* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1951 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

C´mon Mike DC. This needs a reference. You are starting to sound like a late-night infomercial.

Who? (asian lady)
Where? (asia!)
What? (something about hair changing)
How? (magic hairpills)
Why? (Chromadex share prices)

My friend’s mother
They live in Canada

I posted this because she is the first Asian whose hair color has changed. My grey hair has not changed much. Only a few changed to black.
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1952 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:49 AM

ok you,   you made me giggle.   Bc i was thinking the same.   Sheesh online discussions are getting more and more ludicrous with the sleazy seeming sales pitches.  But that one was pretty silly.   For one thing hair is easily dyed.   Secondly,   that picture showed nothing.     I trusted this site -- and still do mostly --  but my GOD.   Ha!

• Agree x 2
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1953 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

Translate:
my mothers hair were all white. Now some are tiring black.
Picture
Used Niagen for 2 years.

Attached Files

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1

#1954 LawrenceW

• 402 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

MikeDC, on 17 Oct 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:snapback.png

post-3486-0-94850900-1539896402_thumb.jp 
78 year old Asian lady. Hair was all white before NR. 250mg per day for two years

Infomercial Mike.

A person's hair grows an average of 6 inches per year.  This hair looks to be almost 2 feet long so the oldest hair would be 2 years old. But she has only been taking NR for 2 years so that means that you are asking us to believe that her hair started growing in as black as soon as she started taking NR?

Edited by LawrenceW, 19 October 2018 - 11:43 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1955 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

MikeDC, on 17 Oct 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:snapback.png

Infomercial Mike.

A person's hair grows an average of 6 inches per year. This hair looks to be almost 2 feet long so the oldest hair would be 2 years old. But she has only been taking NR for 2 years so that means that you are asking us to believe that her hair started growing in as black as soon as she started taking NR?

NMN pumpers has to resort to fabrication to discredit NR. The picture I posted has short hair less than one feet.
  • Agree x 3
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#1956 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:07 PM

Wow user Fredrik replaced the picture when he quoted Mike's post. I think an admin should ban @Fredrik.

Mike I noticed the patches of black hair in the origonal picture you posted. I think its inline with other observations of gradual improvement.

#1957 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:42 PM

Wow user Fredrik replaced the picture when he quoted Mike's post. I think an admin should ban @Fredrik.

Mike I noticed the patches of black hair in the origonal picture you posted. I think its inline with other observations of gradual improvement.

OMG, I really thought you guys would recognize the ghost of Sadako from the 1998 wildly successful Japanese horror movie THE RING (リング Ringu) and get a chuckle out of it.

So it was a joke to use the scary long haired ghost from the movie, not an attempt to deceive. Sorry if I mislead anyone. 

Now go rent/download the Japanese original version of THE RING in time for Halloween.

Boo! 

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Ring_(film)

fqykdsoc7jdbpgxdi8wc.jpg

Edited by Fredrik, 19 October 2018 - 08:50 PM.

• Cheerful x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#1958 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:18 AM

frederick honestly,   this is ridiculous.    NO ONE would have thought your intent was nefarious,   although it was snarky.   And funny.    It's called a joke.

That being said....I don't get it.   I only saw the one picture   (the original and real one of the friend)  and saw NO BLACK HAIR except at the very back bottom.   Not sure if you people realize this or not,   but grays and balding and damage usually if not always are at the front and sides,   then the middle,   but rarely extend all the way to the back for a while.   Go look at someone with mostly gray hair.   Someone around this woman's age with similar features and nationality.   The way gray hair works is that it is not actually without color.  White hair is without color.   Grey hair has some color still.    People just think all grey means truly all grey,   but it doesn't. There can easily be hairs of color mixed in,  but if there is more grey hair then it appears "all grey."  I say this as someone who works with hair.    This is not to say that Niagen doesn't work,   but rather that this one woman's picture of the back of her head -- ONE PICTURE --   really doesn't serve as great evidence for this claim,   whether true or not.   

Now the scary girl from The Ring....that's another story.   She needs to stop crawling after people and maiming them.

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#1959 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

“my mothers hair were all white. Now some are turning black.”
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1960 brian1965

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:29 AM

“my mothers hair were all white. Now some are turning black.”

Mike, if her hair was truly "all white" two years ago, then this is impressive.

Folks, if you open up the picture fully, the picture is very high resolution and the newer black hair strands (under the white hair) are very clear.

• Good Point x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#1961 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

well if she's happy then great.   But I just did my friend's roots today --  best way to tell is look at new growth of someone whose hair you have done the last couple of months --  and she is trialing the same stuff as me  (Niagen in the blue bottle.)   We have been giving it several months on and off.   I am probably going to stop when I reach the end of this bottle as I never saw a single thing from it.   And trust me,   her roots are exactly the same as in the past (plus new greys over time.)   I am doing mine tonight,   so I'll take a gander but honestly?  I am expecting zero difference.  

