* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1351 FrankEd

• 148 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

I gave a bottle of HPN NR to a woman, 40 y.o, with severe arthritis (excruciating pain on wrist, ankle, and feet/hand fingers), hoping she felt some relief.

15 days after, she told me she´s not feeling any pain and sleeping like a baby (she had insomnia).

Truly, I don´t know what is happening ´cause I never read anything about NR helping arthritis, and I only gave her the bottle ´cause she insisted a lot.

• Good Point x 1

#1352 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

NR is the best anti inflammation drug you can find. Sirt1 is anti inflammation.
  • Needs references x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1353 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

I wish someone in the audience would have asked him why he's not using NR!

NR gives the same result. He uses NMN because he will make much more money off it! He sold the company he spofe of to SKG for $720mm. 

So far, the only human data out there is that NR with ptersotilbine raises NAD+ by certain percentages at different amounts. We don't know yet if NMN "gives the same result."  

• Off-Topic x 1

#1354 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

There is a small human study by Brenner that showed NR effectively increased NAD+
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1355 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

@MikeDC, This study

• Off-Topic x 1

#1356 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

Yes
  • dislike x 1

#1357 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Has anyone noticed that Guarente and Brenner disagree with each other about NR helping with weight control? In a radio interview I posted  in July, Guarente was asked if NR helped control weight, and he replied: "Not that we are aware of. There is no good evidence of that." Charles Brenner, however, said on a video at Aboutnr.com that NR does help with weight control.

I asked a 48 year old, in shape friend, who has taken Elysium Basis for two years if she had lost weight, and she said yes. She is 5'3" and previously went from 120 lbs to 110lbs through dieting and said she was starving so gave that up. With Basis, and I think at only half the recommended amount of 250 m NR / 50 mg of pterostilbine, she gradually went from 120 lbs to 110 lbs but this time she said she felt great. I wondered based on my weight loss experience with Longevenix (resvertarol with some quercetin) at 500 mg if it was the pterostilbine that made her lose weight. (I cut my 500 mg of resveratrol to 250 mg and my 8% weight loss went right back up at that lower dose.)  

My friend told me a few months ago that her weight increased from 110 lbs to 115 lbs so a net loss of 4%. 

Also, Guarente seems to think pterostilbine has a syneristic effect with NR while Brenner told a group of us at a talk last winter that resveratrol did nothing and he was skeptical that pterostilbine did much of anything.

Anyway, it is interesting that Brenner and Guarente have opposite views about NR and weight control.

Edited by bluemoon, 16 September 2017 - 09:54 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1358 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

Anyone who understands the science behind NR knows it increases metabolism and help with weight loss. I have lost 18lbs. One friend less than 40 started to lose weight taking 125mg. I started to lose weight at 375mg. Another person lost 25 lbs in one month without other effort.

By the way, my glucose was 100 for many years. Now it has dropped to 80s and 90s.

Edited by MikeDC, 16 September 2017 - 10:32 PM.

• Needs references x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1359 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Has anyone noticed that Guarente and Brenner disagree with each other about NR helping with weight control? In a radio interview I posted in July, Guarente was asked if NR helped control weight, and he replied: "Not that we are aware of. There is no good evidence of that." Charles Brenner, however, said on a video at Aboutnr.com that NR does help with weight control.

I asked a 48 year old, in shape friend, who has taken Elysium Basis for two years if she had lost weight, and she said yes. She is 5'3" and previously went from 120 lbs to 110lbs through dieting and said she was starving so gave that up. With Basis, and I think at only half the recommended amount of 250 m NR / 50 mg of pterostilbine, she gradually went from 120 lbs to 110 lbs but this time she said she felt great. I wondered based on my weight loss experience with Longevenix (resvertarol with some quercetin) at 500 mg if it was the pterostilbine that made her lose weight. (I cut my 500 mg of resveratrol to 250 mg and my 8% weight loss went right back up at that lower dose.)

My friend told me a few months ago that her weight increased from 110 lbs to 115 lbs so a net loss of 4%.

Also, Guarente seems to think pterostilbine has a syneristic effect with NR while Brenner told a group of us at a talk last winter that resveratrol did nothing and he was skeptical that pterostilbine did much of anything.

Anyway, it is interesting that Brenner and Guarente have opposite views about NR and weight control.

When it comes to NR I see Brenner as the real deal. Guarente's SIRT war stories of fame are from many many years ago when he fiddled around with yeast.

Edited by stefan_001, 16 September 2017 - 09:58 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1360 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

A recent clinical trial showed Resveratrol does nothing except increasing cholesterol. Read the Resveratrol thread. Brenner was right on.

It is wide spread that scientists just making up data to fit concensus. Most studies are junk. Brenner is a real scientist.

