Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1861 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

Started 250mg of Thorne brand Niagen two days ago, in the morning, on an empty stomach with my usual dose of coffee.  Days one and two...a noticeable boost in energy akin to a moderate dose of ALCAR, mental and physical that keeps going for most of the day although a tiny crash in the evenings(craving a nap). Sleep has been no more disturbed than normal but do feel more energy upon waking. 

Does not seem to help my attention deficit...If anything, I really just want to abandon tedious desk tasks and do something outdoors more than usual.

• Informative x 2

#1862 Captain Obvious

• 82 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Enjoy your expensive placebo folks. 2000 mg/day does nothing in a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial.

Insulin sensitivity, endogenous glucose production, and glucose disposal and oxidation were not improved by NR supplementation. Similarly, NR supplementation had no effect on resting energy expenditure, lipolysis, oxidation of lipids, or body composition. No serious adverse events due to NR supplementation were observed and safety blood tests were normal.

Source:

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 10 July 2018.

https://academic.oup...edFrom=fulltext

Edited by Captain Obvious, 14 July 2018 - 02:14 PM.

• Informative x 4
  • Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1863 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

ha,  love this.   I feel this about almost everything I have ever tried,  yet people are all over the internet claiming whatever they are taking cured their depression,   their ADD,   their cancer,   their whatever.....and then I get mad when I have no results.    Yet I continue to hope,   and why?   No really why?    

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1864 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

Enjoy your expensive placebo folks. 

Thanks for the good wishes, Captain. The full study has been under LC discussion for a few days already and shows promising results.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1865 Gingerbread Man

• 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

Enjoy your expensive placebo folks. 2000 mg/day does nothing in a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial.

Source:

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 10 July 2018.

https://academic.oup...edFrom=fulltext

Placebo? You are looking at the wrong results Captain Oblivious. Look at the the other column, the NR one.

Clear and obvious gains in fatty liver disease (far more people have this than most people realize). A lot of diabetics have fatty liver.

If you basing your opinions on "does nothing" you aren't looking at the study as a whole. You shouldn't see changes in healthy people (they were healthy people in this study) in the other things they measured. They had good glucose control as evidenced by their A1C% so why would you expect to improve something that doesn't need improvement? You wouldn't want healthy people having their sugar go low from taking NR.... They worded it terribly, it should have said unchanged as that is more accurate.

As far as I am concerned that study was 100% good news.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1866 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

Placebo? You are looking at the wrong results Captain Oblivious. Look at the the other column, the NR one.

Clear and obvious gains in fatty liver disease (far more people have this than most people realize). A lot of diabetics have fatty liver.

If you basing your opinions on "does nothing" you aren't looking at the study as a whole. You shouldn't see changes in healthy people (they were healthy people in this study) in the other things they measured. They had good glucose control as evidenced by their A1C% so why would you expect to improve something that doesn't need improvement? You wouldn't want healthy people having their sugar go low from taking NR.... They worded it terribly, it should have said unchanged as that is more accurate.

As far as I am concerned that study was 100% good news.

Agree. NR will not improve biomarkers already in the normal range. Reducing fatty liver by 50% in 12 weeks for just a subset of people is very good result.
  • Agree x 3

#1867 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

The previous five posts are off-topic for this thread.  Please take the discussion to the following existing thread: https://www.longecit...or-fatty-liver/

• Agree x 4

#1868 Oakman

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

The previous five posts are off-topic for this thread.  Please take the discussion to the following existing thread: https://www.longecit...or-fatty-liver/

And more off-topic posts are being added :(  Personal experience folks, not kibitzing about the relative merits of, studies about, etc., of NR.  There's other threads for that.

On that note...I've just stopped NR and everything else due to a case of hives. It's got to be something I'm taking. Hopefully not NR, but who know!

Edited by Oakman, 15 July 2018 - 06:17 PM.

• Informative x 2

#1869 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

ok so I have stopped taking NR caps altogether because the NMN transdermal serum I made is like 10x to 20x more powerful and more affective. 

I would prefer to make the serum with NR but no pure NR product exists currently and I damn sure aint making it with all that crap cellulose or mag stearate thats in the NR caps. 

So that means I made the serum with NMN because there is a pure NMN product on the market. 

