nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#2071 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

<p>

/off The ratings are so time wasting and egotistical. I was usually ignoring the nameless mean ratings but a few posts above a guy asked 2 QUESTIONS and all of the rating were invalid (see the below list). How can a QUESTION ill informed? How can you agree or DISAGREE with a question? I don't think that huge egos will allow people to have the CLARITY for serious life extension in the future. Chill. /on
Regarding the previous post regarding the EXPERIENCE about the different fillers under tongue is interesting, still negative feedback... It's like everyone is a type-A personality here :D
My experience also that too much Niagen can make me feel jittery, irritated, not being able to focus, so I take different supplements for that so I'm not mean with everybody :D. What's the point of energy if it's not focused? So it's a good nootropic but not in a high dose unless the energy is contained. Just my personal experience.

• LCbfacts.png Ill informed x 2
  • LCbtimewaste.png Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • thumb.png Disagree x 1
Hi Mate, don’t get too bothered by negative feedback, this post will probably get downvoted too by idiots but just know that like most forums there exists a lot of toxic members. So just ignore it

As for your NR experience, would you be able to share the supplements you take to counter act the irritability side effect you’ve been experiencing?

Someone I know gave up NR for that very same reason even one tablet would make him very irritated and agitated mentally and he would be really mean to people. Interesting u had the same side effect this might be an issue with NR for some people.

Edited by Ambrosia, 27 January 2019 - 10:46 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2072 accord

• 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Hi Mate, don’t get too bothered by negative feedback, this post will probably get downvoted too by idiots but just know that like most forums there exists a lot of toxic members. So just ignore it

As for your NR experience, would you be able to share the supplements you take to counter act the irritability side effect you’ve been experiencing?

Someone I know gave up NR for that very same reason even one tablet would make him very irritated and agitated mentally and he would be really mean to people. Interesting u had the same side effect this might be an issue with NR for some people.

I mainly use Magnesium L-Threonate and L-Theanine. Over the years I realized that not only GABA needs to be increased (for me for focus), but also, reducing Glutamate levels or Glutamate receptor sensitivity can be a good bet too.

Regarding your friend's experience, maybe he was also drinking coffee? Just a wild guess. Both coffee and Niagen can make people irritable so combining the two may not for everyone. But for me, one pill would not be enough for that :-) I've also developed some tolerance over the years, so I don't react to it so strong. Sublingual restored a stronger reaction though, for now, which is good.

• Good Point x 1

#2073 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:49 AM

I think what I wrote is a personal experience relevant for sublingual use. To add to my previous post: I found still one of the old HPN capsules with 125mg NR. It is clearly bigger so I now believe the reduced amount of filler is the main cause of better effect with TN.

I don’t doubt your findings, I’ve personally settled with TN after trying various brands which didn’t absorb as well sublingually. Also TN is confirmed to be low molecular weight which explains better sublingual absorption. Its not as simple as “it’s the exact same product since chromadex supplies them” ppl don’t take into account fillers etc. Having said that I’m sure there are equally good products maybe from Thorne? Etc

Ofcourse won’t stop idiots accusing you of being a shill and down voting your posts.

I mainly use Magnesium L-Threonate and L-Theanine. Over the years I realized that not only GABA needs to be increased (for me for focus), but also, reducing Glutamate levels or Glutamate receptor sensitivity can be a good bet too.
Regarding your friend's experience, maybe he was also drinking coffee? Just a wild guess. Both coffee and Niagen can make people irritable so combining the two may not for everyone. But for me, one pill would not be enough for that :-) I've also developed some tolerance over the years, so I don't react to it so strong. Sublingual restored a stronger reaction though, for now, which is good.

