nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1741 chavoc

• 7 posts
  • 7 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:17 AM

Just joined up. I'm 36, was diagnosed with T2 diabetes around 6 years ago. Had an A1C of 12.8 at the time, dropped it to 4.9 in a three months on the carnivore diet. I have been controlling it with a mostly keto diet since then. I had obviously suffered some nervous system damage but nothing beyond pins and needles. Also started having memory issues around the time I was diagnosed (which is awful, as I am self employed in manufacturing and have to remember an awful lot of small details when running a CNC machine!). Also lost a lot of leg muscle and strength in general, have had perpetually low energy levels, etc.

I started taking NR(Niagen) and Sulforaphane on top of the R-ALA I was already taking about a month and a half ago.

Positives

Much improved energy levels

Better memory

Vision improvement (I fly FPV drones as a hobby and had to 3d print a spacer for my goggles, as I was unable to focus on the screen without it. I no longer need that spacer)

Quite dramatic increase in leg muscle definition.

Large increase in strength as measured by my ability to easily lift things for work that I was struggling with before.

Negatives:

I get a pretty large energy crash around 6pm every day.

My blood sugar actually increased pretty dramatically the first two weeks but has since dropped back to where it was.

How much of this I can attribute to NR and the other supplements I am not sure, as I quit smoking after 15 years not long before I started taking them, but hopefully time will tell.

I am very sensitive to sharp increases in blood sugar, they typically make me feel very tired, mentally sluggish and generally awful but before I started Broccomax in combination with NR I tried having a few high carb meals and despite blood glucose peaking at 225 I felt completely normal, which I found interesting.

My girlfriend started NR the same time I did and has had less dramatic effects but a definite increase in energy levels.

• Informative x 4

#1742 livingguy

• 57 posts
  • 2 â‚®

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I have been taking NR for at least 5 years now (would have to read way back in this thread to find out). For a very long period 200 or 300 mgs/day and 500 mg since dr. Brenner said he takes that much. I am now 66 years old.

Unfortunate circumstances made NR unavailable to me five weeks ago and I expected to feel slumping energy after a week or so but there was no noticeable effect. One week ago I received NR(LEF) and restarted taking 500 mgs of which 100mg sublingual by opening the capsule. Once again: no noticeable change.

Today I received NMN(AlivebyNature) and I intend to take 300mg NR(1 sublingual) and 200mgs NMN (1 sublingual). If anything useful emerges I will be sure to post it in both personal experiences threads ;) .

This may not sound too enthusiastic about NR but perhaps I have NR to thank that I feel en look very young for my age. Even to such an extend that acquaintances who don't know my age expect 'that younger guy' to come round when heavy furniture has to be moved. These people are years younger than me, it's just not fair! :)

LEF capsules have Silica or Silicon dioxide do not take them sublingual. 

• Agree x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1743 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • 267 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

Just joined up. I'm 36, was diagnosed with T2 diabetes around 6 years ago. Had an A1C of 12.8 at the time, dropped it to 4.9 in a three months on the carnivore diet. I have been controlling it with a mostly keto diet since then. I had obviously suffered some nervous system damage but nothing beyond pins and needles. Also started having memory issues around the time I was diagnosed (which is awful, as I am self employed in manufacturing and have to remember an awful lot of small details when running a CNC machine!). Also lost a lot of leg muscle and strength in general, have had perpetually low energy levels, etc.

I started taking NR(Niagen) and Sulforaphane on top of the R-ALA I was already taking about a month and a half ago.

Positives

Much improved energy levels

Better memory

Vision improvement (I fly FPV drones as a hobby and had to 3d print a spacer for my goggles, as I was unable to focus on the screen without it. I no longer need that spacer)

Quite dramatic increase in leg muscle definition.

Large increase in strength as measured by my ability to easily lift things for work that I was struggling with before.

Negatives:

I get a pretty large energy crash around 6pm every day.

My blood sugar actually increased pretty dramatically the first two weeks but has since dropped back to where it was.

How much of this I can attribute to NR and the other supplements I am not sure, as I quit smoking after 15 years not long before I started taking them, but hopefully time will tell.

