Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1921 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

Why not read some more of our threads?

Some of them discuss NAD administration, other threads point out the downsides of regularly taking niacinamide and others yet discuss the negative effects of regularly taking ribose. Final answers can be hard to get, but your input may be valued highly.

I have a fuller protocol as relates to overall NAD+ enhancement strategy which entails other agents and strategic cycling to avoid any issues with such potential adverse effects.

Indeed, overall it can be difficult to ascertain just what is optimal, however, at a certain point one culls as much info as they feel is viable for a more optimal strategy and then goes from there without getting into too overtly micromanaging every piece of info and detail.  That's my take as an optimal approach/

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1922 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

RE: 

...I see best method as transdermal NAD+ itself.  ...

agreed. This is what i was trying to do but you cant get pure NAD+ unless you have a lab address. Impossible. 

Well, here's a readily available source of NAD+ pure powder, so I guess the impossible is possible. ; )

https://teamtlr.com/...ide-nad-99.html

Again, no doubt NAD+ transdermal is a superior means.  It does all one is trying to do in relation to NAD+ bioavailability.  Simple enough.

#1923 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Well, here's a readily available source of NAD+ pure powder, so I guess the impossible is possible. ; )

Again, no doubt NAD+ transdermal is a superior means.  It does all one is trying to do in relation to NAD+ bioavailability.  Simple enough.

well well! 

I searched high and low and could not find that. just placed my order, plan on doing DMSO transdermal with that. Will update. 

thanks! 

#1924 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:20 PM

VERITAS INCORRUPTUS, on 25 Aug 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:snapback.png

well well! 

I searched high and low and could not find that. just placed my order, plan on doing DMSO transdermal with that. Will update. 

thanks! 

Yes, please let us know what you find.  I will do the same.  Just ordered, and am curious if it has different effect from NR and NMN.

#1925 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:40 PM

Yes, please let us know what you find.  I will do the same.  Just ordered, and am curious if it has different effect from NR and NMN.

• unsure x 1

#1926 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

Interesting! Be sure to start a new  personal experiences thread about this, just to avoid confusion!

• Agree x 1

#1927 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

so they tell you to choose the 'COD' option for delivery but then  they say they will email you payment options 

I did not get any payment options emailed, though I did get an order confrimation. 

Same for you? 

#1928 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Wow the real thing at half cost of NMN.

• unsure x 2
  • Disagree x 2

#1929 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wow the real thing at half cost of NMN.

Guess you didn't look at the quantity?

Is $49 for 4 grams of NAD+

ABN is $69 for 12 grams of NMN.

So TLR NAD+ is  more than 2x as much as NMN.

I do still want to give it a try though.  

• Agree x 1

#1930 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

Sorry to state the obvious, but some people may overlook the small print: not for human usage...

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#1931 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

This thread is getting pretty lengthy, as threads do in this old message board format. 

Wouldn't it be more useful for personal experience threads to be divided into age groups? I'm interested more so in what the average experience is with both NR and NMN in different age groups. Like, if you're in your 70's, vs in your 40's, you're going to have a very different outcome I think.

People who are in their 70's and experience nothing different with either molecule would be interesting to hear from. What are their frailty scores before and after? 

[EDIT] *sigh* Sorry for being "pointless and time wasting" but this thread is pointless and time wasting when it comes to wading through 65 pages of endless debate mixed with reports and having no way to search a specific, individual thread. Kind of why I prefer Reddit.

Maybe it would be more useful to specifically ask if there is anyone currently in their 70's still reading this thread or if anyone in their 70's has posted results or anyone with a family member in their 70's taking NR (or NMN) who might give an update.

Edited by Nate-2004, 27 August 2018 - 02:15 PM.

• Agree x 7
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1932 Oakman

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:47 PM

Maybe it would be more useful to specifically ask if there is anyone currently in their 70's still reading this thread or if anyone in their 70's has posted results or anyone with a family member in their 70's taking NR (or NMN) who might give an update.