Hell yeah Sublingual NR for the win!
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2074 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

I cut back caffeine drastically after starting NR. It's been two years on NR now and it's working for me... I think most of us are over-caffeinated anyway ;)

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2075 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:36 PM

I cut back caffeine drastically after starting NR. It's been two years on NR now and it's working for me... I think most of us are over-caffeinated anyway ;)

I still take my morning coffee with NR gives me an extra boost. Agreed though on the occasional day If i skip coffee due to being too busy I don’t miss the caffeine as much anymore. In the past I’d be scrambling to get my shot of espresso!

Edited by Ambrosia, 02 February 2019 - 01:38 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2076 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:02 AM

amazon now carries the pure NR powder 

https://www.amazon.c..._lig_dp_it&th=1

has anyone tried this pure NR powder sublingually? 

Is it just so awful tasting that it doesn't work? 

thanks 

Edited by Phoebus, 08 February 2019 - 12:26 AM.

#2077 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:57 AM

amazon now carries the pure NR powder 

https://www.amazon.c..._lig_dp_it&th=1

has anyone tried this pure NR powder sublingually? 

Is it just so awful tasting that it doesn't work? 

thanks 

Tastes ok, but only because it is about 21% NR.  The rest is a sweetener, but the guy selling it doesn't even know what, since it is not listed on the label.

The seller in Texas packages to order, and shipped with the COA attached, which says 96% purity, and 21% NR Content.

When I called him up to ask, he seemed like a nice old guy that just didn't realize what the Chinese mfg had sold him.  He seemed upset and unaware, but could have just been playing dumb, but didn't seem like it. 

Sorry I forgot to report this earlier - I figured he would stop selling after I pointed it out to him, and I forgot all about it until just now.

• Good Point x 3

#2078 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:18 AM

Tastes ok, but only because it is about 21% NR.  The rest is a sweetener, but the guy selling it doesn't even know what, since it is not listed on the label.

The seller in Texas packages to order, and shipped with the COA attached, which says 96% purity, and 21% NR Content.

When I called him up to ask, he seemed like a nice old guy that just didn't realize what the Chinese mfg had sold him.  He seemed upset and unaware, but could have just been playing dumb, but didn't seem like it. 

Sorry I forgot to report this earlier - I figured he would stop selling after I pointed it out to him, and I forgot all about it until just now.

oh you have got to be kidding me!

wow, thanks for letting me. You dont know what sweetner it is? Most artificial sweetners make me sick to my stomach so this will likely not work. 

#2079 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

oh you have got to be kidding me!

wow, thanks for letting me. You dont know what sweetner it is? Most artificial sweetners make me sick to my stomach so this will likely not work. 

It seems very similar to the HPN NR powder.  I can't recall if it was inulin or chicory, but it had similar taste and the same gumminess when trying to take sublingual. I think is designed for sprinkling in smoothies and probably works well for that, but  no go for sublingual. 

Sometimes buying on Amazon is a real crap-shoot.  

I was gonna add that you need to stick to known brands, then remembered how even HPN is pulling a fast one with their new "NAD3" stuff. Oh well.

• Good Point x 4

#2080 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:20 AM

https://synapse.kore...nrp.2019.13.1.3

RESULTS

Cytotoxicity of NR was examined by PrestoBlue assay. Exposure to NR had no effect on cell viability or morphology. Gene expression of sirtuin 1 (Sirt1) and Sirt3 was significantly upregulated by NR in PA-treated hepatocytes. However, Sirt1 activities were increased in hepatocytes treated with low-dose NR. Hepatic pro-inflammatory markers including tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 were decreased in NR-treated cells. NR upregulated anti-inflammatory molecule adiponectin, and, tended to down-regulate hepatokine fetuin-A in PA-treated hepatocytes, suggesting its inverse regulation on these cytokines. NR increased levels of mitochondrial markers including peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator-1α, carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1, uncoupling protein 2, transcription factor A, mitochondrial and mitochondrial DNA in PA-treated hepatocytes.

