* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1801 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:09 AM

And to the person who claimed stuff about hair growth, and that not being placebo, I would ask: How large was the increase in hair growth? 20%, 100%? How did you measure the hair growth? What's your baseline measurement and from how long time period? Is the growth rate constant throughout the year, year in year out? If not, what's the variance? If you haven't measured those, then how exactly would you know if it's placebo or not, or if it's due to some other factors that you simply haven't figured into the equation?

"The positive effects I experienced from taking expensive health product X are in fact just placebo", said no-one ever. 

We all make our own choices. If it doesnt help for you perhaps you have an unlucky genetic make up.

Wrt hair regrowth, dont know who made the comment. But:

- I have taken 3+ years of pictures. I have hundreds. Ever since I started NR

- recovery is slow and constant, never stopped

- I am pretty sure my hair thickened, but I measure by comparing hairline. Its slowly regrowing. It not only stopped my hairline from retreating as I was getting balder but has since recovered a bit more than 1 cm. Very satisfied with it. I hoped my hairline would stabilize, this was unexpected. I now believe it will regrow another 1 cm as I can see new tiny hairs that overtime convert into real hair.

Edited by stefan_001, 10 June 2018 - 11:15 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 2

#1802 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

Thank you. I saw that.

But my reaction is not one of being tired (at that dose) but one of feeling sedated, which is different.

I am now using both NR and NMN, and I think I may be finding the right balance for me. Another week or two and I'll know more.

I dont want to be pessimistic but using NR / NMN at so low doses (10s of mg's) is unlikely  to do much for your health. Ultimately with boosting NAD+ it is not about what you feel but about raising the NAD+ level so SIRTs etc can do their repair activities. Those effects you don't notice is some days or weeks but over time should help slow aging.

Edited by stefan_001, 10 June 2018 - 11:39 AM.

• Needs references x 4
  • Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1803 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

I'm not an expert but I fully agree. I wouldn't imagine that microdosing is a thing for vitamins.

• Agree x 5
  • Disagree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#1804 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

We all make our own choices. If it doesnt help for you perhaps you have an unlucky genetic make up.

- I am pretty sure my hair thickened, but I measure by comparing hairline. Its slowly regrowing. It not only stopped my hairline from retreating as I was getting balder but has since recovered a bit more than 1 cm. Very satisfied with it. I hoped my hairline would stabilize, this was unexpected. I now believe it will regrow another 1 cm as I can see new tiny hairs that overtime convert into real hair.

Thank you for your experiences. It would be very helpful to see pictures of the hairline so each of us can judge by himself. It would also help to see the full list of supplements (with amount/day) and topical hair lotions you used during that time. Could you provide that?

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1805 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Wow, this level of butt-hurt and strawmanning I would have expected on a pseudoscience forum, but not here.

The argument from MikeDC was that "NR has worked for so many people and it is not placebo.", to which I responded with:

"The fact that a lot of people report effects does NOT mean it's not placebo. Or if it does, then homeopathy is not placebo, and energy healing is not placebo, as they have also "worked" for a lot of people. Hundreds of thousands of people swear by acupuncture, as do hundreds of books, therapists and doctors. Yet no studies have been able to prove actual health effects for it compared to placebo or sham acupuncture. Because it's placebo."

So is that true or not true? If not, why not?

I did NOT say that people don't experience effects from taking NR. I said we don't know yet whether those are placebo or due to something else. I did not also say there are no studies, I said we need more ("several") studies. Btw, even the scientists studying a particular issue are susceptible to that. That's why they do double-blind trials, and not just one or two.

For the record (because someone made a big point about it), I have not taken NR for at least two weeks since I left for a vacation, did not notice any effects from stopping it either and unless more clinical trials come out showing benefits to healthy middle-agers, I won't be buying more of it either. So what does that prove exactly? Absolutely nothing. That's the whole point.

And to the person who claimed stuff about hair growth, and that not being placebo, I would ask: How large was the increase in hair growth? 20%, 100%? How did you measure the hair growth? What's your baseline measurement and from how long time period? Is the growth rate constant throughout the year, year in year out? If not, what's the variance? If you haven't measured those, then how exactly would you know if it's placebo or not, or if it's due to some other factors that you simply haven't figured into the equation?

"The positive effects I experienced from taking expensive health product X are in fact just placebo", said no-one ever.

