* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#2101 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:27 PM

I've been taking this for over a year now. 2 tablets a day. I would say good so far. 37 years old. Male. Asian.

I can't really complain. I don't really "know" of any improvements. Didn't feel any different.

I am contemplating if I need to add / replace with NMN due to seeing Sinclair video on Joe Rogan. But I also read that Michael Rae is skeptical of it.

https://www.longecit...on/#entry870978

• Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2102 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:49 AM

I'm pretty sure niagen was giving me canker sores. For those who don't know, canker sores really suck. I stopped and no more canker sores
  • Informative x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#2103 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:44 AM

I need to clarify this: I am not saying NR or pterostilbene are causing these issues. What I am saying is that there seem to be enough people on this site (and other sites too) complaining about joint pain while on NR or pterostilbene. I have experienced this too. They quit, and their symptoms disappeared. So, I am quitting too. I'll report if my symptoms get better, like theirs did.

Quick update on things, it has been about a week since I stopped taking NR and pterostilbene. My hip flexor issues seem to have calmed down substantially, which is HUGE to me. I was in this stagnation of pain where nothing would get better, for 2 months. Thank God for this thread. I would have never considered doing this without everyone's posts.

Wrist is still painful, but I attribute that to all the push-ups I'm doing lately (some days it is over 50).

I'll report back in another week.

Once things heal up, I want to try adding NR back in slowly, maybe just 150mg every other day to start. If the aforementioned pains return, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Pretty sure I'll never touch pterostilbene again... It will take some significant findings to change my mind anyway...

Edited by jgkyker, 20 March 2019 - 03:47 AM.

• Informative x 2

#2104 Reven

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:55 PM

I have been taking NR for approximately 6 weeks now.  I have mostly nothing but good things to say about how I feel.  The only negative is it's sometimes difficult to sleep (reduced dosing helps), but the increased energy during the day is incredible!  I often must wake up at 4 AM for work, and I require no caffeine on most days.  My whole body feels supercharged, even on minimal rest (I also suffer from mild/moderate sleep apnea).  My thinking and speech feels more fluid too. 

My exercise tolerance in particular is better than it was when I was 20 years old (currently 38).  Running my maximum heart rate up to 90% is nearly effortless, because it doesn't even feel like I'm under that much stress, so I have to be careful and monitor it more closely now so I don't go too high during HIIT exercises.  My stomach issues seem to have dissipated since taking NR.  I used to be very sensitive to things like caffeine, fatty foods, and alcohol, which triggered acid/nausea, but now my stomach is working as good as it used to. 

I did have to discontinue Pterostilbene, because I believe it caused my index finger's joint to swell and get stiff for a couple days.  After reading the forums I almost immediately concluded it was probably that substance causing issues.  Rather than taking TMG I also drink 8-12 ounces of high quality beet juice daily for methylation, nitric oxide production, and stamina.

I've now recommended my entire family to begin taking NR for their various health ailments.  I hope to report good news on their behalf soon as well, because they have many ailments they currently suffer from.

Thank you LongeCity!

Edited by Reven, 23 March 2019 - 04:26 PM.

• Informative x 6
  • unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#2105 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

I have been taking NR for approximately 6 weeks now.  I have mostly nothing but good things to say about how I feel.  The only negative is it's sometimes difficult to sleep (reduced dosing helps), but the increased energy during the day is incredible!   

What was your dosage during the 6 weeks?

#2106 Reven

• 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

What was your dosage during the 6 weeks?

It varied between 250-500 mg (one day I tried 750).  I found 500 is a bit too much for me and can interfere with sleep sometimes.  Right now I'm taking 300 a day.

Edited by Reven, 23 March 2019 - 08:21 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • WellResearched x 1

#2107 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

Anybody taking MitoQ & NMN together. Any benefits?

• Off-Topic x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#2108 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

I did have to discontinue Pterostilbene, because I believe it caused my index finger's joint to swell and get stiff for a couple days.  After reading the forums I almost immediately concluded it was probably that substance causing issues.  Rather than taking TMG I also drink 8-12 ounces of high quality beet juice daily for methylation, nitric oxide production, and stamina.