CONCLUSIONS

These data demonstrated that NR attenuated hepatic inflammation and increased levels of mitochondrial markers in hepatocytes.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2081 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:11 AM

https://synapse.kore...nrp.2019.13.1.3

. NR increased levels of mitochondrial markers including peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator-1α, carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1, uncoupling protein 2, transcription factor A, mitochondrial and mitochondrial DNA in PA-treated hepatocytes.

Thats a good thing I am assuming? I am unfamiliar with these markers 

• Off-Topic x 1

#2082 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

In Small Trial, EH301 Appears to Halt Progression of ALS

https://www.alzforum...progression-als

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#2083 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

I have been away for a while. I feel I need to get the record straight about the new NMN transporter that LawrenceW has been pumping in every NAD+ thread. The NMN transporter is only meaningfully expressed in intestine. As shown by previous studies, NMN transport in all other cells is too small to be detected. The NMN transport in the intestine is also very small and gets saturated in a few minutes. The results of all previous studies are still valid. The new NMN transporter just gives Sinclair and LawrenceW bragging rights, nothing else.
  • Disagree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • unsure x 1

#2084 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:07 PM

https://bioengineeri...age-159054.html

What all this translates into is a significant improvement in the ability of HSCs to divide and produce new blood cells. The study shows, for the first time, that nicotinamide riboside as a dietary supplement can have a significant positive effect on preventing blood-recovery problems in cancer patients, even after chemo- or radio-therapy.

“We expect nicotinamide riboside and other mitochondrial modulators to become a complementary approach for increasing stem cell fitness and accelerating blood production, either through dietary supplementation or pharmacological administration,”

• Informative x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#2085 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

Very interesting study. 

One solution to this is to boost the divisions of so-called hematopoietic (“blood-making”) stem cells (HSCs); these are the stem cells that produce the various types of blood cells in our bodies – red, white etc. So, pushing HSCs to divide faster would be ideal; the question is

Would it though? Would that be ideal long term on an ongoing basis? Isn't that the point Turnbuckle makes is that you don't want to be in that phase continually? Or maybe I am misunderstanding the issue? 

• Good Point x 1

#2086 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:08 PM

I.E. Joint Pain

Recently, I stumbled across posts about joint pain and possible correlations to pterostilbene and/or NAD+ precursors, such as NR or even NMN. Having performed a site-wide Google search on this issue and reading various anecdotes, I am now convinced I need to make some changes.

I am 38 years old, as of January.

Short Explanation of my Experience:

4.5-5.5 Months Ago: NMN + Pterostilbene supplementation begins. Sleep occurs a little more on the weekends after heavy exercise throughout the week.

3.5 Months Ago: Take NR during some cycles and then back to NMN. Significantly more sleep, but I was probably the most active I have been since my teenager years. (This ended in tendon injury.)

2.5 Months Ago: C60 protocol begins with continued NR and NMN use. Sleep levels off slightly but is still higher than the "4.5-5.5 month ago period."

2 to 1.5 Month Ago: Fission/fusion promotion protocol begins. C60 protocol continues (fusion days only). Sleep volume is EPIC as of late. How in the world am I sleeping 12-15 hours most days of the week?

I have had significant issues with over-sleeping too, but I am mostly interested in the significant joint issues I have been having.

Detail of Joint Issues:

At the 3.5 month ago mark, I began using NR. I also switched from Aikido classes to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) classes. The BJJ classes were significantly more strenuous, and the ENTIRE time, I was having significant joint issues. I have never experienced anything like this in my life, and consequently, I did not let it stop me. I grit my teeth and bore the pain. Unfortunately, this ended in a hip flexor injury that even affected my ability to walk. NOTE: There was never any obvious reason why this happened. To be specific, no one jumped on my legs the wrong way or anything weird like that. The pain just sort of began one day, along with joint pain in my shoulders, neck, both wrists, and both ankles! The pain was worse in my left wrist, shoulders, and hip. I even wore a wrist brace to practice after the first 2 weeks, and I tried wearing a hip brace to prevent re-injury during sleep (which happened frequently for both wrist and hip).

