cry!

"Better yet; you shouldn't have let ROS in" says PARP.

"But how could we stop him he always sneaks in!?"

"Well I think we should have invited C60 to the party, for a start, then thought  carefully about how to get a  bigger cake!"  screams Parp as the zombies devour him.

The End

:)

Hi, I understand your thinking, and I like your nick, Logic, but remember that many pharmacological studies revealed that PARP inhibitors are useful against cancer, I want to post this, and tell me what you think about it, thanks:

PARP inhibitor

PARP inhibitors are a group of pharmacological inhibitors of the enzyme poly ADP ribose polymerase (PARP). They are developed for multiple indications; the most important is the treatment of cancer.[1] Several forms of cancer are more dependent on PARP than regular cells, making PARP an attractive target for cancer therapy.[2] [3] [4]

In addition to their use in cancer therapy, PARP inhibitors are considered a potential treatment for acute life-threatening diseases, such as stroke and myocardial infarction, as well as for long-term neurodegenerative diseases.[5]

Mechanism of action

DNA is damaged thousands of times during each cell cycle, and that damage must be repaired.

BRCA1, BRCA2 and PALB2[6] are proteins that are important for the repair of double-strand DNA breaks by the error-free homologous recombinational repair, or HRR, pathway. When the gene for either protein is mutated, the change can lead to errors in DNA repair that can eventually cause breast cancer. When subjected to enough damage at one time, the altered gene can cause the death of the cells.

PARP1 is a protein that is important for repairing single-strand breaks ('nicks' in the DNA). If such nicks persist unrepaired until DNA is replicated (which must precede cell division), then the replication itself can cause double strand breaks to form.[7]

Drugs that inhibit PARP1 cause multiple double strand breaks to form in this way, and in tumours with BRCA1, BRCA2 or PALB2 [6] mutations these double strand breaks cannot be efficiently repaired, leading to the death of the cells. Normal cells that don't replicate their DNA as often as cancer cells, and that lack any mutated BRCA1 or BRCA2 still have homologous repair operating, which allows them to survive the inhibition of PARP.[8][9]

Some cancer cells that lack the tumor suppressor PTEN may be sensitive to PARP inhibitors because of downregulation of Rad51, a critical homologous recombination component, although other data suggest PTEN may not regulate Rad51.[3][10] Hence PARP inhibitors may be effective against many PTEN-defective tumours[4] (e.g. some aggressive prostate cancers).

Cancer cells that are low in oxygen (e.g. in fast growing tumors) are sensitive to PARP inhibitors.[11]

Additional mode of action for PARP inhibitors

2012: Researchers at the National Cancer Institute have discovered a significant new mechanism of action for PARP inhibitors.[12] They have also identified differences in the toxic capabilities of three drugs in this class, which are currently being tested in clinical trials. Prior to this study, PARP inhibitors were thought to work primarily by blocking PARP enzyme activity, thus preventing the repair of DNA damage and ultimately causing cell death. In this study,[13] scientists established that PARP inhibitors have an additional mode of action: localizing PARP proteins at sites of DNA damage, which has relevance to their anti-tumor activity. The trapped PARP protein–DNA complexes are highly toxic to cells because they block DNA replication. When the researchers tested three PARP inhibitors for their differential ability to trap PARP proteins on damaged DNA, they found that the trndings suggest that there may be two classes of PARP inhibitors, catalytic inhibitors that act mainly to inhibit PARP enzyme activity and do not trap PARP proteins on DNA, and dual inhibitors that both block PARP enzyme activity and act as PARP poison.

We can see that this can inhibit some malfunction of mutated cells, the other problem like you said are the good ones, I will try NR with a woman of 24, with mitochondrial disease, myopathy it's the most hard sign of all, maybe the mtDNA can be repaired. Thanks for reading and good luck.

#490 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:13 AM

How much of a risk can it be if NR cures liver and pancreatic cancer in mice?

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#491 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

How much of a risk can it be if NR cures liver and pancreatic cancer in mice?

And NMN which we believe does the same thing as NR, but maybe more efficiently, regenerates healthy younger muscle in mice also.

Personally I have decided its worth taking, but am sticking to the 250mg daily dosage until we know more......But I'm quietly confident that is is a good thing, and we will be hearing a lot more about its benefits.