Stop taking NR and we will talk in 10 years. Lots of people get rejuvenation effects. But the real deal with NR is maintenance of health.

If you don’t believe in NR, stay off this thread. This is personal experience thread.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • dislike x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#1806 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

I started taking 125 mg of NR in October 2016  then increased to 250 mg in January 2017. In April 2017, I got a haircut and the thickness of my hair was uncanny. I noticed that the hair on the back of my  head was thicker and on the sides two small "bushes" of hair were thicker, and it looked sort of funny before the haircut. I asked a friend, who is a scientist, if he noticed anything different with my hair, and he laughed: Yes, you have a full head of hair again!" I asked him a few months later and he said it was obvious. I asked another friend about my hair, and she said: "Wow!" I didn't expect my hair to change at all. Elysium's co-founder Leonard Guarente told a reporter that his finger nails grew faster. Charles Brenner had commented on hair growth, and he said that hair may be growing faster but not more hair but that he wasn't sure. in my case, faster growth is obvious but would add maybe 20% more hair. I'd guess in places that are completely bald there would be no growth.

The idea that I wouldn't know if it was a placebo or not if I don't have a measured baseline and can't say variance over a year (it seem like zero) is unscientific. So is the idea that you need several trials to understand what NR is doing to humans.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1807 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

Stop taking NR and we will talk in 10 years. Lots of people get rejuvenation effects. But the real deal with NR is maintenance of health.

If you don’t believe in NR, stay off this thread. This is personal experience thread.

Having trouble with reading comprehension, MikeDC? I just told you my personal experience. Instead you failed to answer my question. Twice.

Don't worry, I'll stay off once you stop making ridiculous false claims. Since that's unlikely though, I'll probably have to keep pointing them out.

PS. "If you don’t believe in NR" Really? I thought this is supposed to be a science based forum, not a faith based one.

Edited by Captain Obvious, 11 June 2018 - 11:00 AM.

• Agree x 6
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1808 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

The idea that I wouldn't know if it was a placebo or not if I don't have a measured baseline and can't say variance over a year (it seem like zero) is unscientific.

So... the fact that you haven't measured any of those variables is somehow scientific then? How does that work? 

So is the idea that you need several trials to understand what NR is doing to humans.

Really, how is that unscientific? Almost everything in supplement and medical industry needs several human trials to even figure out IF something works or if it has side-effects, not to mention HOW it works. In fact a lot of assumptions in nutritional research have been shown to be untrue even after decades of research and dozens of human trials, simply because there are so many variables in the human physiology and metabolism.

But, keep believing. We have plenty of examples of supplements supposed to have been the real deal in anti-aging, only later to be shown either to be ineffective or even potentially harmful. Yet a lot of people were certain they were getting incredible results from them at the time.

I find it quite ironic that people like MikeDC often use resveratrol as a example of this, yet keep pushing NR with even LESS evidence. Hope springs eternal.

Edited by Captain Obvious, 11 June 2018 - 11:11 AM.

• Well Written x 3
  • Ill informed x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1809 TMNMK

• 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

I don't know how much was published on resveratrol as I never followed it. Yes more research the better I'm sure most (all?) would agree, that's moot. The best thing about Longecity in my opinion is the self-experimentation that takes place here. Obviously Captain Obvious, a lot of folks here will jump into things without much research to back it; that's kinda what they do here. Some will push and some will retract, that's kinda what humans do everywhere, no news there. 

But in the extremely off chance that someone reading these forums is looking for a collection of research on NR, this is a pretty good collection: http://aboutnad.com/...research-on-nr/

(I know the vast majority of us know this, but for newcomers anyway)

Edited by TMNMK, 11 June 2018 - 01:27 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1810 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

But how do you know it is the NR that is responsible for the effect noted?

Could you post your entire regimen with doses taken?

Thanks!

• Agree x 4
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1811 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

So... the fact that you haven't measured any of those variables is somehow scientific then? How does that work? 

Really, how is that unscientific? Almost everything in supplement and medical industry needs several human trials to even figure out IF something works or if it has side-effects, not to mention HOW it works. In fact a lot of assumptions in nutritional research have been shown to be untrue even after decades of research and dozens of human trials, simply because there are so many variables in the human physiology and metabolism.

But, keep believing. We have plenty of examples of supplements supposed to have been the real deal in anti-aging, only later to be shown either to be ineffective or even potentially harmful. Yet a lot of people were certain they were getting incredible results from them at the time.