I'll speak up for the old folks being here. I'm not quite in my 70s yet, but a few months away. I've been on NR of some dose or other since Aug 2016. I'm not going to say it hasn't helped, but if you want me to put my finger on a specific 'wow' moment I realized NR was doing something wonderful...well...I can't. Nevertheless, for some reason I do feel it helps my overall health - and why I still take 250mg each AM.  

Why? IMHO one simple thing is a requirement for better health & aging using NR or any NAD+ precursor ... and that is cardiovascular exercise and lots of it. My opinion is if your body doesn't use much energy (couch potato), it will pretty much not use molecules presented to it. To keep heart, lungs, blood, muscles, etc. going well into 60s, 70, 80s, and beyond requires work, physical work, that uses the body as you did when you were younger. I believe NAD+ precursors offer that help. Don't want to do the work? Save your $$ - Precursors are more or less a waste.

So Nate, I wish there was a "60s & up" thread for NR and another for NMN, and another for CD38, etc. ...Or maybe one NAD+ thread ONLY for over 60. I simply don't believe NAD+ precursors do much for healthy young people, and so their experiences are suspect as to what they say they get (sorry young people :) )

One the other hand - I would say I've experienced a 'Wow - that's something!" moment and more with NMN. Whatever is happening with NMN, it seems to be doing something especially good for my body - losing weight, strong muscles, lower heart rate with exceptional energy for exercise. That's something to get excited about, but them maybe what was required was the NR + NMN combo? Whatever, to hear from other 60s, 70s, 80s age people specifically would be great.

• Informative x 1

#1933 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:57 PM

[EDIT] *sigh* Sorry for being "pointless and time wasting" but this thread is pointless and time wasting when it comes to wading through 65 pages of endless debate mixed with reports and having no way to search a specific, individual thread. Kind of why I prefer Reddit.

I hear you. these long threads get cumbersone for sure 

But reddit is utterly worthless for ongoing discussions. If you dont comment within 48 hours of the thread going live forget about it. EVery thread lasts 1 - 3 days max, then itd dead forever. 

• Agree x 1

#1934 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

This is from the weekend, lady is 78:

Hi XYZ,
Just wanted to let you know that my mum today reported significant improvement in anxiety levels since starting Niagen. Haven't heard her sounding so genuinely positive for a while. It was awesome to hear.
Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the recommendation - it really is a miracle supplement and I'm so grateful!
Best regards,

ABC

There is nothing to loose with trying NR or NMN - and sometimes small improvements are the "wow-that's something".

PS Apologies to ABC for putting your message on an experience sharing thread, but hope you will excuse me and look on the bright side somebody out there might just buy it because of your report for their mum or dad too

Edited by stefan_001, 27 August 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#1935 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

72 year old male.  Have been taking NR and other NAD precursors  for 12 months and feel that is helps my energy level.  It is suppose to help your exercise by helping to grow new blood vessels to your muscles per Dr. Sinclair in his latest talk.  As we age the exercise no longer has the same effect no matter how hard you push it, blood flow to the muscles deteriorates.  If I take more than 250 mg daily, I feel washed out and lose energy, so for me 250 mg daily is max.

What has really help me is taking Rapamycin for 2 years, blood test of 20 yo., but that is another forum.

• Informative x 2

#1936 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

72 year old male.  Have been taking NR and other NAD precursors  for 12 months and feel that is helps my energy level.  It is suppose to help your exercise by helping to grow new blood vessels to your muscles per Dr. Sinclair in his latest talk.  As we age the exercise no longer has the same effect no matter how hard you push it, blood flow to the muscles deteriorates.  If I take more than 250 mg daily, I feel washed out and lose energy, so for me 250 mg daily is max.

What has really help me is taking Rapamycin for 2 years, blood test of 20 yo., but that is another forum.

Sinclair's whole talk about at a recent conference mentioned blood flow as one of the major problems with declining levels of NAD+. I mean if NMN or NR worked then you should have been getting improved blood flow. (See 44:00 - 45:00)

Edited by Nate-2004, 28 August 2018 - 01:10 PM.

#1937 Oakman

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Sinclair's whole talk about at a recent conference mentioned blood flow as one of the major problems with declining levels of NAD+. I mean if NMN or NR worked then you should have been getting improved blood flow.