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1962 PAMPAGUY

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Posted Today, 06:12 PM

Here is something to think about.  Dr. Peter Attia just had a podcast with Dr. Sinclair and he argues that NR and all NAD precussors raise the NAD levels, but the NAD never gets out of the liver into the mitochondria.  Feels it is a waste of money and time to take precussors unless you take it IV.

https://www.scienced...01967?via=ihub=

Im not off NR until more data is available.  Maybe IV.

Edited by PAMPAGUY, Today, 06:24 PM.

Edited by PAMPAGUY, 31 October 2018 - 06:02 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1963 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

Here is something to think about.  Dr. Peter Attia just had a podcast with Dr. Sinclair and he argues that NR and all NAD precussors raise the NAD levels, but the NAD never gets out of the liver into the mitochondria.  Feels it is a waste of money and time to take precussors unless you take it IV.

That podcast was with his partner.  The podcast with Sinclair isn't out yet.

The study he referenced used 50 mg/kg in mice and seems to show no NR or NMN escape the liver.  So Attia says IV maybe the only way to bypass the liver.  

But he is ignoring or not aware that Sublingual NR/NMN does much the same thing as IV in bypassing the liver.

Also, we don't know if larger dosages might allow some NR/NMN to overwhelm the liver and make it through.

Also, we don't know if there is benefit from CD38 being used in the liver to break the NAD+ back down to NAM.  Is MORE CD38 created in response to the increased NR/NMN/NAD+, or, is existing CD38 used in the liver, sparing NAD+ levels elsewhere in the body.

Also, he is repeating some outdated or bad info.   NAD+ DOES enter into some cells at least, and the NAD+ IV clinics are not the quackery that Brenner/Chromadex claim.

Attia is brilliant.  I learn so much from him.  But think he hasn't exactly taken a deep dive on NAD+ yet.

Edited by able, 31 October 2018 - 06:20 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1964 Oakman

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

I think the operative word here is "oral", because oral NAD precursors rarely get out of the liver, short of overloading the liver's capacity to detoxify it immediately, whereupon some my 'spill over' and get into plasma.

Of course, this is why there is so much interest in alternate delivery routes, sublingual, buccal, IV, etc. for the same precursors as they get past the liver detox process for a time and so can reach other tissues, potentially allowing their direct use there.

Edited by Oakman, 31 October 2018 - 06:19 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1965 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

Even though only small fractions of NR and NMN escape the liver into blood and other organs, higher plasma NAD+, NR, and NMN will act as precursors for other organs. Do you care if the NR in the plasma is from the original supplementation or formed in the liver and secreted to the plasma?

I don’t think there is any doubt NR provide much more anti aging effects than NAM.

Edited by MikeDC, 31 October 2018 - 06:22 PM.

• Good Point x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1

#1966 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:35 PM

Hi Pampa and other friends, these are very relevant contributions but why place them here? I hope Michael can squeeze in your posts into one of his vast array of threads :) .

• Agree x 2

#1967 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

Last night I took a gram LE NR sublingually (somewhat) and in fairly close proximity to 3/4 of a gram of NMN. This morning I awoke early with the characteristic NR-fog I'd become intermittently unaccustomed to. When I experimented with very larges doses of NR last year, I experienced waves of remarkable clarity and troughs of brain-fog accompanied with some anxiety, the oft reported jitteriness. Also I noticed a boil which surfaced during that experimental period become sensitive. I subsequently noted this was likely due to uric acid, elevated levels of which I confidently, but subjectively, attributed to NR. I've long held the untested belief of being an under methylator, which likely explains the NR-fog (there was a video posted purporting there to be evidence NR reduces methylation). Anyhow, this morning I promptly took 1.5 grams of TMG and the fog quickly cleared (previously unobserved). Additionally, this afternoon, I have felt especially lucid.  

#1968 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:14 PM

Also, I noted a modest but dull kidney ache today, which I'd not experinced for some time. Again I relate this to elevated uric acid levels - the problem was quite chronic last year, which I believe was triggered by very high doses of NR.

#1969 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

I was a very early adopter of taking NR, very soon after Bryan_S started his Curated thread.  At the time I went through a total health implosion and I felt NR helped me to get on my feet again. But after that I noticed nothing special for years. I turned 66 in March and in May (I think) MyDNAge guesstimated my bio-age 61.

Sixty days ago, after reading up on Resveratrol and Fisetin I switched to a brand of supplements that per daily serving gives 250mgNR,150mgQuercetin,100 mgResveratrol,10mgFisetin and some more polyphenols. I take 2 servings per day to get my preferred amount of NR. I take it well before breakfrast together with 600mgNAC and 4mgs of Garlic extract to promote H2S.

My motivation was that Resveratrol is not just a very positive molecule but also is said to raise NAD in vitro and lab animals. Q & F have as additional functions that they protect Resveratrol against  hepatic onslaught. The supplement is expensive but it does provide me with a lot of interesting molecules. Convenient to have them in one capsule.

A few days after I started taking it I noticed that  I felt particularly well-rested upon awakening. If I had to put it into words: I felt more relaxation and 'space' within the brain and spinal column. My resting heart rate (measured by Samsung Health app on waking up) that stubbornly never went below 65bpm now varies from 59bpm to 70bpm. I have more endurance in the gym and looking into the mirror I see more muscle, better definition without losing weight. This phenomenon has been going on for two months now and I love it.