This is encouraging to me, as it seems to be additional evidence that pterostilbene is my problem and not NR. Thanks for posting this. Since stopping pterostilbene and NR about 2 weeks ago, I went from (for 2-3+ months):

• 3-8 pain scale in my wrist (depending on how I bent it)
  • 3-6 pain scale in my jammed finger (depending on how it bent)
  • 3-4 pain scale in my pulled hip flexor and TONS of tightness
  • popping shoulders when doing push-ups

To:

• 0-3 pain scale in my wrist, even with doing push-ups every day (some days >50)
  • 0-3 pain scale in my jammed finger
  • 0-2 pain scale in my pulled hip flexor and significantly less tightness
  • My shoulders did not pop today when I did my push-ups!

It seemed like I was healing at a slow trickle of 0.25% a day to seemingly gaining about 10-15% healing a day now or even more.

I plan to start back up on NR again, when I'm convinced the hip is back to where it needs to be, maybe a few more weeks. I will post again in another month or so, or if I encounter more sudden and odd joint pain (I'm thinking I'm good to go now).

Edited by jgkyker, 24 March 2019 - 12:07 AM.

• like x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#2109 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:54 AM

I'm pretty sure niagen was giving me canker sores. For those who don't know, canker sores really suck. I stopped and no more canker sores

So you previously were aware of a Herpes 1 infection? Or this is the first time in your life you ever had canker sores? 

Am curious about NR's affect on the immune system.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#2110 Reven

• 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

It seemed like I was healing at a slow trickle of 0.25% a day to seemingly gaining about 10-15% healing a day now or even more.

I plan to start back up on NR again, when I'm convinced the hip is back to where it needs to be, maybe a few more weeks. I will post again in another month or so, or if I encounter more sudden and odd joint pain (I'm thinking I'm good to go now).

I'm pleased I was able to help and that you're healing jgkyker.  I forgot to mention, on the same day that I got a flare up in my index finger, my hip/leg on my right side was hurting fairly bad as well, especially going up some stairs.  I wasn't quite sure I was going to make it to the top to give you some idea of how much I was impaired.  It went away fairly quickly though upon discontinuing the Pterostilbene.  I firmly believe NR is safe.  Good luck.

#2111 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 03:14 AM

So you previously were aware of a Herpes 1 infection? Or this is the first time in your life you ever had canker sores?

Am curious about NR's affect on the immune system.

Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not linked to herpes. I had not had a canker sore that I can recall since one when I was a small child. On Niagen I had 3, each lasting a week or so. Stopped and haven't had one since.
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2112 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:49 PM

Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not linked to herpes. I had not had a canker sore that I can recall since one when I was a small child. On Niagen I had 3, each lasting a week or so. Stopped and haven't had one since.

Thanks, any thoughts on how/why NR might result in canker sores? 

#2113 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

Thanks, any thoughts on how/why NR might result in canker sores? 

Since out of hundreds of reviews I've read about NR only this one mentions canker sores, I doubt there is a connection. 

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2114 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

Google it and I think one or two other people have similar issues. Most likely depleting b12 i think

#2115 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

I also noticed i would get canker sores while taking NR (500-750mg)

I never had them while not using NR
  • Informative x 3

#2116 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

I also noticed i would get canker sores while taking NR (500-750mg)

I never had them while not using NR

Very interesting. You see a few similar reports online if you google around.

Canker sores are a pretty dang specific ailment to happen. I personally feel high confidence that the two are related. If it were just me I would be a little skeptical.

To me this is enough to avoid Niagen as anything that causes canker sores can't be good for me.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2117 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:24 AM

Not sure if Pterostilbene is similar to resveratrol in that respect, but I was taking resveratrol and doing kung fu, and found that I felt like my tendons and ligaments were getting weak.

I cut it out, and it took several months to recover, perhaps 6 or 9 months. And I only partially recovered.

Some of that could also be due to taking ciprofloxacin on a couple of occasions.

Plan of Action:

1. Drop Pterostilbene - This seems to be the obvious first step, due to the site-wide Google search I linked above.

#2118 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Very interesting. You see a few similar reports online if you google around.