I find it quite ironic that people like MikeDC often use resveratrol as a example of this, yet keep pushing NR with even LESS evidence. Hope springs eternal.

No, what you are saying is unscientific since you claim that since I don't have specific measurements, I can't say whether or not it is a placebo. You also say something else may be making my hair grow faster/more but what else could possibly cause that? Hair can fall out due to stress but hair does not suddenly grow because a person starts to relax after taking yoga classes - and I haven't taken those.

If David Sinclair gives a  mouse NMN then places it on a treadmill and says that it runs faster than other mice has has seen run, he doesn't need to measure how much faster if he can clearly see a difference. Of course, for a paper you would measure it, but it doesn't make his claim unscientific.  In my case, Charles Brenner has discussed what he thinks is going on with NR and hair growth and added he isn't surprised due to a mechanism I didn't understand. 

By the way, what are some of the "plenty of examples" of all the supplements people thought were giving anti-aging results but were shown to be ineffective and/or dangerous? I have never heard of any. 

#1812 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

But how do you know it is the NR that is responsible for the effect noted?

Could you post your entire regimen with doses taken?

Thanks!

Why is this difficult? If Stephen_1 didn't change his regimen then we know his hair growth was due to NR. 

• unsure x 1

#1813 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:53 PM

No, what you are saying is unscientific since you claim that since I don't have specific measurements, I can't say whether or not it is a placebo. You also say something else may be making my hair grow faster/more but what else could possibly cause that? Hair can fall out due to stress but hair does not suddenly grow because a person starts to relax after taking yoga classes - and I haven't taken those.

If David Sinclair gives a  mouse NMN then places it on a treadmill and says that it runs faster than other mice has has seen run, he doesn't need to measure how much faster if he can clearly see a difference. Of course, for a paper you would measure it, but it doesn't make his claim unscientific.  In my case, Charles Brenner has discussed what he thinks is going on with NR and hair growth and added he isn't surprised due to a mechanism I didn't understand. 

And you can definitely rule out the placebo effect when it comes to mice.............

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1814 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

I want underline TNMK's point that LC is not really science based. We could call it science derived, in the sense that peope try out things for which there seems to be some positive indication.

Our thread here is totally personal, over the years we all posted what we thought were effects, good or bad(joint pains!), always assuming there could be a (negative or positive) placebo effect. And heck, even placebo isn't what it used to be:

http://www.iflscienc...-placebos-work/ Where is the world going to? :)

Edging back to topic I can report that at 66 I have a full head of grey/white hair. Barbers tell me I have particularly beautiful hair. It could be NR but it could also be spermidine or sulforaphane(see the LC threads), I don't know. On the downside: my hair and nails grow at an annoying rate and no re-colouring of grey hair :sad: .

• Cheerful x 2
  • like x 1

#1815 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Did these comparisons after one and a half year, some day I will make an update as its now 3+ years and has gotten  along quite well since. NR has been the constant of supplements. I have no doubt about it.

Attached Files

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#1816 AliceTu

• 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Let me ask you something: what is the point of a thread that discusses personal experiences with NR or any other supplement? To share experiences, right? To learn from each other's observations, right?

If so, may I propose to you that it is self-defeating to deride, argue, and shoot down this very self-reporting? Maybe the stated results are placebo, maybe they're another factor, maybe an atypical biochemistry, maybe something else, or combinations thereof -- but by its VERY NATURE, N=1 experiments can't be tested objectively. All bodies are unique biosystems. We can't clone ourselves (at least not yet) to have a control body and try the experiment again. We can't do a double-blind accounting for variables across a statistically significant population if there is only one of us.

N=1 testing is highly subjective, by its very nature. Even blood tests and hair tests (and I've had plenty) can miss the mark on many substances, because they only report what's in the blood or hair at that time, and often can't represent what the body is doing with the rest. Pictures and measuring hair growth is fine, but even then, someone else can argue that your data analysis isn't objective, that you aren't a proper scientist, and where did you get your credentials, and now we're all off to war again.

Look, subjective reporting is pretty much the best any of us N=1 practitioners have.

So consider, if what you REALLY want is find out about others' experiences, then, when you tell people "no, you aren't experiencing what you think you are, you are JUST WRONG because it doesn't match MY experience, and what I already (believe I) know," well. This seems counter-productive and self-defeating, if what you really want is more information.