• Agree x 2

#492 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:36 AM

I've been taking 250 mg almost daily for nearly 14 months now.  I have no doubt it's worthwhile.  Age 67, I walk faster, stand straighter, get less tired.  Good mental clarity. Greater optimism.  I'm even starting to notice improvements in the sense of smell, as Michelle mentioned.  Last night I was startled by the smell of peanuts when my wife opened a bag of mixed nuts six feet away.  I have no doubt NR works at this dose.  I too am awaiting more information before upping the dose.  

• Informative x 2
  • like x 2

#493 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

Regarding side effects, these may be discussed

jaw pain

tendonitis

tmj

sleepiness

appetite

Furthermore, does anyone else have any pills that aren't completely volumed?

fHBpn1n.jpg

#494 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

jaw pain

tendonitis

tmj

sleepiness

appetite

Haven't experienced any of the side effects except possibly tmj (don't know what that is), but have seen the incompletely filled capsules in the HPN product.

(Can't get edit to work!)

Edited by M-K, 24 February 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#495 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

This is a common phenomenon with capsules.  It's probably just due to settling; if you have a milligram scale, you could try weighing some pills to see how consistent they are, but I wouldn't worry about it.

#496 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

We can see that this can inhibit some malfunction of mutated cells, the other problem like you said are the good ones, I will try NR with a woman of 24, with mitochondrial disease, myopathy it's the most hard sign of all, maybe the mtDNA can be repaired. Thanks for reading and good luck.

Mitochondrial diseases are the same as nuclear genetic diseases, except that the mitochondrial DNA is affected.  The DNA has the wrong sequence, but as far as the DNA repair machinery is concerned, that DNA is not broken.  It's wrong, but not damaged in a way that the DNA repair machinery can detect.  NR might still help her for other reasons.  In addition to NR, you ought to try c60oo with her.  I think there's a reasonable chance that it will improve symptoms of some mitochondrial diseases.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#497 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Mitochondrial diseases are the same as nuclear genetic diseases, except that the mitochondrial DNA is affected.  The DNA has the wrong sequence, but as far as the DNA repair machinery is concerned, that DNA is not broken.  It's wrong, but not damaged in a way that the DNA repair machinery can detect.  NR might still help her for other reasons.  In addition to NR, you ought to try c60oo with her.  I think there's a reasonable chance that it will improve symptoms of some mitochondrial diseases.

Yes I´m amazed with the results of c60oo, and wanted to add 10-20mg of mitoQ, but for now the NR results are interesting. She started thursday only with 250mg, and I recommend her to make pneumography, she obtained bad results, so she needed a nebulisation and many other things, but the NR really accelerated the recuperation time, I say only wow, nice results, she report more energy, I didn´t sayd anything to her about other reported effects, so I will ask her in a month other feelings, and make other pneumography in 3 months,  I will add c60oo next month, dont know if use one week dose or daily dose. Thanks for reading.

#498 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Since using NR I have been not remembering my dreams as much.  I keep track of them and usually I can write a lot but recently it has been like a paragraph or nothing at all.  Could just be random.

#499 oppenheimer82

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:11 AM

i've been taking this substance (250 mg/day) since last wednesday and the most profound effect i got from it is that my asthma symptoms have reduced with 70%-80%. these scientists should investigate if their is a correlation between low nad+ levels and asthma outbreaks.

i feel a little more energetic all day, but not yet significantly and my mind seems to be clearer. 

good stuff.

#500 Arisia

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:53 AM

I've just started taking NR(Doctor's Best, Best Energy brand). This is the third day, and at 150mg the first day, and 300mg the next 2 days it has consistently had a very bizarre side-effect with me. Now, I may a unique case, having Lupus, and being recently diagnosed with Mild Neurocognitive Disorder (Essentially MCI) as well.

Before I began taking NR I stopped taking most of the supplements I've been using to ensure I'd be able discern any effects it might have, and kept only my regular medications: Levothyroxine, Metoprolol, Prednisone, and Aricept(donepezil). I did keep taking Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-Complex, however. Stopping the extra choline did cause me to degrade quite a bit cognitively over the following week.

About one hour after taking 150mg of NR I noticed that my mind was more active and I was thinking a little bit better. Nothing amazing, like adding CDP Choline, but a noticeable improvement. I also noticed that I walked a little better. Not as slow as usual, and my balance seemed better. Shortly thereafter, however, I noticed feeling as if something horrible had recently happened. Some emotional trauma I was trying to overcome. It was quite disturbing, and lasted all day and into the evening. I had a very hard time getting to sleep in the evening, and barely slept that night.