A week or so ago, I began a heavier exercise program (finally), albeit still FAR from where I was. This resulted in significant joint pain behind my elbows after the 1st or 2nd day. It dissipated, however, after a few days.

Fast forward to today, most join paint has subsided, but it is still present in my left wrist and in my middle finger on my right hand (jamb during BJJ practice). I also still am dealing with hip flexor issues. On top of that, when doing push-ups, my shoulders pop almost like snap-pop firecrackers.

My Reaction:

Naturally, I just figured I was getting old and couldn't handle the level of exercise. However, there are other older participants at BJJ that were RUNNING CIRCLES around me (in other words, they've had no issues practicing for 1+ years at ages >38 years). Also, I could tell people generally thought the joint issues I experienced were odd/unusual.

I began taking EVERY joint supplement under the sun to offset this, and it did help somewhat, but not really. The only time I saw a significant improvement was when I stopped BJJ practice for 1 week, and then when I completely stopped when I decided I was headed potentially for a wheelchair, due to the hip flexor / walking issues.

Plan of Action:

1. Drop Pterostilbene - This seems to be the obvious first step, due to the site-wide Google search I linked above.

2. If no improvement occurs after 1 month, drop all NAD+ precursors.

3. If no improvement occurs, maybe drop all supplements as I have seen some describe.

I will report what happens here.

Here is a mash-up of my current stack:

I take no rest in between fission/fusion cycling. A fission day always follows a fusion day and vice-versa.

Fission / Senolytic Day

- TruNiagen NR sublingual x 300 mg x 2 times a day (I open the capsules up, but I only started doing that in the last 2 weeks. Before then, I was just taking the full pills.)

- Quercetin

- Cinnamon

- B Complex Sublingual

Fusion Day (I know people are going to say NMN is not a fusion promoter, but look at this post.)

- NMN sublingual x 250mg x 3 times a day

- BroccoMax (sulforaphane)

- Turmeric Curcumin

- Niacin

- C60 in olive oil

Every Day

- Pterostilbene

- Tart Cherry Extract (love this stuff, been taking it for years)

- Ubiquinol (CoQ10)

- Vegan Daily Vitamin (I am a vegetarian at this point, been taking these for years.)

- Hyaluronic acid (added to combat recent joint issues)

- FIsh Oil (have taken this for my eyes for years)

- Glucosamine Sulfate (been taking on and off for years, added to combat joint issues)

- Alpha Lipoic Acid (been taking this for many, many years)

- Acetyl L-Carnitine (also been taking this for many, many years)

- Vitamin D3 (started in January)

- Lion's Mane Mushroom Extract

Most Days (sometimes I forget these, but generally they are every day)

- Bromelain

- Rutin

Every Evening (began ~1 month ago)

- 12g collagen peptides (began this about a month ago or so, mostly due to blasted tendon issues)

- GABA oral (for elastin promotion)

- 1g Lysine

I also am using a topical cream as described in the elastin promotion thread, but I can rule that out in terms of these joint issues.

Edited by jgkyker, 13 March 2019 - 08:01 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2087 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

I.E. Joint Pain

Recently, I stumbled across posts about joint pain and possible correlations to pterostilbene and/or NAD+ precursors, such as NR or even NMN. Having performed a site-wide Google search on this issue and reading various anecdotes, I am now convinced I need to make some changes.

As for the sleep I am sure I read in the C60/stem cell thread that others have seen an increase in the need for sleep when doing the stem cell protocol. 

As for joint issues, can't say as what might be causing it but all of the anecdotal evidence I have seen from NR/NMN has been that they reduce joint issues, so I doubt its that. 

