* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1201 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

An update. I had reported pain in the soles of my feet. The onset of this pain coincided with starting NR back in June, 2016.  

On account of this pain, I took 3 months off NR.  The foot pain didn't go away or even lessen during this hiatus. 

On resuming NR in October, I increased my daily NR does to 500mg/day or more (I've been taking as high as 2,000 mg for several days at a time). The foot pain did not get any worse.  

Into 2017 I began taking regular breaks from NR, twice pausing for as long as a week, but usually I would just quit for a couple days at a time.   Anyway, about a month ago I started taking capsules of Niacinamide and Ribose separately, in addition to at least 500 mg of NR formula. The other day I noticed the pain in the soles of my feet had vanished completely.  

Edited by Empiricus, 27 April 2017 - 06:36 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#1202 Oakman

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

An update. I had reported pain in the soles of my feet. The onset of this pain coincided with starting NR back in June, 2016.  

On account of this pain, I took 3 months off NR.  The foot pain didn't go away or even lessen during this hiatus. 

On resuming NR in October, I increased my daily NR does to 500mg/day or more (I've been taking as high as 2,000 mg for several days at a time). The foot pain did not get any worse.  

Into 2017 I began taking regular breaks from NR, twice pausing for as long as a week, but usually I would just quit for a couple days at a time.   Anyway, about a month ago I started taking capsules of Niacinamide and Ribose separately, in addition to at least 500 mg of NR formula. The other day I noticed the pain in the soles of my feet had vanished completely.  

Possibly you simply needed more of whatever B3 was providing you, above and beyond the 500mg of NR. Perhaps you could try taking an increased dose of NR to equal the added Niacinamide (and stop taking it) to see if you get the same (good) result?

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1203 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:43 PM

Niagen helps pets too.

"No kidding. I have a BIG cat, Maine #$%$, 18-pounder. At least he used to be. When he turned 14 he started losing weight. He dropped to 15 pounds, and the vet got worried. By the following year he dropped to 12. That's just what happens to cats when they get old, so I started sprinkling a little Niagen in his food. Now he is back up to 15 pounds, healthy, fatter. stronger. He just turned 16, and still catches gophers and eats them (whole) (disgusting). N=1, but I'd say he aged backwards. He might not live longer, but he is living better."
  • Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#1204 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the report. Would you share what your Niacinimide/D-Ribose dose is? Thanks in advance.

MikeDC, nice report.

#1205 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

I've re-posted this here:  http://www.longecity...e-4#entry813846

Edited by APBT, 27 April 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#1206 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Soulprogrammer is correct. This thread should be primarily for "personal experiences". Try not to get sidetracked. Challenge with data...not ad hominem attacks. Any further trolling will result in a temporary suspension.

• Agree x 5

#1207 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Trying to keep this on-topic is a bit like herding cats.  Please post thoughtfully and not in haste.

I'll again refer everyone to:

http://www.longecity...e-thread/page-1

http://www.longecity...-38#entry809433

#1208 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the report. Would you share what your Niacinimide/D-Ribose dose is? Thanks in advance.

MikeDC, nice report.

The dosing has not been consistent, but averages about 1,000 mg Niacinamide and 20,000 mg of Ribose per day, about three times per week.  I got the idea of taking them separately from Turnbuckle, though I have continued consuming NR as well (250-500mg).  

Turnbuckle recommends throwing exercise into the mix, and I've been doing that. http://www.longecity...drial-dynamics/

This is Turnbuckle's comment about dosing:

Dosage: I’ve used up to 2 grams of nicotinamide and 5 grams of ribose. This is equivalent to more than 4 grams of nicotinamide riboside, with the advantage that it doesn’t have to be broken down first and thus the onset doesn’t take hours. This is a large dose and I suggest that one work up to it.

He's not kidding about the importance of slowly working up to that kind of dose!

Edited by Empiricus, 28 April 2017 - 06:01 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#1209 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

Did I read that right? You're taking 20 grams of ribose?

Not that it's a big issue--some bodybuilders routinely chow down 60 grams in a day. But why so different from Turnbuckle's ribose:nicotinamide ratio of 2.5:1. How did you arrive at 20:1?