The transdermal serum bypasses the liver and so solves the problem of the liver destroying the NR bond and creating simple N and simple R 

Its flat out amazing stuff 

Edited by Phoebus, 16 July 2018 - 09:52 PM.

• Needs references x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#1870 Oakman

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

ok so I have stopped taking NR caps altogether because the NMN transdermal serum I made is like 10x to 20x more powerful and more affective. 

I would prefer to make the serum with NR but no pure NR product exists currently and I damn sure aint making it with all that crap cellulose or mag stearate thats in the NR caps. 

So that means I made the serum with NMN because there is a pure NMN product on the market. 

The transdermal serum bypasses the liver and so solves the problem of the liver destroying the NR bond and creating simple N and simple R 

Its flat out amazing stuff 

Have you told us how you make the transdermal? If so, what post was it, or if not could you? Thanks.

• Off-Topic x 1

#1871 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

Have you told us how you make the transdermal? If so, what post was it, or if not could you? Thanks.

https://www.longecit...rmal-nmn-serum/

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1872 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

from yahoo board:

Edward 7 hours ago
Niagen Update from 75 year old physician:
Started Niagen 16 months ago
Have been increasing dosage with time based on various studies published
Dosage 750-1000 mg in divided dosage
Often sublingually
Results:
Creatinine renal function improved 15% to normal levels
Timed online chess score improved 15%
Hair has gone from almost all white to a combo of blonde with some dark at the temples
Fingernails growing faster
Improved toenail appearance
Routinely competing in tennis successfully against significantly younger player. My tennis pro said Im the only one competing better than 10 years ago
-significantly less delayed onset muscle soreness after exercise
use of nsaids is about half
Accomplishing tasks that I could not quite accomplish previously
Fairly easily lift me 55 lb electric bike onto the car bike rack whereas this was barely possible before

• Enjoying the show x 2

#1873 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

I've now been taking it since the middle of April. There's been no recurrence of the hip pain I used to have from walking or running though it occasionally flares up in bed if I lie on a hip. I am lifting considerably bigger weights at the gym, but it's difficult to tell if that is just trying harder for placebo reasons i.e. I think I can so I do. We need some proper placebo trials of older or sicker participants and not the usual tests on twenty students. I'm watching my skin and hair with interest. I'm not due another eye test till about April or May next year, so it should have time to work its magic if it can.

I'm also keeping in mind all the other things people have raved about on here, but which eventually turned out not to do anything. I've tried a few.

#1874 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:51 PM

This could be considered slightly off-topic if we are going to be dogmatic about NR and not include NMN, but perhaps we can avoid that?

I've been taking Alive By Nature's new NMN sublinguals for the last week, two under the tongue about an hour before working out at the gym, about every other day. I'm also taking rapamycin 2mg every 10 days so there's that to consider.

I do cardio at the gym using a chest band heart rate monitor. I do some version of HIIIT such that I get my heart rate to about 140-150 every interval, then let it fall back down to below 130 before the next high intensity interval. Usually I do between 235 calories and 275 calories as calculated by the machine.

Today, using all the same parameters, I did 300 calories and felt as if I could have done more.

So it MAY be that something is working.

• Informative x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1875 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

This could be considered slightly off-topic if we are going to be dogmatic about NR and not include NMN, but perhaps we can avoid that?

I've been taking Alive By Nature's new NMN sublinguals for the last week, two under the tongue about an hour before working out at the gym, about every other day. I'm also taking rapamycin 2mg every 10 days so there's that to consider.

I do cardio at the gym using a chest band heart rate monitor. I do some version of HIIIT such that I get my heart rate to about 140-150 every interval, then let it fall back down to below 130 before the next high intensity interval. Usually I do between 235 calories and 275 calories as calculated by the machine.

Today, using all the same parameters, I did 300 calories and felt as if I could have done more.

So it MAY be that something is working.

Definitely should be in the NMN experiences thread, not NR.

• Agree x 3

#1876 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

Wasn't aware there was such a thread. I'll take a look for it!

• WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1877 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

for liver is best to take nr oral rather than sublingual and nmn does little for liver right?

• Well Written x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#1878 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:36 PM

for liver is best to take nr oral rather than sublingual and nmn does little for liver right?

Not really.  If you take NR sublingual  and it goes direct to bloodstream, it might be available to more tissues throughout the body - for a short while.  But any NR that doesn't get used elsewhere WILL get filtered by the liver and used there.  