Look, *think* whatever you like. They are fanatics, they are insane, it's placebo, they don't know any science, they are morons -- trust me, I think those things, too.

But you know what I do when I want to know more about something? I read. I listen. I absorb what's being suggested and reported. Only THEN do I decide if it applies to me or not. And not applying to me doesn't mean it doesn't apply to someone else.

Heck, even crazy people know things! Almost everyone here at longecity has some perspective that I don't have, and perspective is why I came here to this topic in the first place. 

No, I haven't been here long, and maybe this is just the way things get done around here, all this arguing and insulting and snapping at each other -- though I have to say it seems a waste of time to me -- but this is by no means my first rodeo, not my first time on a forum where people are discussing experiences, and questioning what others say.

And that's fine, to question and challenge, if you're talking about research and studies and science. But on THIS forum, called "personal experiences", why not actually focus on people's PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, without arguing that they aren't actually experiencing them? 

I myself am now far less likely to report my experiences than I was when I showed up. I don't think I'm the only one.

And that's too bad. Because I, for one, would *much* rather read here about what people are experiencing, than to read a ton of objections thrown at these people who, I want to point out, are taking a risk in putting up personal information, to say something that might be useful to someone else.

Can we please let people share their personal experiences here, and maybe keep the fighting and insults in some other topic?

• Good Point x 4
  • Well Written x 2
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1817 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

Echoing some comments upstream and adding to them........

Just in case some missed it, the title of this is, "Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread."  This is not about the latest studies or scientific data or whose brand of NR is superior.  There are manifold threads addressing those topics.  If none of those fits the bill, be bold and begin one anew.

The objective of this thread when I started it in 2014 was to allow everyone to share their PERSONAL/ANECDOTAL experiences with NR, in one location.  It's really quite simple.  Share with us how NR has impacted you: positve, neutral or negative.  Bounce ideas off of each other, and figure out why one thing works for some and may not for others.  Be supportive.  Be helpful.  Check your ego at the door.

We should embrace outlier responses; as a group try to solve the mystery.  Rather than looking at the obvious, perhaps the outlier holds the key as to why the larger cohort responds the way they do. What is the mechanism of action.  Keep an open and receptive mind. 

Absolutely ask questions and challenge statements you don't understand, disagree with or need clarification on, but do so in a cordial and respectful way and that will benefit the community.

I always marvel at some of the snippy posts.  It's not like you're debating someone face-to-face and you have to think quickly on your feet.  You have plenty of time to collect your thoughts and present them in a cogent way.  Think before you post.  Remember, it isn’t mandatory that you contribute here.  When in doubt, sleep on it.  If that all fails, contact that person privately via PM to discuss any concerns.

There has to be something more important in life than trying to one-up or berate someone on an Internet forum, which is supposed to be an exchange of ideas and personal experiences.  I can almost guarantee that in a few years what you think you know now will be obsolete or disproven.  Just go back and look at past posts anywhere on LongeCity.  Science is, by its very nature, always being challenged – dynamic conjecture.

So, the bottom line is this:  please continue to post and share your PERSONAL/ANECDOTAL experiences with NR.  Please keep it on-topic and be respectful.  And, if you can't do that, well, silence is golden.

Edited by APBT, 11 June 2018 - 09:30 PM.

• Well Written x 3
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1818 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

I started taking NR about six weeks ago. I'm a 71 year old with some health issues; asthma and inflammation on the lungs which I mostly notice when I start running. I use inhalers and montelukast. On the first few days I felt very up and energised, as seems to be a common experience. This has either faded or become the new normal. It's not possible to say since it's a comparitive judgement. I have however noticed other effects that are persistent.

I don't seem to have much, if any, of the second day stiffness familiar to anyone who exercises, particularly when increasing the level of exercise. Other people here have reported the same so it may well be genuine. I'm currently at my Spanish house where I follow a fairly strenuous regime; Monday 1 1/2 hours of Padel (tennis), Tuesday 1 hour weights, Wednesday 1 1/2 hour Padel, Thursday off, Friday 1 hour circuits, Saturday1 hour run done as fartlek. If I did this in the past I would be a wreck of stiffness and pain by the middle of the week. I'm also running harder and faster, though that is a subjective judgement, and lifting more weight. As a guide, I do 6 then 5 then 4 chin ups, interspersed with 11 then 10 then 9 reverse grip chin ups. I have recently been increasing the numbers of reps.