I am very sensitive to sharp increases in blood sugar, they typically make me feel very tired, mentally sluggish and generally awful but before I started Broccomax in combination with NR I tried having a few high carb meals and despite blood glucose peaking at 225 I felt completely normal, which I found interesting.

My girlfriend started NR the same time I did and has had less dramatic effects but a definite increase in energy levels.

Interesting - what was the NR dosage used? The recommended 2x125mg or higher?

#1744 chavoc

• 7 posts
  • 7 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Interesting - what was the NR dosage used? The recommended 2x125mg or higher?

Yes, 2x125mg Niagen brand first thing in the morning, with 100mg of Na-RALA then 1x BroccoMax after breakfast and 1 more in the afternoon. I'll be doing 1 month on and 2 weeks off of the NR going forward. Will see how I feel during the break period.

#1745 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Glad to hear you have such great results!   Do you think you can attribute this to NR though?   I'd hate to think that we are giving NR so much "buzz"  when really there are so many coinciding factors.   But hey,  whatever works.   Did yr doc put you on metformin?  

#1746 chavoc

• 7 posts
  • 7 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

It's hard to say really. That's why I added I had quit smoking recently. There is a definite effect on NAD in diabetics which could explain the impact it seemed to have on me but I am not going back to 2 packs a day to find out!

I was put on metformin but stopped taking it within a month. It made my hair fall out like crazy and keto, if you can stick to it, is really all that's necessary (or was in my case, which was pretty severe)

Glad to hear you have such great results! Do you think you can attribute this to NR though? I'd hate to think that we are giving NR so much "buzz" when really there are so many coinciding factors. But hey, whatever works. Did yr doc put you on metformin?

#1747 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts
  • -457 â‚®

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Someone I introduced Niagen to reduced his A1C from 6.4 to 5.9 in 3 weeks. Metformin couldn’t keep his A1C normal.
  • Ill informed x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1748 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts
  • 632 â‚®

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Someone I introduced Niagen to reduced his A1C from 6.4 to 5.9 in 3 weeks. Metformin couldn’t keep his A1C normal.

Since A1C is basically a 100 day running average of hemoglobin glycation, I'm really surprised that you'd see a 0.5 point drop in only three weeks.  If the Niagen is responsible, you should seen further (fairly dramatic) reductions over the next 11 weeks.   If not, I think you are just looking at test to test variation.   

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1749 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts
  • -457 â‚®

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

Since A1C is basically a 100 day running average of hemoglobin glycation, I'm really surprised that you'd see a 0.5 point drop in only three weeks.  If the Niagen is responsible, you should seen further (fairly dramatic) reductions over the next 11 weeks.   If not, I think you are just looking at test to test variation.   

He will do his next test in June. I will update.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#1750 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

yeah I figured it was just test to test variation,   or at least I'd check that again.   And that sucks,   metformin making the hair fall out!   It kind of makes sense --  I mean when you lose weight,  change diet,   etc.,   those hormones change and usually it ends up in hair fall.    Like  after giving birth,   they call it the dread shed.   Although thyroid is even worse.   Interesting to note about metformin -- I'll let friends know it could happen.   We were thinking of trying metformin for life extension,   not for diabetes though.

#1751 Phoebus

• 851 posts
  • 237 â‚®

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

so what has been folks experience with HOW to take NR? 

empty stomach? with coffee? with fat? with a meal? sublingual? 

I would love to do sublingual but there doesn't seem to be a pure NR product on the market. Does anyone have a source for a pure NR powder? 

is there a problem with doing HPN  NR sublingual? i mean it has microcrystyline cellulose in it, not sure if that would work or not. 

• Off-Topic x 1

#1752 Oakman

• 1,221 posts
  • 1,565 â‚®

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

so what has been folks experience with HOW to take NR? 

empty stomach? with coffee? with fat? with a meal? sublingual? 

I would love to do sublingual but there doesn't seem to be a pure NR product on the market. Does anyone have a source for a pure NR powder? 

is there a problem with doing HPN  NR sublingual? i mean it has microcrystyline cellulose in it, not sure if that would work or not. 