No all by itself. Not to belabor the point or cross threads but...

http://sci-hub.tw/10...ell.2018.02.008 (page 84, "Discussion")

Interestingly, NMN supplementation had no effect on the capillary density of sedentary young to middle-aged mice. Only when coupled with exercise training or after ischemia did NMN improve these parameters. This result, and the fact that NMN restores the capillary density of elderly mice to youthful levels but not further, indicates that there may be a signal within EC that caps the number of capillaries in muscle that EC NAD+ can induce, a limit that is overcome by exercise.

So NMN can do the trick of  improved capillary density, up to, but not better than youthful levels, UNLESS accompanied by exercise, whereupon the limit can be exceeded. So win & win...with exercise.

• Informative x 2

#1938 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

Have you tried splitting the doses? Like, instead of 500mg all at once do 250 in the morning and then 250 right before bed. That's what I've been doing. If I do it at dinner I have trouble falling asleep, probably because NAD+ doesn't peak till 4 hours after dosing. So if I dose just before bed I'm still peaking when I wake up. I'm ok staying asleep it's falling asleep that is the problem. When I dose that late at night I tend to already have energy for the morning when I ride my bike in. I take it before leaving for work and I'm peaking again by time for lunchtime at the gym.

No all by itself. Not to belabor the point or cross threads but...

http://sci-hub.tw/10...ell.2018.02.008 (page 84, "Discussion")

Interestingly, NMN supplementation had no effect on the capillary density of sedentary young to middle-aged mice. Only when coupled with exercise training or after ischemia did NMN improve these parameters. This result, and the fact that NMN restores the capillary density of elderly mice to youthful levels but not further, indicates that there may be a signal within EC that caps the number of capillaries in muscle that EC NAD+ can induce, a limit that is overcome by exercise.

So NMN can do the trick of  improved capillary density, up to, but not better than youthful levels, UNLESS accompanied by exercise, whereupon the limit can be exceeded. So win & win...with exercise.

I've noticed I can build leg muscle again with NR, but only combined with sprints or sled pushes followed by sauna use. I'm 44 though, but I thought I'd lost that ability in my mid 30's.

• Informative x 1

#1939 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

I'm a 71 year old male. I started NR recently, (250 NR morning and night), in May, and have noticed some results. My sleep has become more regular. Most nights I go off very quickly. When I first took it I felt definitely energised and when I resume dosing after a few days off I get the same energised feeling. My weights  regime was doing no more than holding back muscle loss, but now I am gaining quite a bit of muscle and using heavier weights. Before, I could do 5,4,3 chin ups but now I'm doing 7,6,5. On the reverse grip chin ups I could do 8,7,6 and now I can do 12,10,8 and on a good day recently did a first set of 15. As for all the other reported benefits, I'm waiting to see.

• Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#1940 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

One more experience i have with NR is that the effect seems to be stronger when i combine it with excercise. Is there anyone else who has experienced this or is this placebo?

Another thing is that i feel more hunger. I used to make interval fasting (only eating after 12) but not eating feels harder since i take NR, so i eat more.  

Body weight decreased however from about 92 to 87 during that time, average Blood pressure dropped from 140 to 125.

Libido increased further to the point where it was when i was 19. This is really amazing for me, because i had problems after a finasteride intake for 15 years. Someone should make a study on that topic (especially for people with post finasteride syndrome).

Btw i am 40, taking NR for 8 months now, at the moment about 300 mg /day.

• like x 3

#1941 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:24 AM

One more experience i have with NR is that the effect seems to be stronger when i combine it with excercise. Is there anyone else who has experienced this or is this placebo?

Another thing is that i feel more hunger. I used to make interval fasting (only eating after 12) but not eating feels harder since i take NR, so i eat more.  

Body weight decreased however from about 92 to 87 during that time, average Blood pressure dropped from 140 to 125.

Libido increased further to the point where it was when i was 19. This is really amazing for me, because i had problems after a finasteride intake for 15 years. Someone should make a study on that topic (especially for people with post finasteride syndrome).

Btw i am 40, taking NR for 8 months now, at the moment about 300 mg /day.