For several years I have had a bit of chest pain in the first 15 minutes of running, caused by inflammation on my lungs though this goes after a bit, maybe because I'm producing testosterone from the exercise? This has decreased a lot.

The other effect has also been reported frequently; my hours of waking and sleep have become more regular.

Anything else will be a matter of waiting to see.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 2

#1819 Wave Txlitl Met

• 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the reminder, topic lead!

My personal experience with NR has gotten me most excited about the supplement, the mechanism, the biological system addressed, and the potential. 

It makes me feel young. I am taking 125mg-250mg/ day. The boost in energy is a non-exhausting kind. I'd say I have the harmony of a good balance. I have lost weight on it, for only having taken it one month, not bad! My mother has lost weight, too, and she's been on it for two weeks. I didn't expect that. 

This will stay in my arsenal for a long time, if not forever. It's one of those supplements that's a landmark in the supplement quest. When I find one that fits this description, it effectively changes everything for me, because it changes the landscape in my head: the mind-scape. Potential is better, peace is greater, function superior. 

Now, combine this with 4-DMA-7, 8-DHF for the ultimate in gaming experience! I did and am playing Starcraft 2 on a qualitatively higher level. My work is superior (job), everything is better. NR gives some mystical sense of whatever a process would be called that's the reverse of aging. I feel five years younger, it's absolutely incredible. 

• Informative x 4
  • Cheerful x 2
  • like x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#1820 Oakman

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:59 PM

I myself am now far less likely to report my experiences than I was when I showed up. I don't think I'm the only one.

And that's too bad. Because I, for one, would *much* rather read here about what people are experiencing, than to read a ton of objections thrown at these people who, I want to point out, are taking a risk in putting up personal information, to say something that might be useful to someone else.

Can we please let people share their personal experiences here, and maybe keep the fighting and insults in some other topic?

AliceTu, I would encourage you to continue posting as often as you want, and esp. in any personal experience thread. Whereas you are a new member, I'm sure you have experiences to relate we'd all appreciate hearing about (you already have!). New (posting) blood is a bit hard to come by here, and heaven knows it brings fresh insight, even if it is flawed insight :)

We're all anonymous and some want to argue, but more often, peps push back to make sure they understand your take on things. You're 100% correct about N=1 experiences and no one can say they aren't real. Results attributed may not be as a result of what we think, but everyone (should) know that going in. Irrelevant, mean spirited, or time wasting counter-posts don't need a reply, just carry on. Generally the borg will take care of them without assistance, if only just for fun.

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

#1821 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:19 PM

johnross47, Wave Txlitl Met, et al.

It'd be helpful (at least to me) if the brand of NR taken (john, post 1818, and Wave post 1819, don't say) and dosage (john doesn't say, post 1818) was specified in each new posting. Just saying that one is taking NR doesn't really mean a whole lot--is it 10mg daily sublingual or is it 500mg ingested twice a day at specific times? We don't know unless told. 

• Agree x 3

#1822 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:31 PM

hmm interesting re the hair growth but I sure as hell wouldn't get my hopes up,   because there are different reasons for losing hair,   and different ways,   and so forth.   Sounds good though,   and yes I'd like to see all supplements you are taking with the NR or if it is JUST NR. 

I think people just get vehement  (myself included at times)  re their experiences because it is so difficult to pinpoint the effects for all,  especially since it's a newer supplement.   I myself do get frustrated when there is no true way to know ANYTHING,   not just supplements.   As classmates have put it,   "You just get so INTENSE about everything."   I MUST KNOW ALL.

• Cheerful x 2
  • Agree x 2

#1823 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

hmm interesting re the hair growth but I sure as hell wouldn't get my hopes up,   because there are different reasons for losing hair,   and different ways,   and so forth.   Sounds good though,   and yes I'd like to see all supplements you are taking with the NR or if it is JUST NR. 

I think people just get vehement  (myself included at times)  re their experiences because it is so difficult to pinpoint the effects for all,  especially since it's a newer supplement.   I myself do get frustrated when there is no true way to know ANYTHING,   not just supplements.   As classmates have put it,   "You just get so INTENSE about everything."   I MUST KNOW ALL.

In my case or really anyone's what could possibly make more hair grow or make it grow faster except for one of the pills specifically for hair that I'm not taking?

My supplements before faster hair growth: multi-vitamin and 4000 IU vitamin D3.