In the last nearly two years, I've taken NR in all the ways you've mentioned. Unlike some, I haven't found significant difference in feeling or effect. So now for convenience and enjoyment, I take NR with breakfast, which always includes high fiber, 1/2 cup coffee, fat, carbs, a good amt of high quality non-meat protein and lots of other supplements. I'm a proponent of starting the day with a the most significant nutrient meal of the day.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1753 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

I take it on an empty stomach usually with coffee in the morning. Instantly noticed a difference when I started taking it (HPN).

I have health issues and think those that will notice it most will be lacking in NAD and older ( I am 56 years old).
Younger people with a natural  youth sustained level of NAD will probably not notice that much unless they may have NAD related issues, but I cant see it being a bad thing to take either way.

Just my 2 cents.

• Informative x 1

#1754 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:00 AM

Sorry, I cant access this but I'm sure it's very interesting. I have a heart problem and this is mainly why I take NAD.

"Diguet et al5 report EXITING data suggesting that supplementation with a NAD+ precursor, nicotinamide riboside (NR), reduces cardiac dysfunction in preclinical models of heart failure."

http://circ.ahajourn...7/21/2274.short

#1755 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • 267 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:52 AM

Sorry, I cant access this 

Sci-hub is your friend: http://sci-hub.tw/ht...NAHA.117.032626

• like x 2

#1756 Boopy!

• 201 posts
  • 15 â‚®

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:47 AM

hmm I stil am waiting to feel some kind of effect from Niagen.   I am always tired and depressed and was hoping it might help,  at least with the weak and tired feeling part.   I mean,  I didn't really expect it to since I am dealing with extreme stress at the moment --  as in life-threatening stuff.   But,  I am giving it one more month of hope.   It's too expensive to take without knowing just how essential it is for one's health,   imo.   Unless people enjoy throwing money at already rich pharm.   companies who stand to gain quite a bit from publishing the most positive reports on NR.....

So far have not noticed a difference after one month.   Really,   none.   I have lost way too much weight from stress (cannot eat when stressed)  so I really hope it isn't making me do that.    If so it's not worth it for sure,   some of us need all the fat we've got.

• Good Point x 1

#1757 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • 19 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

I changed NR to Thorne. I have been taking 2 x 125 mg over 1 month. I have lost about 4 kg over 4 weeks or so. Does it happen to any of you?

Diet & exercising is  more or less the same.

Edited by ryukenden, 01 June 2018 - 08:13 AM.

• Informative x 1

#1758 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • 245 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:30 AM

LEF capsules have Silica or Silicon dioxide do not take them sublingual. 

I am very  much aware of this and do not mean to advise anyone to do it. However, I decided to take this risk after recent indications that NR oral bioavailability is low. Where I live LEF NR is at the moment the easiest brand to buy as well as the cheapest. I would prefer HPN but prices as well as shipping costs seem to have gone up.

• unsure x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1759 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts
  • -457 â‚®

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:50 AM

I changed NR to Thorne. I have been taking 2 x 125 mg over 1 month. I have lost about 4 kg over 4 weeks or so. Does it happen to any of you?

Diet & exercising is more or less the same.

Yes, it happened to some friends including me. I only lost weight after increasing dose to 375mg. Each person is different. I wake up early with higher doses. So I dropped the dose to 250mg and seems to sleep longer.

hmm I stil am waiting to feel some kind of effect from Niagen. I am always tired and depressed and was hoping it might help, at least with the weak and tired feeling part. I mean, I didn't really expect it to since I am dealing with extreme stress at the moment -- as in life-threatening stuff. But, I am giving it one more month of hope. It's too expensive to take without knowing just how essential it is for one's health, imo. Unless people enjoy throwing money at already rich pharm. companies who stand to gain quite a bit from publishing the most positive reports on NR.....

So far have not noticed a difference after one month. Really, none. I have lost way too much weight from stress (cannot eat when stressed) so I really hope it isn't making me do that. If so it's not worth it for sure, some of us need all the fat we've got.

Stress can consume lots of NAD+. You might try increasing the dose. NR has worked for so many people and it is not placebo. It is just a matter of finding the right dose to generate noticable effects.

Edited by MikeDC, 01 June 2018 - 12:01 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1760 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • 94 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

I have a heart problem and this is mainly why I take NAD. 

Does anyone know which heart failure/NR human trial Charles Brenner was referring to when he said on a podcast a few weeks ago that he knew the trial results but couldn't discuss them yet?