Canker sores are a pretty dang specific ailment to happen. I personally feel high confidence that the two are related. If it were just me I would be a little skeptical.

To me this is enough to avoid Niagen as anything that causes canker sores can't be good for me.

I have been following NR for 4+ years and have never seen any reference to "canker sores" I have also googled it and found nothing. Can you give us a link or two to what you are talking about?

#2119 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

DNA damage-induced PARP1 activation confers cardiomyocyte dysfunction through NAD+ depletion in experimental atrial fibrillation

"Therefore, nicotinamide riboside represents a potential therapy for diseases in which NAD+ depletion has been implicated, such as heart art failure and AF. Importantly, conduction of clinical trials with drugs directed at PARP1-NAD+ pathway deserves strong priority, particularly to preserve quality of life and to attenuate devastating complications such as heart failure or stroke."

https://www.nature.c...467-019-09014-2

• Informative x 1

#2120 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

I have been following NR for 4+ years and have never seen any reference to "canker sores" I have also googled it and found nothing. Can you give us a link or two to what you are talking about?

https://www.longecit...amide-riboside/

So that's at least 3 reports just on longecity

#2121 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:35 PM

Hi ive been off the page for a while, a few years back i started with NR (live cell) i started taking 500/750g a day and had amazing positive reaults , energy , clear thinking and over all wellbeing. I stop started alot and then when on to try other brands to find a better deal such as HPN... when i found is ive never really gotten that same feeling back?!

I even spent £300 on the NAD nasal spray but that did nothing for me.

I know it works as ive had early on results that just can not be ignored, my main reason for trying NR was to help battle drug addiction.
This view come from reading and researching the amazing reasults people got with NAD + iv .. i feel i got simular results! Cravings down and brain fog down . I just felt great.

I see the NMN powders and NAD online now and people talk about putting it under your thoung for better results ..

Id like to have another try with this but am confused as to what product to try .. can anyone help me make a better decsion ?

#2122 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:29 AM

https://www.longecit...amide-riboside/

So that's at least 3 reports just on longecity

I'm only seeing one on that page and that was on 500mg per day. I wouldn't be taking much notice of that as their are thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands by now worldwide, taking Nr and I'm sure if it was a common problem it would be all over the internet.
Always gonna be some people that react differently to different substances.

• Good Point x 1

#2123 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that people stop taking niagen. Just a heads up that we've had 3 users on longecity with canker sores now
  • Agree x 1

#2124 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

Nicotinamide riboside protects against liver fibrosis induced by CCl4 via regulating the acetylation of Smads signaling pathway

https://www.scienced...024320519302280

• Informative x 2

#2125 Reven

• 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

My experience with NR has been great so far, but I did discover a canker sore today on the inside of my right cheek.  I don't plan on quitting NR unless it gets worse or doesn't go away.  It's a minor sore and not very painful.  I have been under a great deal of stress though, so that could be a contributing factor.

#2126 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

My experience with NR has been great so far, but I did discover a canker sore today on the inside of my right cheek.  I don't plan on quitting NR unless it gets worse or doesn't go away.  It's a minor sore and not very painful.  I have been under a great deal of stress though, so that could be a contributing factor.

I also just had a canker sore on the inside of my left cheek. It was annoying but not too bad. I have been reading a lot about people thinking NR is causing canker sores, so that could be a contributing factor. 

:)

#2127 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

When you have a bad one inside the lower lip area it's really painful. I also had a couple minor ones like you guys have described that were mostly ignorable.

#2128 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 07:50 PM

any theories on how or why NR might be connected to canker sores? 

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2129 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

It probably isn't.

There's a certain rate or canker sores in the population, and if people get one right around the time they start taking a new supplement, they are likely to attribute them to that, when it may have zero connection.

To know for sure we'd have to  compare canker sore rates in NR users to those in non-NR users with a rather large population.

any theories on how or why NR might be connected to canker sores? 

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2130 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

I definetly know my ones where from high nr intake over a few weeks as everytime id push the NR levels id get one..

Not a problem...

Why would it be a problem to get a canker sore if it doesnt cause any pain?
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

Topic Led By