It might be that your pain relief is associated with the ribose alone. If you create a stew of one elephant and one rabbit, the stew tastes a lot like elephant... :) 

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1210 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

How does the reassembly of nicotinamide and riboside occur to make NR? This part of chemistry is interesting.

• Agree x 1

#1211 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

How does the reassembly of nicotinamide and riboside occur to make NR? This part of chemistry is interesting.

I am also very keen to know how the chemistry work that way. 

We all know carbon lead (pencil) is the same ingredient as diamond, but totally different properties and appearance. We can convert carbon lead to diamond via extreme high pressure. So in this case, what do we need to combine N and R into NR? 

Is our gut or intestine has the mechanism/enzyme to do the combination?

N+R->NR ?

NR ->N+R?

H2+O -> H2O water

So if we inhale 2 parts of hydrogen and 1 part of oxygen, do we get water H2O in our body?

Edited by soulprogrammer, 29 April 2017 - 02:12 AM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1212 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Not that it's a big issue--some bodybuilders routinely chow down 60 grams in a day. But why so different from Turnbuckle's ribose:nicotinamide ratio of 2.5:1. How did you arrive at 20:1?

It might be that your pain relief is associated with the ribose alone. If you create a stew of one elephant and one rabbit, the stew tastes a lot like elephant... :)

Yes you did. And thanks for bringing this to my attention.

My own dosage wasn't based on that Turnbuckle quote, but the recommended serving size on the bottle (Life Extension brand) which is 5 tablets.  When I later saw the Turnbuckle post I quoted, I mistakenly equated my 4 tablets with 4 grams (assuming each tablet was 1,000 mg).  However, each tablet is 5,100 mg.  I only checked the bottle again when I wrote my update above.  There I correctly reported a daily intake of 20 grams.

"Recommended" doses tend to be on the small side, and 4 tablets being well within it, I didn't give this matter any thought until I read your reply. As of today I am reducing my intake down to 1 tablet, and may experiment with taking even less. 

Edited by Empiricus, 29 April 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1213 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

Reporting for a friend, first at 500 mg NR, now at 250 mg of NR. This is for the 500 mg level:  

He is obese and says "A clear effect is a significant decrease in anxiety." 

• Informative x 4
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1214 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:40 AM

Empiricus, just FYI, 5 tablets equals 5 grams, not 1 tablet. I took the LEF powder via 5 gm scoop for a couple years, before switching to the cheaper swansons which is by the same supplier. I have some from a different "bulk" supplier, and the texture, and taste seemed different, so I set it aside.

I will be trialing the B3/d-ribose combination 3 times a week prior to intervals while continuing to take 375 mgs of Nicotinamide Riboside each day in the morning.

Also, thanks for sharing your information. I appreciate it.

My own dosage wasn't based on that Turnbuckle quote, but the recommended serving size on the bottle (Life Extension brand) which is 5 tablets.  When I later saw the Turnbuckle post I quoted, I mistakenly equated my 4 tablets with 4 grams (assuming each tablet was 1,000 mg).  However, each tablet is 5,100 mg.  I only checked the bottle again when I wrote my update above.  There I correctly reported a daily intake of 20 grams.

"Recommended" doses tend to be on the small side, and 4 tablets being well within it, I didn't give this matter any thought until I read your reply. As of today I am reducing my intake down to 1 tablet, and may experiment with taking even less. 

Edited by Heisok, 30 April 2017 - 01:33 AM.

• Informative x 1

#1215 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:31 AM

I'm hoping that experiences with nicotinamide + ribose won't be judged as off-topic. I find it interesting and related, and any similarities or differences would be informative to me.

But I am near-certain that not everyone will feel this way... ;) 

• Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1216 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

I'm hoping that experiences with nicotinamide + ribose won't be judged as off-topic. I find it interesting and related, and any similarities or differences would be informative to me.

To my mind this topic is very vulnerable to confusion.  For instance, people with very high NR hopes report wonders, or, if miracles do not occur, they connect pains and aches to NR consumption. Then there are those with a commercial interest trying to make smoke because they see their sales sink because of the rising tide of NR use. Then there are also people who annoy in order to get some attention. We have lost many valuable contributors who felt their voice was lost in the confusion.  So no, I  think we do best by limiting us to NR experiences in this thread.