I have noticed the same, exercise makes the effect stronger. Its hard to nail with biomarkers beyond skin appearance and energy level but I have tracked this somewhat and its repeatable and consistent. Libido effect noted as well - in fact also stronger in combination with exercise. Another one is reduced eating e.g. skipping dinner. So thats my routine, all three.

#1942 zzchristianzz

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Not certain if my input would be of any value after 65 pages on this thread, but i am a fit 61 years old man and will start on october 8th a one year trial of NR from Niagen. I have received my full year supply this afternoon, will start on the first monday after returning from a trip to China. I plan to start on a 250mg dosage for 2 months then on 375mg for the next 10 months. I bike every single day even in winter when road conditions are safe (meaning no ice). For the last 2 years i have notice my energy is definitly declining as well as the effect of lactic acid that seems to arise much quicker than what i was use to. 

If my experience is still of interest to this community, i will post my own personal experience over the next year, like an open diary for everyone to see :) 

Christian

• like x 5
  • Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1

#1943 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:06 AM

@zzchristianzz yes very interesting

#1944 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

If my experience is still of interest to this community, i will post my own personal experience over the next year, like an open diary for everyone to see :)

Christian

I think your diary will be short since if you sense changes, they will probably happen after a few days and/or maybe after a few weeks and then plateau but the six month mark might be interesting as well.

I'd be curious to see what happens if you switched to 375 mg of NMN after six months and take that for the last half. It would also be good if you can get your blood tested now, after six months and again after a year.

#1945 zzchristianzz

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for your input and suggestion, I very recently had a complete blood test done and also planned to redo them on the 6 months mark. Your suggestion of going on NMN for the last 6 months of my 1 year experiment and then redo a blood work would be a great "add on", but unfortunatly i have limited financial means and this 6 months NMN trial is a bit out of reach. I am from Montreal and here in Canada NMN is double the cost of NR. In addition NR is available without custom hassle but it does not seem the case for NMN. 

Anyhow, If this community can provide a solution for supplying the NMN, i am open for this comparasion test between NR and NMN and of course share my blood works as well as the impact on my normal life. 

• like x 1

#1946 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

I understand about the NMN if double the NR price. I assumed closer to 20% more than Truniagen if buying three months worth. You could try to take just three months of NMN and then test because I think m ost changed would occur within those 12 weeks. 

• Good Point x 1

#1947 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

I am from Montreal and here in Canada NMN is double the cost of NR. In addition NR is available without custom hassle but it does not seem the case for NMN. 

Anyhow, If this community can provide a solution for supplying the NMN

1) Ship across border at those US mailbox places, 2)go pick it up yourself and 3)declare it as "dietary supplement" when crossing back. 4. Enoy

Worked with so many supps for me tens of times.

• Informative x 1

#1948 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:19 AM

So a week ago I went to clean up in the basement and later that day got reaction, irritated eyes and short of breath. In the days following a lot of mucus buildup followed. Now its week and just back from the doctors, CRP levels undetectable, a flareup of asthma probably. Got some medications.

Now to the remarkable part, in the last days I had some periods of significant short a breath and couching. At some point I out a bit of NR powder under my tongue (1/6 of a capcule) and the shortness of breath gets relieved, the sneezing stops and slime is brought up. Unfortunately it temporarely relief. But its repeatable all the time.

So circulating NR apparently brings some short term relief against asthma, wonder what mechanism that is? In the mean time picked up some medication that should dissolve the mucus.

Edited by stefan_001, 15 October 2018 - 10:22 AM.

• unsure x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1949 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

78 year old Asian lady. Hair was all white before NR. 250mg per day for two years
78 year old Asian lady. Hair was all white before NR. 250mg per day for two years

Attached Files

• Needs references x 6
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1

#1950 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:02 PM

Attached File  $.jpeg   53.11KB   1 downloads

C´mon Mike DC. This needs a reference. You are starting to sound like a late-night infomercial.  

Who?    (asian lady)

Where? (asia!)

What?   (something about hair changing)

How?    (magic hairpills)

Why?    (Chromadex share prices)

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By