#1761 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • 245 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

What podcast was that, Bluemoon? It might be about this one?

https://clinicaltria...ord/NCT03423342

#1762 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • 19 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:10 PM

Yes, it happened to some friends including me. I only lost weight after increasing dose to 375mg. Each person is different. I wake up early with higher doses. So I dropped the dose to 250mg and seems to sleep longer.
Stress can consume lots of NAD+. You might try increasing the dose. NR has worked for so many people and it is not placebo. It is just a matter of finding the right dose to generate noticable effects.

Ok, Mike.

Thanks

#1763 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • 28 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

NR has worked for so many people and it is not placebo. It is just a matter of finding the right dose to generate noticable effects.

The fact that a lot of people report effects does NOT mean it's not placebo. Or if it does, then homeopathy is not placebo, and energy healing is not placebo, as they have also "worked" for a lot of people. Hundreds of thousands of people swear by acupuncture, as do hundreds of books, therapists and doctors. Yet no studies have been able to prove actual health effects for it compared to placebo or sham acupuncture. Because it's placebo.

So now we are supposed to believe that NR is a miracle drug just because a few dozen people report positive effects that could be attributed to a bunch of different things. Weight loss? I have lost several kilos over the last few months. Yes, I have taken NR but I have also walked 7-8 km almost every day and eaten less. Yes I feel more energetic, but it's also summer and I have exercised more and lost nearly 10 kg of fat. So yeah, I could attribute the energy levels to 250 mg of NR, but more likely it's due to sun light, exercise and weight loss. Personally, I don't think NR does much anything for me. I don't feel any difference during the days I take NR and when I don't.

No matter how much you want to personally believe in it, what we need are several placebo-controlled double-blind studies with enough participants and statistically relevant results to tell if the effects or NR are or are not placebo.

EDIT: I would like the person who "disagrees" to tell me exactly WHY they disagree. If they have the balls to engage in a discussion instead of just mindlessly clicking ratings buttons.

Edited by Captain Obvious, 01 June 2018 - 08:10 PM.

• Agree x 6
  • Disagree x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#1764 midas

• 417 posts
  • 82 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

The fact that a lot of people report effects does NOT mean it's not placebo. Or if it does, then homeopathy is not placebo, and energy healing is not placebo, as they have also "worked" for a lot of people. Hundreds of thousands of people swear by acupuncture, as do hundreds of books, therapists and doctors. Yet no studies have been able to prove actual health effects for it compared to placebo or sham acupuncture. Because it's placebo.

So now we are supposed to believe that NR is a miracle drug just because a few dozen people report positive effects that could be attributed to a bunch of different things. Weight loss? I have lost several kilos over the last few months. Yes, I have taken NR but I have also walked 7-8 km almost every day and eaten less. Yes I feel more energetic, but it's also summer and I have exercised more and lost nearly 10 kg of fat. So yeah, I could attribute the energy levels to 250 mg of NR, but more likely it's due to sun light, exercise and weight loss. Personally, I don't think NR does much anything for me. I don't feel any difference during the days I take NR and when I don't.

No matter how much you want to personally believe in it, what we need are several placebo-controlled double-blind studies with enough participants and statistically relevant results to tell if the effects or NR are or are not placebo.

EDIT: I would like the person who "disagrees" to tell me exactly WHY they disagree. If they have the balls to engage in a discussion instead of just mindlessly clicking ratings buttons.

Well, the fact that it is shown to raise NAD by 60% and NAD is needed for pretty much everything sort of kicks that negative view into the weeds. Age and state of health will have a lot to do with what we experience as individuals with NR. Some of us will probably keep a good NAD pool longer than others as we age, so it will all be subjective for us as individuals.
If the body only uses what it needs when it comes to NAD and you already have sufficient then you probably wont notice much if any difference.