Edited by MikeDC, 16 September 2017 - 10:41 PM.

• Off-Topic x 2
  • Needs references x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#1361 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

Anyone who understands the science behind NR knows it increases metabolism and help with weight loss. I have lost 18lbs. One friend less than 40 started to lose weight taking 125mg. I started to lose weight at 375mg. Another person lost 25 lbs in one month without other effort.

By the way, my glucose was 100 for many years. Now it has dropped to 80s and 90s.

I've had no weight loss at 250 mg of NR after almost a year.  25 lbs in 30 days? I rarely read about weight loss on this thread or on reviews of NR at Amazon.com. Not saying it doesn't happen, though

My experience of resveratrol with a bit of quercitin was (from memory): no change for a week, then a strange reaction that lasted about half a day, then steady weight loss from a usual high of 84 kg down to a typical 82/83 kg but then continued downward to 77 kg, my weight at 22 years old, at around 3/4 of a pound a day without trying. A total of 8% but at 250 mg it went back up just as quickly.

I'll go up to 375 mg of NR and see what happens.

Brenner was incorrect to say resveratrol is garbage. There just were never good trials conducted, although one showed this spring that 50 mg of resveratrol improved ACE inhibitors effectiveness by 20%. 

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1362 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

I've had no weight loss at 250 mg of NR after almost a year.  25 lbs in 30 days? I rarely read about weight loss on this thread or on reviews of NR at Amazon.com. Not saying it doesn't happen, though

My experience of resveratrol with a bit of quercitin was (from memory): no change for a week, then a strange reaction that lasted about half a day, then steady weight loss from a usual high of 84 kg down to a typical 82/83 kg but then continued downward to 77 kg, my weight at 22 years old, at around 3/4 of a pound a day without trying. A total of 8% but at 250 mg it went back up just as quickly.

I'll go up to 375 mg of NR and see what happens.

Brenner was incorrect to say resveratrol is garbage. There just were never good trials conducted, although one showed this spring that 50 mg of resveratrol improved ACE inhibitors effectiveness by 20%. 

• Off-Topic x 1

#1363 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

I used Resveratrol for a while and nothing happened. Same with pterostilbene. Niagen is orders of magnitude better.
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1364 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

The conversation is beginning to drift off-topic.  Please remember, this is about PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with NR.  Please post other NR related topics in the appropriate threads.  Thanks.

Edited by APBT, 18 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

• Agree x 1

#1365 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Here is a gift for peope with prostatitis. I once experimented with Testosterone cream and cause excessive DHT that damaged the nervers in prostate. So I had prostate pain and low grade inflammation.

I use lower dose propesia (0.2 mg per every 3 days) to control DHT. It managed the pain, but never curve it. After taking Niagen for one year, the nerves were repaired and there is no longer any pain and

inflammation is completely gone. My prostate is as healthy as 20 years ago.

• Needs references x 1

#1366 Ximet

• 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Hi Sirs, sorry for ask this here, but well i,m not english native and i can,t understand some info. my question is easy:

i,m on the way

Thorne Research, Niacel-250, Nicotinamide Riboside and Garden of Life, Vitamin Code, 50 & Wiser Men.

i only want take 2 pills or 3 pills a day .  1 of NR and  2 or 1 of Vitamin code.

which is the best  option  to take:

1 NR with the breakfast?

1 Vitamin code in the lunch?

1 vitamin code before sleep?

please help me in try the bes option to take .

thanks

#1367 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

Hi Sirs, sorry for ask this here, but well i,m not english native and i can,t understand some info. my question is easy:

i,m on the way Thorne Research, Niacel-250, Nicotinamide Riboside and Garden of Life, Vitamin Code, 50 & Wiser Men.

i only want take 2 pills or 3 pills a day . 1 of NR and 2 or 1 of Vitamin code.

which is the best option to take:

1 NR with the breakfast?
1 Vitamin code in the lunch?
1 vitamin code before sleep?

please help me in try the bes option to take .

thanks

1 NR and 1 Vitamin with breakfast
1 Vitamin with dinner.

#1368 Ximet

• 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thanks Mike, and not problem take 1NR+1Vitamin together at the same time?

#1369 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

No problem

#1370 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

No problem

Agree with Mike. Ximet any positive things for your health you notice from NR? No worries about the english, many people are not english speakers - use google translate

Edited by stefan_001, 25 September 2017 - 09:09 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#1371 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Update from Chromadex: https://globenewswir...ical-Trial.html

• Off-Topic x 4

#1372 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

The title: "ChromaDex Announces Top-line Results of its Second Human Clinical Trial"

The press release: Nothing new announced

The last line: " The full results of the study will be submitted for publication in a peer review journal shortly."