The next day I took 150mg of NR in the morning, and another 150mg of NR at noon. I had the same reaction. My cognition improved somewhat(at least in my mind it did. I was told later on I wasn't speaking very well, not an unusual symptom when I'm off of CDP Choline). And, I had this intense feeling that something horrible had happened, that I was trying to overcome. This feeling intensified with the second 150mg dose of NR at noon. This again lasted into the evening, and it was difficult to sleep.

Today, the third day of NR, the same experience. I also noted when eating dinner, a Reuben sandwich, that I found the texture of the bread disturbing for some reason, and I kept looking at the bread crumbs on my plate looking for meaning in the pattern they made. This is very bizarre, and very unusual.

So. What's happening here. Is the NR interacting with the Aricept in some manner(Aricept can cause you to have disturbing dreams, for instance)? Is it potentiating that effect and causing it to occur during the day?

Is the NR creating an imbalance in neurochemicals in my brain? I don't normally suffer from any psychological issues(occasional mild depression). No OCD, or schizophrenia, etc.

Or, is the NR just increasing the metabolism of my brain somewhat, and this is the new state of my damaged brain. I don't think this is the case, since CDP Choline greatly increases my cognition without causing any such disturbances. And, Aderall, though not nearly as helpful as CDP Choline, increases my cognitive abilities somewhat and does not cause any disturbing side effects either.

Anyway, I though I'd post my limited experience so far. Some positive, but minor benefits concerning my MND/MCI, and one massive negative side-effect.

#501 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:33 AM

I've just started taking NR(Doctor's Best, Best Energy brand). This is the third day, and at 150mg the first day, and 300mg the next 2 days it has consistently had a very bizarre side-effect with me. Now, I may a unique case, having Lupus, and being recently diagnosed with Mild Neurocognitive Disorder (Essentially MCI) as well.

Before I began taking NR I stopped taking most of the supplements I've been using to ensure I'd be able discern any effects it might have, and kept only my regular medications: Levothyroxine, Metoprolol, Prednisone, and Aricept(donepezil). I did keep taking Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-Complex, however. Stopping the extra choline did cause me to degrade quite a bit cognitively over the following week.

About one hour after taking 150mg of NR I noticed that my mind was more active and I was thinking a little bit better. Nothing amazing, like adding CDP Choline, but a noticeable improvement. I also noticed that I walked a little better. Not as slow as usual, and my balance seemed better. Shortly thereafter, however, I noticed feeling as if something horrible had recently happened. Some emotional trauma I was trying to overcome. It was quite disturbing, and lasted all day and into the evening. I had a very hard time getting to sleep in the evening, and barely slept that night.

The next day I took 150mg of NR in the morning, and another 150mg of NR at noon. I had the same reaction. My cognition improved somewhat(at least in my mind it did. I was told later on I wasn't speaking very well, not an unusual symptom when I'm off of CDP Choline). And, I had this intense feeling that something horrible had happened, that I was trying to overcome. This feeling intensified with the second 150mg dose of NR at noon. This again lasted into the evening, and it was difficult to sleep.

Today, the third day of NR, the same experience. I also noted when eating dinner, a Reuben sandwich, that I found the texture of the bread disturbing for some reason, and I kept looking at the bread crumbs on my plate looking for meaning in the pattern they made. This is very bizarre, and very unusual.

So. What's happening here. Is the NR interacting with the Aricept in some manner(Aricept can cause you to have disturbing dreams, for instance)? Is it potentiating that effect and causing it to occur during the day?

Is the NR creating an imbalance in neurochemicals in my brain? I don't normally suffer from any psychological issues(occasional mild depression). No OCD, or schizophrenia, etc.

Or, is the NR just increasing the metabolism of my brain somewhat, and this is the new state of my damaged brain. I don't think this is the case, since CDP Choline greatly increases my cognition without causing any such disturbances. And, Aderall, though not nearly as helpful as CDP Choline, increases my cognitive abilities somewhat and does not cause any disturbing side effects either.

Anyway, I though I'd post my limited experience so far. Some positive, but minor benefits concerning my MND/MCI, and one massive negative side-effect.

What I can say too, its that prednisolone its really associated with the block of cox1 and cox2, and NR in the muscular improvement investigation said that its associated with cox way, and other experiense that i saw with a girl with degenerative myophaty, its a noticiable improvement, but with so much insomnia. I believe that NR accelerate or reestablish some of the function of the mitochondria. And with you its doing in some way the same thing, and other thing the girl with the myophaty, reports to me, that feels a lot of anxiety, she takes 250mg.

