Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1411 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

If you had read all of my post for this year, you would have the full and complete picture concerning my self experiment with NR.. You are correct that I started out in March then stopped because I felt nothing and started Rapamycin.. When I restarted NR in August it was because of the overwhelming evidence of NAD repleshiment by NR.. Then I had negative side effects at the daily 500 mg dose and Im continuing the experiment on the intermediate dosing schedule.

#1412 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Why don't you start with 125mg? That will remove the issue of overdosing.
  • Good Point x 2

#1413 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

PAMPAGUY, your other mitophagy comment about cycling NR immediately made me think of Turnbuckles Fission days then Fusion days. I wonder if trying some of the Fusion days techniques when you are off of NR will help overall. I also a while back started cycling NR as apparantly others have. Early in NR experiments (around 2012) some hypothesized that some being tired after taking NR might have been having methylation issues. I think your and also Turnbuckles ideas have revealed a likely cause.

It is a long thread. http://www.longecity...-15#entry829026

If you had read all of my post for this year, you would have the full and complete picture concerning my self experiment with NR.. You are correct that I started out in March then stopped because I felt nothing and started Rapamycin.. When I restarted NR in August it was because of the overwhelming evidence of NAD repleshiment by NR.. Then I had negative side effects at the daily 500 mg dose and Im continuing the experiment on the intermediate dosing schedule.

Edited by Heisok, 03 October 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#1414 poonja

• 111 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Any indication that grapefruit juice might potentiate NR?

#1415 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Any indication that grapefruit juice might potentiate NR?

Since NR isn't metabolized via CYP3A4 I sort of doubt it.

• Agree x 2

#1416 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Here is a video about NAD supplementation from a Phd.   The main thing I got from it was at the end of the video she states that taking NR or NMN once or twice a week may be enough to replenish our NAD stores in the cell. (part of the circadian rhythm of repair at night)   From my previous post, I have started taking NR 3 times a week vs daily.  So far so good, I do not have the fatigue that I had taking it daily.  

• Informative x 2

#1417 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for posting Pampaguy. It's a very clear summary of the present state of things. I just wish she had been a little bit more specific about the bloodtests she did before and after.

#1418 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

She doesn't offer anything we don't already know. The dosing suggestion is pure speculation.

Edited by MikeDC, 10 October 2017 - 10:04 AM.

• Agree x 2

#1419 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for posting Pampaguy. It's a very clear summary of the present state of things. I just wish she had been a little bit more specific about the bloodtests she did before and after.

Yes, thank you for posting that -- one question I have (that has probably been addressed at some point in this forum) is whether it's better to take NR at night or in the morning? I take mine in the morning with the rest of my stack, but in the video, she indicates it might be more effective taken at night. Any opinions/advice?

#1420 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Im personally going to start taking at night my full dose. 500 mg As I said in my other post,

"I have lower energy and be tired from mitophagy when taking a daily dose as you have smaller and less mitochondria after removing damaged ones." We repair ourselves while we sleep. So it would seem logical to take at night. 3 times a week, at night for me.

#1421 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

The reason why taking Niagen in the morning is probably because of circadian clock. NAD+ might be the highest in morning, if you take it in the evening, you interrupt the natural clock cycle

#1422 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Okay, so we have one vote for morning and one for night. Maybe I could split it up? Do half in the AM and half in the PM? 

#1423 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

Okay, so we have one vote for morning and one for night. Maybe I could split it up? Do half in the AM and half in the PM? 

That is what I have been doing for the last four years or so: 125 mg in the mornings and 125 mg later in the day. Suits me fine....

#1424 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

That is what I have been doing for the last four years or so: 125 mg in the mornings and 125 mg later in the day. Suits me fine....

Same thing here.

• Agree x 1

#1425 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Same thing here.

Okay, thank you! I've been thinking of splitting up the pill pile to an AM/PM group anyhow, so I'll give this a try.