How much hyaluronic acid are you taking? I have discovered that HA is best taken in bulk form. Basically you get the bulk powder HA, add some to water, let it gel up for about 1/2 hr or so, then drink it down. First off its way cheaper which allows you to take a lot. I did a lot of research on HA and there have been literally zero negative side effects reported, one of the safest supplements you can take. So get the bulk powder and take a lot of it dont be shy. I think taking the dry powder in a pill form just doesn't cut it, thats been my experience anyway. 

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2088 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

As for joint issues, can't say as what might be causing it but all of the anecdotal evidence I have seen from NR/NMN has been that they reduce joint issues, so I doubt its that. 

How much hyaluronic acid are you taking?

Here are some posts I dredged up of people discussing joint pain while on NR (they don't prove anything, of course):

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791244

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=823313

https://www.longecit...-29#entry790333

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=721744

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=813402

(person in their 20s) https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=833973

(cramps - no joint pain) https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791203

And joint pain on pterostilbene:

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=534245

A bottle of pterostilbene should come with a wheelchair as an essential co-factor.

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=537188

I have not been able to find any regarding NMN.

This is just a quick look through the search results. I might have spent 30-45 minutes diving into all 3 searches.

I completely agree though that there are many more people that have a positive effect, meaning NR and NMN reduce joint pain. For instance, if you do a search for "joint pain NMN," there is nothing I could immediately see pointing to joint pain issues, quite the opposite actually. It seemed similar on a search for "joint pain NR," although I was able to find some posts about pain. The more obvious issue seems to occur when I search for "joint pain pterostilbene." However, this is also where I found most of the NR posts discussing joint pain issues.

Perhaps, those experiencing less joint pain are not really doing strenuous exercise. Maybe joint pain only occurs on pterostilbene (or NR?) when there is extremely intense exercise involved. Or, maybe it affects a small subset of the population negatively. I have no idea. There are a million possibilities, I suppose. However, I believe at this point, it is prudent for me to explore eliminating pterostilbene and then potentially all NAD+ precursors. If I do eliminate NAD+ precursors, I will experiment to see if NMN supplementation affects me differently than NR supplementation in this regard, as I did not have the issue until I began NR supplementation. (In other words, when I was initially using NMN only, I did not recognize this issue... but I also was not exercising at an extremely high level.)

I am only taking 100mg a day of hyaluronic acid. It sounds like it probably is doing nothing, based on your knowledge.

Oh yeah, and the only prescription I am on is finasteride.

Edited by jgkyker, 13 March 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#2089 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Unfortunately, I’m back to describe another incident from taking Niagen. Previously last year I had possibly thought Niagen had something to do with some chest pains in the right side sternum area. Stopping Niagen did cause this to subside after a period of time. I did, however, resume Niagen and all seemed well. I could not definitively say that the pains and their eventual disappearance was caused by Niagen, but it was a bit strange.

Fast forward  to the March/April timeframe this year where I was taking 250mg/250mg Niagen in an AM/PM schedule. I was also doing resistance weights ~x5/week. Things were normal. Starting in May I began to notice my upper left arm feeling some tinges of a strain. I really didn’t think much of it... pains come and go away while training. Then in May I changed to a 500mg/250mg AM/PM schedule of Niagen for no particular reason, just experimenting.

By the end of May the strained arm became an issue I wasn’t able to ignore. I stopped upper body resistance training, basically anything using my arm. I figured that doing nothing upper body would let the arm rest and all would eventually be well again in time. That's what I usually experience with pains.

The problem itself was what felt like a strained muscle and/or tendon/ligament all up and down between the elbow and shoulder, biceps side. Worse, I couldn’t raise my arm due to shoulder joint pain. Things that came to mind were perhaps developing arthritis and/or whatever I’d done somehow in training causing inflammation. However, it didn’t get better with resting it for eight weeks, in fact, it got worse and worse, and occasionally maybe marginally better, but never going away. I simply was losing the ability to do anything useful with the left arm. I could not even sleep on that side due to the pain.