:sleep:

• Off-Topic x 3
  • Agree x 1

#1373 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

The title: "ChromaDex Announces Top-line Results of its Second Human Clinical Trial"

The press release: Nothing new announced

The last line: " The full results of the study will be submitted for publication in a peer review journal shortly."

:sleep:

I see what you mean Bluemoon. OTOS it is common and the practice not to disclose results prior to peer reviewed publishing (aka the Ingelfinger "rule" if I recollect well). Let's see what they publish.

• Off-Topic x 3

#1374 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

I see what you mean Bluemoon. OTOS it is common and the practice not to disclose results prior to peer reviewed publishing (aka the Ingelfinger "rule" if I recollect well). Let's see what they publish.

What is the point of a press release to say nothing? It is like Apple releasing a press statement last spring saying "We are in the process of making a new iphone for late summer/ early fall." Yeah, we know. We've known for almost a year.

Keep in mind that Elysium put one interesting result on its website weeks after its 120 person trial was completed last July: 250 mg of NR with 50 mg of pterostilbine increased NAD+ levels 40% in healthy 60 to 79 year old. A double dose increased NAD+ by 90%. Yet it has been over a year and the details on health haven't been put up yet.

Chromadex is somewhat different as they've relied on stalling for months. I can see them doing that as they try to position themselves against Elysium, which has been the public leader as well as the highest selling vendor with NR.

• Off-Topic x 3
  • Agree x 2

#1375 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Still waiting for Basis results.  Chromadex no different, probably found out that 300 mg work as well as 1000, and don't want to publish the results.  What I was really interested in the Basis trial was the endurance, stamina, energy numbers on the elderly which were used in there trial.  Chromadex used many different ages, if I'm not mistaken, but that would be nice to know if a 50 yo could stay on the treadmill longer.

Chromadex is positioning themselves to sell direct which means that cost of NR will be rising.  I just bought 6 month supply.  500 mg daily x 180 days = $240

• Off-Topic x 2
  • Agree x 1

#1376 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Still waiting for Basis results.  Chromadex no different, probably found out that 300 mg work as well as 1000, and don't want to publish the results.  What I was really interested in the Basis trial was the endurance, stamina, energy numbers on the elderly which were used in there trial.  Chromadex used many different ages, if I'm not mistaken, but that would be nice to know if a 50 yo could stay on the treadmill longer. 

A previous 12 person ChromaDex trial showed NAD+ levels increased the same amount at 300 mg as 1000 mg for one day. Charles Brenner's 1 person trial (himself) showed that NAD+ rose 170% at 1000 mg for one week.

Chromadex showed a double dose doubled the NAD+ levels for eight weeks

Isn't that earlier ChromaDex study at odds for those that followed?

• Off-Topic x 2

#1377 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Dr. Brenner's study on himself showed that the NAD+ levels were the same at 24 hours for 300 mg and 1000 mg.  This seems to imply that higher doses can only increase NAD+ to a certain level then it levels off.  Combining the 2 NR studies of Basis and Chromadex seem to imply that 500 mg is probably about the right dose.

• Off-Topic x 2

#1378 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

Dr. Brenner's study on himself showed that the NAD+ levels were the same at 24 hours for 300 mg and 1000 mg.  This seems to imply that higher doses can only increase NAD+ to a certain level then it levels off.  Combining the 2 NR studies of Basis and Chromadex seem to imply that 500 mg is probably about the right dose.

I interpret the results the same as you - 500mg a day seems to provide very close to maximum NAD+ increase.  1,000 may boost a bit more, but since it is not clear, no reason to spend twice as much $.

They noted the huge (45x?) boost in NAAD, and theorized that acts as a sort of "overflow pool".  NR won't raise NAD+ beyond a certain point, beyond which excess goes to NAAD.

If so, not really a bad thing, imo.  

Will be very interested to see if NMN has the same behavior in humans.

• Off-Topic x 2

#1379 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

I interpret the results the same as you - 500mg a day seems to provide very close to maximum NAD+ increase.  1,000 may boost a bit more, but since it is not clear, no reason to spend twice as much $. 

what about Brenner's 170% NAD+ increase after a week?

• Off-Topic x 2

#1380 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Trammels paper  on 12 human subjects showed 1000mg resulted in a little higher NAD+ at 8 hours (vs 300 mg), but equal at 24 hours.  

http://alivebynature...optimum-dosage/

(See the yellow highlights in table)

From 12 to 20.3 - That seems to match 170%.

Isn't that the best source for estimating most effective dosage we have so far?

Edited by able, 26 September 2017 - 08:38 PM.

• Off-Topic x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By