#1426 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

I have taken NR multiple ways over the years. I am currently taking it once a day  250 mg in the morning, but only 3 or 4 days a week. I have been doing that since following Turnbuckles thread information.

The sole reason I do not take a second afternoon dose around 4 P.M. is that I had middle of the night wakeup insomnia where I would be up for the day from there. The problem was that I was only getting around 5 hours of sleep. That issue went away by going off of NR for a couple weeks, then switching to once every day dosing.

If NR was taken in the A.M. due to the theory that NAD+ peaks in the AM, then taking NR might be better at bedtime if one was attempting to peak the NR with the NAD+. I thought there was a delay.

As far as a single bedtime dose, I have never tried it that way. It seems to make sense, but I have been sleeping well for a long time now. The test is a bit scary for me, but some report sleeping better, and waking with energy.

Good luck Gayle63.

Edited by Heisok, 10 October 2017 - 06:45 PM.

• Agree x 1

#1427 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

I have taken NR multiple ways over the years. I am currently taking it once a day  250 mg in the morning, but only 3 or 4 days a week. I have been doing that since following Turnbuckles thread information.

The sole reason I do not take a second afternoon dose around 4 P.M. is that I had middle of the night wakeup insomnia where I would be up for the day from there. The problem was that I was only getting around 5 hours of sleep. That issue went away by going off of NR for a couple weeks, then switching to once every day dosing.

If NR was taken in the A.M. due to the theory that NAD+ peaks in the AM, then taking NR might be better at bedtime if one was attempting to peak the NR with the NAD+. I thought there was a delay.

As far as a single bedtime dose, I have never tried it that way. It seems to make sense, but I have been sleeping well for a long time now. The test is a bit scary for me, but some report sleeping better, and waking with energy.

Good luck Gayle63.

I'm one of the fortunate few who sleeps like a rock no matter what, but if anything changes, I'll post it here. I think I will switch magnesium, half the NR dose, PQQ, and maybe a couple others to evening and see if there are any negative side effects. Thank you for your reply! :)

Edited by APBT, 17 October 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#1428 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

#1429 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

When i take regular high NR (1.5/2g ) a day i get mouth ulcers. I start to feel the positive effects but i always notice i get an ulcer at the same time i feel a peak

Edited by Journey2016, 15 October 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#1430 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

From Yahoo CDXC thread.
"Niagen resolved neuropathy-related pain from Lyme Disease: My goal for the past few months has been to tell two people who I don't know about Niagen. Yesterday I talked with a couple near the boat basin at Depoe Bay. The woman was 70 years of age visiting from Toulouse, France. Her son lives in Portland, and on a previous visit that entailed a lot of camping in central Oregon she contracted Lyme Disease. The disease was sopped, but by the time the diagnosis had been done, she suffered permanent nerve damage. At first she was thought to have MS, which shows similar symptoms. Her physician in France recommended a new vitamin (Niagen) which wasn't available in France, so she had her son send it to her. Within 4 months her symptoms was gone and she was again able to hie and walk without pain."
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1431 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

From Yahoo CDXC thread.
"Niagen resolved neuropathy-related pain from Lyme Disease: My goal for the past few months has been to tell two people who I don't know about Niagen. Yesterday I talked with a couple near the boat basin at Depoe Bay. The woman was 70 years of age visiting from Toulouse, France. Her son lives in Portland, and on a previous visit that entailed a lot of camping in central Oregon she contracted Lyme Disease. The disease was sopped, but by the time the diagnosis had been done, she suffered permanent nerve damage. At first she was thought to have MS, which shows similar symptoms. Her physician in France recommended a new vitamin (Niagen) which wasn't available in France, so she had her son send it to her. Within 4 months her symptoms was gone and she was again able to hie and walk without pain."

That's wonderful! I recently recommended it to someone suffering from pain after chemo, as I know there have been some trials showing it might be effective for that. I'm hoping she'll report back with results.