So fast forward to last weekend, I had to do something different to change this. It seems silly now, but I had never thought of Niagen as a potential culprit for these pains. However, with nothing to lose, I did stop completely July 28th.

Almost immediately my arm started to feel better. Now yesterday and today, August 3rd, I’ve resumed some upper body resistance training with only minimal pain, something I was completely unable to do just last week. The shoulder now has full movement with only a bit of pain. This major improvement is all within a week of stopping supplementation.

My initial reaction is, “What to hell?” I’m left wondering just what is it about Niagen that can cause some random body muscles / tendons / ligaments (not sure which combination exactly), to become inflamed and irritated? Why does this happen only in a specific area, not all over the body? Is long term NR use not well advised? Does some effect of NR accumulate and eventually cause these problems? Or should a washout period be used regularly to minimize this?

There’s also the question of interaction with other supplements I take, which are a lot. Could that be a problem? If I was simply taking Niagen alone would it be fine at any dose? Lot’s of questions.

For now I’m off Niagen, and I’m thinking I’ll start again in a few weeks, seeing how I feel... possibly at the 125 mg or 250 mg daily dose and cycle it. In the mean time... my suggestion is… if you notice any muscle pains or weakness, remember what I experienced.

After re-reading the above quote 3 times, I'm deciding to cut pterostilbene AND NR. I am completely sick and tired of this tendon crap I have been dealing with for MONTHS.

I'll continue NMN use... I cannot find anyone anywhere making similar claims about NMN. If someone can find that, PLEASE share, because I will cut that out too.

Once I heal, which apparently only takes a couple of weeks, I will reevaluate.

Edited by jgkyker, 13 March 2019 - 10:21 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • dislike x 1

#2090 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:46 AM

Could it be that you have simply been much more physically active while on NR and this activity is the cause for your tendon problems?

#2091 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

Could it be that you have simply been much more physically active while on NR and this activity is the cause for your tendon problems?

Yes, that is what I initially thought. However, now, I have read other people report their joint pain issues disappear when they eliminate NR or pterostilbene from their diet, and when they add NR or pterostilbene back, their joint pain issues return. This is why it is also possible that eliminating NR and pterostilbene will resolve my issue, and trust me on this, if there is a low-risk chance I can eliminate this problem, I am taking that chance.

Describing symptoms disappearing after stopping NR, from: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=823313

So fast forward to last weekend, I had to do something different to change this. It seems silly now, but I had never thought of Niagen as a potential culprit for these pains. However, with nothing to lose, I did stop completely July 28th.

Almost immediately my arm started to feel better. Now yesterday and today, August 3rd, I’ve resumed some upper body resistance training with only minimal pain, something I was completely unable to do just last week. The shoulder now has full movement with only a bit of pain. This major improvement is all within a week of stopping supplementation.

I also found another report of cartilage issue/pain while on NR. They link chest pain to cartilage issues:

https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791282

In the last month, I've developed costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage of the sternum, which is a fairly good possibility for being the root cause of your problem in your chest.  Additionally, I've had a general increase in tendon pain pretty much everywhere.

This all could be coincidence.  I am after all now 50.  But, it does seem a little suspicious.

Describing symptoms disappearing after stopping NR and reappearing after restarting it: https://www.longecit...-29#entry791244

> Sept 3 - I stopped all supplements and, similar to Nate-2004, I take a bunch, probably too many. Still, although I had added several (including Niagen) recently this summer, I have taken many others for years.  But the chest pain scared me enough to stop everything.

> Sept 21 - chest, foot pain much reduced, start taking ONLY Niagen, trans-pterostilbene, D-Aspartic Acid.

> Sept 24 - chest pain back

> Sept 27 - stop everything

> Oct 3 - chest tightness gone, foot pain gone. Start some supplements - the basics, Vit C, Carnatine, R-Lipoic Acid, Curcumin, mini-Multi, d-Lemonine, Gingo, quercetin

> Oct 5 - all is well as of today

I have seen other posts like this.