As we always say: no causation proven. But for me personally this is clearly the way to go forward.

• Informative x 2

#1970 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

I was a very early adopter of taking NR, very soon after Bryan_S started his Curated thread.  At the time I went through a total health implosion and I felt NR helped me to get on my feet again. But after that I noticed nothing special for years. I turned 66 in March and in May (I think) MyDNAge guesstimated my bio-age 61.

Sixty days ago, after reading up on Resveratrol and Fisetin I switched to a brand of supplements that per daily serving gives 250mgNR,150mgQuercetin,100 mgResveratrol,10mgFisetin and some more polyphenols. I take 2 servings per day to get my preferred amount of NR. I take it well before breakfrast together with 600mgNAC and 4mgs of Garlic extract to promote H2S.

My motivation was that Resveratrol is not just a very positive molecule but also is said to raise NAD in vitro and lab animals. Q & F have as additional functions that they protect Resveratrol against  hepatic onslaught. The supplement is expensive but it does provide me with a lot of interesting molecules. Convenient to have them in one capsule.

A few days after I started taking it I noticed that  I felt particularly well-rested upon awakening. If I had to put it into words: I felt more relaxation and 'space' within the brain and spinal column. My resting heart rate (measured by Samsung Health app on waking up) that stubbornly never went below 65bpm now varies from 59bpm to 70bpm. I have more endurance in the gym and looking into the mirror I see more muscle, better definition without losing weight. This phenomenon has been going on for two months now and I love it.

As we always say: no causation proven. But for me personally this is clearly the way to go forward.

Looks like that product you are using (LifeExtension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ with Resveratrol) has been discontinued, everywhere I have looked is listing it as discontinued. I'm guessing it has become victim to Chromadex's new policy of not supplying NR to other companies and selling it directly themselves (TrueNiagen)

#1971 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:45 PM

That's bad news! For now I have ample supply because of the quantum discount. But in a couple of months I will have to start combining separate supps. If I can, because the Fisetin thing might not blow over that quickly... :mellow:

#1972 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:13 PM

It seems to still be available. If you buy 4, it is around $32.

https://www.lifeexte...ith-Resveratrol

Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ with Resveratrol

Edited by Heisok, 06 December 2018 - 07:17 PM.

• Informative x 1

#1973 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:35 PM

Looks like that product you are using (LifeExtension Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ with Resveratrol) has been discontinued, everywhere I have looked is listing it as discontinued. I'm guessing it has become victim to Chromadex's new policy of not supplying NR to other companies and selling it directly themselves (TrueNiagen)

No, is still available here:

https://www.lifeexte...tarian-capsules

#1974 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

May I ask why do you think its not the NAC?

#1975 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

It seems to still be available. If you buy 4, it is around $32.

https://www.lifeexte...ith-Resveratrol

Optimized NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ with Resveratrol

No, is still available here:

https://www.lifeexte...tarian-capsules

OK, thanks.

Maybe just a UK thing...

• Good Point x 1

#1976 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:55 AM

May I ask why do you think its not the NAC?

It might very well be the NAC. I have never tried NAC before. One way to find out would perhaps be to skip  NAC for a few weeks, but I am not ready to tinker with this subjectively succesful formula.

#1977 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

It might very well be the NAC. I have never tried NAC before. One way to find out would perhaps be to skip  NAC for a few weeks, but I am not ready to tinker with this subjectively succesful formula.

DOnt change a winning formula. I have added 2g taurine a day for H2S and I also perceive it is usefull. Will try NAC next month.

#1978 hd98

• 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:10 PM

I've been taking NR since late September 2017 along with pterostilbene and l-carnosine and want to share some blood test samples of before taking NR and after.

First test taken September 2017 right before supplementation. 2nd test from August 2018.

Attached File  blood test.pdf   188.53KB   60 downloads

Edited by hd98, 15 December 2018 - 03:18 PM.

• Informative x 3

#1979 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

I've been taking NR since late September 2017 along with pterostilbene and l-carnosine and want to share some blood test samples of before taking NR and after.

First test taken September 2017 right before supplementation. 2nd test from August 2018.

attachicon.gif blood test.pdf

Very nice!   Care to share some more details, such as your age, approximate dosage, and if you had any changes to other meds, diet, or exercise during the last year?

• like x 1

#1980 hd98

• 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

Very nice!   Care to share some more details, such as your age, approximate dosage, and if you had any changes to other meds, diet, or exercise during the last year?

NR: 375mg a day, first thing in the morning on empty stomach

Pterostilbene. 50mg in the morning, another 50mg in the evening after dinner

L-Carnosine - 500mg in the morning, another 500mg in the evening after dinner

Don't really take any other meds except for hayfever tablets.

No changes to diet. Quite unhealthy in this regards. Addicted to KFC and coke.  :wacko:

No changes to exercise. In fact, I think I've been less active than I used to be.

Doctor had said if my triglyceride levels went up any more I was at high risk of becoming diabetic. Thought that my cholesterol levels were getting a bit high too and was about to put me on meds for this as well. Now he's satisfied with both.  :)

• Informative x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By