However, if you decide to open a new thread I would be an interested reader. You may have a valid point and it would give you the opportunity to start afresh with a clear statement about why NAM + Riboside would be as good or better than Niacin/NAM/NMN/NR.

Just my 2 cents...

• Agree x 3

#1217 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Empiricus, just FYI, 5 tablets equals 5 grams, not 1 tablet. I took the LEF powder via 5 gm scoop for a couple years, before switching to the cheaper swansons which is by the same supplier. I have some from a different "bulk" supplier, and the texture, and taste seemed different, so I set it aside.

I will be trialing the B3/d-ribose combination 3 times a week prior to intervals while continuing to take 375 mgs of Nicotinamide Riboside each day in the morning.

Looking at the bottle.  Now I see where in small print it says "amount per serving."  You're right, 5 tablets is 5,100 mg.  So I've been taking about 4grams/day, not 20 grams.

I was hoping it was otherwise because this means this brand is incredibly overpriced.  Good to know Swanson's uses the same manufacturer.  I like the convenience of tablets, although they crumble quickly once you take them out of the bottle. 

Thank you.

• Off-Topic x 1

#1218 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Ah ha! I took another look at the label. Now I see where in small print it says "amount per serving."  You're right, 5 tablets is 5,100 mg.  So I've been taking about 4grams/day, not 20 grams.

This means this HUGE bottle only contains only twenty 5G servings.  It turns out to have been really expensive (over $1.20 per serving). I bought it because I like the convenience of tablets (Although I discovered they turn to dust when exposed to air). Good to know Swanson's uses the same manufacturer.

Thank you for setting me straight. 

Edited by Empiricus, 30 April 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• Off-Topic x 2

#1219 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

To my mind this topic is very vulnerable to confusion.  For instance, people with very high NR hopes report wonders, or, if miracles do not occur, they connect pains and aches to NR consumption. Then there are those with a commercial interest trying to make smoke because they see their sales sink because of the rising tide of NR use. Then there are also people who annoy in order to get some attention. We have lost many valuable contributors who felt their voice was lost in the confusion.  So no, I  think we do best by limiting us to NR experiences in this thread.

However, if you decide to open a new thread I would be an interested reader. You may have a valid point and it would give you the opportunity to start afresh with a clear statement about why NAM + Riboside would be as good or better than Niacin/NAM/NMN/NR.

Just my 2 cents...

At least five people on this thread (myself included) have reported pains in the feet associated with NR consumption. It's interesting that our pains were in the same location on the body.  I posted a summary of these reports here:

http://www.longecity...-29#entry790333

Since my foot pain went away around the time I began taking N + R --in addition to continuing to consume NR -- I though others experiencing the chronic foot pain issue might find my anecdote of interest.  Also, everyone sharing such reports are on this thread.  

I have continued taking NR in addition to N + R.   It may be that it was having taken NR for 5 months continuously rather than having just started N + R that accounts for the pain relief I experienced.  One can't be sure.   Of course, the relief could be something unrelated to either. 

Just my 2 cents...

Turnbuckle already started such a thread which I linked to above. And he helpfully included such a statement as you're describing with links to supporting studies.       

Edited by Empiricus, 30 April 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#1220 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:27 AM

My apologies Empiricus. The way I wrote this makes it seem that everyone reporting pains after NR use is confused. I should have added at least that some complaints may be justified and that all complaints whatsoever deserve careful consideration.

Thanks for pointing out Turnbuckle's thread. That seems the appropriate thread for BigLabRat to post his experiences and I will certainly follow him there.

BTW: have you taken a look at NR prices lately? They are moving lower with gratifying speed.

#1221 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Just my 2 cents...

If I might clarify--I didn't bring up the topic of nicotinamide + ribsoside, but if it hadn't been mentioned here, I would likely have never heard about it. So I was glad Empiricus mentioned it.

I will not mention it on this thread again.