Consider this one describing "arthritic symptoms" disappearing after eliminating NR: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=792821

The single change, i made to my supplements... is NR+.

I was taking 3 X 125mg. 

Since about 2 weeks ago I've been taking 0 mg.

What has happened in that 2 weeks ?

Before...  i would wake up in the middle of the night, if i turned over onto my left wrist.

Before...  I would cringe in pain, if i tried to take the lid off a glass jar.

Before...  most mornings, i would feel a tingling on the sole of my right foot.

Now...   I never wake up in the middle of the night...  my left wrist isn't sensitive any more.

Now...   I can open glass jars absent mindedly without any nasty painful surprises.

Now...   I never think about my foot when i wake up... that's because it doesn't tingle any more.

I went from having arthritis-like symptoms...  with pain... to normality...  in just 2 weeks.

The only change i made...  was  NR+.

Here is yet another post I have found describing tendon issues while on NR. These posts are definitely present throughout the site/thread: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=795998

I need to clarify this: I am not saying NR or pterostilbene are causing these issues. What I am saying is that there seem to be enough people on this site (and other sites too) complaining about joint pain while on NR or pterostilbene. I have experienced this too. They quit, and their symptoms disappeared. So, I am quitting too. I'll report if my symptoms get better, like theirs did.

I'm sharing this because other people have shared their experience of joint pain, and if history is precedent, there will be other people needing this information down the road. A primary point of this thread is to help us determine if there are negative consequences to supplements we are taking. Sure, it is great to hear about positive things, but let's face it, the negative stuff is FAR more important.

Another post, describing joint pain: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791748

I have experienced tendon discomfort after going on niagen too. Can't be just a coincidence. But my appetite is down which is a plus. Not sure about the other benefits but I will stay with it.

Another post, pointing to pterostilbene: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791283

Over the past several years I have had right sole pain, just starting into the arch where the ball of my foot meets it. Primarily on my right foot, but I have had it on the left as well. I have not had that happen since I have been on NR/Ubiquinol, but sometimes I could go a year or so without it. Interesting as I hadn't heard of others having sole pain that wasn't induced by trauma so I am glad to hear others have similar things. I have always thought it was perhaps a gout type of thing. As to other odd pains, joints/tendons and such, my wife and I have had them recently. My wife and I had started on pterostilbene for about a month before she tried NR and had developed pretty severe foot pain (enough to go to the doctor). She then added NR to the mix but it didn't help at all. I noticed around the same time she started feeling pain (we started taking pterostilbene around the same time, but I had already been on NR for some time) I started to have tendon type pains, especially in the areas where I had previous injuries. Because my wife was having the foot pain before the NR while on pterostilbene, we both eliminated pterostilbene from our supplements. Her foot has slowly been getting better and my tendon pains have disappeared. I am leaning towards pterostilbene as a possibility of your pain.

I HOPE it is pterostilbene for a few reasons:

1. It is cheap stuff, and I have no qualms throwing it in the garbage.

2. I genuinely believed that NR was doing positive things.

3. I still have 3 bottles of NR left.

However, I leave you with this person who never took pterostilbene and had multiple symptoms of pain, including wrist issues: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=791352

Perhaps pterostilbene makes it worse, but in my case at least, pterostilbene can be excluded as having been the cause.

Edited by jgkyker, 14 March 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 2

#2092 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

I reported it somewhere too - trans-pterostilbene gave me awful joint pain too. I would be very surprised if it wasn't the cause.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2093 Oakman

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:38 PM

I can add a bit of color to that experience from 1 1/2 years ago... fortunately the aches and pains disappeared quite some time ago. How is that? Eventually, I took a break from regularly doing weight training :)  So healing is good....also, at the time, the pain subsided with less NR. So I reduced to 250 mg/day with breakfast, no pterostilbene. That was major. My thought is that, over time, larger doses of NR lead to the problem. 