I personally have much more energy, both physical and mental, feel much better generally and and have far greater clarity of mind since taking NR (250mg HPN). The only other supplement I take is 200mg of CoQ10.
I am 57 years old, have Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The effects I feel ARE NOT placebo

• Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 2
  • like x 1

#1765 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts
  • -457 â‚®

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

Well, the fact that it is shown to raise NAD by 60% and NAD is needed for pretty much everything sort of kicks that negative view into the weeds. Age and state of health will have a lot to do with what we experience as individuals with NR. Some of us will probably keep a good NAD pool longer than others as we age, so it will all be subjective for us as individuals.
If the body only uses what it needs when it comes to NAD and you already have sufficient then you probably wont notice much if any difference.
I personally have much more energy, both physical and mental, feel much better generally and and have far greater clarity of mind since taking NR (250mg HPN). The only other supplement I take is 200mg of CoQ10.
I am 57 years old, have Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The effects I feel ARE NOT placebo

I have tried all sorts of supplements and only NR gives me placebo effects. I will take it placebo or real. How long placebo effects last? It has been two years and it is still working.

No matter how high you NAD+ is at baseline, you will benefit from the increased NAD+. The flux for NAD+ dependent reactions such Sirtuin and PARPs are directly proportional to the level of NAD+. Feeling it or not you are getting great benefits.
  • Needs references x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1766 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts
  • 225 â‚®

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

My recommendation is that you stop using NR. Seriously why do you keep taking it? My recommendation, start your own experiment and drop the NR immediately and compare your energy and walking distances to how do you next year summer? Are you upto it or are you too chicken to stop using NR despite your criticism?

Edited by stefan_001, 02 June 2018 - 01:09 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1767 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts
  • -457 â‚®

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:04 PM

My recommendation is that you stop using NR. Seriously why do you keep taking it? My recommendation, start your own experiment and drop the NR immediately and compare your energy and walking distances to how do you next year summer? Are upto it or are you too chicken to stop using NR despite your criticism?

Agree. Talk is cheap. If one doesn’t believe In NR’s benefits, don’t take it. The science is all there for the case of increasing NAD+. Great discoveries are always met with skeptics. The smart ones embrace it. The not so smart ones fight against it.
  • dislike x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#1768 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • 94 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

What podcast was that, Bluemoon? It might be about this one?

https://clinicaltria...ord/NCT03423342

I assumed it was that one but wasn't sure. I hope the results are made public soon as there are 5 million heart failure patients in the U.S. alone and many may benefit from taking NR.

Brenner mentions that he knows the results here at 35:30

http://www.llamapodc...harles-brenner/

#1769 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • 94 â‚®
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

The Elysium study was double blind and had enough participants to get statistically significant results with some tests.  The U of Colorado study had fewer participants but positive effects were still observed with blood pressure among those with pre-hypertension. While a larger trial is better, small trials cans still show something is not a placebo. 

The fact that my hair has grown much faster since taking 250 mg of NR is not a placebo effect.

• Agree x 2

#1770 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts
  • 225 â‚®

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:49 PM

I assumed it was that one but wasn't sure. I hope the results are made public soon as there are 5 million heart failure patients in the U.S. alone and many may benefit from taking NR.

Brenner mentions that he knows the results here at 35:30

http://www.llamapodc...harles-brenner/

My mom 78 years old had a heart attack, probably already having heart problems a long time as they found a genetic issue. Whether NR kept her going longer nobody knows. What I do know is that her heart was at 35% after the attack and the doctors indicated that improvement should not be expected. In the next test it was above 40% and in the last test (some 6 months after the incident) the doctor was very surprised himself as it was above 60% which puts her above the lower limit of normal for her age. She restarted NR couple weeks after the incident.

My dad had serious biking accident couple years back, fell on his head really hard, was out for an hour and taken to hospital in ambulance. He had just taken his NR dose before it happened. They did couple brain scans and I remember very clearly doctors coming to ask two times very specifically what his age was because his brain pulled through well.

There are plenty of clowns on this board that spout criticism, sceptisism and wage some sort of holy mission. To those I say I am very happy I am not like you and I have gotten my parents on NR as well as myself without knowing for sure it would help. Ever since they started they feel more energetic. The same applies for me along with other benefts. The reality is that you folks who discourage people from trying may prevent some people reading here from trying it and in that way you may rob them from a few extra healthy years of life.

EDIT: to the dislike rater (and the ones that come after you) its fine you make your own choices, voice your opinion as you wish, but that will not influence mine.

Edited by stefan_001, 02 June 2018 - 03:04 PM.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By