#1222 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

My wife had thick calluses under the front of here feet. Nothing can get rid of it and it keeps growing back.
After taking niagen for one year, she told me that the calluses is almost gone. I think it means that the cells
Under the feet are not as easy to die as before.
  • Informative x 5
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • like x 1

#1223 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

Maybe of some interest

http://dcapharmacy.c...in-nasal-spray/

#1224 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

Maybe of some interest

http://dcapharmacy.c...in-nasal-spray/

Niagen is not stable in water. How do they do that?

#1225 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:15 AM

@soulprogrammer
No pos or neg effects from NR on short 20m meditations. Off topic, theanine however seems to stop my mind wandering
  • Informative x 1

#1226 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:50 AM

Reporting a possible cure for an adverse effect of NR (a symptom that 5 people on this thread had also reported) and posting a correction to a mistake in my original report earned me a total of 6 red flags for being "off topic and pointless".  

I see MikeDC above has 3 red flags for reporting relief from calluses. That's not OK.  

The behavior of a few people on this thread risks sending the wrong signal to people who would like to contribute.  I would urge others to ignore this kind of feedback, and not hesitate to report things.  

Edited by Empiricus, 04 May 2017 - 06:30 AM.

• Agree x 7
  • Good Point x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1

#1227 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

On CDXC yahoo board. A person reported his newly grown toe nails looks much younger than existing parts before
Taking Niagen. The front of his toe nail looks old and the back of his toe nail looks much younger.
  • Informative x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#1228 Empiricus

• 321 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

If NR is having no effect on you...

Certain bottles of NR seem to have far more positive effects on me than other bottles of the same brand.  And that's an understatement.  I am not talking about just slight differences, but a "night and day" difference in the effect: no detectable effect vs tremendous positive effect.  And the dosage is not what makes the difference. One capsule from one bottle has more profound effects than 10 capsules from another bottle.

I had suspected this before, but for a second time I've opened a bottle and just one capsule has had remarkable positive effects on me -- I'm sharper, my appearance is improved, my energy is higher --- whereas I've been taking 3-5 capsules/day from other bottles and the main thing I notice is being more sleepy by evening!  

So far I estimate I've consumed about 20 bottles.  The second bottle had amazing effects on me, whereas the first bottle did nothing.  Bottle #2 is why I continued taking NR.  Bottle #2 is why I continued taking NR in spite of the foot pain that began when I was on bottle #2.   Bottle #20 is effecting me the way bottle #2 effected me: truly amazing results. Like holy sh*t results.   When I switched to the more expensive brand for 2 bottles, the effects were also very positive, but not at the level of bottle #2 and bottle #20.  And for the other bottles of my usual brand, I'm not saying all the other bottles except #2 and #20 were duds. Rather I think there is spectrum wherein some bottles were more effective than others -- and the last several were not so great.  However, bottle #2 and #20 stand out as being superior to all the others.  

I had long wondered why only bottle #2 had incredibly profound effects on me.  I assumed the answer must be that I had become accustomed to NR.  But I could never account for why bottle #1 had done nothing for me.  Now that I'm up to 500mg/day I generally don't feel much from it.  This week I open bottle #20 and I take just 125 mg and WOW.  So I'm back to thinking the bottles really are different.  

Edited by Empiricus, 07 May 2017 - 06:37 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1229 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

Could you share the brands of the products please?
  • Agree x 3

#1230 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

If NR is having no effect on you...

[size=5]Certain bottles of NR seem to have far more positive effects on me than other bottles of the same brand...

Hmm. Could these inconsistencies have anything to do with regulatory responsibilities (like standardization) provided (or not) for consumers of, among other stuff, dietary supplements?

"Dietary supplements are not required to be standardized in the United States. In fact, no legal or regulatory definition exists in the United States for standardization as it applies to dietary supplements. Because of this, the term “standardization” may mean many different things. Some manufacturers use the term standardization incorrectly to refer to uniform manufacturing practices; following a recipe is not sufficient for a product to be called standardized. Therefore, the presence of the word “standardized” on a supplement label does not necessarily indicate product quality."

https://ods.od.nih.g...thProfessional/
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Topic Led By