• Informative x 2

#1432 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

There will be an NIH sponsored trial on that soon. Every cancer patient should take Niagen after chemo to repair cells including nerve cells.
  • Off-Topic x 3

#1433 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

There will be an NIH sponsored trial on that soon. Every cancer patient should take Niagen after chemo to repair cells including nerve cells.

I'll keep an eye out for that study, although I guess it could be a year or more before we see results. I'm excited for all the potential for NR therapies.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1434 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Just a quick update. 

I'm now taking 333mg of NR.  This week I decided to cut back to taking this dosage from daily to 3 to 4 days per week.  So, M-W-F and every other Sat.   This is based on a few threads I've read here in the forums. 

My near vision continues to improve.  I can now put my face very close to my high-res computer monitor (the one I'm using to type this reply) and easily make out individual pixels with both left and right eyes.  My far distance remains the same (20/20).  I enjoy looking at my parots feathers in great deail.  He probably wonders why I've been putting him so close to my face.  Not bad for someone approaching 52 y/o who was previously in denial about needing reading glasses!

My hearing improvement may have topped out.  High frequencies don't seem to be improving much.  I wish I had started this experiment with an online hearing test. I just know that I can hear high pitched birds better than I have in years

My rosacea has not returned.

My sudden terrible dandruff problem has not changed and continues to be an embarrassing nuisance. Perhaps with the new NR dosage schedule it will disappear.

• Informative x 1

#1435 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

I don’t think NR can cause Dandruff. Have you tried to fix it with dandruff shampoos?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Agree x 1

#1436 MoreGooderFuture

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

I don’t think NR can cause Dandruff. Have you tried to fix it with dandruff shampoos?

Of course! I've tried them all.  None of them seem to help. 

#1437 Oakman

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

Of course! I've tried them all.  None of them seem to help. 

You might want to try Nizoral, it'll be a bit hard to find, just ask for it. The non-prescription version works about as well as the prescription version (1% vs. 2%)

#1438 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

I have ordered all the supplements for my Fission/Fusion experiment.  I will be using NR and Stearic Acid.(only 1 day a week)  Seems the stearic acid is a waxy substance, and that will be different ingesting it.  2 days Fission then 2 days Fusion with 3 days off at first.  Working my way up to a weekly 3+3 with 1 day off in time.  I found broccoli sprout extract, 500 mg (per capsule) with 5% sulforaphane taking 2 capsules.

I have been taking 500 mg NR twice a week until I get started.  I would like to say that the 500 mg kicks my ass for that day.  Afraid of what 2-3 gm will do.  I feel really tired and out of it when I take the NR for most of the day.  Clearing out those Zombies is hard work.

Is there anything I can do to help with the feeling of being wiped out??  All I do is lay around and over eat.

#1439 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Pampaguy, I think you are overcomplicating things which ultimately will lead to disappointment. It is true that mitochondria go into fusion and fission, but these are polarities in an incredibly complex system of checks and balances in various parts of the body. These forums are plagued by mechanistic speculation and brazen assertions about this subject. That may have led you to believe that there are practical ways forward regarding this subject.

Also: if 500mg NR makes you tired, simply stop for one or two days and restart with 125mg.

• Good Point x 3
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1440 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Pampaguy, I think you are overcomplicating things which ultimately will lead to disappointment. It is true that mitochondria go into fusion and fission, but these are polarities in an incredibly complex system of checks and balances in various parts of the body. These forums are plagued by mechanistic speculation and brazen assertions about this subject. That may have led you to believe that there are practical ways forward regarding this subject.

Also: if 500mg NR makes you tired, simply stop for one or two days and restart with 125mg.

I totally agree. Let’s not infest this thread with the fusion/fission nonessnse. When we get old our mitochandria gets fragmented and it’s ability to perform regular mitochandrial dynamics diminished. Taking NR will restore the regular mitochandrial dynamics and fusion and fission balance. To use chemicals to artificially push it to either way will just harm you.
  • Needs references x 5
  • Good Point x 3
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By