Beyond that, my personal results reflect adding more sulphur molecules to my diet. I decided on this strategy after suffering months with knee pain climbing stairs (after climbing a boulder strewn mountain ): ). Nothing was helping )typical joint supps) for months afterward until I took All-Gar (Allium sativum, bulb &  Allium ursinum leaf) supplement, twice a day. Soon, the knee issue was resolved and has stayed that way. I've tried stopping or changing garlic brands and some joints begin to act up a bit again, so returned to what worked - less NR & All-Gar.

I guess the lesson is - moderation in all things - more is not always better. Although I will say, I've not found any dose on NMN that caused problems up to 1 g/day anyway.

After re-reading the above quote 3 times, I'm deciding to cut pterostilbene AND NR. I am completely sick and tired of this tendon crap I have been dealing with for MONTHS.

I'll continue NMN use... I cannot find anyone anywhere making similar claims about NMN. If someone can find that, PLEASE share, because I will cut that out too.

Once I heal, which apparently only takes a couple of weeks, I will reevaluate.

Edited by Oakman, 14 March 2019 - 02:41 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#2094 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

I reported this ages ago, but I tore a tendon in my finger whilst doing high dose N+R. It's not surprising given nicotinamide will reduce mitochondria numbers and tendons have less mitochondria to start with. I haven't had similar issues on NMN, but with smaller sublingual doses throughout the day you're probably keeping the NAD+/NADH ratio high, but not spiking it to the same extent as taking grams of N + R in one go. But in theory nicotinamide could build up over time and give the same issues. So I'm staying off NMN atleast 2 days out of 7 (the weekend), just as a precaution, and I'd recommend the same for NR. Pterostilbene and resveratrol boost NAMPT, which in theory should convert NAM back to NMN, but NAMPT can be inflammatory so might contribute to joint pain. I haven't had this, but I've heard of others that have.
  • Informative x 1

#2095 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

There's also riboside - I had significant problems with uric acid from both NR and N+R at high doses. High uric acid can naturally cause joint problems:

https://www.longecit...nd-proteinuria/

• Informative x 1

#2096 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

There's also riboside - I had significant problems with uric acid from both NR and N+R at high doses. 

What do you consider to be a high dose of NR?

#2097 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

What do you consider to be a high dose of NR?

With NR I hit 7gms a day for but perhaps averaged 4 or 5 grams most days for a few weeks. I will probably give it another go at some point sublingually, as I felt there were some impressive effects (til the wheels fell off), but never orally again. 

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • Informative x 1

#2098 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:49 AM

With NR I hit 7gms a day for but perhaps averaged 4 or 5 grams most days for a few weeks. I will probably give it another go at some point sublingually, as I felt there were some impressive effects (til the wheels fell off), but never orally again. 

Wow, 7 gr/day? 

You aren't worried about crazy high NAM levels in your liver at that dosage? 

#2099 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

Wow, 7 gr/day? 

Well, it was only for a short while, I suspect the raised NAD would have been protective as well the considerable amount of c60oo. 

#2100 Vastmandana

• 123 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:47 PM

Wow, 7 gr/day?

It NEVER ceases to amaze me what members of a supposedly intellegent species will do with little to no data. Exploring such regimes without any chance of gathering REAL useful information goes on too often.

We live in an AMAZING moment when new insights continue to unfold and deserve consideration in adapting our lifestyles to improve our experience in this reality...doing stupid is...well, seems to be all too common these days.

Been using .5G sublingual for years now, initially using 1G orally... with a variety of other longevity lifestyles...use Senolytics along with a vast array of other healthy nutrient inputs, have recently transitioned to healthy Keto & am loving it, and remain very active... at 68 I feel pretty amazing amongst the waddling sea of humans I see around me

Edited by Vastmandana, 17 March 2019 - 04:56 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By