I would think the liver might still get MORE NR that way, as a lot of NR (or NMN) you take in oral supplements get digested to NAM in the stomach.

• Good Point x 1

#1879 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

Not really.  If you take NR sublingual  and it goes direct to bloodstream, it might be available to more tissues throughout the body - for a short while.  But any NR that doesn't get used elsewhere WILL get filtered by the liver and used there.  

I would think the liver might still get MORE NR that way, as a lot of NR (or NMN) you take in oral supplements get digested to NAM in the stomach.

but alive by nature has something that says 10% of nr turns to nam in 10 min and 66% turns to nam if taken sublingual in 1h and it dosen t say what happens after 1h so i don t understand anything anymore (i don t know much about medicine anyways not my field)

#1880 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

If I was to tip out the contents of my (Thorne 250mg) capsule into water and filter it to remove the fillers so as to allow it to be used for sublingual dosing, how much water would I need to use, how long would it take for all the NR to get into solution and how long would it need to be held in the mouth for uptake?

#1881 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

I’ve been using 500mg/day TruNiagen for a few months and notice nothing. I’m thinking of just max loading it and taking 2g per day spread out into four 500mg doses. I’m not the greatest at noticing “affects” so what type of affects would one notice from a high dose like that? Maybe if I know what I’m looking for I can pinpoint it better? Thanks

#1882 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:22 PM

I’ve been using 500mg/day TruNiagen for a few months and notice nothing. I’m thinking of just max loading it and taking 2g per day spread out into four 500mg doses. I’m not the greatest at noticing “affects” so what type of affects would one notice from a high dose like that? Maybe if I know what I’m looking for I can pinpoint it better? Thanks

Age and state of health will probably have a great deal to do with any benefits you may or may not see from NR. If that is a picture of you then I would be surprised if you notice much as you seem to be fairly young and healthy?

#1883 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

Age and state of health will probably have a great deal to do with any benefits you may or may not see from NR. If that is a picture of you then I would be surprised if you notice much as you seem to be fairly young and healthy?

36 and look healthy on the outside but not the inside lol
  • Cheerful x 1

#1884 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

36 and look healthy on the outside but not the inside lol

NR boosts NAD and NAD is usually in decline as you age and low NAD levels can be linked to some health issues. At your age and if you are in good health I wouldn't think you would need to be taking large doses of NR....Possibly wasting your time and money?

• Agree x 1

#1885 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:49 AM

depends on health prior to taking it,   I agree.   36 is young and if there is some health issue,   it doesn't mean NR is a solution to every single problem.

• Agree x 1

#1886 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

I'm probably one of the few people who get the opposite effect of these "booster" supplements. I guess it has to do with CFS.

Other supplements like Astragalus, Carrageenan and ALCAR also make me tired.

#1887 Oakman

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

I'm probably one of the few people who get the opposite effect of these "booster" supplements. I guess it has to do with CFS.

You supplement carrageenan :|o ? I consider it a toxin. There is conflicting science, but I'd err on the "not necessary, so no need to risk it" side.

#1888 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

More likely it's the fact that none of those supplements work for CFS and it's the actual CFS that makes you tired, as that is the most prominent symptom of CFS...

#1889 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

....will rewrite later...sorry

Edited by stefan_001, 21 August 2018 - 08:48 PM.

#1890 Caravaggio

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

You supplement carrageenan :|o ? I consider it a toxin. There is conflicting science, but I'd err on the "not necessary, so no need to risk it" side.

Not directly, it's just in some soft shell capsules.

But there is even a nasal spray that contains carrageenan because of the antiviral activity.

Respir Res. 2010; 11(1): 108.

Efficacy and safety of an antiviral Iota-Carrageenan nasal spray: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled exploratory study in volunteers with early symptoms of the common cold
Ron Eccles, Christiane Meier, Martez Jawad, Regina Weinmüllner, Andreas Grassauer,corresponding author and Eva Prieschl-Grassauer

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2923116/

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987 Sep; 31(9): 1388–1393.

Polysaccharides as antiviral agents: antiviral activity of carrageenan.
M E González, B Alarcón, and L Carrasco

https://www.ncbi.nlm...cles/PMC174948/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By