#502 Luxflux

• 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Do you think it is possible that this is an anxiety effect due to a sudden influx of cellular energy? When I first started taking a modest does of creatine (as a vegetarian, so the effects are more pronounced), I had a similar experience where I felt impending doom. I didn't realize that these symptoms were anxiety related. It subsided after a few days of pushing through it. That might be what's happening with you, could be worth looking at panic disorder/anxiety symptoms and seeing if a description of those overlaps with your experiences. It might just be working too well.

• Agree x 1

#503 Arisia

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Daco and LuxFlux. It didn't feel like any kind of anxiety I've ever felt, but I suppose it could be some sort of anxiety/panic disorder brought on by increased metabolism in my brain.

I decided to take approx. 2/3(just the way the tablet broke) of a Lithium Orotate tablet last night and it did provide significant relief from my symptoms, leading credence to the anxiety theory.

Last night, when I took the second half of my Aricept dose I was expecting the symptoms to worsen. Since they did not, I do not think there's any interaction with Aricept going on.

I suppose there's a small probability that my particular bottle of NR is contaminated with something that's causing my reaction. However, the anxiety/panic disorder theory seems the more likely one.

Note Bene: I misread the dosage of NR I was taking. Each capsule contains 75mg of NR, not 150mg per capsule. I was actually taking 75mg of NR initially, followed the next two days by a total of 150mg of NR each day. So, half the dosage I originally reported.

#504 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

I've been taking 250mg sublingually am and pm for  a couple of weeks.  I frequently get a little lightheaded from the second cap.   I've now increased my dose to 500mg bid sublingually.  I've noticed that my sudoku speed has decreased.  My endurance in my 3x weekly swimming workout does seem to have improved but not sure if that is due to normal progress or the NR.  

The sudoku decline is somewhat of concern and I may stop for a week or two to see if that changes.  My sleep habits are very irregular so that may also be having an impact.  

I'm 71 years young and have diabetes type 2 treated with exercise and diet only.  Haven't noticed any impact on my blood sugar.

Mike

#505 Arisia

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

Just to follow up. After getting back on my normal supplements, and getting my acetylcholine levels back to where they should be, NR is no longer having a strong negative effect on me. 75mg of NR does feel like a strong and long acting stimulant(feeling like it's primarily increasing norepinephrine). So, its now part of my supplement stack.

#506 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Rather strangely, no one seems to report on objective metrics (such as "my 30 min. best performance at the gym on the elliptical machine has improved from 11.7 cal/s to 11.9"). When I get mine (which is in mail), I intend to.

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#507 MarcD

• 51 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

1h running and some talking at the same time: 6:53 min/km at HF 127 min-1

on C60oo

1h running and some talking at the same time: 6:15 min/km at HF 144 min-1

on C60oo and Niagen (500mg ed)

125m up and down in a forest

I was faster with Niagen, but also my HF was higher... so maybe it's just the extra motivation ;-)

• Informative x 1

#508 Brainfart

• 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

jaw pain

tendonitis

tmj

sleepiness

appetite

fHBpn1n.jpg

I have been having issues with tendonitis, and wasn't sure why.  I know the tendons in my heals have been tighter than normal.  I really didn't think anything of it until I was at Universal Studios two weekends ago, and all of a sudden, mind you after a day and a half of walking around the park, my right foot decided enough was enough.  I had a pain in the 5th metatarsal on the outside of my foot, and it lasted for several days. I'm only on a 100 mg in the morning, from LEF's  NAD+ Cell Regenerator.  It's unfortunate because I was really enjoying the energy.

Edited by Brainfart, 13 March 2015 - 06:49 PM.

• Informative x 1

#509 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

"I had a pain in the 5th metatarsal on the outside of my foot" ..................."after a day and a half of walking around the park"

I think the answer is right there, I dont think the NR has anything at all to do with it.

• Agree x 2

#510 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

1h running and some talking at the same time: 6:53 min/km at HF 127 min-1

on C60oo

1h running and some talking at the same time: 6:15 min/km at HF 144 min-1

on C60oo and Niagen (500mg ed)

125m up and down in a forest

I was faster with Niagen, but also my HF was higher... so maybe it's just the extra motivation ;-)

You're on the right track (pun intended), but I think the only truly objective measure is your personal best, which isn't beaten very often or affected by placebo. Ideally, a short but intense workout, such as 3 or 5 minutes on the rowing machine with no possibility of outside distractions. Or how many pushups till you're pooped. It's hard to fake doing better than your best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By