With hair growth: multi-vitamin, 4000 IU vitamin D3 and 250 mg of NR.  

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1824 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:29 PM

Stefan_001,

those are excellent results, and the pictures you also shared elsewhere help alot.. Are you still topically applying the mixture of NR with Pterostilbine? From the same site, I would have to hunt it down, but I thought you also took oral Pterostilbine, stopped for awhile, then added it back in. Am I mistaken?

Thanks.

• like x 1

#1825 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:21 AM

I would like to grow my hair faster,  but as I said,   the reasons behind hair loss are never just down to one thing.   For example,   women tend to lose hair when hormones are in great flux  (i.e. dread shed after childbirth)   or when malnourished,   or in menopause and perimenopause.   Other reasons could include:   low thyroid,   an autoimmune illness,   etc.   and that's just for women.   I was recently researching this and found a really interesting one that has kind of taken storm.   Women mostly have been using MONiSTAT (typically I think used for yeast infection)  to regrow hair!   I suppose it does make sense because,  for example,  in menopause my mom had itchy scalp and was prescribed the same thing  (essentially)   as Monistat by a derm.   I wonder how NR might do what it's doing for you.   Any thoughts?   I hope the hair growth companies don't start latching on to this.

#1826 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

johnross47, Wave Txlitl Met, et al.

It'd be helpful (at least to me) if the brand of NR taken (john, post 1818, and Wave post 1819, don't say) and dosage (john doesn't say, post 1818) was specified in each new posting. Just saying that one is taking NR doesn't really mean a whole lot--is it 10mg daily sublingual or is it 500mg ingested twice a day at specific times? We don't know unless told. 

Yes indeed. I was posting just before going to bed, and not at my sharpest. I omitted two very important details.

I took 250 mg. the first day and was awake for much of the night, so after re-reading others' experiences I dropped it to 125 mg. for a week and then returned to 250 mg. which is what I am still taking.  I'm using Thorne NiaCel 250 which as with all the others is the same Niagen product. I've just been swallowing a capsule but I intend opening it and doing sub lingual.

The other thing I missed is bigger. For the past six months or so I have had severe hip pain. I assumed it was inflammatory because I have full freedom of movement. This was so severe when running or walking that I was on the point of giving up and getting a bike to do non-weight bearing exercise instead. Within a few days of starting NR the pain had decreased noticeably and has now more or less gone completely. Last Saturday I did a 5 mile run in the Spanish heat with no problems at all. It could, of course, be the case that I had bursitis in both hips, (the right one more severe), and that it just spontaneously fixed itself, coincidentally at the same time I started NR, and faded away to nothing within a short time all on  its own, or more plausibly, there was a connection between the two events. It was the possibility of this improvement in an inflammatory condition that finally persuaded me to give NR a go.

• Informative x 4

#1827 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

Stefan_001,

those are excellent results, and the pictures you also shared elsewhere help alot.. Are you still topically applying the mixture of NR with Pterostilbine? From the same site, I would have to hunt it down, but I thought you also took oral Pterostilbine, stopped for awhile, then added it back in. Am I mistaken?

Thanks.

Hi Heisok, I am not applying the mixture anymore and the slow growth continuous so its not crucial. I have now and then rubbed NR lotion alone (once every 3months) on the hair just in case its important. As many people are not reporting hair regrowth it could still be that it has helped to restart the hair growth in those areas that are essentially bald. It could also be that people do not report hair regrowth because it goes slow. I have tracked it for 3 years and on a month to month basis its hard to notice a difference.

I have tried various phytochemicals and nowadays take them on a rotating basis (monthly). They overlap in effects but each still has its own specifics. Pterostilbene I have on purpose cycled to determine whether it has impact on bladder function and for me it clearly has. When on it the visits to the bathroom are normal when off it they go up. I have tried that several time and always the same outcome.

• Informative x 4

#1828 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

Thanks, Stefan.

#1829 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

. Pterostilbene I have on purpose cycled to determine whether it has impact on bladder function and for me it clearly has. When on it the visits to the bathroom are normal when off it they go up. I have tried that several time and always the same outcome.

How much pterostilbine to get this effect?

#1830 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

hey there captain!

this here is a thread about personal experiences, and so people ranitng and raving about NR is to be expected. 

this is not the "if you cant prove it sceintfically gosh dang it dont post it!!!" thread 

please dont rag on follks for using the thread as it was intended 

• Agree x 4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By